• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Edge Rising (2022 Revengeance Update)

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
tLOgYKe.png

Game Title: Pokémon Edge Rising

Game Screenshots:
CZwSIRj.png

Description:
Experience the dark, horrifying world of the Inferno Region, home to death, darkness, and lots of black and red.
Follow the journey of Fang, a teenage boy who desires revenge, as he uncovers a dark truth in the world and the people around him. Also monologues. A lot of 'em.

Features:
- A deep, well-written plot
  • A diverse region
  • Extremely complex and thought provoking characters
  • 45+ Fakemon
  • Deep moral choices
  • NPCs that say kinda useful stuff sometimes
  • Characters portraits
  • No TMs or HMs
  • Use Alt to speed up your game.

New To the Revengeance Update:
  • 20+ new Fakemon
  • Various rebalancing
  • Ported game to Pokémon Essentials v20
  • An expanded Pokédex including Gen 8 Pokémon and more
  • A new, expanded postgame with even more NPCs that say kinda useful stuff sometimes
  • A new battle facility known as the Belltower!
  • And most importantly, a new status condition!

Game Download (Updated 8/16/23):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/syzea6ei9nmdlns/Pokémon+Edge+Rising+-+Revengeance+1.6.7z/file

If you like this game, I'd recommend playing another game from our writer (the one who wrote the funny jokes, aka not me).
https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/501/

Made Using:
Pokémon Essentials v20

Team:
Makattack202
SmokedPaprika
Mashirosakura
Techskylander1518
Reintendo0

2022 Update FAQ:
What's new?
- Well, the big thing is that there's a postgame now. There's uh...not a lot I could do with it, admittedly, since the game's world is kind of destroyed by the end of the main game. I did my best to create new content without having to make a ton of new areas.
- There's a properly organised Pokédex now. Speaking of, there's like, 8 new Pokémon lines. They're all really cool, Mak did great on their designs. There's also a couple of new evolutions of existing mons.
- The dex is now a grand total of 124 Pokémon. You can see more info about them by copying the link to the spreadsheet in the "_Credits" file of the main folder.
- A lot of sprites have been redone, such as Pistoff, Pillost, Eggception, Spectreon and many more have either received touch ups or full resprites.
- The same applies to backsprites, a lot of work went into them to make them all consistent.

Can I use my old save?
- Due to all the changes made, not only by the engine but by my optimisations, old save files would probably break somewhere, so it isn't recommended.
- It's also a 5 year old game, so playing through and refreshing your memory could be cool...

Is the game harder?
- I've tried my best to rebalance the game to make the experience as smooth as possible, and will continue trying to do so unless the general opinion tells me otherwise.
- I've rebalanced a lot of Edgemon stats and movesets, so the experience may not be exactly what it was 5 years ago.
- Early game has and probably been the hardest to balance. There's not really enough time to give players specific counters early on, but you can probably brute force it a lot with Mankey and Gorelett? If you didn't start with Riolu anyway.
- I haven't tested specific team comps so it's all a little subjective, but I look forward to hearing feedback!

Is there any new features?

- Well, there's no haunted mansion DLC, but there is a battle tower-esque building in its place I've dubbed the Belltower. Test your wits against tough opponents for a chance to win fabulous prizes! (Postgame only)
- A couple of new moves exist, like a Fury Swipes clone that's flying type, or a signature move that fires a button. I hope you'll try out all sorts of team members in the Belltower to see what's new!
- Speaking of trying out team members, there's a gauntlet at the end of the game, for those daring enough to try. Once postgame is complete, take a trip to the Blood Lake...

Where is (x)?
- Move Relearner is in Blackheart City Game Corner (regardless of time period).
- Silvally discs are also sold in the Game Corner.
- Stone vendors are in Eerie City in postgame.
- Once postgame is complete, you can get Rare Candies infinitely at the Belltower.

