• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Gaia Version

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.

Pokémon Gaia Version - a hack of FireRed

Story

The storied Orbtus region was once populated by a prosperous civilization. They created several monuments to their gods and guardians. Their untimely demise was brought about by a series of disastrous earthquakes; all that remains of their society are their temples, idols and story, as relics of the past.​
In the present day, local archaeologist and Pokémon Professor, Professor Redwood, has noticed an increase in the region's seismic activity. Propelled by a growing concern for Orbtus' safety, he seeks the assistance of new Pokémon Trainers with a flair for adventure in the rural Celanto Town, a seaside town near the mysterious Totem Poles, and your home! Will you, along with the help of the Professor and your rival, be able to prevent the earth from consuming the region once more?​

Features

• The Physical / Special / Status split
  • Pokémon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos
  • New moves and updated move sets, accurate to OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, and with working effects and animations
  • Modern competitive items like the Choice Specs, Assault Vest, Ability Pill, and more
  • Modern abilities, ranging from Mega Launcher to Sheer Force
  • An in-battle Mega Evolution system, with Mega Stones hidden throughout the region
  • Fairy-type and the new type chart
  • Updated Pokémon sprites
  • Updated Trainer sprites and accurate over world sprites
  • Original songs, like Windmist City's theme and the battle music for the Elder Knights
  • Rock Climb and climbable walls
  • Dive and underwater maps, fully ported from Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald
  • Hidden Grottoes and Secret Temples, which reward exploration with rare items and Pokémon with unique move sets
  • The Bug-Catching Contest
  • The Battle Marsh, a Battle Maison-esque facility
  • Sideways stairs
  • Various quality of life changes:
  • The player faces Trainers before battles
  • Running Shoes can be used indoors
  • Pokémon, item, location, etc. names are in title case
  • A bonus Premier Ball is given for every purchase of ten or more Poké Balls
  • Repellents give reuse prompts upon expiration
  • Experience Points are gained upon Pokémon capture
  • Technical Machine items are reusable
  • Field moves have faster animations

Screenshots

titlescreen.png
redwood.png
reliquia_ruins.png
relicanth_tablet.png
wisp_forest.png
oppos.png
mega.png
town_map.png
11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
16.png
17.png
18.png
19.png
20.png
21.png
22.png
23.png
25.png
26.png
27.png
28.png
29.png
2.png
3.png
5.png

[/SPOILER]

Team

Special thanks and credits

Tools used

Awards

• First Place, Overall Favourite, Best Mapping, Best Scripting, Best Storyline, Best Gameplay, Most Engaging Hack
    gkOPCE7.png
    aOWFJ11.png
    uqypfeP.png
    lKnSjvK.png
    Hoe10MK.png
    ZTLyeTu.png
    9sQ8Ckl.png

Hack of the Year: 2015
  • First Place
    eH1nq0R.png

/r/PokemonROMHacks' Hack of the Month: October 2015
  • Second Place, Best Mapping & Overall Favourite
    vjJreEd.png
    r1ev6rR.png
    OVxriu0.png

Hack of the Year: 2014
  • First Place
    Hack of the Month: June 2014

Frequently Asked Questions

• Does this have 721 Pokémon?
    Sort of. All Pokémon are in the game's code, but not all of them have fully working abilities, or sprites, or movesets, and as of the latest release they are not all capturable, either. That being said, nothing really rules out any Pokémon from appearing, and Pokémon from all six generations appear at some point.
  • Will you be re-adding the multiplayer / link battle capabilities?
    For now, no.
  • Can I reuse my save from previous versions of Gaia for v2.5?
    No. That being said, saves from v2.5 should be compatible with any future releases, but, of course, no promises, either.
  • How does this Pokémon evolve?
    It either evolves as it evolves in the official games, or its new evolution method is listed in the README.txt. If neither is true, please inform me! It's likely a bug.
  • How do I patch this?
    Use the included NUPS or tsukuyomi programs included in the download to apply the Pokémon Gaia v2.5.ups patch file to a clean FireRed ROM. I recommend the 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels) ROM dump for the smoothest results.
  • I've found a bug! What do I do now?
    First, make sure it's not already listed in the README.txt file. If it isn't there, then please tell me by posting here. In general, information such as the map you were in, the Pokémon in your team, the move / ability you were using (if applicable) and the version of the hack (and the date it was updated) listed in your README.txt should be included in your post.
  • When will v3 come out?
    I wish I knew! Unfortunately real life commitments mean that sometimes I won't have all the time in the world to work on Gaia, so I really can't put a deadline on release dates.
  • Is there a list of which wild Pokémon / items can be found where?
    I'm afraid not, but I do plan to make one in the future.
  • Are the HMs for Dive / Strength / Waterfall available?
    No, v2.5 ends without any of these HMs being available. v3 of Gaia will essentially continue from where v2.5 ends by making Dive accessible, though, to allow for your journey to continue.
  • Where is the Move Relearner?
    The Move Relearner is not currently in v2.5. I plan to add it in Beta 3, however.
  • Which Mega Stones can I get?
    The following Mega Stones can be obtained in v2.5: Venusaurite, Charizite Y, Blastoisite, Pinsirite, Scizorite, Heracronite, Aggronite, Banettite, Absolite, Abomasite, Beedrillite, Pidgeotite, Slowbronite, Sharpedonite, Cameruptite, Altarianite and Lopunnite.

