• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Sardonyx: Raised to Win

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
sardonyx_logo_new_2_by_keileon-dblokvz.png

ZnTWdNL.png

Pokémon Sardonyx: Raised to Win is a fangame made in Pokemon Essentials v16.2, by a small team of friends based upon a play-by-post roleplay that lasted for a few years. The roleplay eventually ended in favor of continuing the story as a game and a Nuzlocke comic. We have recently picked up development again and are eager to tell the story we've been wanting to since 2011.

PS:RtW is a somewhat ambitious game, featuring in the future a branching storyline and deep worldbuilding. We may take artistic liberty with many established pieces of Pokémon lore, particularly centering around the Pokémon themselves. We take inspiration from both the games and anime, as well as Nuzlocke artists, a certain PMD fanfiction author, common theories, and random musings from the devs. While we strive to have memorable game mechanics and features, our game is intended to be primarily narrative-driven and rewards the player for exploration and interaction. Almost every object can be interacted with.

While the game may be relatively easy at the start, it is intended to have a difficulty curve similar to Pokémon Platinum Version. We recommend searching the grass for Pokémon (each area has a wide selection, even cities) and training when possible. We do not recommend playing the game on a Nuzlocke Challenge, at least on the first playthrough. More cautious or paranoid players may wish to save the game often, just in case something happens.

We currently have a workable development team and do not technically lack any roles. We should be able to complete the game with our current team. However, we will consider applicants for spriters, scripters, composers, and promotional/graphics artists. Please see the Contact section below.

We market ourselves as a parody protected under Fair Use laws. In no way do we receive profit from media related to this fangame.

Download Link!

Current Version: 2.8.5
https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/download/

----------

GbpzO8a.png

12-map-png

Map may not be final and is subject to change.

You begin in Granite Town in the Altaris Region, a small town by the region's standards but beginning to expand and urbanize. Though you already sort of have a Pokémon- a family "pet" belonging to a relative that is no longer available- you decide that you need to go get a Pokémon of your own and become a trainer. Your neighbor and best friend tags along with you as you head to Shardil Town, where the professor will give you a choice between three Pokémon: Eevee, Mienfoo, and Solosis.

Very soon you begin to become aware of a gang, similar to those in other regions and yet somehow different. Reportedly, they almost never steal the Pokémon of other trainers. There are no grunts. There is no consistent uniform or identifying aspect aside from the raven they use as an emblem. These phantom whispers of a gang calling themselves Team Mortis reach you nearly everywhere you go, as does news of their illegal activities: pitting Pokémon against each other in battles to the death.

But are they the only criminal activity in the region?

Adventure through the island region and forge your own story. One might instinctively aim for the Gym challenge and Pokémon League, but none of this is required if you wish to take a more unorthodox path. Talk to everyone you meet, investigate every nook and cranny, explore every hidden passage and you will be rewarded for your efforts with deep worldbuilding and expansions on the established Pokémon lore.

As long as there is life in us.
As long as we hold the will to survive.
Knowing no different, we fight for our masters...
... For we are born to fight...
... And raised to win.

AWNBYnW.png

A more comprehensive list of features can be seen here:
https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/features/

STORY
  • Dark, branching storyline​
  • Sarcastic NPCs and poking fun at official games​
  • Interactable items are everywhere- if something seems out of place, try interacting with it​
  • Tie-ins to the official games​
  • Sidequests​

GRAPHICS AND RESOURCES
  • Mix of generation 4 and 5 graphics​
  • Custom and Free-Use-With-Credit music​
  • Custom and Free-Use-With-Credit tiles and sprites​
  • Custom UI textures​

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
  • Following Pokémon​
  • Optional gyms​
  • HM replacements​
  • Type chart adjustments: Normal is now Super Effective on Fairy and Psychic, Ice resists Ground/Grass/Water, Poison is Super Effective on Water​
  • If you see this on any fangame website except Relic, PokeCommunity, or Ragnarok Raven it was stolen​
  • Turbo button that works at any time​
  • Multiple save files and Quicksave​
  • Pokémon permadeath in certain battles​
  • Mystery Gift​

POKÉMON
  • Full Pokédex access (generation 6 through 8 Pokemon only available in Safari Zone or through limited ingame events)​
  • Mega Evolutions, some custom​
  • Regional variants, similar to Alola forms-- currently over 90!​
  • Pokémon rebalances: many Pokémon now have altered base stats and movesets​

d72SiJA.png

Due to the sheer amount of questions we have accrued, we have taken to displaying our FAQ on our website.

https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/faq/

BrSr4Gh.png

61-screensmoke-png
67-screenevo-png
74-screenlab-png
92-screenmortis-png

85-screenvee-png
66-screencitri-png
63-screencave-png
62-screenblood-png
More screenshots can be found here: Click!

v1aQnkW.png

http://codex.ragnarokraven.net/rtw/index.php?title=Credits

bLJWbe6.png

Pokémon Sardonyx has a website!

