• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Daybreak [NEW UPDATE!]

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Discord: Discord Invite
Wiki: Wiki Link

- - - INTRODUCTION - - -
Pokémon Daybreak
is a fangame made in Pokémon Essentials, and has been in the works for over 4 years by an extremely small development team. For incentive, we have explored: the Pokémon anime and games, real world locations, mythical legends and more. Recently as of Feburary 2023, we have released a huge overhaul update which was in the works for over 2 years!

- - - TRAILER - - -

- - - STORY - - -
A meteor has struck, and you, the local professor's new assistant are assigned to the case. However, some mischievous individuals have beat you to it; and are inspecting the meteor for their own purposes. Who are they, and why is the meteor imperative?

Pokémon Daybreak introduces the enigmatic region 'Armira', and is centralised around storytelling and challenging gameplay. The game is aesthetically beautiful and there are many unique locations you will encounter on your journey, such as a meteor crash site, a castle and a cherry blossom forest. Themes of exploitation, greed, and history are examined and lore is dotted all throughout the game. Take on the challenge of becoming Pokémon Champion in the all-embracing region of Armira!

- - - FEATURES - - -
ss6.png
ss8.png

• A new and expansive region, 'Armira' and post game 'Armiran Isles'​
  • 10 Gyms, Elite Four + Champion
  • At least 20 hours of gameplay
  • A custom dex of 400 Pokémon from gens 1-9 (excluding 200 from post game)​
  • Difficulty Settings (Normal and Hard Mode)
  • Classic GBA-Theme, with Gen 3 Styled textures, music and many new, custom remixes​
  • An intriguing, climactic story with new, original characters​
  • New custom regional forms/variants including: Water Arcanine, Fairy/Dragon Garchomp and more​
  • New custom mega evolutions, including those of Milotic, Heliolisk, Mega Venusaur and Blastoise X​
  • 'Dualeons' are a mix of two eeveelution types to create a new mon​
  • Quests (Including optional side-quests)​
  • The ability to see ALL encounters in that area from your menu​
  • The Battle Island! (Our version of the Battle Frontier)​
  • Complete Post Game with its own regional dex and a final act to the story!​
  • An active discord where you can interact with other players, the developers, find a FAQ, get updates immediately and more​

• How to Download:
  • There are 2 download methods

• 1. Classic Method: Go to this Download Link and then click Code > Download Zip
  • this will download the newest version, but means to update the game you will have to patch​

• 2. Better method: Go to this Download Link and then click Code > Open with Github Destkop.​
  • This will allow you to receive the newest updates with 0 need to patch. All you have to do is click Pull on Github Destkop.​
  • The README.txt in the game files has a FAQ​
  • Current Version: v1.7 [Updated 2nd Feburary 2023]
Mystery Gifts!
Change Nickname from party screen
Custom move animations
Many new regional and mega evolutions
MANY Easter eggs
Some regional variants are available, such as Alolan Vulpix and Galarian Slowbro
Newer Gen pokemon available, such as Kingambit and Corviknight
Some HMs have been replaced with equipment
Speed-up button [Tab]
Some Pokémon have new moves/move sets, for example Heliolisk can now learn Fire Blast
New moves, such as 'Fairy Rush' (which is Armiran Garchomp Exclusive)
No Z-Moves, Gigantamax or Terastylization
Many side, optional areas where you can complete quests, find rare items and Pokémon, etc

ss5.png
ss7.png

ss4.png
ss2.png
image (15).png
image (17).png

image (18).png
image44.png

CREDITS: Credits List
In no way do we receive any profit for this fangame or anything related to such. We are protected under fair use laws and do not intend to breach those.
Discord:
Discord Invite

