• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Lost Hope v1.2 (Clay Corridor Fix)

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
de31keh-53a1bb88-28dc-44ca-be32-1ab0a474ae8e.png

made using Pokémon Essentials v17.2 and RPG Maker XP
Welcome to Lost Hope.
Another Game by me about Pokémon, but not in the Pokémon Universe.
This game does feature things that may make people uncomfortable such as:
Creepy Pixel Art, "creepy" enviroments, Ghosts(?), and Domestic Themes.

You take the role of Hope, an 8 year old from the town of Homestead, who's obsessed with Pokémon, and lives with step-family who don't like her.
Her Step Brother, Rodrick, has been a bit of a meanie and stolen her Pokédolls and scattered them throughout an Abandoned Complex to the north of Homestead, if you go retrieve them all, maybe he'll let you play the newest Pokémon game, Pokémon Gold Version, which he picked up yesterday.

Join Hope on an adventure, and Find your Pokédolls, Collect all the Candy, encounter Ghosts if they exist, and most of all.
Escape the Complex.

Bugs:
  • Playing with the Screen Size set to "L" may make some graphics display incorrectly.
  • Loading a Save sometimes prompts a Save Screen after Loading.

de31kas-9692e43c-dde3-4588-9866-74c514f4b1ab.png
de31k9t-fbd46f17-ef73-4c80-93e1-05a83317c527.png
de31kab-96fa1439-461d-4330-ada6-39660b8461af.png

de31kah-1f3c66c6-c531-484d-b38b-a29521198ace.png
de31ka4-52c2db76-3cdf-470c-831e-27d3cb1c10dd.png
de31k9l-997de8d0-8177-42ea-860d-e6f6ded98bcb.png

The Mirror requires a Chair, Painting, and Vase.
The Chair is in the Office with the Water Draining Switch
The Painting is in the Shop.
The Vase is in the Canteen in the basement.

Clay Fix Release:
Download Lonk

Release 1.1:
Download Link

• Playing with the Screen Size set to "L" may make some graphics display incorrectly.
  • Loading a Save sometimes prompts a Save Screen after Loading.

• Clay Corridor allows exit AFTER you've recieved the Ladder Hook.
  • I think I fixed all direction fixes.
  • Credit NPC gone.
  • Collisions fixed.
  • Train Station added in after story town (Basically a dev room with unused stuff, and random trivia)
  • Text of party screen changed to dark grey ish
  • Mirror room now has a sign stating to match the rooms. I forgot to add that.
  • If you do not get Candy 1, and 2. Jack sells them, but cheaper than the main candy he sells.
  • The Dark Corridor has been fixed. After going through it once you can go in and out as you please.

Link

Also, have made a discord for my progress with this and my other projects:
Discord Link

Leader:
_pheebs

Pixel artist:
genericallyterrible(wife)

-Nintendo
-The Pokémon Company
-GameFreak
-TobyFox
-OFF
-Imscared
-Final Fantasy
-SquareEnix
-Enterbrain

Pokémon Essentials Team:
Flameguru Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
MiDas
Mike
Boushy
Near Fantastica
Brother1440
PinkMan
FL.
Popper
Genzai
Kawakami
Rataime
Harshboy
SoundSpawn
help-14
the__end
IceGod64
Venom12
Jacob O.
Wobbrock
Wachunga
KitsuneKouta
xLeD
Lisa
Anthony

Last edited:
Just beat the game! I really enjoyed this short adventure! It was a fun experience, and had just the right amount of creepy ambiance to it. I appreciate that the game relied moreso on building a creepy atmosphere, more than trying to jumpscare the player or rely on unnecessary gore. The spritework for the Pokémon was also excellent! The art and music really went a long way to building up the tension as you explore the Complex. A good example of that is when-

-you go through the dark maze where the statue follows after you. You get the first little hint that something's up just as the screen fades, and you see the statue twitch. Then there's the little boulder push noise as you traverse through the dark maze, building up the worry that it's catching up to you.

A couple of bugs

• Several of the objects in the Complex didn't have direction fix on them (the vase in the mirror room, the gems, etc)
  • The credits test NPC is in the final hallway
  • The collision in the final town as a couple of different errors- the pink pathway isn't passable, the buildings, fences, and signposts are passable, etc.

A couple of nitpicks

• I think the battle UI would be easier to look at if you made it grey instead of pure black
  • The text on the party screen is also difficult to read because it's white on white
  • Maybe include a message of some sort about the furniture for the missing furniture room being elsewhere in the Complex? I felt like this puzzle was just a bit too cryptic, given all the furniture there is around the facility.
  • While I did get all the candies in the end, I wish that there was a way to go back and get some of them. (Ex: both candies in the maze, the candies outside of the facility.) That way the player could go back and get the good ending, rather than needing to soft reset or start entirely over. I'm not sure what the best way to go about that would be, but maybe Jack could offer to sell you the miss-able candies right at the end?

