This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
BOaLjZ7.png

ndp00Xd.png

Welcome to the Pokémon Litharreon thread!
x2dH6AN.png

Game information
RadicalRaptr
Author
Recruiting!
Team
More Info
Progressing!
Status
Release
Hello! You can call me Radicalraptr, and this is my game-in-development!
The history I have with this game idea is incredible to me. I started this humble project over 10 years ago! Over Ten whole years!!!

The earliest stages of this game existed as minor edits of a Fire Red rom using ancient software I don't think even exists anymore.

Initially as a romhack the idea of the game was playing through a more difficult version of the game where instead of going through a region you battle floors of an endless battle tower. I began tinkering and expanding the idea to eventually encapsulating a whole region, but kept the idea of having multiple leaders in a single gym.

The project in essentials started as Pokémon X and I began working on wacky ideas and edgy design concepts, with the plot twist of the story being you, the player in the game, are actually dead! For some reason I thought this was such a fantastic idea. The story was heavy servings of nostalgia bait I loved mixed with deep influences from my favorite games, including fan games I loved at the time!

As I grew into my own style and actually developed a decent knack for pixel art from humble beginnings of slices and chopped up sprites, I also honed my skills as a mapper and eventually full on game dev in RMXP. Over the years I've improved on my eventing skills and only gotten more refined in my map designs. I've worked on several smaller projects, participated and won spotlights in 2 major game jam events, and bitten off much more than I can chew in other fan games ideas before I finally wrote off this game as half baked an unsalvageable.

However as time went on, I stepped away from fan games, life took its toll and I grew up in my own right I still had this nag in the back of my mind that there was still something here. As my grand return to game development after taking a hiatus for several years I decided to write a love letter to my old self and breath a fresh air and flex my muscles on this simple idea. I've refined the store, polished the focus and finally have a clear beginning and end of the game as a whole. I am finally proud to announce the return, release and playable demo of Pokémon Litharreon!

Plot summary

Litharreon - pronounced Lithe/Arr/Eon
It is the fusion of Growlithe, Spearrow, Eeevee(well the eon for eeveelutions) and one of your possible starter Pokémon!

Embark on a journey throughout the region of Arboden - pronounced Arr/Boh/Den that has fallen victim to the meddling mischief of the mythical Pokémon Hoopa!

Pick your partner, either Shroomish, Houndour, or Staryu and team up with either Growlithe, Eeevee, or Spearow for ultimate double battles throughout the game! Challenge 8 totally normal and not suspicious gym leaders and take down an evil crime syndicate!

On your journey you'll begin to question certain things and uncover mysteries regarding yourself and the Pokémon you are safeguarding! Where did this Pokémon come from? Why are there evil crime bosses fighting you for it? Exactly who can you trust and why do you feel like you don't really belong here? You'll be overcoming all of these challenges while battling against your friendly Rival! Your rival wants to unlock their partner's powers and understand the mysteries there are to explore in the fantastic region of Arboden! Catch and train Pokémon in a double battle oriented, aide various NPC's throughout the region, and discover the mystery that awaits in Litharreon, and what that is also!

Characters

xNnJJcp.png

Biscuit and Coffee

The protagonists of Litharreon, and also your rival throughout the game! Play as a silent protagonist with your friendly rival as you both travel across the region to become stronger and learn all there is to know about your partner Pokémon and train to become the strongest trainer in Arboden!

fRWa2GV.png

Professor Maple

She is the renowned Professor of Arboden who focuses her research on the affects of technology on Pokémon. She has sucessfully cultivated an artificial Hidden Grotto able to sustain and harbor several species of Pokémon; which she uses to breed several Pokémon and adapt to their unique environments required to allow each to prosper and become the strongest possible! She has since been adapting this research into a new device, but she has been pretty secretive as to what it will be used for!

hlgQOR8.png

Professor Cedar

He is an old friend of yours who has been focusing his research on Pokémon and their mysterious power, hoping to unlock the unique dormant power that lies inside each one waiting to be tapped into. After making a break through in his research he is greeted by hooligans hoping to make off with his research before you swoop in and save the day!

9bCEmwQ.png

Looker

A man who needs to introduction - the International Police officer; Codename Looker, it is what they call him. After word of troubling news spreading across the region, Cedar enlists the help of the international police. Looker is investigating the crime syndicate that has been wreaking havoc across Arboden. However something about his demeanor and speech indicates an air of mystique, as if he were hiding something deeper!