Attachments

• DAYBREAK.png
    DAYBREAK.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 195,871
  • image (16).png
    image (16).png
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,530
  • image_2023-02-02_223201796.png
    image_2023-02-02_223201796.png
    21 KB · Views: 4,766
  • ss3.png
    ss3.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 7,584
Last edited:

mizzypd

Mizzy
Just defeated the first gym.. and Im very disappointed. Ferroseed literally walled every encounter in the wild + my chosen Espeon. Normal mode stated "casual" but I had to use 17 potions and hope for a confusion. Also none of the npc's saying anything useful like "TM's are lost when used". I forgot cut and now cant relearn it. I hope it gets better
Where did normal mode state casual? Normal mode honestly isn't as hard as you make it out to be. Ferroseed is known for being bulky, and has a 4x weakness to fire. Fire types are pretty easy to find in the wild. Finally, none of the NPCs say anything like that as this is a recent change.

mizzypd

Mizzy
Just defeated the first gym.. and Im very disappointed. Ferroseed literally walled every encounter in the wild + my chosen Espeon. Normal mode stated "casual" but I had to use 17 potions and hope for a confusion. Also none of the npc's saying anything useful like "TM's are lost when used". I forgot cut and now cant relearn it. I hope it gets better
Also, patch your game. Theres a reason the patch is called mandatory

falcary

the myth girl
Just defeated the first gym.. and Im very disappointed. Ferroseed literally walled every encounter in the wild + my chosen Espeon. Normal mode stated "casual" but I had to use 17 potions and hope for a confusion. Also none of the npc's saying anything useful like "TM's are lost when used". I forgot cut and now cant relearn it. I hope it gets better.

Yoraiko

Rookie
Hey guys! As I already told you in your lovely, lovely Discord, I started a humble Lets Play of Daybreak. Currently I got 3 badges after 7 parts.

Full playlist: (6 parts online so far)
Daybreak

'Unfortunately' it's a german LP, so I dont think you wil have too much use for it, but one reason I play Daybreak this way is to improve my skill to LP in english in preparation for a complete-english-pokemon LP afterwards. I still think the gist of the situations is understandable if you skip through the videos, but you know. I will definitely share my main thoughts, positive and negative, every few weeks here and in the discord in english anyways.

Also note that my game is unpatched for the first seven parts which I recorded in december 2020, which will change starting with part 8.

Now to the important stuff, some brief and summarized feedback of my main thoughts so far:
  • My fangame-history consists mainly of Pokemon Reborn, which I hated as much as I loved it for its balancing, still it made a lasting impression on me.
  • I picked Daybreak in preparation to play Pokemon Rejuvenation (which is reborn-universe) because it looked a lot simpler (in terms of accessibility) and friendlier to me while still bringing a lot of new content to the table. This sounds like I'm using your game for the sake of another, but I really was excited when I started daybreak.
  • In my videos I compare Daybreak to Reborn all the time, which is just unfair but I cant help it since I didn't play many other Pokemon-Fangames for long, so please don't take that too serious.

Regarding the game in general:
I like it. Let me make absolutely clear that - despite I despise its balancing - I greatly appreciate Reborn as probably the best pokemongame in existence for Its Design, Dark atmosphere, story, characters, creativity, etc.

Daybreak is way more 'grounded' and closer to the actual games, so I rate and perceive it a lot different, but as I previously stated its that relaxed and modest atmosphere and Setting that I wanted to have for my first Pokemon-LP. I enjoy the journey so far and it reminds me a lot of travelling through HOENN. I like the Armira-Region and think it has a pretty interesting map design, thrilled to discover more. While I think some of the places so far looked nice, Armira's design isn't too special and lacks worthwile cities or moments, but I didn't see too much of it after all. As a fangame close to the official Regions, I appreciate as something that feels like it could be official.

Regarding story and characters:
There isn't much to say here, because there isn't really much of that so far. No interesting or special characters so far, I liked Rocko's cameo however, same with Brendan. It's a bit sad that the gym leaders don't seem to have a role in the story aside from being a leader, which is always a minus for me.

The villains team, whose name Im not sure about yet, is also pretty generic in terms of design and dialogues. Also, if their name is really team meteor(wasnt it Squad Zero?), it strikes me as a possibly-rude ripoff from Pokemon Reborns Team Meteor, but I dont know which Game came first and I dont mind anyways, really.