Resource Pack:
https://mega.nz/#!FHhD0Q6I!XWSLXYj8stAVmT8PjmNEP_wwZ7EF_K_Ywp5bsYd2ncA

Credits:
Engine Credits:

Pokémon Essentials:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.

mkxp-z:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

RPG Maker XP:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Team Members"
Makattack202
- Spriter
- Writer (OG content)
- Mapper
- Tileset
- Eventer (OG content)
SmokedPaprika
- Writer (OG content)
- Eventer (OG content)
- Pokémon Cries
Mashirosakura
- Spriter
- Playtester
- Eventer (2022)
- Writer (2022)
- Pokémon Cries (2022)

Playtesters:
TechSkylander1518 (OG)
Reintendo0 (2022)

Sprites:
- Unova Backsprites (Dreadwing93)
- Red Portrait (Da-Suspect)
- Sharfeeto (LlamaMinister/PixelProfligate)
- Gen 6 Back Sprites (MrDollSteak, Spherical-Ice,
Various contributors to the Gen VI: DS-Style 64x64 Pokemon Sprite Resource
VanillaSunshine)
- Gen 7 Back Sprites (leparagon, Z-nogyroP, zlolxd, elazulmax, mangamanga, VanillaSunshine)
- The Gen 4-Style Gen 5 and Beyond Backsprite Resource
(Dreadwing93, Prodigal96, MM980, 44tim44, Gnomowladny, MetalFlygon (republished by Zygoat), WolfPP,
lichenprincess, BiggusWeeabus, ChromusSama, briochee, Makattack202, Loafus022, Sopita_Yorita,
lennybitao, Limitdistortion, PorousMist326, leParagon,
DS-style Gen VII and Beyong Pokemon Sprite Repository, Smogon Art Projects)

Tilesets:
- Kyle-Dove
- Heavy-Metal-Lover
- WesleyFG
- Dewitty
- Zetavares852
- XDinky
- Newtiteuf
- Alucus
- Erma96
- Hydrargirium
- Poison-Master
- Thedeadheroalistair
- Shutwig
- Asdsimone
- Xxdevil
- Steinnaples
- Hek-el-grande
- sylver1984
- NikNak93
- TeaAddiction
- Cuddlesthefatcat
- Magiscarf
- Gigatom
- The-Red-eX
- ChaoticCherryCake
- Kymotonian
- DonLawride
- Rverah-duh
- Speedialga
- Platinum Tyrant
- Spacemotion
- Pokemon-Diamond
- Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
- DaNerdyDude
- KageNoSensai
- klnothincomin
- anutter
- EpicDay
- Thurpok
- UltimoSpriter
- ForeverXShoddyBattle
- Minorthreat0987
- TyranitarDark
- Chimcharsfirework/ThatsSoWitty
- Makattack202

Scripts/Plugins:
- v20.1 Hotfixes (Maruno)
- Name-Box (Mr. Gela)
- pbPartyIndex (Volsteon)
- Gen 8 Pack Scripts (Golisopod User, Luka S.J.)
- Hidden Abilities by Percentage (Mashirosakura, Scyl, Nettohikari, Marin, Maq47, StarWolff, Kotaro)
- Marin's Utilities/Map Exporter (Marin)
- Multiple Save (bo4p5687)
- Overworld Shadows EX (Golisopod User, Wolf PP, Marin)
- PokéDex Silhouettes (TechSkylander1518)
- Rename from Party (TechSkylander1518)
- Speed Up 2.0 (Marin, Phantombass)
- Voltseon's Pause Menu (Voltseon, Golisopod User, ENLS)
- Reload (aioros)
- Bleed/Frost statuses (Mashirosakura)

Music:
- Baby - Justin Bieber ft. Ludacris
- BATTLE! - Makoto Miyazaki (One Punch Man Soundtrack)
- Battle -Seraph- - Ryota Kozuka, Toshiki Konishi (SMTV Soundtrack)
- Bring Me to Life - Evanescence (Nightcore version by NightcoreReality)
- Brothers in Arms - Junkie XL (Mad Max Soundtrack)
- Call of Silence - Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan Soundtrack)
- COLORS - FLOW (Code Geass)
- death’s dynamic shroud.wmv - International Team
- Don’t Luka Now - Michael Giacchino (War for the Planet of the Apes Soundtrack)
- Egoist - school food punishment
- Guren no Yumiya - Linked Horizon (Attack on Titan Soundtrack)
- Hello Zep - Charlie Clouser (Saw Soundtrack)
- If I Lose Myself Tonight (Instrumental) - Danny Olson
- In The End - Linkin Park
- Jiyuu no Tsubasa - Linked Horizon (Attack on Titan Soundtrack)
- Kanashimi no Mukou e - Ito Kanako (School Days Soundtrack)
- Kill the Lights - The Birthday Massacre
- Monster Without a Name - EGOIST (Psycho Pass Soundtrack)
- MUST DIE - Daisuke Ishiwatari (Blazblue Soundtrack)
- My War - Shinsei kamattechan
- Replica - Oneohtrix Point Never
- Requiem Mass in D minor, KV 626 - Lacrimosa - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Sadness and Sorrow - Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Soundtrack)
- Scary Slow Music - Connor Darst
- Simple and Clean - Utada Hikaru
- SUSANO-O - Daisuke Ishiwatari (Blazblue Soundtrack)
- Makyuu Ichii-Bal (Instrumental) - Takagaki Ayahi
- The Reluctant Heroes - Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan Soundtrack)
- The Sound of Silence - Paul Simon
- This Love - Maroon 5
- Those Who Fight - Nobuo Uematsu (Advent Children Soundtrack)
- Torches - X Ambassadors
- Unravel - TK (Tokyo Ghoul Soundtrack)
- Vogel Im Kafig - Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan Soundtrack)
- What the World Needs Now is Love - Missi Hale (The Boss Baby Soundtrack)
- When the Moon Reaches Out to the Stars - Shoji Meguro (Persona 3 Soundtrack)
- What’s up, people?! - MAXIMUM THE HORMONE (Death Note Soundtrack)