Downloads

• Gaia Beta v3.1
    Release date: 16th October, 2018
    Mirror Download: http://sphericalice.com/romhacking/hacks/gaia/pokemon_gaia_v3.1.zip
    Notes: v3.1 is a bugfix update for v3.0 (changelog). Saves from v3.0 ARE compatible with v3.1. However, as with v3.0, saves from versions v2.5 or before of Gaia are NOT compatible with v3.1. This beta ends after the credits roll in the Pokémon League, with all eight Gym battles, the full main story, and the Elite Four and Champion battles. Please read the included README.txt file for important information, or visit the Discord server in my signature. On top of the purely new content added to this release, a lot of content has also been added in between Gyms, as well as lots of bugfixes from Beta v2.5, balancing, and in general the hack has a greater degree of polish. Saves from previous versions are NOT compatible with this version. There is no postgame in this release; there is a v4 planned which will tie up the loose ends of the story, as well as feature two new islands-worth of content, and more items, Pokémon and legendary encounters.
    Previous versions: v3.0: [dropbox] [mirror]
    v3.0 Release date: 14th October, 2018
  • Gaia Beta v2.5
    Release date: 2nd November, 2015
    Notes: This beta ends in Precimos Island, with a total of six Gym battles. Please read the included README.txt file for important information. Saves from previous versions are NOT compatible with this version.
    Despite nominally still being Beta v2, this release introduces a whole host of new features, from Mega Evolution to The Bug-Catching Contest. A lot of content has also been added in between Gyms, as well as an additional sixth Gym. Lots of bugs from Beta v1 and v2 have been fixed, and in general the hack has a greater degree of polish.
  • Gaia Beta v2.0
    Release date: 11th May, 2015
    Notes: This beta ends in Telmurk City, with a total of five Gym battles. Please read the included README.txt file for important information. Saves from previous versions are NOT compatible with this version.
  • Gaia Beta v1.1
    Release date: 18th October, 2014
    Notes: This beta ends in Windmist City, after the second Gym battle. Please read the included text files for information on how to try and use older saves to play, as well as for important things to note, incomplete things, as well as information regarding the new Pokémon, moves, and much more.
  • Gaia Beta v1.0
    Release date: 27th September, 2014
    Notes: This beta ends at the three Strength boulders in Frostbite Cave. Please read the included README.txt file for information on important things to note, incomplete things, as well as information regarding the new Pokémon, moves, and much more.

Last edited:

DestinyBond

Human (?)
I remember highly of T-Tar's LP of this ROM-hack and of this game itself.
However, shouldn't this be in Other games and ROM-hacks?
Don't get me wrong, this game definitely earned its place here, but, y'know, rules are rules?

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Gaia's been my favourite hack since I gave it a go a year or two ago. It's incredibly wide in terms of content, and has many features that take a lot of ASM knowledge to forge (the new stairs/slopes, Battle Marsh, Mega Evolution...) and some graphic work that makes you go "Ah!" because it's so refreshing to see in a hack!

I remember highly of T-Tar's LP of this ROM-hack and of this game itself.
However, shouldn't this be in Other games and ROM-hacks?
Don't get me wrong, this game definitely earned its place here, but, y'know, rules are rules?
Normally, yeah! But Gaia's soooooo good it's got a spot in the Project Showcase which "overrides" all other possible categories. But let's not discuss that here! Let this be a reminder that if you feel something isn't where it belongs, you should use the Report button instead. (On top of that, you can't really post a thread in the Project Showcase - a staff member would have had to move the thread in the first place)

Djaco75

MasterMind
The game looks absolutely amazing in every respect. It doesn't even look like Fire Red! I love all of the mechanics that you've included. They add so much to the game, both in appearance and quality. The details on the maps are intricate and look absolutely amazing!

I can't wait to see this finished! Good luck!

