• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Go Go Beasts!

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
GoGoBeasts_AltMenu.gif

Go Go Beasts!

Go Go Beasts is a First-Person Monster Capture Platformer!
Inspired by Pokémon, Banjo-Kazooie, and Neon White!

Protag_M_0.png
Protag_F_2.png

GoGoGameplay_1.gif

Capture various unique Go Go Beasts to gain new movement abilities!
Beast_0.png
Beast_2.png
Beast_4.png

Evolve your Go Go Beasts to gain even more advanced abilities!
Beast_1.png
Beast_3.png
Beast_5.png

GoGoGameplay_2_Alt.gif

Meet a colorful cast of characters on the various isles of the Azure Archipelago!
NPC_Kaz.png
NPC_Painter.png
NPC_MisterMine.png
NPC_MoneyMan.png
NPC_Nina.png
NPC_Professor_Shmoove.png

Explore the 3 primary islands: Verdant Isle, Fortune Isle, and Industry Isle!
1677063318011.png
1677064086766.png

1677064139551.png
1677064214218.png

1677064685767.png
1677465140584.png

1677065319117.png
1677464185010.png

Game Length:
Roughly 1-2 hours

Team:
Thundaga - Lead Developer
Tristantine The Great - Writing Support and Playtesting

Made With:
Unity

Notes:
This was a ton of fun to work on and I learned a ton!
I eventually would like to turn Go Go Beasts into a full game on Steam, so please send me any and all feedback/bugs/ideas you have!
If you beat the game, I love ya!

Also, if you draw any fanart of the characters or beasts and send it to me, I will put it in the game!

All of my project files at the time of jam submission are here!
Feel free to dig through all my maps and code to learn stuff about Unity!

1. Cheerful Forest - Verdant Isle
2. Golden Desert - Fortune Isle
3. Bustling City - Industry Isle

Music Used:
Everybody's Golf 6
Persona 5 Strikers

Shoutouts to the Thundafam and Thundagang! Love y'all!

Last edited:

Sulucnal

Novice
Hi. First of all, I loved this game, but I'd like to give you some feedback.

The screenshots and videos you can see in this post include some evolved/end game beasts, so don't check it if you don't want to be spoiled!

I think that having your character be able to climb anywhere like a Skyrim horse is pretty fun, but it can also be used to skip some parts of a level.

When you play too much with the "slot1", "slot2" and "equip" buttons in the "Equip Beasts" menu, Your Beasts Icons can start to move out of their frames in the Go Go Bracelet slot UI.
monsters_sliding.png

You can find two NPC floating in the air in Shmoovington.
One of them can be found if you go directly in front of you after exiting the lab, in an area where you can find a Relic IIRC.
NPC straight door lab.png

The other one can be found if you go to the right after exiting the lab.
NPC right lab.png

If you change your game resolution in game and go back to the main menu, it will be automatically resetted to your monitor resolution.

You forgot the word "know" in the Professor's dialog you get when you unlock Dev Island.
typo.png

It's just a personal preference here, but even though I liked completing every level at 100% in one shot, I feel like it could be fun to add some areas/beasts/relics that you can't reach without the ability of a monster from a level accessible later in the game. For exemple, having an area in Fortune Isle that can't be reached without the ability of a Xidgeon/Chubgeon from Industry Isle. It could add some replayablilty to your levels (but if you ever do it, you should probably also add a NPC or a sign to tell you that you don't have the beast required to go there yet so that the players don't get frustrated after spending hours trying to go to places they just aren't able to reach yet).

All of that aside, I really liked this game and I'd love to be able to buy and play a full version if you ever release it on Steam. Good job, Cam and Tristantine.

Hi. First of all, I loved this game, but I'd like to give you some feedback.

The screenshots and videos you can see in this post include some evolved/end game beasts, so don't check it if you don't want to be spoiled!

I think that having your character be able to climb anywhere like a Skyrim horse is pretty fun, but it can also be used to skip some parts of a level.

When you play too much with the "slot1", "slot2" and "equip" buttons in the "Equip Beasts" menu, Your Beasts Icons can start to move out of their frames in the Go Go Bracelet slot UI.
View attachment 15964

You can find two NPC floating in the air in Shmoovington.
One of them can be found if you go directly in front of you after exiting the lab, in an area where you can find a Relic IIRC.
View attachment 15966
The other one can be found if you go to the right after exiting the lab.
View attachment 15967

If you change your game resolution in game and go back to the main menu, it will be automatically resetted to your monitor resolution.