I hope there will be more storystuff happening in the future, so far its more a gameplay-experience, which is fine, I enjoy it.

Regarding the balancing:
- Coming from beating the infamous Reborn, I thought I was prepared for a challenge. While I appreciate the challenging gameplay in Daybreak, it didn't take me too long to arrive at the sweet, old Frustration-Harbor, showing some nice rage and pulling the 'Unfair!'-card quite a few times.

Yes, already at 3 badges I don't think too highly of Daybreaks balancing. This is my current team:
Team.png

While I absolutely rolled over the first gym, the point where I had my first ugly meltdown was that foakin Relicanth in front of Rocko. Putting a Relicanth there with leftovers and those attacks is basically saying 'GG' in my opinion and it took me hours to beat it. Rocko was challenging, but not unfair. This Relicanth, however, was. Then I made it to the third gym leader and he absolutely wrecked my whole team without a chance.

If you skip through my videos you don't need to understand german to get that I had some pretty ugly moments of raging and throwing accusations around there, the main points however are valid if you ask me. What I think is Daybreaks problem is that it suffers from the same balancing-issues as Pokemon Reborn does, although Daybreak is still nowhere as close as frustrating. Still, in situations like the gyms, you basically lock the player in a dead-end with no other things to accomplish and no way to progess if he doesn't win this one battle. I know a lot of balancing and the difficulty of the leaders comes down to choice of pokemon. I saw a lets player beat Relicanth at his first try, I know I know. But this leaves the player with only one thing to do in those situations, just as it is with Reborn:
Catching other Pokemon and grinding them up in the wild until you got the tools to overcome an opponent. Its infuriating and not fun in some cases, but please keep in mind I only had those issues with 2 encounters so far. (Relicanth, Taze). It's also pretty risky, from a gamesdesign-standpoint, that the player can actively lock himself in a corner with the wrong eeveelution, the pretty rare money that quickly runs out if you dont safe and reload before every gym battle and so on. Softlock-danger.

What I assumed in my videos is that Games like Reborn or Daybreak are created by absolute Competitive-Pokemon Players which dont make any compromisses when it comes to 'Creating a challenge'. They take their own standards, their experience from PvP-Onlinebattles and put it into their games, highening the contrast to the official games which are merely a joke in terms of difficulty since X/Y. Personally, I think this is the wrong way. There is some gray space between 'Game Freak thinks you're retarded' and 'THIS ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!!! SUFFER, YOU WORTHLESS SAD JOKE OF A HUMAN BEING, SUFFRRRR'
As I said, it's not terrible in Daybreak so far, but we're getting there. This Relicanth was just ridiculous and completely unneccessary. And dont get me started about the Gyrados on Level 22 with freakin' Firestorm. Those battles are optional but they're still missplaced. I wouldn't mind all of that so much if there were other things to do or other ways to overcome those battles. But as it is, there is only getting other Pokemon more fit for the job and grinding them up - But not too much, because at some point they suddenly stop gaining EXP. Reborn did that Level-Cap too, although I didn't figure out yet how it works in Daybreak and don't appreciate it anyways.

My team isn't too well-balanced, two fire, ice, stone and poison, I know, but I really dont feel like using Pokemon again as mere tools as I had to in Reborn and throwing them away after using them for one or two horrifyingly-hard battles. And I dont feel like grinding with wild pokemon dozens of times either.
This is a lot, but only since this is my first post and I had to establish my general experience so far. Usually I calm down after a bit of rage in my videos, and I think that Daybreak mostly IS a decent challenge, but there are some core-aspects of the Difficulty which are enourmously lacking in my opinion, keeping me from recommending it to more casual-playing friends. I beat Reborn and I will definitely beat Daybreak, but I assume there will be a LOT of frustration an emotions in my way yet to come. Also note that I am someone who complains a lot about difficult videogames. I'm someone who likes it easy, so I'm aware that I'm not the typical Pokemon-Fangameplayer.

