• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Pumpkin

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Overview

Perhaps you are wondering where the "Redux" in this game's title comes from. For that, there is a long answer and a short answer.

The Long: Pokémon Pumpkin is my second completed fangame, which I released in 2018. For those who know me from other sites, yes, Pokémon Castaway came out before Pumpkin. However, Pumpkin's development was finished before I agreed to join Relic Castle's Game Jam Four. Michael and I began talking because he showed up in my DMs demanding to test and I was too shy to say no volunteered to playtest Pumpkin. Things just rolled from there. A full year has passed since then. During that time I've started my most ambitious project yet with Michael, completed another tiny fangame, abandoned two other personal projects, and left the wonderful Pokémon Umbra team to focus on myself. (Alright, that should be enough plugs.) Though this is the long explanation, I won't get into the nitty-gritty. What I will say is that I've been very conflicted since the summer about the quality of my work and what I want my fangames to be. I found myself questioning everything from graphical styles to gameplay mechanics. In the end, I decided that I would remake Pokémon Pumpkin into a game I respect more. Pumpkin will never be perfect, but I wanted to do it a little more justice with the dev skills I have built up over the past year.

In addition, I have to give a really big thanks to @Michael for all the hard work he put into this game. He helped me revamp trainer sprites, and puzzle out the logistics (or lack thereof) of coding. He dragged me out of the angst (a bit more literally than you'd think) and motivated me to finish this.

The Short:

Old game bad. New game less bad.

Visual Comparisons

CCOzvsb.png

4FsezOt.png

sljYHcY.png

Slgjcss.png
What does this mean?

1. Can I transfer my save from old Pumpkin to Pumpkin Redux?
Unfortunately, you cannot. There are a number of mapping and eventing differences that will inevitably result in softlocks, bugs, and other sequential problems.

2. Do I need to play old Pumpkin to understand Pumpkin Redux?
Nope! The story's gone through a couple logistical refinements, but it's all the same in the end.

3. I found a bug in the old game, can you help me out?
First of all, don't play the old version if you somehow got ahold of it. The answer is yes, but please DM me rather than posting the bug on the thread. I'd prefer to keep problems with the new game here now, so there isn't confusion.

The Story
The game takes place over a single day, October 31st. Being the sugar-starved child that you are, you convince your overprotective sister to let you set out on a trick-or-treating adventure across the region. Her only condition? (Beyond staying on the path, not seeking out serial killers, and looking both ways before crossing the street.) Be home before midnight. Collect candy, make some unlikely friends, and solve a few mysteries along the way!

Features
  • A trick-or-treating system
  • An informal candy economy: trade your sweets for certain Pokémon, helpful items, and other useful supplies
  • A major trainer battle and encounter overhaul to increase difficulty
  • Around 8 to 16 hours of gameplay
  • A murder-mystery-solving segment
  • A walkthrough for the aforementioned murder-mystery segment, should that not be your jam
  • Pokémon from up to gen 7
  • The plot twist is probably not that you were a real ghost the entire time
  • There's uh, probably some semblance of writing in this somewhere
Screenshots

Y2XKUi2.gif

P6qnLcW.gif

dUx02LK.gif

gQBKpjF.gif

EtNLrXz.gif

Download Link
Credits
Audio
Full Youtube playlist.

Additional SEs and BGS
Vovo
iteachvader
Yoni Arousement
ZharK

Graphics
AJ. Nitro
Alistar
Aveontrainer
Badatman3
BobDSmith
C1994
Clara
Davias
Desgardes
Drshnaps
Eevee
Ekat
Heartlessdragoon
Heisenman
JigglyPuffGirl
Kyledove
LunarDusk6
M3rein
Michael
Mikker
Nemau
Nx-Kun
Pika
Pipian
Ploaj
Pokémon Acanthite
Pokémon Alexandrite
Pokémon Dawn
Pokémon Eclipse
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Rejuvination Team
Previous
PrincessPhoenix
redblueyellow
Sergiofr_18
Shadow Sora
Smartypanda
Smogon SM Sprite Project
Smogon XY Sprite Project
SoniChaos
Sora Havok
spaceemotion
spritemight
Techokami
TiarnyTurnabout
TheMorningFlash15
Unas
Vurtax
Wesley FG
xPokeJosex
Zhen Lin
Zein

