• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Bill's Experiments: Episode 1

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic Castle Header.png

Game Title:
"Bill's Experiments: Episode 1"

Game Screenshots:
titlescreen.png
woahdigitally.png

machine.png
pokecenter.png

Game Download:
Download v1.1 (Mediafire)

Made Using:
Engine: Pokémon Essentials v18 - RPG Maker XP
IDE: Visual Studio Code
Audio Editing: Audacity & FL Studio 12

Image Editing: Paint.NET & Adobe Illustrator

Team:
Developer: @ENLS
Beta Tester: @Voltseon

Notes:

"After leaving everything behind and moving to Kanto,
you find something weird in your attic. A letter, talking about
developing some kind of "system for Pokémon".
Being the expert developer that you are, you choose to investigate this
further, taking you on an unforgetable journey. You are going to create

the world's very first digital storage system, for Pokémon."

Resource Pack:

Resource Pack Download

Credits:
Team
Game Developer: ENLS
Beta Tester: Voltseon

Plugins
Essentials Text Skip: Amethyst, Kurotsune

Voltseon's Handy Tools: Voltseon

Luka's Scripting Utilities: Luka SJ
Modular Pause Menu: Luka SJ
Modular Title Screen: Luka SJ

Marin's Scripting Utilities: Marin
Better Fast-forward Mode: Marin
Quicksave: Marin
HM Items: Marin
Better Region Map: Marin, Boonzeet

Following Pokemon EX: Golisopod User, Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, mej71, Help-14, PurpleZaffre, Akizakura16

Other Resources
Pokemon FRLG Maps: JohtoBlaziken

Winter Game Jam 2 Resources: Relic Castle staff

Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds: MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer

FMOD Ex API: FIRELIGHT TECHNOLOGIES PTY LTD.
RGSS: Enterbrain
RGSS Linker, RGSS FmodEx, Audio (FmodEx): Nuri Yuri
LOOP_TABLE: GiraPrimal

Extra thanks to
Thundaga: For his epic tutorials <3

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Here's where I used graphics:

Last edited:

Naclov

Rookie
I got trapped in the bike shop during chapter 2. There is an invisible border when you try to move out of the door frame in the over world. The only place to move to is back to the other side of the door frame back inside the bike shop.

Beat the game, here are my notes!

Aesthetic
The title screen and starting UI are nice. That's all I can really comment on, because the rest is standard FRLG. I wish that you had gone full out with the aesthetic, perhaps getting the UI to match... I know there are a few resources out there that could have made it possible. In addition, I think it would have been more fitting if you chose remakes of Kanto music for the game's OST, rather than Johto songs. But that might just be my personal preference.

The Gameplay
I'm sad that there isn't much to this entry. It's just a line of trainer battles, followed by running back and forth in the world. Also, like with Quantum, I did come across a few locked areas and blank NPCs. There's not much else I can comment on.

The Writing
I feel like this game had a lot of untapped potential to be an interesting story. Perhaps it was just my expectations going in, but I was expecting something more compelling than I got. While some parts of the story and its jokes were fine, others were a bit off-putting. (The text speak, the informal language from people like the Fanclub Man and Silph Co. President.)

Bugs
1. No sound as I exit.
2. No battleback.
3. No dialogue.
4. This is the most important bug I came across. You should either disable Teleport's overworld effect, or find a way to make it so that the player can't use it to reach old maps. (I was able to do this to reach the old Cerulean City map, and thus softlocked myself out of continuing the story. Honestly, you could just use the same route, and have the events switch around once some time has passed. I think that'd be the easiest way of going about things.)
5. This hiker has a fantastic costume.
6. No dialogue.
7. Collison.
8. I've.
9. Didn't catch a screenshot, but there's a lowercase I in the discussion Bill and Lanette have while making the machine.

09frrhN.png

DLJWqg9.png

GLi2kda.png

xjb7Uct.png

VIjmJ1w.png

q5VE69e.png

evh19fU.png

FD2JxvV.png

Overall
I have my criticisms of the game, but I can see that the time crunch definitely influenced how things played out. I really do believe you have the potential for an interesting story here, though. The story behind the creation of Pokémon Storage, and the more general themes around it could make for an interesting fangame.

Beat the game, here are my notes!

Aesthetic
The title screen and starting UI are nice. That's all I can really comment on, because the rest is standard FRLG. I wish that you had gone full out with the aesthetic, perhaps getting the UI to match... I know there are a few resources out there that could have made it possible. In addition, I think it would have been more fitting if you chose remakes of Kanto music for the game's OST, rather than Johto songs. But that might just be my personal preference.

The Gameplay
I'm sad that there isn't much to this entry. It's just a line of trainer battles, followed by running back and forth in the world. Also, like with Quantum, I did come across a few locked areas and blank NPCs. There's not much else I can comment on.

The Writing
I feel like this game had a lot of untapped potential to be an interesting story. Perhaps it was just my expectations going in, but I was expecting something more compelling than I got. While some parts of the story and its jokes were fine, others were a bit off-putting. (The text speak, the informal language from people like the Fanclub Man and Silph Co. President.)

Bugs
1. No sound as I exit.
2. No battleback.
3. No dialogue.
4. This is the most important bug I came across. You should either disable Teleport's overworld effect, or find a way to make it so that the player can't use it to reach old maps. (I was able to do this to reach the old Cerulean City map, and thus softlocked myself out of continuing the story. Honestly, you could just use the same route, and have the events switch around once some time has passed. I think that'd be the easiest way of going about things.)
5. This hiker has a fantastic costume.
6. No dialogue.
7. Collison.
8. I've.
9. Didn't catch a screenshot, but there's a lowercase I in the discussion Bill and Lanette have while making the machine.