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
I finished this game last night, and I have to say, you did a really great job with it! The mapping is great, the new graphics look great while still looking like something from FRLG, the story seems intriguing so far, and I love the Pokémon selection! The difficulty was mostly well managed; some of the Gym Leaders were really hard to beat, and at one or two points I feel there was a bit of a level jump.
One detail I really liked was how Vernon won his Beedrillite in the Bug Catching Contest. You really thought out the Mega Evolutions- for example, a ton of Swablu being next to Sabulo, with an NPC encouraging you to catch a lot (I caught like 20 lol).
I also like the rival character. He's competitive while still being mature, like Cheren, and also gives you convenient healing points. Can't wait for the final release!

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
This game man :weary_face:
It made me love fangames again, it gives me life!!!

You did such an amazing job, had such a fantastic story, showed how you can have progression in such a small area (with the ability of back tracking to earlier areas by going essentially in a big circle) and the level curve was perfect.
The level of polish and passion you clearly put into this game shines through, and I love it more and more I look at it! It's one of the few games I have beaten, and desperately want to replay!! It's so much fun, and it looks so great!

I can't sing it's praises enough!! you did such a wonderful job, and I can't wait for you to complete it!

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Hi, I'm getting my feet wet with romhack fangames with this one! I'm pretty excited to play it, it looks very interesting so far.

One thing though, it mentions something about not having a motherboard something or other when I load it up? And also mentions "save error" when I save but seems to log the save anyway so I dunno if that's because I didn't use the rom you based your hack on or something unrelated.

Spherical Ice

Novice
Gaia's been my favourite hack since I gave it a go a year or two ago. It's incredibly wide in terms of content, and has many features that take a lot of ASM knowledge to forge (the new stairs/slopes, Battle Marsh, Mega Evolution...) and some graphic work that makes you go "Ah!" because it's so refreshing to see in a hack!
Thanks Kied!

The game looks absolutely amazing in every respect. It doesn't even look like Fire Red! I love all of the mechanics that you've included. They add so much to the game, both in appearance and quality. The details on the maps are intricate and look absolutely amazing!

I can't wait to see this finished! Good luck!
Thank you!

I finished this game last night, and I have to say, you did a really great job with it! The mapping is great, the new graphics look great while still looking like something from FRLG, the story seems intriguing so far, and I love the Pokémon selection! The difficulty was mostly well managed; some of the Gym Leaders were really hard to beat, and at one or two points I feel there was a bit of a level jump.
One detail I really liked was how Vernon won his Beedrillite in the Bug Catching Contest. You really thought out the Mega Evolutions- for example, a ton of Swablu being next to Sabulo, with an NPC encouraging you to catch a lot (I caught like 20 lol).
I also like the rival character. He's competitive while still being mature, like Cheren, and also gives you convenient healing points. Can't wait for the final release!
Thanks!

This game man :weary_face:
It made me love fangames again, it gives me life!!!

You did such an amazing job, had such a fantastic story, showed how you can have progression in such a small area (with the ability of back tracking to earlier areas by going essentially in a big circle) and the level curve was perfect.
The level of polish and passion you clearly put into this game shines through, and I love it more and more I look at it! It's one of the few games I have beaten, and desperately want to replay!! It's so much fun, and it looks so great!

I can't sing it's praises enough!! you did such a wonderful job, and I can't wait for you to complete it!
:blush: you're too kind!

Hi, I'm getting my feet wet with romhack fangames with this one! I'm pretty excited to play it, it looks very interesting so far.

One thing though, it mentions something about not having a motherboard something or other when I load it up? And also mentions "save error" when I save but seems to log the save anyway so I dunno if that's because I didn't use the rom you based your hack on or something unrelated.
That's an issue with your emulator: you need to set the Save Type to Flash 128KB. This will mean your current save is broken, however, so you'll need to start over I'm afraid.

Edashore Town's Meteor Festival is under way! Check out some of what the stalls have to offer:

BLGvi2K.png
wYkOe6I.png
RQyj16M.png

VuJxjrz.png
P3oXhLy.png
dijNyWE.png

cc8umqq.png
vvJyPiU.png
KO1cX90.png

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Yep that did it. I mean technically I could write save states with my emulator buuuut starting over sounds fun too.

Yrgulian

Rookie
This game has been one of my favorites for a long time now, keep up the good work Spherical Ice! :)

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Okay so now I'm back with a proper review: I really enjoyed this game and it was really interesting exploring all of the little nooks and crannies of the world you built up. I genuinely forgot it was even a romhack at all it was so engaging and layered as a story.

I can't wait for the continuation so I can finally show those New Elders what for once and for all.

kelsey

Novice
The sideways stairs alone are super cool. This looks amazing. I especially like that like olivey-toned grass area. It fits with the style of that gen but also adds a new vibe. Totally going to play as soon as I get a free second in my life.

Spherical Ice

Novice
This game has been one of my favorites for a long time now, keep up the good work Spherical Ice! :)
Thanks!

