• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1]

Resource Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] v1.0.7

4AllNighterGrinder64

4 Sleepless nights to update to Teal Mask Part 1
I've just recently found an issue related to the animated sprites of Spinda. When I go to the Summary Menu of Spinda in the Party or PC, the game crashes. This happens when attempting to hover the hand cursor over Spinda in the PC. And it happens when attempting to view Spinda in the Summary Menu of the Pokemon Party Menu. I am using all of the updated versions of the Deluxe Battle Kit and all the Add-ons I need, and I am not using the Wonder Launcher and Item Ai add-ons. I am also using the Gen 9 Pack. Because I have just discovered this problem, I don't know if this could be a problem with my project build for my fan game, and if I have the time, I will see if the problem happens again with a stock Gen 9 setup. This is the error code I get:

Spinda PC and Party Menu Summary Crash Output:
Expand Collapse Copy
[Pokémon Essentials version 21.1]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: NoMethodError

Backtrace:
FormHandlers:118:in `pbSpindaSpots'
FormHandlers:154:in `block in <main>'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:113:in `block in compile_strip'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:113:in `times'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:113:in `compile_strip'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [004] Game Data.rb:251:in `sprite_bitmap_from_pokemon'
Pokemon_Sprites:51:in `setPokemonBitmap'
[Deluxe Battle Kit] [007] Shadow Pokemon.rb:90:in `setPokemonBitmap'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [005] Pokemon Sprites.rb:29:in `setPokemonBitmap'
[[MUI] Enhanced Pokemon UI] [004] Storage UI.rb:75:in `pbUpdateOverlay'

lvl30bear

Novice
Found a issue during battles themselves. I'm not sure if its Delta Speed up messing things or this script. If you choose to speed up a battle during said battle (using the default Q button), then the sprites themselves freeze up til you hit q a couple more times, and not in a consistent way.
Default settings for both this and delta speed up.

Lucidious89

Champion
I've just recently found an issue related to the animated sprites of Spinda. When I go to the Summary Menu of Spinda in the Party or PC, the game crashes. This happens when attempting to hover the hand cursor over Spinda in the PC. And it happens when attempting to view Spinda in the Summary Menu of the Pokemon Party Menu. I am using all of the updated versions of the Deluxe Battle Kit and all the Add-ons I need, and I am not using the Wonder Launcher and Item Ai add-ons. I am also using the Gen 9 Pack. Because I have just discovered this problem, I don't know if this could be a problem with my project build for my fan game, and if I have the time, I will see if the problem happens again with a stock Gen 9 setup. This is the error code I get:

Spinda PC and Party Menu Summary Crash Output:
Expand Collapse Copy
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: NoMethodError

Backtrace:
FormHandlers:118:in `pbSpindaSpots'
FormHandlers:154:in `block in <main>'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:113:in `block in compile_strip'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:113:in `times'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:113:in `compile_strip'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [004] Game Data.rb:251:in `sprite_bitmap_from_pokemon'
Pokemon_Sprites:51:in `setPokemonBitmap'
[Deluxe Battle Kit] [007] Shadow Pokemon.rb:90:in `setPokemonBitmap'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [005] Pokemon Sprites.rb:29:in `setPokemonBitmap'
[[MUI] Enhanced Pokemon UI] [004] Storage UI.rb:75:in `pbUpdateOverlay'
Yeah, its a known issue. Spinda in general is an absolute nightmare for this plugin, and ive spent literally the last three days straight on just writing code for Spinda lol

Lucidious89

Champion
Found a issue during battles themselves. I'm not sure if its Delta Speed up messing things or this script. If you choose to speed up a battle during said battle (using the default Q button), then the sprites themselves freeze up til you hit q a couple more times, and not in a consistent way.
Default settings for both this and delta speed up.
Thats an issue with that plugin.

4AllNighterGrinder64

4 Sleepless nights to update to Teal Mask Part 1
That's understandable. Figuring out a system for a Pokemon's whose unique spots is tied to the Personality Value would be a difficult problem to solve.
Yeah, its a known issue. Spinda in general is an absolute nightmare for this plugin, and ive spent literally the last three days straight on just writing code for Spinda lo

PattyOChairs

Novice
Loving this plugin a ton. I have noticed that Pumpkaboo and Gourgeists size changed forms aren't animated. Obviously this isn't a big deal, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.

Lucidious89

Champion
Loving this plugin a ton. I have noticed that Pumpkaboo and Gourgeists size changed forms aren't animated. Obviously this isn't a big deal, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.
This plugin doesn't include sprites for those forms. So the non-animated sprites you have must be from a prior sprite pack you added.

xDracolich

Novice
Is there a way to use this just for the animations on abilities and moves? I want parts of this plugin, but I'm not planning on switching all my sprites out, nor use the sprite scaling, but the mosaic form change is something I've wanted to implement for a while.

