• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Overview Tutorials and Resources Requests

This is an informative overview thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TypicalJalapeno

Novice
Is there any intro before titlescreen script around? I searched one on Google but it's not adapted to Essentials, so it doesn't work.
Try Luka S.J.'s title screens and maybe PM him for that (How'd he manage to insert that and blah blah).

Rhyden

Shuckle Kheen
Does anyone know where to find Gen 2 styled sprites for 6th & 7th Gen Pokémon? At least for now I'd like to know where I can find Goomy and Jangmo-o sprites.
Or was gen 2 too big of a mistake for people to make them?

moca

Aki's Favorite; Next Mod
Does anyone know where to find Gen 2 styled sprites for 6th & 7th Gen Pokémon? At least for now I'd like to know where I can find Goomy and Jangmo-o sprites.
Or was gen 2 too big of a mistake for people to make them?
You may've lready found some by now but I found this and this.

Jephed

Trainer
I'm not sure if this already exists, but in HGSS the 1st Pokémon in your party (the following Pokémon) isn't send out of it's Pokéball when it is send out to battle, but rather glides on screen from the left side.
As far as I know this is not something that's implemented in the Pokémon Following script, so I was wondering if there's a way to replicate this way of entering the battle.

Last edited:

Vendily

Elite Trainer
I second that this would be a neat feature, and I even know where to look (but I don't do UI or Scene stuff so that's on someone else.)
Anyway, def pbSendOut in PokeBattle_Scene is for the sending out of the Pokemon on the player's side.
class PlayerFadeAnimation is where the player and partner do the throw animation stuff as they slide off screen.
I'm not sure if this already exists, but in HGSS the 1st Pokémon in your party (the following Pokémon) isn't send out of it's Pokéball when it is send out to battle, but rather glides on screen from the left side.
As far as I know this is not something that's implemented in the Pokémon Following script, so I was wondering if there's way to replicate this way of entering the battle.

chikorita

Novice
My request might seem a "bit" ambitious, but...

Is there any way for someone make a tutorial about upgrading scripts that is "plug-and-play" for non-experts? The reason for this request is for preservation purposes. Like someone who made a script drop off from the scene. Later, with essentials upgrades, the script will start having "no method error"/"sintax error", consequently stopping to work as intended.

Upgrades for a script is generally made by people who already knows about this stuff, but this kind of tutorial would be great for those who are learning or even those who wanna use a particular script, but are afraid of having to know "everything" about scripting just to do some small changes.
A tutorial about upgrading (not downgrading) in general would be fine.

I can imagine something like: (It is a LONG quote)

Before starting, you need to know:
  • Essentials/RMXP uses Ruby language;
  • This is a tutorial for upgrading;
  • Ctrl+F inside a script look only inside the script. Ctrl+Shift+F look in all scripts;
  • You need to understand the importance of Classes and Methods (maybe?);
  • Comments in RMXP is marked with a "#" or "=begin TEXT BELOW =end". They are marked as green. Comments are text that do nothing in the script, if you comment something that is not commented, it will stop working. Beware what you mark as commented text;
  • How to identify variable and switches inside a script. (maybe talk about $game_switch and $game_variable ?);
  • "If you don't know the very basics go to the suggestion section to learn a little before reading the tutorial" (?);
  • Know how to read error messages. Go to section "suggested sites about error messages";
  • Read the essentials change log, there's one for a reason. Also, see the date which your script was made, it can help you to know what version of essentials the script was made for;
  • Anything you find valid.
  1. Talk about the order in which the script list works. That would be useful for people who expect a script to work just putting it anywhere above main which is not true.
  2. Tell what is important when upgrading a script. Tell how it would work and such.
  3. Talk about "alias", since some scripts uses it. But without instiging the "updater" to use it, just explain what it is doing inside a script.
  4. Talk briefly about how to use the search.
  5. Pick an script as example (16.2 or below) and show what the developer should look for when upgrading (17.1). It would be perfect if it was a script made specifically for this containing every aspect of major things that changed over time, but I know this is pratically inviable. Just a few examples of changes made would work, no more than 6. The reason for this is because it can tire the reader, and we want them to keep focused on the tutorial.
  6. Maybe tell the "upgrader" to mark each line he is changing with a comment? Like: "before was '$game_variable[1]', then when you upgrade you will change to '$game_variable[2] #upgraded from 'game_variable[1]', this way you know what you changed and you can search later for 'upgraded' to know where yours change was made, and since is commented, it'll be green making it easy to keep track"

Another site about upgrading scripts:
Essentials turorial about upgrading scripts http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:How_to_upgrade_your_game#Upgrade_scripts
(more focused in you making track of your own scripts)

Suggest sites about the meaning of error messages:
Luka's video about error messages
Essentials "tutorial" about error messages http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages
^Sadly I only know these. But both are great resources.

Suggest sites for learning further, like:
https://www.ruby-lang.org
http://tryruby.org/
https://learnrubythehardway.org/book/
http://tryruby.org/
https://www.codecademy.com

I made it bold/underlined what I thought was important.
I can help listing some classes/methods and names of the scripts mentioned in each of the changelog since v1. This is the minimum I can do since I only know the basics and couldn't do such tutorial as much as I want.

If someone make this kind of tutorial, try to make this for starters (not noobs). You could try to make it for complete noobs, but it would demand more work than I would say necessary.
Also, this would be a tutorial for upgrading "plug-and-play" scripts, not scripts that mess with essentials "core" scripts. We don't want people asking/complaining "I changed a code in essentials and now is not working anymore!". We just need them to know how to change a external script. If they don't know, they can just give up in upgrading without harming their own project.
It could be also a tutorial for general RMXP, but I'm not sure how it would work out.

tl;dr: a tutorial about upgrading a script for amateurs.

