• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Pumpkin

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Overview

Perhaps you are wondering where the "Redux" in this game's title comes from. For that, there is a long answer and a short answer.

The Long: Pokémon Pumpkin is my second completed fangame, which I released in 2018. For those who know me from other sites, yes, Pokémon Castaway came out before Pumpkin. However, Pumpkin's development was finished before I agreed to join Relic Castle's Game Jam Four. Michael and I began talking because he showed up in my DMs demanding to test and I was too shy to say no volunteered to playtest Pumpkin. Things just rolled from there. A full year has passed since then. During that time I've started my most ambitious project yet with Michael, completed another tiny fangame, abandoned two other personal projects, and left the wonderful Pokémon Umbra team to focus on myself. (Alright, that should be enough plugs.) Though this is the long explanation, I won't get into the nitty-gritty. What I will say is that I've been very conflicted since the summer about the quality of my work and what I want my fangames to be. I found myself questioning everything from graphical styles to gameplay mechanics. In the end, I decided that I would remake Pokémon Pumpkin into a game I respect more. Pumpkin will never be perfect, but I wanted to do it a little more justice with the dev skills I have built up over the past year.

In addition, I have to give a really big thanks to @Michael for all the hard work he put into this game. He helped me revamp trainer sprites, and puzzle out the logistics (or lack thereof) of coding. He dragged me out of the angst (a bit more literally than you'd think) and motivated me to finish this.

The Short:

Old game bad. New game less bad.

Visual Comparisons

CCOzvsb.png

4FsezOt.png

sljYHcY.png

Slgjcss.png
What does this mean?

1. Can I transfer my save from old Pumpkin to Pumpkin Redux?
Unfortunately, you cannot. There are a number of mapping and eventing differences that will inevitably result in softlocks, bugs, and other sequential problems.

2. Do I need to play old Pumpkin to understand Pumpkin Redux?
Nope! The story's gone through a couple logistical refinements, but it's all the same in the end.

3. I found a bug in the old game, can you help me out?
First of all, don't play the old version if you somehow got ahold of it. The answer is yes, but please DM me rather than posting the bug on the thread. I'd prefer to keep problems with the new game here now, so there isn't confusion.

The Story
The game takes place over a single day, October 31st. Being the sugar-starved child that you are, you convince your overprotective sister to let you set out on a trick-or-treating adventure across the region. Her only condition? (Beyond staying on the path, not seeking out serial killers, and looking both ways before crossing the street.) Be home before midnight. Collect candy, make some unlikely friends, and solve a few mysteries along the way!

Features
  • A trick-or-treating system
  • An informal candy economy: trade your sweets for certain Pokémon, helpful items, and other useful supplies
  • A major trainer battle and encounter overhaul to increase difficulty
  • Around 8 to 16 hours of gameplay
  • A murder-mystery-solving segment
  • A walkthrough for the aforementioned murder-mystery segment, should that not be your jam
  • Pokémon from up to gen 7
  • The plot twist is probably not that you were a real ghost the entire time
  • There's uh, probably some semblance of writing in this somewhere
Screenshots

Y2XKUi2.gif

P6qnLcW.gif

dUx02LK.gif

gQBKpjF.gif

EtNLrXz.gif

Download Link
Credits
Audio
Full Youtube playlist.

Additional SEs and BGS
Vovo
iteachvader
Yoni Arousement
ZharK

Graphics
AJ. Nitro
Alistar
Aveontrainer
Badatman3
BobDSmith
C1994
Clara
Davias
Desgardes
Drshnaps
Eevee
Ekat
Heartlessdragoon
Heisenman
JigglyPuffGirl
Kyledove
LunarDusk6
M3rein
Michael
Mikker
Nemau
Nx-Kun
Pika
Pipian
Ploaj
Pokémon Acanthite
Pokémon Alexandrite
Pokémon Dawn
Pokémon Eclipse
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Rejuvination Team
Previous
PrincessPhoenix
redblueyellow
Sergiofr_18
Shadow Sora
Smartypanda
Smogon SM Sprite Project
Smogon XY Sprite Project
SoniChaos
Sora Havok
spaceemotion
spritemight
Techokami
TiarnyTurnabout
TheMorningFlash15
Unas
Vurtax
Wesley FG
xPokeJosex
Zhen Lin
Zein

Scripts
Crystal Noel
DerxwnaKapsyla
Diego Mertins
FL
game_guy
JessWishes
Lucidious89
Luka S.J.
Marin
Maralis
Maruno
Michael
Mr. Gela
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Zero Team
Tustin2121.
Vendily
Wolfpp
Zerokid

Testing
@Michael
@Scyl

Creator
Ekat

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out!
"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain
Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo

Last edited:

Astefia

Cooltrainer
You're free to debug yourself out if you want to. I'm not too fussed w/the bugs of this game or anyone messing around with the files bc of how old it is.
By opening the game in RPG Maker? There is no debug options in the menu.

Michael

That One Guy
Alright, so, you're actually not softlocked. There's a staircase at the top-left of the basement that takes you up to a higher level. If you keep going up, you'll find your rival and the story can continue from there.

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
Wow...the plot twist was heartbreaking, man. An amazing game as always, I was waiting for a plot twist about the murderer since one of the reasons your games are so damn good is the story but THAT? Spectacular.

I just finished the game so I'm lost for words lol

The only thing I'm sad about is I didn't get the use the deoxy much, wish I trained it up earlier lol

JoyceK

Rookie
Would someone be able to help with the Mightyena Murder Mystery? I don't have enough evidence for the allegations portion but I can't get any new dialogue after talking to everyone a million times. For the clues I have: Autopsy, Garden Stake, Sharp Trophy, Smell Clue, Tunnel Clue, Divorce Clue, & Spouse Clue. For the testimonies, I have the: Mayor's, Aqua Jr's, Bee's, Flareon's, and Butler's

floodryan123

Trainer
game look school. I see the RPGXP Project is in the game but I think the game is missing some files to open up in RPB maker. Is there any chance you'd be willing to release the PBS files? Thanks for giving it consideration. If you'd like to know more about why I want the PBS files I'd be happy to explain. Thanks.

game look school. I see the RPGXP Project is in the game but I think the game is missing some files to open up in RPB maker. Is there any chance you'd be willing to release the PBS files? Thanks for giving it consideration. If you'd like to know more about why I want the PBS files I'd be happy to explain. Thanks.
Hi there, thank you for your interest in the game. I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in releasing the PBS at this time, and the PBS files aren't needed to open the game in the RMXP editor. The game doesn't read them. They're used to alter the information that is stored in the data files. You only would need them if you're trying to recompile the game for whatever reason.

The data and graphics files are hidden, but still readable by the game & editor. (An old, mostly pointless trick for anyone who keeps their "show hidden files" setting on.)

Last edited:

floodryan123

Trainer
Hi there, thank you for your interest in the game. I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in releasing the PBS at this time, and the PBS files aren't needed to open the game in the RMXP editor. The game doesn't read them. They're used to alter the information that is stored in the data files. You only would need them if you're trying to recompile the game for whatever reason.

The data and graphics files are hidden, but still readable by the game & editor. (An old, mostly pointless trick for anyone who keeps their "show hidden files" setting on.)
ok! gl with your game!

Back