Lucidious89

Champion
Is there a way to use this just for the animations on abilities and moves? I want parts of this plugin, but I'm not planning on switching all my sprites out, nor use the sprite scaling, but the mosaic form change is something I've wanted to implement for a while.
You don't need to install the sprites, the code will work fine on static sprites. However, you will likely have to redo all of your metrics, as this plugin entirely revamps the metrics PBS system to allow for each species to cast its own shadow and for setting Super Shiny hues.

As for sprite scaling, you can pretty much ignore it by just setting the Front/Back scaling settings to 1.

xDracolich

Novice
Okay, thank you!

This is unrelated to this specific plugin, but how do I get rid of the "low HP" battle music? It's stressing me out, and I know it's from one of your plugins (I have most of them installed)

Lucidious89

Champion
Okay, thank you!

This is unrelated to this specific plugin, but how do I get rid of the "low HP" battle music? It's stressing me out, and I know it's from one of your plugins (I have most of them installed)
It's a toggleable option in DBK.

Lucidious89

Champion
Lucidious89 updated Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] with a new update entry:

v1.0.4 Update

• Set the default ANIMATION_FRAME_DELAY setting to 90 to slow down global animation speeds a tad. I feel like the overall speed was slightly too quick after the v1.0.2 update.
  • Added a new setting in the in-game Options menu that allows you to turn animated sprites on or off.
  • When sprite animations are turned off in the Options, in-battle sprite bobbing for the player's Pokemon during command selection will be automatically enabled. If animations are on, sprite...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Willix

Novice
Thanks for your efforts making this possible @Lucidious89, it works great, menu toggles is fantastic and I can't imagine the nightmare making Spinda work has been (I had my animated sprites working without that dots because I couldn't find out a way). As someone else has said before, the only issue comes when using delta speed up, my sprites also stop animating when changing game speed. It doesn't happen only on battles but also on summary and pokedex screens. I've also noticed that it only happens when going back to default speed, animations can speed up without any problem but when game speed comes back to normal they freeze. I don't know how difficult this is to fix but it would def be nice to get it working, delta speed up is the main if not only speed up plugin for 21.1 now.

Lucidious89

Champion
Thanks for your efforts making this possible @Lucidious89, it works great, menu toggles is fantastic and I can't imagine the nightmare making Spinda work has been (I had my animated sprites working without that dots because I couldn't find out a way). As someone else has said before, the only issue comes when using delta speed up, my sprites also stop animating when changing game speed. It doesn't happen only on battles but also on summary and pokedex screens. I've also noticed that it only happens when going back to default speed, animations can speed up without any problem but when game speed comes back to normal they freeze. I don't know how difficult this is to fix but it would def be nice to get it working, delta speed up is the main if not only speed up plugin for 21.1 now.
From what ive been told, that's just a general issue with that plugin, not this one. It happens with other types of animations not related to Pokemon sprites or this plugin at all, too. Its just obviously more immediately noticeable on the Pokemon since you constantly see them.

Willix

Novice
From what ive been told, that's just a general issue with that plugin, not this one. It happens with other types of animations not related to Pokemon sprites or this plugin at all, too. Its just obviously more immediately noticeable on the Pokemon since you constantly see them.
Oh that's a shame, I hope that it gets fixed from the delta plugin side then, or someone is able to make a more consistent fast forward plugin. Btw, I'm just reading your wiki and it's just crazy how you've managed to do the spinda thing. Congrats and thanks again, you're the best!

rafahbit

Trainer
I updated all the plugins and encountered a problem again in the Pokédex when I moved to an empty space. It gave the error:

Exception NoMethodError' at [[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [003] Pokemon UI.rb:80 - undefined method id' for nil:NilClass

I added a check to ensure that species and form are not nil before trying to access id

class PokemonPokedex_Scene:
Expand Collapse Copy
class PokemonPokedex_Scene
  def setIconBitmap(species)
    return if species.nil?  #Added this line to check if the species is null
    gender, form, _shiny = $player.pokedex.last_form_seen(species)
    @sprites["icon"].setSpeciesBitmap(species, gender, form, false)
    species_data = GameData::Species.get_species_form(species, form)
    return if species_data.nil?  # Add this line to check if species_data is nil
    species_id = species_data.id
    @sprites["icon"].pbSetDisplay([112, 196, 224, 216], species_id)
  end
end