You forgot the word "know" in the Professor's dialog you get when you unlock Dev Island.
View attachment 15965

It's just a personal preference here, but even though I liked completing every level at 100% in one shot, I feel like it could be fun to add some areas/beasts/relics that you can't reach without the ability of a monster from a level accessible later in the game. For exemple, having an area in Fortune Isle that can't be reached without the ability of a Xidgeon/Chubgeon from Industry Isle. It could add some replayablilty to your levels (but if you ever do it, you should probably also add a NPC or a sign to tell you that you don't have the beast required to go there yet so that the players don't get frustrated after spending hours trying to go to places they just aren't able to reach yet).

All of that aside, I really liked this game and I'd love to be able to buy and play a full version if you ever release it on Steam. Good job, Cam and Tristantine.

Thank you so much your detailed bug reports and feedback! I really appreciate! All of the issues you called out should now be fixed in Go Go Beasts v1.0.1! I agree with your game preference thoughts too, and would love to incorporate those more in the future! I've got a lot of plans for future abilities where that can come into play!

Last edited:
Go Go Beasts Version 1.0.1 has been uploaded! It contains many bug fixes and QOL updates!
  • Fixed an issue where Woggy could grapple infinite distance
  • Fixed an issue with equipped beast HUD icons moving outside of their HUD window
  • Revised Verdant Tree collision/mesh to prevent cheesing
  • Fixed an issue where screen resolution would always reset to native resolution when opening the main menu
  • Resolved floating NPCs in Shmoovington
  • Added a couple plaques in the player's home to help track stats
  • Added a small zone in Verdant Isle with additional Letty spawns
  • Added fanart from KennyC!
  • Updated UI floating elements logic and movement speed/frequency
  • Deleting save data no longer resets screen resolution
  • Various additional code optimizations
Here, look at this cute Go Go Beast as a reward for reaching the bottom of the patch notes!
PKd8XAp.png

just finished 100%ing the game on stream (if you don't count the secret npcs (I only found one of them :( )
some thoughts:
What an amazing game! It was a blast to play. The gameplay was really fun and cool, you did a great job thinking of different abilities. I found that different situations were better for different beasts, and it felt really fulfilling to figure out the best load out for an area.

The game, design wise, is also really charming, it's the same with Pokemon Doodle obviously, but the game hits such a nice "vibe", despite not being super high quality graphics, it has an aesthetic which is very memorable.

I also like how accessible you've made 100%ing the game to be, the coin go go beast made it very easy to find all the green gems and all the coins so it never felt like a slog.

I really hope you're able to push on with this game and get it on steam with a full release, this game is a really fun unique experience so I think it deserves it.

Sulucnal

Novice
While you were releasing version 1.0.1, I continued playing and found some other bugs and thought about other things I wanted to tell you.

The video you can see in this post include some evolved/end game/glimmering beasts, so don't check it if you don't want to be spoiled!

You need to be EXTREMELY close to the plaques in the player's house and to spam the E key to be able to interact with them.
You can still look around if you pause the game while using the Grapple. Also, resetting a speedrun while grappling will not cancel it, which means that you'll still be grappled towards your target, no matter how far it is from you. You can also get stuck in some places. If you look at my Triflap in my Bracelet, you can also see that it's trying to jump continuously. (It also happened at the second thing you can grapple on in the pyramid of Fortune Isle).

(This video was recorded in the version 1.0.0, so don't worry about the Beasts icons in the HUD)

I don't know if it's intentionnal, but Glilmmering Beasts still give you XP, even if you caught more than 25 of them (When I say "them", I mean regular ones, I don't know if they still give XP if catch more than 25 Glimmering versions of the same Beast)
You should automatically turn off the speedrun mode if a player leaves the speedrun area.
You could add a tooltip when hovering over a monster in the "Equip Beasts" menu to be able to see their passive ability without having to select them.
You could add stat modifiers to beasts without abilities to motivate people to complete their Go Go Dex (for exemple, Shallump could give 2% knockback resistance when bumping into monsters, Dimbus could increase your jump height by 2%, ...)

Last edited:
Thank you so much again for the bug reports Sulucnal! They're extremely appreciated! I've gone and addressed most of the issues you called and a lot more in Go Go Beasts v1.0.2!
  • Improved interact prompts not being 100% functional for player home plaques, as well as instances where 2 NPCs were standing near each other
  • Reset speedrun timer when stepping on teleporter
  • Reset speedrun button now closes the pause HUD
  • Reset speedrun button cancels Groakus/Woggy grapple
  • Make Groakus/Woggy grapple cancel if player bumps into GroundLayer objects like buildings/walls
  • Fix for for Groakus/Woggy grapple raycast going through walls
  • Fix for camera rotation during pause while in the middle of a Groakus/Woggy grapple
  • Resolved an issue where the Beast Caught panel would not appear when jumping on enemy heads with Glomp/Shroomp and triggering evolutions
  • Making caught glimmers display the Beast Caught panel with the message "Glimmer Caught!"
  • Locked relics are more colorful in the HUD and Map menu
  • Glimmer captures only grant XP for the first Glimmer found
  • Various typo fixes
  • AND MANY MORE BUG FIXES
l7vAGI3.png

Look at this cool green frog as a reward for reading the patch notes! This dang little frog has caused me many headaches when preparing this update, but it's so worth it!