Features

● Generation 3 Tileset
● No day/night system - think vanilla FRLG
● DS-era music (adjusted as best I can to roughly the same volume)
● Double battles for all trainer battles
● Know whether your starter will be shiny before you choose it
● Custom triple triad duelists in major cities
● 8 custom Gym Leaders and a new Elite 4
● Major crime syndicate being the main plot of the game
● Hidden grottos - find eggs of Pokémon on nearby routes with egg moves, higher shiny rate, and higher odds for hidden abilities
● Custom Sprites (Trainers, Overworlds, Pokémon, Icons)
● HM Moves and TM Moves can be used unlimitedly, and can be deleted at any point in the game, and are registered as "TM's"
● Brand new starters: Shroomish, Houndour, Staryu - Growlithe, Eeevee, Spearow
● Unique mega evolutions
● Boss battles with Legendary Pokémon with interesting rewards
● Plans for fun and interesting Post-game content!

The Starters

qRvyzvQ.png

Shroomish, the Grass type - Houndour, the Fire type - Staryu, the Water type

Screenshots

4apky3l.png

Download

Mega link
V1.0 Download!
Mediafire link
V1.0 Download!

Credits/Thank Yous
(in NO particular order)

Special Thanks: GalacticRemix for her amazing concept art, Cilerba for his input friendship and inspiration to work on this project to begin with, and everyone who supports this game!

System: Enterbrain

Graphics: Nintendo, The Spriters Resource, KingOfThe-X-Roads, Red7246, Sphex, leParagon, Blaquaza, Alxndre~◇, MultiDiegoDani, Vent, Sir Bumpluff, Pikachumazzinga, Alaguesia, harveydentmd, Dreadwing93

Scripts: Cilerba, FL, Teo, Golisopod User, Luka S.J.

Pokémon Essentials:
Flameguru | Poccil (Peter O.) | Maruno
AvatarMonkeyKirby | Marin | Boushy | MiDas Mike | Brother1440 | Near Fantastica | FL. | PinkMan | Genzai Kawakami | Popper | Golisopod User | Rataime | help-14 | Savordez | IceGod64 | SoundSpawn | Jacob O. Wobbrock | the__end | KitsuneKouta | Venom12 | Lisa Anthony | Wachunga | Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out!
"mkxp-z" by: Roza Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

And ~JV~ for this awesome page layout.

Don't forget to leave a comment :D

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
Whoaa!! I love the thread and the game looks so clean!
Thank you! Presentation was key for me, I didn't even want to mention anything about this project until I had something substantial to reveal. It's really fulfilling to be able to see how far I've some in development in terms of skill and presentation simply by redoing my old thread with better organized and more interesting screenshots, a more professional banner and a cleaner overall thread!

It's only a demo, a taste of what I'm cooking up, but I think it's definitely worth giving a shot. There is roughly 4-5 hours of gameplay :P

I have a lot more planned down the line, I'll probably get too excited and share multiple demos down the line, I don't think I could wait until the gyms and elite 4 are all done - probably the next major story event!

Nutcase71733

Cooltrainer
I think I recall the rom hack you mean due to the starter choices, saw it on pokecommunity a long time ago. How complete is the game at the moment?

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
I think I recall the rom hack you mean due to the starter choices, saw it on pokecommunity a long time ago. How complete is the game at the moment?
It was! The current game is a small demo, there are no gyms but there are 2 major battles that give a taste of what I'm planning. The full game has 4-5 hours of gameplay but it ends on a major story beat, consider it a prologue in terms of content and breadth.

Nutcase71733

Cooltrainer
It was! The current game is a small demo, there are no gyms but there are 2 major battles that give a taste of what I'm planning. The full game has 4-5 hours of gameplay but it ends on a major story beat, consider it a prologue in terms of content and breadth.
I THOUGHT it was this, good to see it back after so long. I have a couple of reccomendations if possible.

1: A lot of games I've been seeing as of late havent been adding the PBS files which hurts as we cant see what unique changes you might have employed to certain movepools, abilities, or base stats (if any) so be sure to add those in. It makes things require less guesswork.

