• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Triad Master

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Version

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
Pokémon Triad Master
A Pokémon fangame made for Eevee Expo Game Jam #10
Made with Pokémon Essentials v21.1.dev
By Maruno and Caruban

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eb1csgwm1iv5t7i/Pok%C3%A9mon_Triad_Master.zip/file

LQ4a6F6.png

Description:

A nostalgic game with a twist, Pokémon Triad Master takes you on a journey through the Kanto region, collecting and battling, before finally challenging the strongest people the region has to offer.

But wait! Where are the Pokémon?

Pokémon Triad Master doesn't feature Pokémon or battles. Instead, you collect cards with Pokémon drawn on them, and you assemble them into decks and use them to duel other people in games of Triple Triad (that Final Fantasy minigame). Each city in Kanto has its own set of variant rules which spice up your duels and offer unique strategies. Defeat the Card Clubs to win Medals, and then take on the Card Masters at Indigo Plateau to achieve your goal of becoming a Triad Champion!

With over 150 cards to collect, an open world-style region, and a familiar setting but with distinctly unique gameplay, this is the rebirth of Pokémon in a way no one ever expected!

It's time to duel!

Screenshots:

KwdKp05.png

G5XRaXT.png

rtThWvs.png

pMdcIiX.png

KDf0peb.png

vBSzTFQ.png

KPMdeJg.png

Resource Pack:

None. All public assets used by this game can be found via the urls listed in the credits below.

Credits:

Game made by:
Maruno
Caruban

Trainer card back and Sparkle effect by:
AngelCWarrior on The Spriters Resource

PTCGO SE by:
TeridaxXD001 on The Sounds Resource

Cameraman, Reporter NPC charsets by:
Furs The Fox and Lunar994 on The Spriters Resource

Rock Paper Scissors Hand and Button sprites by:
redblueyellow on The Spriters Resource

Music by:
ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library

Other assets ripped or made by:
Maruno
Caruban

Promo card collection hints
There are a number of promo cards in the game. This section is a guide on how to collect them all. The first layer of spoilers will reveal hints, and the second layer of spoilers straight-up tells you what to do.

• Some promo cards are rewards for defeating the Card Masters. You can defeat them multiple times.
  • One promo card involves a trade in Fuchsia City.
  • Two promo cards involve trades in Pewter City.
  • One promo card is related to someone in Vermilion City and having a deck that meets a certain requirement.
  • One promo card is available from someone who is lost (after you have defeated the Card Masters).
  • Various promo cards are available after repeatedly defeating certain duelists. One of those duelists is initially unknown, and you'll have to discover who it is by speaking to various NPCs around the region (after defeating the Card Masters).
  • One promo card is a reward for winning the Dojo Tournament.
  • One promo card rarely appears in booster packs.

• The legendary Pokémon cards (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi) are earned by defeating the Card Masters. Your first victory will give you all three of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres (none can be shiny), and each subsequent victory gives you a random one of these cards.
  • In Fuchsia City is an NPC who will trade your Kangaskhan card for their Substitute promo card.
  • In Pewter City, a scientist appears by the museum if you have 6 or more Medals. They will trade your Kabutops for their Fossil K promo card, and your Aerodactyl for their Fossil A promo card.
  • In Vermilion City, talk to the Triple Triad Fan Club chairman while you have a deck filled with Rapidash cards (it doesn't need to be your active deck) to receive the Pikachu G1 promo card.
  • After you have defeated the Card Masters, talk to the lost NPC in the Psychic Club to receive the Unown Triad promo card.
  • Repeatedly defeat a Club Leader to get their character promo card. You get it after each 5th victory, but only if you have defeated the Card Masters.
  • Repeatedly defeat the Card Masters to get the Lance promo card. You get it after each 5th victory, in addition to the other card reward you normally get.
  • After defeating the Card Masters, 6 NPCs around the region start talking about a rumour of a powerful duelist. They are: someone in Pewter City's Card Shop, the man by the plot of land in Vermilion City, the girl by the fountain in Celadon City, the boy by Silph Co. in Saffron City, the person near the Duelist Tower in Lavender Town, someone in the lobby room at the Indigo Plateau. Speak to at least four of them, and the Prof. Oak can be dueled. Repeatedly defeat him to get the Prof. Oak promo card. You get it after each 5th victory.
  • The Dojo Tournament has a 25% chance of being on each time you start the game (before defeating the Card Masters) or 100% chance (after defeating the Card Masters). It is also always on after you have earned your 3rd and 5th Medals (even if you have already taken part in it in the current game session). The reward (the first time) is Charizard D. For subsequent victories, the reward is a random one of Substitute, Charizard D, Pikachu G1, Fossil A or Fossil K, or, if you have defeated the Card Masters, a random one out of those cards and Unown Triad and the 8 character cards you get from Club Leaders.
  • The secret Error Card promo card is found 1% of the time in any booster pack.
Where unspecified, a card has a chance of being shiny. For cards you trade for, trading away a shiny card will give you a shiny card; the received card will not be shiny otherwise.