I did the same in another function

class PokemonPokedexInfo_Scene:
Expand Collapse Copy
class PokemonPokedexInfo_Scene
  alias animated_pbUpdateDummyPokemon pbUpdateDummyPokemon
  def pbUpdateDummyPokemon
    animated_pbUpdateDummyPokemon
    return if @species.nil?  #Add this line to check if @species is nil
    species_data = GameData::Species.get_species_form(@species, @form)
    @sprites["infosprite"].pbSetDisplay([104, 136, 208, 200], species_id)
    @sprites["formfront"].pbSetDisplay([130, 158, 200, 196], species_id) if @sprites["formfront"]
    if @sprites["formback"] && @sprites["formfront"]
      sp_data = GameData::SpeciesMetrics.get_species_form(@species, @form, @gender == 1)
      if sp_data.back_sprite_scale != sp_data.front_sprite_scale
        zoomX = sp_data.front_sprite_scale.to_f / sp_data.back_sprite_scale
        zoomY = sp_data.front_sprite_scale.to_f / sp_data.back_sprite_scale
        @sprites["formback"].zoom_x = zoomX
        @sprites["formback"].zoom_y = zoomY
      end
      @sprites["formback"].pbSetDisplay([382, 158, 200, 196], species_id, true)
    end
  end
end

This was just a mediocre solution to make it work while I continue with my project. Of course, I will prefer to update the script when there's another update. I'm not any kind of programmer and understand very little, but I thought it would be important to mention the error and show how I managed to make it work in my own way.

Last edited:

Lucidious89

Champion
I updated all the plugins and encountered a problem again in the Pokédex when I moved to an empty space. It gave the error:

Exception NoMethodError' at [[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [003] Pokemon UI.rb:80 - undefined method id' for nil:NilClass

I added a check to ensure that species and form are not nil before trying to access id

class PokemonPokedex_Scene:
Expand Collapse Copy
class PokemonPokedex_Scene
  def setIconBitmap(species)
    return if species.nil?  #Added this line to check if the species is null
    gender, form, _shiny = $player.pokedex.last_form_seen(species)
    @sprites["icon"].setSpeciesBitmap(species, gender, form, false)
    species_data = GameData::Species.get_species_form(species, form)
    @sprites["icon"].pbSetDisplay([112, 196, 224, 216], species_id)
  end
end

I did the same in another function

class PokemonPokedexInfo_Scene:
Expand Collapse Copy
class PokemonPokedexInfo_Scene
  alias animated_pbUpdateDummyPokemon pbUpdateDummyPokemon
  def pbUpdateDummyPokemon
    animated_pbUpdateDummyPokemon
    return if @species.nil?  #Add this line to check if @species is nil
    species_data = GameData::Species.get_species_form(@species, @form)
    @sprites["infosprite"].pbSetDisplay([104, 136, 208, 200], species_id)
    @sprites["formfront"].pbSetDisplay([130, 158, 200, 196], species_id) if @sprites["formfront"]
    if @sprites["formback"] && @sprites["formfront"]
      sp_data = GameData::SpeciesMetrics.get_species_form(@species, @form, @gender == 1)
      if sp_data.back_sprite_scale != sp_data.front_sprite_scale
        zoomX = sp_data.front_sprite_scale.to_f / sp_data.back_sprite_scale
        zoomY = sp_data.front_sprite_scale.to_f / sp_data.back_sprite_scale
        @sprites["formback"].zoom_x = zoomX
        @sprites["formback"].zoom_y = zoomY
      end
      @sprites["formback"].pbSetDisplay([382, 158, 200, 196], species_id, true)
    end
  end
end

This was just a mediocre solution to make it work while I continue with my project. Of course, I will prefer to update the script when there's another update. I'm not any kind of programmer and understand very little, but I thought it would be important to mention the error and show how I managed to make it work in my own way.
Fixed.

Thomwell

Trainer
Hello, after importing the new plugin and deleting the file, the following BUG appeared. I hope to receive your professional analysis and solution. Thank you very much.

[v21.1Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: ArgumentError

Backtrace:
[Innate Abilities] Innate Abilities - Species.rb:274:in `shows_shadow?'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:329:in`pbChangePokemon'
Scene_Initialize:86:in `block in pblnitSprites'
Scene Initialize:84:in`each'
Scene_Initialize:84:in`each_with index'
Scene_Initialize:84:in`pblnitSprites'
BugContestBattle:8:in`pblnitSprites'
[Deluxe Battle Kit] [000] Midbattle Animations.rb:10:in`pblnitSprites'
[[DBK] Wonder Launcher] [008] Battle Scene.rb:10:in`pblnitSprites'
[[DBK] Enhanced Battle UI] [000] Main.rb:54:in`pblnitSprites'

Back