2: Please allow a means to improve IVs and change natures, either by using the canon mechanics seen in the mainline games (bottle caps/mints) or use an item which is otherwise totally useless as a form of currency despite it being relatively uncommon. Making ability capsules/patches available before post game can help a lot too. Granted this stuff is mainly for things like a battle tower run but I like having stuff like that during a main game thing because it really makes a difference in some events.

3: On the subject of a battle tower, please PLEASE add a Battle Frontier. I've seen in various PBS files for different essentials fangames that pokemon stadium 1 and 2 data is for some reason featured, that might be good as a baseline if you can pull it off.

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
I THOUGHT it was this, good to see it back after so long. I have a couple of reccomendations if possible.

1: A lot of games I've been seeing as of late havent been adding the PBS files which hurts as we cant see what unique changes you might have employed to certain movepools, abilities, or base stats (if any) so be sure to add those in. It makes things require less guesswork.

2: Please allow a means to improve IVs and change natures, either by using the canon mechanics seen in the mainline games (bottle caps/mints) or use an item which is otherwise totally useless as a form of currency despite it being relatively uncommon. Making ability capsules/patches available before post game can help a lot too. Granted this stuff is mainly for things like a battle tower run but I like having stuff like that during a main game thing because it really makes a difference in some events.

3: On the subject of a battle tower, please PLEASE add a Battle Frontier. I've seen in various PBS files for different essentials fangames that pokemon stadium 1 and 2 data is for some reason featured, that might be good as a baseline if you can pull it off.
That's really cool! Thank you!

1. My goal is to have a system in place for the player to not need any external tools, using the Pokédex and other things in order to have all the information they could possibly need. For ease of conveinence however, I will also be working on a Wiki once I get far enough along the project to need one. As it is only a demo, a showcase of ideas, it wasn't necessary. I will make note that since I have unconventional starters, I have altered the learnsets and base stat totals of all 6 starters.

2. Given the nature of the game focusing on double battles, there is an inclination, at least for me, to try and steer more competitive, or strategic team compositions. So I would definitely like to create an easy way for the player to change stats and abilities and natures and everything! If you have any suggestions in specific, as I would still like it to be balanced and in universe instead of just a computer terminal that "lets you alter pokemon at will" if that makes sense.

3. Heh heh heh... Don't worry about that! ;) Let's just say there won't be a battle tower, unfortunately.... There will be a Battle Barge...

Nutcase71733

Cooltrainer
That's really cool! Thank you!

1. My goal is to have a system in place for the player to not need any external tools, using the Pokédex and other things in order to have all the information they could possibly need. For ease of conveinence however, I will also be working on a Wiki once I get far enough along the project to need one. As it is only a demo, a showcase of ideas, it wasn't necessary. I will make note that since I have unconventional starters, I have altered the learnsets and base stat totals of all 6 starters.

2. Given the nature of the game focusing on double battles, there is an inclination, at least for me, to try and steer more competitive, or strategic team compositions. So I would definitely like to create an easy way for the player to change stats and abilities and natures and everything! If you have any suggestions in specific, as I would still like it to be balanced and in universe instead of just a computer terminal that "lets you alter pokemon at will" if that makes sense.

3. Heh heh heh... Don't worry about that! ;) Let's just say there won't be a battle tower, unfortunately.... There will be a Battle Barge...
1: That works, only three games I know of do that currently.

2: Double battles have always been way too difficult for me to get into but given circumstances it seems good I brought this up.

3: Fair enough

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
1: That works, only three games I know of do that currently.

2: Double battles have always been way too difficult for me to get into but given circumstances it seems good I brought this up.

3: Fair enough
When I was developing this project almost a decade ago, I was way too obsessed with Orre, so double battlers were always so cool to me. It's so cool that I was able to pull it off in such a cool way, I've been able to come up with challenging strategies to overcome and really unique climactic battles! Hidden grottos are definitely one way I've been trying to help give the player more options with egg moves and hidden abilities, but I would love to add in additional features to make things as accessible as possible! I also wouldn't worry too much about the difficulty as I make it a point to play test thoroughly start to finish and make sure things are at least somewhat balanced but not too easy!

Inner Rhymes

Novice
I definitely think adding a nature mint store as well as increasing IVs via bottle caps would be pretty dope!

Avenging

Novice
Perhaps increase the font-size a bit of the post. I find 8pt to be particularly tiny

Back