Okay so now I'm back with a proper review: I really enjoyed this game and it was really interesting exploring all of the little nooks and crannies of the world you built up. I genuinely forgot it was even a romhack at all it was so engaging and layered as a story.

I can't wait for the continuation so I can finally show those New Elders what for once and for all.
You're very kind, thank you!

The sideways stairs alone are super cool. This looks amazing. I especially like that like olivey-toned grass area. It fits with the style of that gen but also adds a new vibe. Totally going to play as soon as I get a free second in my life.
Thanks!

In an earlier update I showed Edashore Town. One of its attractions is the Edashore Observatory:

lFX4f2J.png
cD2UzXv.png
RYwDYVK.png

uuqJjez.png
haxy3Pt.png
SicKJjr.png

To the east of Edashore Town is the Gyarados Bridge.

f0ebmoU.png
HNPXra8.png
e314AhW.png

After the Gyarados Bridge is Atsail City, which I won't be showing today. However, north of Atsail is Loamas Fields.

hTewuGK.png
aXHjfPX.png
AWSNsft.png

Bentoxx

Rookie
Hey ! I love your job ! I make a pokemon fangame too with 3 Gen. tiles and you are a great inspiration for me !
You prove that the 3G graphics are still up to date and beautiful to see when they are in use.

Marina

Cooltrainer
Here are some more, assorted screenshots of the recent progress I've made.

IO7oSvG.png

That's me as a NPC Trainer, lol
Those graphics, overworlds and tileset are too good that it even doesn't look like FireRed anymore
If Essentials Vanilla would of had that amount of FRLG Outside Tileset, it would feel much better to use the vanilla ones.
We always have to download tiles on DeviantArt or Spriter Resource and use them.

Did you made the tiles by your own, you have my respect!
because it is very, very good to see that much effort into a game, the story those characters and the different cities also the Events
I love everything on that. I think everyone played your game once if they didn't they lost everything in life.

This screenshots inspires every game developer here and every rookie too!
I kinda have that inspiration of wanting to learn how to make Tiles to do them for Essentials Vanilla! :D
(Tilesets are easy done) the tiles like mountains, houses
I just can sprite Trainers, and 3rd gen npc but I have to work to progress myself​
I love the style of 3rd gen. But I see there must've been custom tiles being used there..... I can think of how expanding those tilesets are
It's really inspiring to see this........ even if this is a rom hack..... It's Insipiring, the maps are well done without to much of space, everthing neat!

also there is a city in portugal(europe) which name is "Gaia"!!
that's true. look into google maps ;)

Spherical Ice

Novice
Everything is looking wonderful. The maps have great balance and spacing, it has a very neo-gen 3 feel, it is all polished so well. Keep it up man, things are looking nice and spicy, looking forward to the next update!
Thank you!
Hey ! I love your job ! I make a pokemon fangame too with 3 Gen. tiles and you are a great inspiration for me !
You prove that the 3G graphics are still up to date and beautiful to see when they are in use.
Thanks!

That's me as a NPC Trainer, lol
Those graphics, overworlds and tileset are too good that it even doesn't look like FireRed anymore
If Essentials Vanilla would of had that amount of FRLG Outside Tileset, it would feel much better to use the vanilla ones.
We always have to download tiles on DeviantArt or Spriter Resource and use them.

Did you made the tiles by your own, you have my respect!
because it is very, very good to see that much effort into a game, the story those characters and the different cities also the Events
I love everything on that. I think everyone played your game once if they didn't they lost everything in life.

This screenshots inspires every game developer here and every rookie too!
I kinda have that inspiration of wanting to learn how to make Tiles to do them for Essentials Vanilla! :D
(Tilesets are easy done) the tiles like mountains, houses
I just can sprite Trainers, and 3rd gen npc but I have to work to progress myself​
I love the style of 3rd gen. But I see there must've been custom tiles being used there..... I can think of how expanding those tilesets are
It's really inspiring to see this........ even if this is a rom hack..... It's Insipiring, the maps are well done without to much of space, everthing neat!

also there is a city in portugal(europe) which name is "Gaia"!!
that's true. look into google maps ;)
Thank you! I have actually made a lot of the tiles I've made for Gaia public, so feel free to use them in your project.

This update is dedicated to the incredible revolocities, who redesigned Gaia's main characters and rival. Meet (from right to left) Gaia, Terra and Coulter!

7IHSAS4.png

utgxteh.png
2M0K9hR.png
sarRZTv.png

bAr8IuV.png
TJU2okH.png
CvN6lcl.png

A huge, huge thanks to revolocities. Please follow him on Twitter (https://twitter.com/revolocities) and send him some love!

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
hey i played through everything! It's pretty great and the smoothest fan-game experience i've had yet (romhacks+games). good job!

i recommend it to everyone lurking these threads

Back