Last edited:

Invatorzen

Umbra Dev
Got to the first club leader and it was really fun!

Played for about 25 minutes, and there's a good bit to enjoy here :)

Pros:
  • Aspect ratio
  • RPS minigame
  • The new card designs
  • Transferring between areas is cool
  • Pack opening animation!!
  • Hidden OW cards

Cons:
* White font on white cards are hard to read

Suggestions:
  • Card winnings, unlock new cards from enemies. Another reason to grind.
  • Ability to view the rules after they're shown at the start of a match

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
I've updated the game to version 1.0.1 to fix a potentially game-breaking bug related to the AI. If you have already downloaded this game, please download it again (the link is the same).

Phyromatical

Rookie
I LOVE the Idea and implementation. But I think some things might need to be refined. My Problem is that the game doesn't seem to tell you (or I'm blind lol) when you are overpowered. It's not hard to get some cards with good numbers early on. I'm at the second badge and while I get less money for being overpowered I'm kinda steamrolling right now. There isn't really a reason to include weakers cards for me, unless I want get more Money.
Also is there a bonus if I use a Monotype Deck (outside of Matches with special rules)?

Mashirosakura

With my wishes frozen in time and long forgotten
Discord Mod
I've been running into a freeze pretty consistently (every time) in Surge's place, from the trainer on the left. I think the game's flipping too many cards and it can't process it properly.
Just in case it's relevant, I'll post my deck below.
4m4liar.png

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
I've been running into a freeze pretty consistently (every time) in Surge's place, from the trainer on the left. I think the game's flipping too many cards and it can't process it properly.
Just in case it's relevant, I'll post my deck below.
I believe I've fixed this bug.

I've updated the game to version 1.0.2. If you have already downloaded this game, please download it again (the link is the same).

I LOVE the Idea and implementation. But I think some things might need to be refined. My Problem is that the game doesn't seem to tell you (or I'm blind lol) when you are overpowered. It's not hard to get some cards with good numbers early on. I'm at the second badge and while I get less money for being overpowered I'm kinda steamrolling right now. There isn't really a reason to include weakers cards for me, unless I want get more Money.
Also is there a bonus if I use a Monotype Deck (outside of Matches with special rules)?
"Overpowered" isn't defined. It's when the highest number on any of your cards is more than 2 greater than the highest number of any of your opponent's cards. It's not a very good definition, and I've got rid of this penalty. There's probably a better way to punish using overpowered decks.

There's still an Underdog Bonus for using cards that have a lower maximum value than your opponent.

There isn't a Monotype bonus, and I don't think there will be. Similarly, there's no bonus for using no duplicate cards.

M.T.Pockets

Novice
Game looks great. I love the charming animations and even just watching you move on the big map. My problem is I can't seem to duel anyone. I can't even seem to rematch with Sam. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
Game looks great. I love the charming animations and even just watching you move on the big map. My problem is I can't seem to duel anyone. I can't even seem to rematch with Sam. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Do you have an active deck? In your "My Decks" (in the pause menu), does one of your decks listed there have a gold deck box icon to the right of it? If not, select one and choose "Use this deck" from the options that appear.