You can follow the development of the game at our Twitter account, @Sardonyx_RtW!

You can email the primary developer of the game at: kudamon@zejroleplaying.org

You can also join our Discord server to communicate with the developers in real-time!​

Last edited:

SunGoddess23

Cooltrainer
I noticed something, doing the randomizer like of the game and saw that you have it where fairy type Pokemon are weak to normal attacks which is interesting. And I guess to make it a real challange you even have the Pokemon the person catches to start disobeying when it hits a certain level. One of mine is disobeying at level 11 and its the starter I got when I did the randomizer.

Last edited:

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
From the FAQ on our website:

Why is the Normal type now Super Effective on Fairy and Psychic?

This is for a few reasons.

First, one of the developers felt that Psychic and Fairy were beginning to become overly powerful, with little able to stand up against some of the more competitively-used examples. Additionally, this developer felt that Normal has been too weak for too long, and decided that it needed a buf; thus, both of these problems were solved at the same time.

Secondly, because of the starter Pokémon, a non-standard type matchup triangle was needed. While Fighting is Super Effective on Normal and weak against Psychic, Normal and Psychic have no interaction with one another. It was only a small adjustment needed to fix this problem.

Thirdly, in most tellings of various legends, disbelief can kill fairies and cause psychic-like techniques (such as hypnosis) have no effect.

The in-universe reason and explanation for this is that due to Altaris's harsh and unforgiving ecosystem, Normal-Type Pokémon were forced to rapidly adapt into a new ecological niche, as several types resist Normal and no type is weak to it naturally. Because of this, the Normal Type has undergone evolution in the biological and ecological sense.

My Pokémon stopped obeying me!

In order to prevent players from overleveling and either breezing through the game or sequence breaking a battle they were supposed to lose, Pokémon will begin disobeying once they reach a specific level before the cap is raised. Because most gym battles are completely optional, we do not gate obedience by badges; instead, we gate it by progress in the story. If a Pokémon begins disobeying you, stop training it for a while and try to progress through the game in other ways.

You can check the obedience cap of your Pokémon at any time by calling Professor Spruce.

SunGoddess23

Cooltrainer
Um I found a bug or something I ran into a Mimikyu and the battle was going well for a bit but now it's in an infinite loop of Copycat

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
Posting here despite it being answered in Discord, just in case:

The Copycat issue was apparently a known thing that we fixed at some point after the 1.3.1 release. Should be fine in 2.0.

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
We draw ever closer to our hopeful release date. And with Relic Castle finally back up, I'm proud to throw in this trailer showing off a new feature we've added to the PokéBit. Introducing.... EVO!

Inspired by the Rotom Dex, the Educational Virtual Operator (or EVO for short) is yet another brilliant creation of Spruce. Programmed into the PokéBit, it exists to guide the player on their journey through Altaris and provide helpful information. EVO's form changes depending on the time of day. During the day, EVO will take the form of an Espeon, named EVO Day. Friendly and helpful, EVO Day will be more than happy to assist you! At night, however, EVO becomes an Umbreon, EVO Night. Bored and sarcastic, EVO Night nonetheless will assist you the best it can... though it may not care much about doing so.

Regardless of form, it will do things such as remind you of certain mechanics within the game, provide you with your current highest level your Pokémon will obey you, and even tell you how many Pokémon can be caught in an area and how many of those Pokémon you have not caught yet. All you need to do to activate EVO is press D in the PokéBit menu.

At night, however, EVO becomes an Umbreon, EVO Night. Bored and sarcastic, EVO Night nonetheless will assist you the best it can... though it may not care much about doing so.

Can EVO Night actually do the functions that are built into EVO Day? From watching the video I couldn't tell if Night was refusing to tell the player anything, or if the information/dialogue just hadn't been input yet.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
It performs the same functions, but just says different things. It's not refusing to help, rather the video just hasn't had anything unlocked yet.

Reactions: Aki
It performs the same functions, but just says different things. It's not refusing to help, rather the video just hasn't had anything unlocked yet.

Cool, it reminds me of the Animal Crossing games where the post office has different staff depending on the time of day, and the night shift is a bit of a grump. Both characters are pretty cute regardless, I love little emote changes like they have.