Anyways, as it often is the cae in the internet, the criticism looks a lot more than what I like, so let me state it again: Thanks for making Daybreak, overall I quite enjoy it so far, feeling this excitement of traveling a natural-looking region with a new team, seeing new cities and challenges. I think the Balancing has some dangerous errors, but thats subjective and even if I rage my brains out now and then in my walkthrough, so far I came always back collected. While Daybreak lacks the other strong points that for example Reborn has aside from the Gameplay(Story, characters, design, soundtrack, ...) it's a way more player-friendly and relaxed Fangame which is exactly what I hoped it to be.

I also hope I can overcome the following challenges and that you don't take my criticism too personal. That's it from me for now, I'll continue my Armira-Journey soon and will be back with some updates when there's something to talk about.

Have a nice day! <3

randomuser767

Rookie
Hey! Loving the game so far - chose Leafeon as my starter since I got a +Attack nature and it's been awesome. I've also got an Armiran Greninja and an Armiran Hippowdon on the team that are really freaking cool.

Question though - I just got to the safari zone and I'm getting a script error whenever I throw a pokeball and then the game crashes. Is there a fix to this currently?

Shaye

Just an avid fan of Pokémon games
how do i evolve gligar you can only give razor fang to him instead of using it

99sai

Novice
the reason i delete this game is because, one and maybe the only reason, imbalance in battle, slightly annoying at battling against wild pokemon where their skill is not what they should have at their level, and oh gooooooooooood, facing gym leader never this fucking so hard before compare in official game. i know you want to create your own game with your own story or maybe new fake pokemon, yes please,go ahead, that is the point making your own game, but please, don't messup the battle logic, official pokemon game is fun because their battling logic well balance between your pokemon and all trainers pokemon in game including gym leader, enemy leader, elite four and region champion.

azheng25

Rookie
the reason i delete this game is because, one and maybe the only reason, imbalance in battle, slightly annoying at battling against wild pokemon where their skill is not what they should have at their level, and oh gooooooooooood, facing gym leader never this fucking so hard before compare in official game. i know you want to create your own game with your own story or maybe new fake pokemon, yes please,go ahead, that is the point making your own game, but please, don't messup the battle logic, official pokemon game is fun because their battling logic well balance between your pokemon and all trainers pokemon in game including gym leader, enemy leader, elite four and region champion.
Did you choose normal mode or hard mode? If you chose normal mode, then you are just bad at pokemon, and if you chose hard mode, did you expect the game to be easy? Even hard mode, the game is much easier than other popular rom hacks like pokemon radical red or pokemon unbound.

Shaye

Just an avid fan of Pokémon games
in the first area covered in fire i saw voltsy catch a froakie but whenever i check the encounters it doesn't show for me instead theres a tepig instead. Anywhere else i could catch it?

99sai

Novice
Did you choose normal mode or hard mode? If you chose normal mode, then you are just bad at pokemon, and if you chose hard mode, did you expect the game to be easy? Even hard mode, the game is much easier than other popular rom hacks like pokemon radical red or pokemon unbound.
choose normal, and i finish playing radical red just fine, well indeed quite hard but still able to finish it. and yet not this one, even recently playing pokemon bushido which when you face the clan leader or enemy leader where they trow all buff and status ailments at the first move and not just that, they always move first, and yet i still able to finish the game. maybe i just not compatible with this one, so i drop it

Tw_raZ

Daybreak Dev
in the first area covered in fire i saw voltsy catch a froakie but whenever i check the encounters it doesn't show for me instead theres a tepig instead. Anywhere else i could catch it?
we moved it to terride cave lower

Tw_raZ

Daybreak Dev
we didnt mess with the battle "logic". This game is more challenging. We have many acclaims that its not as bullshit as the likes of Reborn or as grindy as the likes of Dark Rising, so we're confident the difficulty or balance isn't off. It just sounds like you aren't very good.

BurningOcean2020

Rookie
Did this get its postgame finished?I don't want to get all invested in a story if there's any loose ends left. 🤔

jutawanbrobro

Rookie
i got error " Script 'Game_Player' line 475: TypeError occured. can't convert Fixnum inton String "
anyone have solution?

Back