Pi25

Novice
Love the game so far! I just beat the third gym leader. I'm trying to trade the old man on Cinnabar my Raichu card but for some reason it keeps saying I don't have one even though I do.

Edit: Beat the game :) How do you get all of the promotional cards?

Last edited:

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
I've made another minor update to the game to fix some card trade-related bugs. Please download it again if you've already downloaded it.

Edit: Beat the game :) How do you get all of the promotional cards?
I'll write a little guide on that in the first post shortly.

Phyromatical

Rookie
"Overpowered" isn't defined. It's when the highest number on any of your cards is more than 2 greater than the highest number of any of your opponent's cards. It's not a very good definition, and I've got rid of this penalty. There's probably a better way to punish using overpowered decks.
Ok, that makes sense. It's a bit hard to plan, though, as the player doesn't know the "Strength" of the Opponent. But I agree that some kind of balancing is necessary. I know some Card games (like some older Yu-GI-Oh Games) used a "Deck Point" Variable for things like these. At the start of the game you only had a few Deck Points, but throughout the game this number would grow. Using stronger cards would consume more deck points, so you had to decide. Do I use one stronger card in exchange for several weaker ones, Or do I balance this out more?
This is just one idea how to solve the problem of the overpowered decks. By the end of the game you could maybe get a free pass for deck building. But in the earlier stages you would be unable to be too overpowered.

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
We have plans for future updates, including for payouts. The simplest option is for the (base) payout to depend on the sum of all numbers on all of the opponent's cards (instead of having an underpowered bonus/overpowered penalty), so stronger opponents give out more money. But it's all subject to tuning and balancing.

Saucecoie

Lost in the Sauce
Expo Team
Found the game very hard to put down! As a card game enthusiast I'm very pleasantly surprised at how you managed to reinvent triple triad. One thing, though; I've noticed that for the dojo tournament, the listed rulesets are often wrong. I found myself having the terrain ruleset listed 3 times with no terrain in sight; Just a small oversight. Otherwise, clean game! Loved it!

M.T.Pockets

Novice
I had a lot of fun with this one. I liked these stripped down versions of the towns because the dialogue was amusing. Triad is a great game and personally if I was making an 8 gym game I'd include it as a sort of minigame like pokemon contests.

Also thought all the Oak foreshadowing was really well done. Johto cards were a nice surprise. How do you get the Lavender Battle Tower to open?

Had fun playing. Would've liked to see more booster packs with different pools so you have a bit more control over getting a specific card. Gameplay loop was fun. I managed to get all the cards except for the legendaries and promos. I'm personally more of a collector so I had more fun trying to complete the packs over the battles itself, found myself going autopilot for some of them.
Good game.

-FL-

Pokémon Island Creator
I became the champion with 4:20 of playtime. After the end I made a Deck full of promotional cards. Anyway, great job for a jam! I never imagined that I gonna enjoy so much a game just about Triple Triad!
I was expecting a fifth duel at league XD . I still don't know how to activate the Duel Tower

Increasing the screen size for using battlers rather than pokémon icons was a neat idea! And you did a lot of extra things for game concept, like: Animated intro, color options, different menu, rulebooks in menu with screen, sorting at card list, pack completeness percentage, jan-ken-po, character movement at map, shiny cards, custom credits... And even with all of this, you created a lot of post-game content (but with a repetitive loop).