Last edited:

Mak

Edge Lord
once again

I've updated the thread to include the latest version. I'll probably have a separate data folder file for those that don't want to completely redownload, but that'll take a few minutes.
I fixed the game-breaking bug and provided a fix for that other major glitch with the player sprite that I still have not found throughout playtesting. I'm just assuming what I did will correct it.

For those that still have the player sprite glitch, just walk onto the stairs in Eerie City to have the sprite return to normal.

Also I fixed that gosh-darned Attack on Titan earrape to be half volume thank goodness.
...not that it makes that much of a difference.

EDIT: Data Folder is up. Patch away.

Last edited:

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
Hey, guys, please remember, this game was made in a month for fun. There are lots of imperfections and unpolished areas, and it's less that we didn't acknowledge them, and more than we just barely managed to make the deadline for this. But even then, the game was not really made for any sort of larger audience - like I said, it's just something we made for fun.

Sorry if we ruined any of your guy's lives with less than satisfying jokes. You can get a refund at smokedpppppppp@ppp.com

Auzriel

Rookie
So, spoiler alert. I've no idea how to do the tag thing, I litterally just now decided to make an account so I could post this bug that has litterally made my game unplayable. So, I lost to the magizard as I was unprepared for the fight unfortunately, he beat me. Upon returning to the overworld, something strange happened. The scene froze and I was able to move. I moved down and ended up replaying the cutscene and fighting magizard with my full healed team. Once I beat him the word boxes played out, and that was it. It will not respond or play any at all beyond that. In my progress I ended up using the v button. Which saved over the problem, I did not know the button did this. However, It is now permanently stuck this way. I've no idea what will fix it, nothing I've tried helped any... I'll probably have to delete my data and start over, again... -sigh- just wanted to make sure you guys knew.

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
So, spoiler alert. I've no idea how to do the tag thing, I litterally just now decided to make an account so I could post this bug that has litterally made my game unplayable. So, I lost to the magizard as I was unprepared for the fight unfortunately, he beat me. Upon returning to the overworld, something strange happened. The scene froze and I was able to move. I moved down and ended up replaying the cutscene and fighting magizard with my full healed team. Once I beat him the word boxes played out, and that was it. It will not respond or play any at all beyond that. In my progress I ended up using the v button. Which saved over the problem, I did not know the button did this. However, It is now permanently stuck this way. I've no idea what will fix it, nothing I've tried helped any... I'll probably have to delete my data and start over, again... -sigh- just wanted to make sure you guys knew.
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. If you'd like, I could make a save file for you that brings you back to the point in the game you were at. Let me know what your team was, and I'll try to make it happen. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warco

Rookie
Hey there, came from the Vinesauce channel and wanted to see what this was all about! Kinda curious, cuz this was the 6th pokemon I saw, thankfully I found that great ball in the boulder right before I fought it when it was a wurmple.

0B5e5ttYcxOOBRGExb2JBV01tNEE
open
open
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5e5ttYcxOOBSGNBZVlsVktkWkE

Edit: Sorry, never really use these kinda boards. Basically I found a shiny pink wurmple and it turned into a black buzzerk with red eyes, hands(?) and thorax(?) dunno bugs.

Anyway, I am curious how rare are shinies in your game, the same as normal games?

Edit again: I am in the first gym or whatever you call it, and I just noticed the slowed down Persona 3 music. Nice. (just beat the gym aboot 10 minutes ago, loved every second of it, nice job!)