Involuntary Twitch

Pixel Artist & Writer
This looks interesting! Lots of new ideas and creativity. That buy-a-Pokemon mechanic in particular looks like lots of fun, although perhaps I'm just excited because you chose my favorite Pokemon (Archen). The story seems intriguing and I'm excited for the upcoming demo! Keep up the good work :)

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
Well, it was close, but we still managed to make our release date! Sardonyx: Raised to Win version 2.0 is now available! As usual, check out the download page on our official site for links to download.

Just a few things to note:
-As mentioned numerous times, we've released a new core rather than a patch. You will be relying on this core until we eventually release version 3.0.
-While it was meant to be the case that you'd be able to continue your save in this update, several maps have been altered to the point that you may end up on an impassible tile when you restart. If this happens, then unfortunately, you'll need to restart. However, if you are fortunate to avoid this, we recommend that you talk to Nurse Joy in the nearest Pokemon Center before you press onward. Although to be honest, it may be better to just sacrifice your save and start a new one.

And with that said, let's talk about what 2.0 has to offer:
-The story continues from Rubina, with the player continuing eastward to Citrivale, and eventually Amaris and Ironis. While there is only one Gym available in this demo, there's still much to experience in this demo. Familiar faces. New faces. Get used to friends, because you're gonna need them in Altaris when you meet up with Team Mortis.
-EVO is really to use. If you haven't been caught up with it, basically imagine Rotom Dex, but a bit less intrusive. It comes in two forms, EVO Day and Night. Both will be helpful to you on your journey, so remember to press D while in your PokéBit menu if you ever need help.
-The Pokémon Supplier System is now available. If you find yourself needing a cool new Pokémon, seek a supplier out.
-Hard mode is now implemented. Certain characters change up their Pokémon, and normally avoidable deathmatches are now mandatory. Anyone who skipped Zoltan before now, you made the right choice.
-Deathmatches have been changed up a bit to finally include a rule. Enjoy not being able to use items. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
-While the main choice of the game is not available yet, enjoy the option to be a complete dick to your friends. Especially early on.
-The ever elusive Altaran Linoone is now available. So if you have a Zigzagoon on your team, you're in luck.

In addition to a HUGE number of other changes. Check out our changelog on our wiki here for more info.

And as one extra surprise, we have a new Mystery Gift live. Altaran Charmander has been teased a lot, so we might as well give you one. And one that's metallic at that. Enjoy Spectre while you can, because this gift will be live until the end of September. And unlike Groray, we currently have no plans to put this back up again. Get it while you can, because it'll definitely be a while before Altaran Charmander is available normally.

It's been a long road getting to this point, and it's only just the beginning. Thank you all for your patience, and we hope you enjoy. And as always, report any bugs found so we can fix them as quickly as possible.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
Speaking of bugs, there appears to be one where Pokemon can't attack at the start of the game. We're working on a fix as quickly as possible.

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
Good news, folks. The hotfix is up. Just download the .zip and insert files into your folder.

Maaaaaaaaan, that was terrible....

Maor80

Cooltrainer
started to play the game but when i was in pokemon batles and tried to attack pokemon aspirict screen apeared how i can cause to stop appearing and attack another pokemon

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
Patch the game.

---

Edit to make this more clear

Numerous people on the Discord server, here, and even on Twitter are asking a question we've had the answer to for over a day now.

"Why can't my Pokemon attack?" or some variation of such.

We didn't realize exactly how clear we needed to make this information. We know about the issue and have released a patch to fix it. When downloading the game, you need both the core AND the patch, not just the core.

We hope this clears up any confusion.

Last edited:

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
And now for an actual patch. That's right, 2.1 is here! .... Yeah, it's mostly just more bugfixes.... The main purpose of this however is to fix a bit of a glitch with Wine not liking midi files. And thus, this patch also contains a brand new audio folder.

Also, we've been getting waaaaaaay too many reports of the issue of not being able to attack, which we announced several times that we had fixed since the 2.0.1 hotfix. And among those people are people saying they patched... when it turned out they didn't follow the instructions on our downloads page for properly patching the game. So we decided to add instructions on how to patch the game to the zip for the patch. Because that's apparently what it's come to.

Hopefully nothing else goes horribly wrong this week...

NickNock

Rookie
hey I encountered some kind of bug I couldn't find in your known bugs, i'm on windows 10 pc and I loaded up your game fine, everything works well, however.. its frame rate laggy and whenever I battle a pokemon or trainer I get an error pop up whenever I choose a move on any pokemon of mine causing me to not be able to attack and ultimately do nothing and lose lol, whats wrong? :( I really want to play this game.

NickNock

Rookie
I went on the website and tried the direct download but the server has a problem to download the patch sadly but I use mega regularly so its all good just though you should know the direct download link isn't working

Back