• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon D.W.

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
Game Title:
Pokémon D.W. (Stands for Deserted Wasteland)

Game Screenshots:
CfODwfy.png

k2wA5Ih.png

EVSmbiT.png

CAsMnhd.png

Game Download:
Mediafire (1.1)
Mega (1.1)

Made Using:
Pokémon Essentials & Paint.NET

Team:
Voltseon (Me)

Notes:
This game is just about 100% open world, you can do whatever you like, but the ultimate goal is to escape the town, you can do so by beating the main guard in a Pokébattle.
Trade evolutions like seadra into kingdra are handled by using the trade item on them.
Levelscaling is enabled for this game, that way you can keep exploring the same maps without overlevelling.
The game is a bit dark (not super edgy or anything) so if you don't handle stuff like that very well then I don't recommend you play this game.

Resource Pack:
Linked here

Credits:
Made by: Voltseon | Game dev

Gen 5 Overworld Tileset:
UltimoSpriter

Interior Tileset:
Akizakura16 & Shiney

Elite Battle System:
GameFreak | Original sprites from B2W2 games
Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2W2 roms

Luka S.J. | Indexing & formatting the sprites
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion
Tebited15 | B/W styled trainer Red sprite
Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow) | Gen 5 ball sprites

Eli | Ripping & compiling the backgrounds
lilatraube | Some B2/W2 battle bases

Luka S.J. | Design, formatting & implementation

Luka S.J. | Elite Battle System
Maruno | General help & support
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG converter
Pokémon Essentials | Base system

GameFreak | Original sound effects from B2W2 games
BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects

Spriters Resource:
FoxyBluereaver
Flamejow

Modular Title Screens:
GameFreak | BGMs & the official Title Screen tracks
Luka S.J. | Designs, graphics & code

Advanced Map Transfers:
Luka S.J.

Modular Menu:
Luka S.J.

Fancy Badges:
Luka S.J.

Better Fast-forward:
Marin

Quicksave Script:
Marin

Overworld Shadows:
Marin

HM Items:
Marin

Name boxes:
mej71
Mr. Gela

Marin`s Footprints:
Marin

Pokemon Evolution Script:
Aiyinsi

8-directional movement:
ParaDog

Party Rename:
Diego Mertens & WolfPP

Gen 5 Overworld Sprites:
Spriter`s Resource | rips of overworld sprites
Radical Raptr | compilation & creating RMXP ready spritesheets

Marin`s Scripting Utilities:
Marin

Luka`s Scripting Utilities:
Luka S.J.

Voltseon`s Handy Tools:
Voltseon

FModEX + RGSS Linker:
FIRELIGHT TECHNOLOGIES PTY LTD. | FMOD Ex API
Enterbrain | RGSS
Nuri Yuri | RGSS Linker, RGSS FmodEx, Audio (FmodEx)
GiraPrimal | LOOP_TABLE

Music:
Nintendo, Tsukasa Tawada | Pokémon XD - Gale Of Darkness & Pokémon Colosseum

Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby MiDas Mike Boushy Near Fantastica Brother1440 PinkMan FL. Popper Genzai Kawakami Rataime Harshboy SoundSpawn help-14 the__end IceGod64 Venom12 Jacob O. Wobbrock Wachunga KitsuneKouta xLeD Lisa Anthony
and everyone else who helped out

Non jam eligible version / update
From version 1.2 and onward there have been a few new additions like new scientists in the D.W. Underground, a new NPC in the Waste Forest, decreased the difficulty curve, graphical updates and more.
The updates on this version are not eligible for the game jam, but feel free to play it since it's all for fun anyways!
Because of this I've included a debug bat file with which you can run the game in debug mode + I've included the Data and PBS files opposed to how the older versions are encrypted.
Download v1.2

Last edited:
I played this for about 20-30 minutes, and i might pick it up again and continue but just some of my thoughts for now:

The idea is very interesting. Having 1 big area for the player to explore and train in so that they can "escape". It is pretty cool and fun. However there are just a few things that I think could have been executed better.

The map is very big and easy to lose where you are, on top of this, I also found the main area to be very laggy. Maybe that is just my laptop though. In future I think splitting the main map into quarters or something would not only make it less laggy, but also make it easier for the player to keep track of where they are.

Just another small point of criticism, I was quite sad to see that a lot of the bookshelves and objects weren't intractable with. It would've been cool to learn more about the wasteland and the world around you through things like that.

I think what scares me about this game though, and makes me a bit hesitant to play more is that the final goal is level 60ish. That feels like it will take a long time to reach. I think something like level 30 would've been better.

Just about bugs, I found a few passability errors, as shown below:
Xfr15bs.png

81dH6r7.png
Also I think it was on purpose, but in the forest, the trainers don't approach you, you have to talk to them. But like I said I think that was intended.

Sorry if this post sounded too negative, the game does seem interesting and I really like the open world aspect. You also include a fair few cool small things like HM items, special evolution items, and WALKING DIAGONALLY?!?! That blew me away.
Keep up the good work!

I played this for about 20-30 minutes, and i might pick it up again and continue but just some of my thoughts for now:

The idea is very interesting. Having 1 big area for the player to explore and train in so that they can "escape". It is pretty cool and fun. However there are just a few things that I think could have been executed better.

The map is very big and easy to lose where you are, on top of this, I also found the main area to be very laggy. Maybe that is just my laptop though. In future I think splitting the main map into quarters or something would not only make it less laggy, but also make it easier for the player to keep track of where they are.

Just another small point of criticism, I was quite sad to see that a lot of the bookshelves and objects weren't intractable with. It would've been cool to learn more about the wasteland and the world around you through things like that.

I think what scares me about this game though, and makes me a bit hesitant to play more is that the final goal is level 60ish. That feels like it will take a long time to reach. I think something like level 30 would've been better.

Just about bugs, I found a few passability errors, as shown below:
Xfr15bs.png

81dH6r7.png
Also I think it was on purpose, but in the forest, the trainers don't approach you, you have to talk to them. But like I said I think that was intended.

Sorry if this post sounded too negative, the game does seem interesting and I really like the open world aspect. You also include a fair few cool small things like HM items, special evolution items, and WALKING DIAGONALLY?!?! That blew me away.
Keep up the good work!
I don't mind the critisism, it helps me create better games, and I'll make sure to put these aspects into a newer version/future projects! Thanks a lot for this, and I'll get to fixing these bugs in a future update! Also yes, you were right, I made the trainers optional because I don't want to force the player to do something, glad you caught that!
On the comment about the end goal being too high, I didn't want the player to think too lightly of the difficulty of the game and make the end battle pretty hard, but if it seems too hard it won't be fun, I'll think about lowering it in the future.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

I've updated the game to version 1.1
- Fixed some collision bugs
- Added some more flavor text
- Added a few more obtainable items on the ground
- Lowered the end goal level (from 60s -> 50s)

I've added a newer version of the game, it is not eligible for the game-jam, which is why it is at the bottom of the original post.
Main feature being a new way to beat the game.
And the Nugget Lady in Waste Forest.

Also I'll be addressing known bugs over here:
  • When winning a battle, sound effects tend to loop
  • After entering an area / changing BGM the start of the song sometimes loop
  • When using the speed up button it sometimes tries to load multiple songs on the same channel, crashing the game

Last edited:
Back