All-in-all, great job with this game! The graphics and themes were excellent!

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Just beat the game! I really enjoyed this short adventure! It was a fun experience, and had just the right amount of creepy ambiance to it. I appreciate that the game relied moreso on building a creepy atmosphere, more than trying to jumpscare the player or rely on unnecessary gore. The spritework for the Pokémon was also excellent! The art and music really went a long way to building up the tension as you explore the Complex. A good example of that is when-

-you go through the dark maze where the statue follows after you. You get the first little hint that something's up just as the screen fades, and you see the statue twitch. Then there's the little boulder push noise as you traverse through the dark maze, building up the worry that it's catching up to you.

A couple of bugs

• Several of the objects in the Complex didn't have direction fix on them (the vase in the mirror room, the gems, etc)
  • The credits test NPC is in the final hallway
  • The collision in the final town as a couple of different errors- the pink pathway isn't passable, the buildings, fences, and signposts are passable, etc.
A couple of nitpicks

• I think the battle UI would be easier to look at if you made it grey instead of pure black
  • The text on the party screen is also difficult to read because it's white on white
  • Maybe include a message of some sort about the furniture for the missing furniture room being elsewhere in the Complex? I felt like this puzzle was just a bit too cryptic, given all the furniture there is around the facility.
  • While I did get all the candies in the end, I wish that there was a way to go back and get some of them. (Ex: both candies in the maze, the candies outside of the facility.) That way the player could go back and get the good ending, rather than needing to soft reset or start entirely over. I'm not sure what the best way to go about that would be, but maybe Jack could offer to sell you the miss-able candies right at the end?

All-in-all, great job with this game! The graphics and themes were excellent!

1.1 Bug Fix:
  • I think I fixed all direction fixes.
  • Credit NPC gone.
  • Collisions fixed.
Changelog:
  • All of the above fixed.
  • Train Station added in after story town (Basically a dev room with unused stuff, and random trivia)
  • Text of party screen changed to dark grey ish
  • Mirror room now has a sign stating to match the rooms. I forgot to add that.
  • If you do not get Candy 1, and 2. Jack sells them, but cheaper than the main candy he sells.
  • The Dark Corridor has been fixed. After going through it once you can go in and out as you please.
Download here

Hey I just finished Lost Hope and really liked it! I have some thoughts below:
- The creepy atmosphere and art were done really well!
- I really loved the flashback cut scenes from each doll, I wanted to learn even more about Hope's past and her family though.
- The wild encounter rate is too high imo, I also ran away from every wild pokemon because I didn't think I'd need to level up my pokemon.
- The diamond room took forever because I was quite confused, especially since there were so many chairs throughout the complex that I couldn't use.
- The other puzzles were cool though! Also liked collecting the candy.
- Good music choice (thank you for adding tobyfox's music)
Overall, I had lots of fun in this little adventure! Great job!

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Hey I just finished Lost Hope and really liked it! I have some thoughts below:
- The creepy atmosphere and art were done really well!
- I really loved the flashback cut scenes from each doll, I wanted to learn even more about Hope's past and her family though.
- The wild encounter rate is too high imo, I also ran away from every wild pokemon because I didn't think I'd need to level up my pokemon.
- The diamond room took forever because I was quite confused, especially since there were so many chairs throughout the complex that I couldn't use.
- The other puzzles were cool though! Also liked collecting the candy.
- Good music choice (thank you for adding tobyfox's music)
Overall, I had lots of fun in this little adventure! Great job!

Thanks for your input.
I suppose the chair quest is a bit hard.
If more things need changing I'll be sure to change that up as well.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
the very look from the screenshots and the description of the game is making the oldschool Lavender Town theme play in my head, my spidey sense is tingling already.

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
the very look from the screenshots and the description of the game is making the oldschool Lavender Town theme play in my head, my spidey sense is tingling already.

Thanks, I like to make my Game Jams have a somewhat creepy feel.
If you like the looks of this one, I recommend my other game, Experimental Gameplay too~

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Live reaction on stream right now.

loss in the first 30 seconds of gameplay
0/10 game

no, I'll give a full detailed something in the near future, but until then, I need you to know my disappointment.

All my games have the forbidden meme within the first 30 seconds of gameplay. Muahaha.
Also, do you archive your streams? I'd love to watch it when i have free time~!