So I suck...got an old man's ro....I got the old rod, and caught a pistoff. Then the police took it from me. Brilliant. I love you.

Was totally gonna shove it down some person's throat and mess up their insides. With the pistoff, I mean, of course.

Another addition to this saga. I am either really lucky, or you have the shiny chance waaaaaaay high, because I caught a shiny passta just now.
open
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5e5ttYcxOOBazVncHJscWRqdnc

It ... uhhhhh, didn't use any fire attacks, so I didn't notice it was fire type till I checked this page. Bad naming choice on my part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mak

Warco

Rookie
Awww, not as rare, lol. Still cool though, and it makes sense, you made shiny versions of your fake pokemon, and you would want people to see them, so having the shiny rate normal would make that work almost pointless.

Thanks for making this game, I am having a blast with it!

maxpowersxj9

Rookie
So is it possible to rebind the movement keys to WASD as well as the A and B buttons? This default control scheme is a little awkward to get used to.

Mak

Edge Lord
So is it possible to rebind the movement keys to WASD as well as the A and B buttons? This default control scheme is a little awkward to get used to.
You can remap controls with F1, but I don't think it works with the movement controls. I could be wrong though.

maxpowersxj9

Rookie
You can remap controls with F1, but I don't think it works with the movement controls. I could be wrong though.
I don't suppose there could be a patch or something that you could push through that would allow that at all? Cuz (don't quote me on this) Pokemon Uranium used the same client launcher thingy that Edge Rising uses and it allowed you to rebind movement keys along side a plethora of others as well.

Mak

Edge Lord
I don't suppose there could be a patch or something that you could push through that would allow that at all? Cuz (don't quote me on this) Pokemon Uranium used the same client launcher thingy that Edge Rising uses and it allowed you to rebind movement keys along side a plethora of others as well.
I'm not sure exactly what Uranium did. But they had scripters that actually knew how to set things like that up. None of our team is very experienced in scripting.
I did more research and the engine's controls are apparently hard-coded. While I could probably try to make a patch, I don't know if I could get it to work and it isn't really a priority on our part.
Sorry if it's an inconvenience.

volbia

Rookie
Just finished it after seeing it on vinesauce's stream, absolutely loved it. Both the jokes and the edge felt great, If you guys ever consider making a sequel or turning it into a full length hack I would really love it.
I'll miss Fang and Bro

Wuvvums

Rookie
I encountered a bug just now, and thought I could register and see what could be done.

After Mako's funeral scene I went to save my game in the pokemon center. However, my save file now says that I have 0 pokemon in party, and in my pokedex. I can withdraw pokemon from my box, but I pretty much lost all the pokemon I was training. And that set me back about four and a half hours. Is there a way this can be fixed to restore my team? Or do I have to start over again?

Mak

Edge Lord
I encountered a bug just now, and thought I could register and see what could be done.

After Mako's funeral scene I went to save my game in the pokemon center. However, my save file now says that I have 0 pokemon in party, and in my pokedex. I can withdraw pokemon from my box, but I pretty much lost all the pokemon I was training. And that set me back about four and a half hours. Is there a way this can be fixed to restore my team? Or do I have to start over again?
...Huh? How in the world did that bug happen? Its one thing if it erased the party somehow, but it definitely shouldn't have erased the Pokedex entries.

I'm not sure how that was caused or what happened, but I don't really know what can be done to help outside of save editing.

EDIT: Oh lordy. It turns out there was a tile left during development that sets the player character and their name. Problem is: Setting the player name erases the player's party. I guess you got unlucky and stepped on it. Terribly sorry, I'll provide a fix for the map ASAP though

Wuvvums

Rookie
Not sure, I don't even have the option to check a pokedex any more, even if I drag pokemon from my box and into my party. This is what my save looks like:

5e98183c25.png

I am not sure how I could save edit. I guess there's no way to roll back to a prior save? I was hoping I wouldn't have to start from scratch, since I'd like to see what happens next.

Mak

Edge Lord
Just PM me your save file as well as your old team and I can replicate them through debug.
Added the patch to the original post to get rid of the dangerous tile though.

Wuvvums

Rookie
I remember now, before this bug occured I did have a message that said "WARNING: There is a different game file that is already saved."

I am thinking that through some sort of confusion after the particular scene I was in, it was treated as me starting a new game somehow, and thus having no pokemon in my party.

I am not sure how this could be duplicated again for bug testing purposes, but I have passed along the save file to you. Thank you.

Back