• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1]

Resource Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] v1.0.7

Willix

Novice
Hi, I'm running an older version of DBK with some addons and I made my own animated sprites code using GIFs (cause I couldn't figure out how to make the spritesheets work). Thing is, I have a toggle in options to let the player decide if they want sprites to be animated or not, is there a way to achieve this using this addon? Definitely wanting to change to yours since it's for sure better coded and has some cool additions, like shadows and substitute, but I don't want to lose the ability to decide whether to animate sprites or not for my game.

komeiji514

Elite Trainer
Hi, I'm running an older version of DBK with some addons and I made my own animated sprites code using GIFs (cause I couldn't figure out how to make the spritesheets work). Thing is, I have a toggle in options to let the player decide if they want sprites to be animated or not, is there a way to achieve this using this addon? Definitely wanting to change to yours since it's for sure better coded and has some cool additions, like shadows and substitute, but I don't want to lose the ability to decide whether to animate sprites or not for my game.
I also want this mechanic.

Lucidious89

Champion
I also want this mechanic.
Im not entirely sure I see the point in such an option, but it seems trivially easy to add, so sure.

Willix

Novice
Im not entirely sure I see the point in such an option, but it seems trivially easy to add, so sure.
Just a matter of preference, some of my testers told me that they don't like the animated sprites, they prefer the old static ones, while others do like them. Besides, some low spec PCs and people trying to play on phone (really trying to make it joiplay compatible) had severe lag when using animated sprites so I made a static option to improve frame rate (but that's because I was using GIFs, I guess that this lag problem will not appear when using spritesheets)

drawntoast

Cooltrainer
Great plugin! I did find an issue, however. It seems that Spinda makes the game crash since the game can't randomize its spots. I'm certain that's the issue.

Lucidious89

Champion
Great plugin! I did find an issue, however. It seems that Spinda makes the game crash since the game can't randomize its spots. I'm certain that's the issue.
It's a typo. I can get it working, but the issue is that its spots remain static, so they don't "move" with the sprite's animation. So I'll have to tinker with that before releasing the fix.

Bguy7

Pokémon Sol Version Creator
I was wondering, I'm interested in some of the bonus features of this plug in, but not the animated sprites and scaling features, as I have a large amount of custom Pokémon, and making animations of them does not seem like a good use of my time to me. But, I still would like to have things like the Substitute animations, color changes for status conditions, and proper semi-invulnerable sprite hiding. Are the animation and scaling functions optional? Or does the plugin require format changes that mandate their use?

komeiji514

Elite Trainer
I was wondering, I'm interested in some of the bonus features of this plug in, but not the animated sprites and scaling features, as I have a large amount of custom Pokémon, and making animations of them does not seem like a good use of my time to me. But, I still would like to have things like the Substitute animations, color changes for status conditions, and proper semi-invulnerable sprite hiding. Are the animation and scaling functions optional? Or does the plugin require format changes that mandate their use?
It's OK to just use vanilla sprites(change settings of battler sprite scale according to size of your sprites)

Lucidious89

Champion
Static sprites are fine, though you will likely have to redo all of your metrics.

Vizra

Rookie
I wrote a review with this information before I realized there was a discussion board here. Just wanted to post this here: The Gen 1-5 sprites perhaps needs a new source or a new rip as these have a bunch of pokemon that are poor quality. For example:

Kirlia back sprite has the top of her head cut off.
Mew front sprite is insanely compressed and fuzzy.

I can come back with a list of some sprites that would need updating, but tbh I think it would be better to just get a fresh rip of these sprites.

Lucidious89

Champion
I wrote a review with this information before I realized there was a discussion board here. Just wanted to post this here: The Gen 1-5 sprites perhaps needs a new source or a new rip as these have a bunch of pokemon that are poor quality. For example:

I can come back with a list of some sprites that would need updating, but tbh I think it would be better to just get a fresh rip of these sprites.
They're taken directly from EBDX, so they're the same quality sprites as everyone has been using since v18. The only ones that were completely unusable were Combusken, Altaria, and Victreebel, but those were fixed before release. You're right about Kirlia though, I never noticed it until now.

If you have better quality ones you'd like to contribute, I'm happy to add them.

drawntoast

Cooltrainer

If I may add Glameow and Grovyle to that list too, since Glameow is missing part of its tail and Grovyle is missing part of its head in its animation.

Lucidious89

Champion
Unlike with the actual code, I consider the sprite pack itself a community project and open to contributions. I'm not a spriter, nor do I have the patience to fix any of them. So none of them will be fixed unless people contribute.

ardicoozer

Cooltrainer
After ditto using a Transform moves, I got this error....
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
[Pokémon Essentials version 21.1]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: RGSSError

Backtrace:
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:257:in `width'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:257:in `mosaicRefresh'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:217:in `bitmap='
228:BattleAnimationPlayer:812:in `block in update'
228:BattleAnimationPlayer:802:in `times'
228:BattleAnimationPlayer:802:in `update'
[[DBK] Dynamax] [011] Battle.rb:292:in `block in pbAnimationCore'
[[DBK] Dynamax] [011] Battle.rb:291:in `loop'
[[DBK] Dynamax] [011] Battle.rb:291:in `pbAnimationCore'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:354:in `pbAnimationCore'

Lucidious89

Champion
After ditto using a Transform moves, I got this error....
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
[Pokémon Essentials version 21.1]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: RGSSError

Backtrace:
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:257:in `width'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:257:in `mosaicRefresh'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:217:in `bitmap='
228:BattleAnimationPlayer:812:in `block in update'
228:BattleAnimationPlayer:802:in `times'
228:BattleAnimationPlayer:802:in `update'
[[DBK] Dynamax] [011] Battle.rb:292:in `block in pbAnimationCore'
[[DBK] Dynamax] [011] Battle.rb:291:in `loop'
[[DBK] Dynamax] [011] Battle.rb:291:in `pbAnimationCore'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [006] Battler Sprites.rb:354:in `pbAnimationCore'
Are you on the latest version?

Lucidious89

Champion
yeah.....I'm using a latest version of this plugin..
Well, I'm unable to replicate this error. Ditto transforms just fine for me. So you're gonna have to provide me a lot more detail about how and when this crash occurs, or what modifications you've made to your game. Because the error seems to be stating that Ditto's sprite has been disposed during the Transform animation, which isn't how it works in vanilla Essentials at least.

Lucidious89

Champion
Back