I would say this game's main selling points are the various puzzles and sequences in which you have to do certain events and puzzles, and the story and backstory that drives the game. From start to finish, the game follows a defined and established story with four flashbacks to the past to provide backstory and build up the characters more. This realism, along with the setting really captured my attention at the start of the game and managed to put a smile on my face.

The game is highly exploratory by nature, and that suits my play style well. I always like to check as many locations and places of interest as I can, and that served me well in this game, helping me find 19 out of 20 candies myself (and using your reference images for the last one; I'd missed one rock). This was quite rewarding, and provided incentive to explore.

I understand that not everyone has had this same experience, but you were required to interact with a computer in a specific room. I had missed this computer, as both the computer and the room looked like every other room, which made me have to go out of my way to ask how to continue. In my opinion, this level of interaction detail should only be used for optional content, such as the candies, and make the main, crucial gameplay slightly more obvious than that, as all the previous rooms/keys had done.

The Abandoned Complex seemed daunting and slightly tiring before I got started, but as I progressed, I grew to like it more. It wasn't as big as I had feared, and was just perfect in size; not too big, nor too small.

The puzzles were all unique from one another, and were perfect in difficult. They didn't hold your hand more than was necessary, but they also weren't so cryptic that you'd be completely in the dark. I felt they were thought out well and executed well.

The choice to leave Pokémon and battling play a subrole in the game was fine, and worked. However, with that viewpoint in mind, forcing wild encounters to still be as common (or existent at all) nonetheless, was rather annoying. Battling served no purpose, and so being interrupted by a battle every few steps was quite a hindrance. They should either play a big role, or a very small role; not a mild halfway role.

All in all, Lost Hope was an excellent game and ranks high on my list of favorite fangames.

Also, loss.

mucka33

Rookie
Just played through the game, and what a fun little adventure it was! Lots of underlying sad motifs, and by the end I really just wanted to give Hope a hug ;-;

Loved all the little tileset additions, and the enemies were a nice touch (and very OFF-reminiscent, which is fantastic!) Shadow Man really caught me off guard for how creepy it was. So overall, really really great!

My only complaint is that I think the dark hallway maze still softlocks you if you return? I went back later because I missed some items there, but couldn't find a way back out. Both the entrance door and the hole to the basement do nothing. Kinda stings because I missed a candy there, so I suppose I'll have to start a new save file and try again.

Anyways, minor gripes aside, I had a lot of fun playing through the game! Thanks for creating it.

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Just played through the game, and what a fun little adventure it was! Lots of underlying sad motifs, and by the end I really just wanted to give Hope a hug ;-;

Loved all the little tileset additions, and the enemies were a nice touch (and very OFF-reminiscent, which is fantastic!) Shadow Man really caught me off guard for how creepy it was. So overall, really really great!

My only complaint is that I think the dark hallway maze still softlocks you if you return? I went back later because I missed some items there, but couldn't find a way back out. Both the entrance door and the hole to the basement do nothing. Kinda stings because I missed a candy there, so I suppose I'll have to start a new save file and try again.

Anyways, minor gripes aside, I had a lot of fun playing through the game! Thanks for creating it.

I have now fixed the clay corridor.
I thought I already had, but it seems I went to, but never did.

mucka33

Rookie
Thanks for the fix! I just went through a new file and used the candy guide, so we're all good now.

Gotta say the fight with Jack was really neat! And also sad...though I'm glad to see he gets a happy ending along with Hope. That good ending made me tear up. Really worth the effort to get all the candies!

Once again, what a fun little game and I'm impressed that it all came together in about a month!

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Thanks for the fix! I just went through a new file and used the candy guide, so we're all good now.

Gotta say the fight with Jack was really neat! And also sad...though I'm glad to see he gets a happy ending along with Hope. That good ending made me tear up. Really worth the effort to get all the candies!

Once again, what a fun little game and I'm impressed that it all came together in about a month!
Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed and got emotional over the themes~!

Ickle

Trainer
hey I just figured out the you can evolve the meowth and I'm assuming you're not supposed to cuz it doesn't have a custom sprite
persian bug.png

Ickle

Trainer
also theres no collision in the station apart from the characters

no colision.png

also in the end it says "good end" but how do you get the bad end exactly?

Last edited:

quentix

Cooltrainer
meowth had the pickup ability and gave me a great ball lol just caught a ghost with it XDD

also i cant open the door where there is a diamond symbol since i found chairs in the water draining office. i was able to find the two other things the vase and painting but the chair dosent seems to have any interaction... am i doin something wrong??

nvm. managed to finish the game close to an hour! :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Back