Sulucnal

Novice
Thanks. I just found more bugs, one of them seems to be due to the changes involving Glimmers in v1.0.2.

Glimmers: I could be wrong, but it looks like a Beast can't be Glimmering anymore if I already caught a Glimmering version of that Beast. I don't know if it means that Glimmers don't spawn or that they still spawn but my Glimmer Tracker doesn't notify me, but I can only find Glimmers if I haven't caught said Glimmering Beast before (English isn't my first language so I don't know if what I just said really made any sense).

Camera rotation during loading: When you go to a world using the world map, moving your cursor while on the loading screen will still rotate your character and not make you face the intended way when you arrive on the map.

Audio issues: Various problems with audio mixing/balancing:
  • The sound of the Flux's Lab door when you exit the lab, as well as the sound that plays when you select a world on the world map, are way louder than the rest of the sound effetcs.
  • It might just be me, but I feel like a lot of the SFX (When pausing the game, selecting a world on the map and probably some other sounds) sound louder in your right hear than your left when you play with a headphone
Some of the textures, such as the wood logs or the wooden crates (in the corners), aren't seamless. (the last image isn't really a texture problem, but more a problem with the way you placed the wall at the right of the "Controls" sign in the player's house)
imgur link

There is also another problem with the logs, where there is bark on one of the ends of the cylinder and most likely shouldn't be.
wood bark.png
There is still a problem if you try to grapple the bottom of a blue thingy in some places. You can get out of it by jumping, but I felt like it'd be worth mentionning anyway.

Solid invisible block in front of doors: You can stand on the invisible blocks placed in Kay and the Player's door.

And if you don't mind, could you tell me where you store the player's save files ? I'd like to try some things out with a new save but I want to make a backup of my current one first.

Last edited:
Thanks. I just found more bugs, one of them seems to be due to the changes involving Glimmers in v1.0.2.

Glimmers: I could be wrong, but it looks like a Beast can't be Glimmering anymore if I already caught a Glimmering version of that Beast. I don't know if it means that Glimmers don't spawn or that they still spawn but my Glimmer Tracker doesn't notify me, but I can only find Glimmers if I haven't caught said Glimmering Beast before (English isn't my first language so I don't know if what I just said really made any sense).

Camera rotation during loading: When you go to a world using the world map, moving your cursor while on the loading screen will still rotate your character and not make you face the intended way when you arrive on the map.

Audio issues: Various problems with audio mixing/balancing:
  • The sound of the Flux's Lab door when you exit the lab, as well as the sound that plays when you select a world on the world map, are way louder than the rest of the sound effetcs.
  • It might just be me, but I feel like a lot of the SFX (When pausing the game, selecting a world on the map and probably some other sounds) sound louder in your right hear than your left when you play with a headphone
Some of the textures, such as the wood logs or the wooden crates (in the corners), aren't seamless. (the last image isn't really a texture problem, but more a problem with the way you placed the wall at the right of the "Controls" sign in the player's house)
imgur link

There is also another problem with the logs, where there is bark on one of the ends of the cylinder and most likely shouldn't be.
View attachment 15996
There is still a problem if you try to grapple the bottom of a blue thingy in some places. You can get out of it by jumping, but I felt like it'd be worth mentionning anyway.

Solid invisible block in front of doors: You can stand on the invisible blocks placed in Kay and the Player's door.

And if you don't mind, could you tell me where you store the player's save files ? I'd like to try some things out with a new save but I want to make a backup of my current one first.

Thank you so much again for the detailed bug reports, I really, really appreciate them! I've fixed most of the issues above in v1.0.3! I'm still having difficulty with the camera rotation on map start though haha!

Also, the way save data is stored in GGB is a little weird (it uses Unity Player Prefs), but I've made a guide here for you to back it up!

1. In Windows, press Start and type 'Regedit' to open the 'Registry Editor'
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Thundagames\GoGoBeasts
3. Right Click on the 'GoGoBeasts' folder along the left side of the Registry Editor window and select Export to create ".reg" file in a folder of your choosing. This exports all of your save data as a file, serving as a snapshot at the time you exported. You can then double click the reg file to load your save data snapshot at any time!
From here, you are free to launch Go Go Beasts and then select "Delete All Save Data" in the Options menu! To restore your save data, just close the game and run the ".reg" file!
1677463278342.png
1677463400882.png

Sulucnal

Novice
Thanks. Here are some new bugs that I found.