Scripts
Crystal Noel
DerxwnaKapsyla
Diego Mertins
FL
game_guy
JessWishes
Lucidious89
Luka S.J.
Marin
Maralis
Maruno
Michael
Mr. Gela
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Zero Team
Tustin2121.
Vendily
Wolfpp
Zerokid

Testing
@Michael
@Scyl

Creator
Ekat

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out!
"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain
Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo

Last edited:

Maxeneize

Rookie
Hey! I know I arrived late to the halloween party, but I've just discovered this game and I am thoroughly enjoying it. However, I am kinda stuck, not knowing where to go after meeting the Mayor in the cemetery and receiving strenght. There are two smashable rocks blocking the exit on the cemetery, a Red Gyarados member blocking the Ciclyng road and a police officer blocking the bridge to Elm City. So, how should I proceed?

Hey! I know I arrived late to the halloween party, but I've just discovered this game and I am thoroughly enjoying it. However, I am kinda stuck, not knowing where to go after meeting the Mayor in the cemetery and receiving strenght. There are two smashable rocks blocking the exit on the cemetery, a Red Gyarados member blocking the Ciclyng road and a police officer blocking the bridge to Elm City. So, how should I proceed?

I'm glad that you're enjoying the game so far! Go to the gate between the Cemetery and the Forest, and take the northern exit. From there, you can climb up the mountain, now that you have Strength.

j7IDyxE.png

g54PaIN.png

BiN2dXl.png

LX0MG4r.png

You won't get Rock Smash until near the very end of the game, although I'm sure you've noticed a couple areas, like the Mansion's Underground, where there are currently inaccessible places.

Maxeneize

Rookie
Oh, I wasn't able to see that cave entrance because the map loks really dark. Thank you!

Sylvia Stormsinger

Rookie
Hello New to the castle but when I downloaded the game here it said it was missing some file and wouldn't play. Is there any other link I could try to download the game from to get that file. Extracting showed no errors so it must be a missing file or there is something I am doing wrong. The thing it says when I open the game is RGSS-RTP Standard not found

Hello New to the castle but when I downloaded the game here it said it was missing some file and wouldn't play. Is there any other link I could try to download the game from to get that file. Extracting showed no errors so it must be a missing file or there is something I am doing wrong. The thing it says when I open the game is RGSS-RTP Standard not found

Sorry, I keep meaning to get around to uploading a new copy of the game with the RGSS, but it hasn't been high on my life's priorities. Mostly because I don't really care for this game anymore. I'll add it now so people don't have to keep fixing it themselves.

I would like to thank you for making the best Pokemon Fan Game I have ever played on my Twitch channel.
Also I just got to the graveyard and S C R E W Y O U! I didn't want to cry on stream, but here I am. Crying.

Funnily enough, I've actually been working on a remake of Pumpkin that's set to be released soon. Because the current one doesn't hold up to my standards. I'm not really active on RC, so here's a link to the Reborn thread. But either way, I'm glad that you enjoyed the game so far!

Militaryjones02

Rookie
Okay this is a little embarrassing but I'm stuck at the investigation part xD I think I got all the clues but I'm not sure and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have rock smash or not.

Okay this is a little embarrassing but I'm stuck at the investigation part xD I think I got all the clues but I'm not sure and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have rock smash or not.

8j9eSC6.png

The game comes included with a guide that can help you along throughout the case. But if you don't want to run the risk of spoilers, then you're going to have to be more specific about where you are. (What evidence you have, who you've talked to, who you've fought, etc.) One thing I can assure you of though is that you do not need Rocksmash, it is in fact the last HM you need in the game.