Greetings and sorry for the long text.

Sparta

banished doof
Greetings and sorry for the long text.

That would be helpful, for sure. There might be an issue, though, as the reasons scripts stop working after Essentials updates often differs. And the level of skill needed to update those scripts can vary based on the scripts. One script might just need to change one line. Another might need you to rewrite thousands of code.

It's definitely a tutorial I'd think would be beneficial, but it'd probably be hard to teach amateurs how to update code, when they don't have a lot of coding skill.

That would be helpful, for sure. There might be an issue, though, as the reasons scripts stop working after Essentials updates often differs. And the level of skill needed to update those scripts can vary based on the scripts. One script might just need to change one line. Another might need you to rewrite thousands of code.

It's definitely a tutorial I'd think would be beneficial, but it'd probably be hard to teach amateurs how to update code, when they don't have a lot of coding skill.
Yeah, don't think it's realisable to make tutorials on how to upgrade a script. If you're talking public scripts, that's generally up to whoever made it. If it's small edits people make themselves, it shouldn't have broken.

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
There could at least be a general guide on the likely causes of incompatibility, and how to search for evidence of them (i.e. read the Essentials change log, ask). Certainly you couldn't get into specifics, because scripts will be rather different to each other and advice on fixing one will likely have no bearing on fixing another.

I'll make another guide suggestion, on a similar level, for how to make plug-n-play scripts in the first place. Why they're good (better than a stream of line modifications or wholesale replacement of methods/classes, at least), how to alias and inherit and super, when you can't and what you should do instead, that sort of thing. Maybe work some good coding practices into it as well (I know I could do with some of those). Code comments, label it with compatible Essentials versions and a date and author, credit requirements, etc.

Just because it's a guide doesn't mean it has to be aimed at beginners.

chikorita

Novice
There could at least be a general guide on the likely causes of incompatibility, and how to search for evidence of them (i.e. read the Essentials change log, ask). Certainly you couldn't get into specifics, because scripts will be rather different to each other and advice on fixing one will likely have no bearing on fixing another.

I'll make another guide suggestion, on a similar level, for how to make plug-n-play scripts in the first place. Why they're good (better than a stream of line modifications or wholesale replacement of methods/classes, at least), how to alias and inherit and super, when you can't and what you should do instead, that sort of thing. Maybe work some good coding practices into it as well (I know I could do with some of those). Code comments, label it with compatible Essentials versions and a date and author, credit requirements, etc.

This would be a better aproach than mine. And certainly not aimed at complete beginners. It's already difficult enough to handle those who can't even read the wiki. I mean, the answer is already there, but people don't like to look for it, nor know how to use RMXP event commands.

Also I'm already making a guide/demo for event commands, which'll show what you can do with them. Nothing fancy, just the basic as a try to lessen the amount of questions regarding the event departament. Eg: the "duel minigame" in essentials could be done only with events. It would take time for sure, but it can be done.

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!

I would actually love to read it.

This might be a bit specific but what the heck.
I've been looking for Pokemon backsprites that are gen 5 style; the full backsprites, not cutoff. Does anyone know of a resource with full backsprites?

Oh, might be worth mentioning: I'm not looking for EBS formatted sprites.

Luka S.J.

Wastage of Time
This might be a bit specific but what the heck.
I've been looking for Pokemon backsprites that are gen 5 style; the full backsprites, not cutoff. Does anyone know of a resource with full backsprites?

Oh, might be worth mentioning: I'm not looking for EBS formatted sprites.
So ... you're looking for Gen 5 sprites, like in EBS, but instead of the spritesheet just single frames like these?

Reactions: Aki

Jephed

Trainer
This might be a bit random, but is there a proper way to make your game play a short movie? I've been looking at the script section called: Scene_Movie and I've also set up an event that calls the script $scene = Scene_Movie.new("MovieOne") and lastly I've made a new folder in the rootfolder of my game that's called "Movies".

According to the website for Pokémon Essentials all of this should, in theory, work as long as the movie file is saved as a .avi file.

After all these steps it only plays the movie's audio and not the videofootage itself.
I haven't seen people touch this section of Essentials at all, and I figured it would be an awesome thing to add, if it actually works.
If someone can set up a proper tutorial for this or at least leave a message whether the script will ever work properly, that would be really appreciated. Haha

Thanks for your time! :)

updawg734

Whats up, dawg?
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find the surfing sprites for gen 5.

Basically what I'm looking for is this file:

94lwcvh.png

...but with gen 5 graphics, not gen 3. Surf + fishing and diving would be awesome to find too!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Jephed

Trainer
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find the surfing sprites for gen 5.

Basically what I'm looking for is this file:

94lwcvh.png

...but with gen 5 graphics, not gen 3. Surf + fishing and diving would be awesome to find too!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

I know the spriters resource has those sprites, but they're not alligned this way yet, which means you'd have to manually do that yourself. If you know what you're doing it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes though. Aside from that I don't know.

updawg734

Whats up, dawg?
I know the spriters resource has those sprites, but they're not alligned this way yet, which means you'd have to manually do that yourself. If you know what you're doing it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes though. Aside from that I don't know.

Thanks for the info!

Kipik

Novice
Does anyone have HGSS door characters? Can't find any u.u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back