The teleporter to a speedrun zone emits its sound effect multiple times when you use it for the first time after entering a level.

The bug with the Glimmers seems to still be here.

The player's shadow still "collides" with the invisible blocks placed in Kay and the Player's door (you can notice it if you go in front of one of these doors and jump while looking down).

The transition between the dirt, sand and grass on Kaz's Cliff seems kinda off compared to the way everything else is designed.

There is a visual glitch with them monsters on your Go Go Bracelet HUD when you open and close the pause menu too fast.

You should maybe redesign the training course or nerf Embird to force the player to try out every Primary Beast.

GlimmersRadarWeirdFloat.png
You can climb any wall if there is a grappling point close enough. To do it, you just need to use your Grapple ability while moving towards the wall you want to climb.

Last edited:

Sulucnal

Novice
Also, I don't know if you're looking for ideas for new primary abilities, but here is one:
A teleportation ability that can let you go anywhere you want in a small radius (as long as there is no obstacles in the way).
When you hold the Beast Ability button, it makes a little marker appear where you're looking. When you release it, your player get teleported to the position of the marker. You can use this ability to go through gapes that are too narrow for your character, or even through certain materials like glass.

(Sorry for the bad video quality, I just can't find a way to set up OBS properly)

Also, I don't know if you're looking for ideas for new primary abilities, but here is one:
A teleportation ability that can let you go anywhere you want in a small radius (as long as there is no obstacles in the way).
When you hold the Beast Ability button, it makes a little marker appear where you're looking. When you release it, your player get teleported to the position of the marker. You can use this ability to go through gapes that are too narrow for your character, or even through certain materials like glass.

(Sorry for the bad video quality, I just can't find a way to set up OBS properly)

That is awesome! I like that idea a lot for a future beast! I was thinking of doing an ability that involved placing two portals, and then walking into them to teleport, so perhaps one of those portals could be launched forward! Now I just want to make the game Portal lol!

Sulucnal

Novice
I'm coming back with four new bugs and two features ideas:

Bug: Deleting your save data also resets your parameters (Which I quickly noticed when the music suddenly went back up and OBLITERATED my ears(I'm not complaining, it was actually pretty funny))

Bug: My Glimers tracker ringed even though I started a new game and didn't even unlock it. The UI was obviously not there, but I herard the sound effect you hear when entering a level.

Bug: If you use a primary ability and interact with something at the same time, the primary ability action will use itself automatically every time the bar is full and you'll only stop using it once you left click again.

Bug: The speedrun challenge pannel at the player's house seems to add the times of your different runs together.

Features ideas:

A UI to choose wich primary beast you want to use. It could be useful if you ever plan to add more of them to select your beast without having to spam Q.

A Primary Beast with the ability to slow down time.

Lastly, I wanted to ask: when is the speedrun timer stopped? When you reach Dev Isle, or when you talk to yourself?

Last edited:
I'm coming back with four new bugs and two features ideas:

Bug: Deleting your save data also resets your parameters (Which I quickly noticed when the music suddenly went back up and OBLITERATED my ears(I'm not complaining, it was actually pretty funny))

Bug: My Glimers tracker ringed even though I started a new game and didn't even unlock it. The UI was obviously not there, but I herard the sound effect you hear when entering a level.

Bug: If you use a primary ability and interact with something at the same time, the primary ability action will use itself automatically every time the bar is full and you'll only stop using it once you left click again.

Bug: The speedrun challenge pannel at the player's house seems to add the times of your different runs together.

Features ideas:

A UI to choose wich primary beast you want to use. It could be useful if you ever plan to add more of them to select your beast without having to spam Q.

A Primary Beast with the ability to slow down time.

Lastly, I wanted to ask: when is the speedrun timer stopped? When you reach Dev Isle, or when you talk to yourself?

This is awesome stuff, I love it! The new beast drawings and ideas are so cool, I would love to implement something like those sometime! In the future I definitely want to add more Primary Ability beasts, so I've been racking my brain about the best way to do that! Perhaps Tap Q to quick switch to the next beast and Hold Q to open a menu, or I was also thinking of making it so only 2 primary beasts can be equipped in the future but they each have their own unique cooldown values!

I'll be working on another update sometime tonight to try to fix those bugs you called out (and a couple more along the way like that pesky Glimmer bug)! For the speedrun panel challenge bug, could you send me an example screenshot? It should be your total playtime from start to finish, rather than doing any addition based on the times you got in Kaz's speedrun courses! It's definitely going to be a tad jank from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 since I only started counting player playtime in 1.0.4, so any prior playtime wont be tracked properly. Moving forward though the playtime tracker should work just fine!

The speedrun timer itself is stopped when you talk to Cam on Dev Isle, since he calls out "TIME!" when you first talk to him, haha!

Back