Thunder

Novice
I never finished the first game since I got bored after the mansion case and stopped after giving bikers lunch or something. Hopefully I can be more interested in the redux version.

Dabadee

Rookie
Hi there, I just started playing. I love the atmosphere even if I have only reached the mall as for now.
Since I found a pumpkaboo using honey on trees, I wanted to ask if there's an alternative-to-trading evolution method for it in game, like a stone or something (it would be a pity not to use the pumpkin pokemon in Pokémon Pumpkin)

Michael

That One Guy
Hi there, I just started playing. I love the atmosphere even if I have only reached the mall as for now.
Since I found a pumpkaboo using honey on trees, I wanted to ask if there's an alternative-to-trading evolution method for it in game, like a stone or something (it would be a pity not to use the pumpkin pokemon in Pokémon Pumpkin)
Yeah, the item is called "spare gameboy." You'll find a few along your way

Dabadee

Rookie
This was creepy, comfy, aesthetically pleasing, cute, sad, intriguing, challenging, suprising in its plot twists. The minigames and puzzles were great and although the themes were serious didn't feel edgy at all thanks to the perspective of the protagonist. I feel like you've been able to really tell a story through the game and tackle both supernatural and "adult fears" (as the name of the trope) in a subtle and interesting way, which is something very rarely a pokemon game or fangame accomplishes.
I didn't feel the most 4th wall breaking humourous parts necessary, mainly because I'm mostly for in-world humour (I loved the gang's nicknames and the absurd moon parenthesis) and felt the adventourous pokémon feeling even in this setting. I believe you integrated really well the various aspects of the story with pokémon mithology, as the reveal fitted perfectly thanks to you adding the pokédex description.
When the slasher talked about a copycat I got the identity of the killer and her aggressiveness made sense in retrospect. The bitterweet ending is A+.
Encountered some bugs but nothing terrible
The game corner has a prize "PROTIEN", some trees and umbrellas block the player in weird ways, during the final battle my pokémon's sprites disappeared once they were revived
sfhfgfhgfg.png
A true example of how paying attention to smaller games is worth it. If you're in a fall/winter mood do yourself a favor and play this game in the warm of your house, it's much more than a good pokémon game.

Last edited:
This was creepy, comfy, aesthetically pleasing, cute, sad, intriguing, challenging, suprising in its plot twists. The minigames and puzzles were great and although the themes were serious didn't feel edgy at all thanks to the perspective of the protagonist. I feel like you've been able to really tell a story through the game and tackle both supernatural and "adult fears" (as the name of the trope) in a subtle and interesting way, which is something very rarely a pokemon game or fangame accomplishes.
I didn't feel the most 4th wall breaking humourous parts necessary, mainly because I'm mostly for in-world humour (I loved the gang's nicknames and the absurd moon parenthesis) and felt the adventourous pokémon feeling even in this setting. I believe you integrated really well the various aspects of the story with pokémon mithology, as the reveal fitted perfectly thanks to you adding the pokédex description.
When the slasher talked about a copycat I got the identity of the killer and her aggressiveness made sense in retrospect. The bitterweet ending is A+.
Encountered some bugs but nothing terrible
The game corner has a prize "PROTIEN", some trees and umbrellas block the player in weird ways, during the final battle my pokémon's sprites disappeared once they were revived
sfhfgfhgfg.png
A true example of how paying attention to smaller games is worth it. If you're in a fall/winter mood do yourself a favor and play this game in the warm of your house, it's much more than a good pokémon game.

Thank-you for your thoughts! I just made a quick update to the game to fix what I could.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
i wouldve loved to play this, but for some reason anytime i try to download from a Gdrive link, i get a Failed - Forbidden error, so i guess no delightful Halloween themed fan game for me.

Back