09frrhN.png

DLJWqg9.png

GLi2kda.png

xjb7Uct.png

VIjmJ1w.png

q5VE69e.png

evh19fU.png

FD2JxvV.png

Overall
I have my criticisms of the game, but I can see that the time crunch definitely influenced how things played out. I really do believe you have the potential for an interesting story here, though. The story behind the creation of Pokémon Storage, and the more general themes around it could make for an interesting fangame.
Oo thanks for playing, and for the feedback!

I made the game in 7 days, and I'm definitely not very proud of it hah. I was making Quantum with Voltseon, but I also wanted to do a solo entry so I came up with this great idea but I limited my time so much so I half-assed it (should probably have spent those 7 days only focusing on quantum)
So yeah, definitely not turn out to be what I imagined when I started, but I might do an entire redo of the story and do it right. (and not give myself a week)

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Hi there. I just finished your game. I know you said that you made this game in only a few days, but I thought I'd offer some feedback anyway.

1. I liked the concept of the game - the creation of the Pokémon storage system.
2. I enjoyed the music choice, particularly for the title screen.
3. The small tweaks to standard FRLG maps were nice.

1. This will be my harshest criticism: I'm not entirely sure why this game had trainers other than to pad out playtime. I think this game should've focussed entirely on the story. I know you were pushed for time, but I guess this is something to think about if you work on this game after the Game Jam.
2. I agree with Ekat's comment about certain bits of dialogue slipping into being overly informal, especially set against all the other NPCs who had fairly standard Pokémon game text. That said, I did chuckle at the Fan Club lady casually breaking the fourth wall with regards to the bike voucher and Bill meeting Bill in Saffron City.
3. Do Bill and Lanette have a history? Otherwise, I felt like some of Bill's comments were a tad inappropriate. Maybe the comments were inappropriate either way thinking about it now.
4. "The door is locked" - the ultimate "I didn't have time to map the interiors for these buildings" line.

Man has no text after giving you his Ponyta.
ss1.png

Reflection in the void.
ss2.png

No diaglogue.
ss3.png

Reflection in the void + no BGM.
ss4.png

No map transfer to Saffron City in the gatehouse south of Cerulean City.
ss5.png

Reflection in the void.
ss7.png

The east and west gatehouses in Saffron city didn't have any background music.

Overall, I think this game could be really good with polish. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for whether you continue developing this game after the Game Jam.

Until next time!

Hi there. I just finished your game. I know you said that you made this game in only a few days, but I thought I'd offer some feedback anyway.

1. I liked the concept of the game - the creation of the Pokémon storage system.
2. I enjoyed the music choice, particularly for the title screen.
3. The small tweaks to standard FRLG maps were nice.

1. This will be my harshest criticism: I'm not entirely sure why this game had trainers other than to pad out playtime. I think this game should've focussed entirely on the story. I know you were pushed for time, but I guess this is something to think about if you work on this game after the Game Jam.
2. I agree with Ekat's comment about certain bits of dialogue slipping into being overly informal, especially set against all the other NPCs who had fairly standard Pokémon game text. That said, I did chuckle at the Fan Club lady casually breaking the fourth wall with regards to the bike voucher and Bill meeting Bill in Saffron City.
3. Do Bill and Lanette have a history? Otherwise, I felt like some of Bill's comments were a tad inappropriate. Maybe the comments were inappropriate either way thinking about it now.
4. "The door is locked" - the ultimate "I didn't have time to map the interiors for these buildings" line.

Man has no text after giving you his Ponyta.
View attachment 3081

Reflection in the void.
View attachment 3082

No diaglogue.
View attachment 3083

Reflection in the void + no BGM.
View attachment 3084

No map transfer to Saffron City in the gatehouse south of Cerulean City.
View attachment 3085

Reflection in the void.
View attachment 3086

The east and west gatehouses in Saffron city didn't have any background music.

Overall, I think this game could be really good with polish. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for whether you continue developing this game after the Game Jam.

Until next time!
Thanks for playing!
I will definitely be trying to redo the game (from scratch) after the Game Jam!
I'm glad you liked the concept, and I will be trying to do it better next time!
And also, thanks for the positive feedback! <3

luxdiablo

Berserk Inferno
Hi ENLS! You watched me play this on stream, so I'll keep it short, but I wanted to drop a review anyways!

The gameplay was really neat! I think the main thing I enjoyed was the cutscenes, they were done pretty well. There were some instances where you could've made use of Following Pokemon EX's move route functionality, just for the sake of polish (and so Bill isn't standing on his Pokemon 24-7). Otherwise, there's not much to comment on here. The game was pretty standard and formulaic, which is understandable given your time constraints and such. I think it'd probably be better to make some of the encounters more interesting, like when finding the Ponyta, it was a simple grab-and-go type thing, which felt very bland.

Not much to say here either, lol. The only real comment I have is that the mapping was kinda boring throughout the game, but that probably doesn't matter to you too much. Everything else was really standard and used base Essentials graphics, which isn't bad per se, but it's not the best either.

Again, not much to say here. I think there was a VERY good premise to be had here, and I think if you had more time, you totally could've expanded on it. Maybe trying to craft the PC, trying different experiments as minigames, or something like that would be really cool. Being able to walk through Bill's process of making the PC would be really interesting and super cool.

Overall, it's definitely a solid entry. Not much to comment on outside of the interesting premise. I think this game has a huge amount of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back