Suggestions (first the most importants):
  1. Remove losing money when player is defeated. Making player lose money without any benefit (in standard pokémon at least you can earn exp) just make players resets when losing. A lot of TCGs does this, certain ones even give you some money when you lose.
  2. You can't check rules in the middle of game. Rulebook access will help a lot. Forgeting some details like "combo" is common when changing between cities.
  3. Use recipes instead of decks (two decks can use the same card). This encourages people to have more decks. Some TCGs do this, even Pokémon TCG game has recipe option.
  4. Show money in pause (not only Trainer Card). Since in this game money is more common than standard games and you can lose a lot more often, checking the money and spent all money available (so I can't lose much money) is something that I did a lot.
  5. Nerf the first opponent (Sam). He is quite strong, and he almost locked me without money at start since I lost to him several times, but I keep challenging him. And, different of standard games, you can't grind with wild Pidgeys.
  6. I was a little disappointed that shiny card aren't shiny sprites. Maybe you can do this or even use pokémon with different sprites (like Platinum sprites),
  7. Blaine without walk animation is very strange. Making a black fade and he disappears sounds a better option to me.
  8. Use gifs in the thread. You game have very nice animations.

Ideas (less than suggestions):
  1. Rock Paper Scissors winner choose the one who will start. Sometimes is better to let opponent start. Some TCG games did this.
  2. Use gen 3 sprites so hey fill better in the cards.
  3. Remove some opponents, but make the battles with two rounds (best of 3 duels), this way minimize the luck factor.

Bugs:
  1. At dojo, there is a "Terrain" rule without any terrain.
  2. Oak call me champion before I defeat E4, this is right?
  3. The NPC in Lavander call the tower as "Battle Tower", but the map show as "Duel Tower"
  4. Look at these images (the one at Saffron Gym is when teleporting).
    vmaF9dE.png
    99iCp7B.png

Last edited:

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
I've made another minor update to the game to fix some visual bugs (mentioned in posts above). Please download the game again if you have it already.

How do you get the Lavender Battle Tower to open?
I still don't know how to activate the Duel Tower
The Duel Tower in Lavender Town is not open for business yet. It was a stretch goal, but we didn't manage to get round to it. It'll be added in a future version.

I liked these stripped down versions of the towns because the dialogue was amusing.
I really like some of the dialogue. Plus there's a lot of snark if you talk to duelists without having a valid deck.

• I was a little disappointed that shiny card aren't shiny sprites. Maybe you can do this or even use pokémon with different sprites (like Platinum sprites),
The shiny Gyarados card features a red Gyarados. But the logic is that the card is what is shiny, not the Pokémon (and also I didn't want to get and crop hundreds more Pokémon sprites just for the shiny versions).

If you hadn't noticed, the Unown card's form depends on your name.

Increasing the screen size for using battlers rather than pokémon icons was a neat idea! And you did a lot of extra things for game concept, like: Animated intro, color options, different menu, rulebooks in menu with screen, sorting at card list, pack completeness percentage, jan-ken-po, character movement at map, shiny cards, custom credits... And even with all of this, you created a lot of post-game content (but with a repetitive loop).
Thanks for your detailed comments. I won't respond to all of them individually, but they've all been noted down. Half of them we already knew about and wanted to implement (e.g. the winner of Rock Paper Scissors would choose who goes first), but we didn't have the time.

Last edited:

Acehobby

Rookie
Fun game! two thing i noticed while playing (i was on an outdated version, but i just redownloaded and they're still there).
The first is that Viridian city gym's rules don't match with the rules of the city/the Viridian trainer outside of the gym
The second is that, while messing around for a side quest i made a deck, picked it as my active, then deleted it. any time i tried to fight trainers after that, after clicking yes to battle it would immediately give the stuff they would say as if you just beat them (including giving the badge if done on a gym leader), but without giving you money or increasing your win count vs them. i was able to fix it by picking any of my decks as active.

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
I love how the game recreated the feeling of a card game universe, down to getting juicy booster packs (and an equally juicy animation) and just battling people for shits and giggles. Triple Triad was obviously very fun to play and flawless in its base execution.

I suppose it was an attempt of gameplay variety and adding another layer of strategy, I wasn't a huge fan of a lot of the terrain effects but really liked some of the others (the ones i didn't like only forced me to pick another deck). Losing money for losing definitely hurts when I get stuck at a certain trainer (i can't afford booster packs :v), but that's really it for criticism

Back