• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Pumpkin

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Overview

Perhaps you are wondering where the "Redux" in this game's title comes from. For that, there is a long answer and a short answer.

The Long: Pokémon Pumpkin is my second completed fangame, which I released in 2018. For those who know me from other sites, yes, Pokémon Castaway came out before Pumpkin. However, Pumpkin's development was finished before I agreed to join Relic Castle's Game Jam Four. Michael and I began talking because he showed up in my DMs demanding to test and I was too shy to say no volunteered to playtest Pumpkin. Things just rolled from there. A full year has passed since then. During that time I've started my most ambitious project yet with Michael, completed another tiny fangame, abandoned two other personal projects, and left the wonderful Pokémon Umbra team to focus on myself. (Alright, that should be enough plugs.) Though this is the long explanation, I won't get into the nitty-gritty. What I will say is that I've been very conflicted since the summer about the quality of my work and what I want my fangames to be. I found myself questioning everything from graphical styles to gameplay mechanics. In the end, I decided that I would remake Pokémon Pumpkin into a game I respect more. Pumpkin will never be perfect, but I wanted to do it a little more justice with the dev skills I have built up over the past year.

In addition, I have to give a really big thanks to @Michael for all the hard work he put into this game. He helped me revamp trainer sprites, and puzzle out the logistics (or lack thereof) of coding. He dragged me out of the angst (a bit more literally than you'd think) and motivated me to finish this.

The Short:

Old game bad. New game less bad.

Visual Comparisons

CCOzvsb.png

4FsezOt.png

sljYHcY.png

Slgjcss.png
What does this mean?

1. Can I transfer my save from old Pumpkin to Pumpkin Redux?
Unfortunately, you cannot. There are a number of mapping and eventing differences that will inevitably result in softlocks, bugs, and other sequential problems.

2. Do I need to play old Pumpkin to understand Pumpkin Redux?
Nope! The story's gone through a couple logistical refinements, but it's all the same in the end.

3. I found a bug in the old game, can you help me out?
First of all, don't play the old version if you somehow got ahold of it. The answer is yes, but please DM me rather than posting the bug on the thread. I'd prefer to keep problems with the new game here now, so there isn't confusion.

The Story
The game takes place over a single day, October 31st. Being the sugar-starved child that you are, you convince your overprotective sister to let you set out on a trick-or-treating adventure across the region. Her only condition? (Beyond staying on the path, not seeking out serial killers, and looking both ways before crossing the street.) Be home before midnight. Collect candy, make some unlikely friends, and solve a few mysteries along the way!

Features
  • A trick-or-treating system
  • An informal candy economy: trade your sweets for certain Pokémon, helpful items, and other useful supplies
  • A major trainer battle and encounter overhaul to increase difficulty
  • Around 8 to 16 hours of gameplay
  • A murder-mystery-solving segment
  • A walkthrough for the aforementioned murder-mystery segment, should that not be your jam
  • Pokémon from up to gen 7
  • The plot twist is probably not that you were a real ghost the entire time
  • There's uh, probably some semblance of writing in this somewhere
Screenshots

Y2XKUi2.gif

P6qnLcW.gif

dUx02LK.gif

gQBKpjF.gif

EtNLrXz.gif

Download Link
Credits
Audio
Full Youtube playlist.

Additional SEs and BGS
Vovo
iteachvader
Yoni Arousement
ZharK

Graphics
AJ. Nitro
Alistar
Aveontrainer
Badatman3
BobDSmith
C1994
Clara
Davias
Desgardes
Drshnaps
Eevee
Ekat
Heartlessdragoon
Heisenman
JigglyPuffGirl
Kyledove
LunarDusk6
M3rein
Michael
Mikker
Nemau
Nx-Kun
Pika
Pipian
Ploaj
Pokémon Acanthite
Pokémon Alexandrite
Pokémon Dawn
Pokémon Eclipse
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Rejuvination Team
Previous
PrincessPhoenix
redblueyellow
Sergiofr_18
Shadow Sora
Smartypanda
Smogon SM Sprite Project
Smogon XY Sprite Project
SoniChaos
Sora Havok
spaceemotion
spritemight
Techokami
TiarnyTurnabout
TheMorningFlash15
Unas
Vurtax
Wesley FG
xPokeJosex
Zhen Lin
Zein

Scripts
Crystal Noel
DerxwnaKapsyla
Diego Mertins
FL
game_guy
JessWishes
Lucidious89
Luka S.J.
Marin
Maralis
Maruno
Michael
Mr. Gela
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Zero Team
Tustin2121.
Vendily
Wolfpp
Zerokid

Testing
@Michael
@Scyl

Creator
Ekat

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out!
"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain
Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo

Last edited:

Jona1

Novice
woah i really love it, you did a really good job on the game o.o ;o

Michael

That One Guy
As the first playtester and potentially the only one who actually bothered to complete the game, I thoroughly recommend this game! It was a lot of fun to play, had an interesting and intriguing story and was generally a good time all around. I know all of you guys are gonna enjoy this one as much as I did. Cheers!

PhantomTheEevee

Member of the Aether Foundation
Looks like an ideal game to play during a stormy autumn night while enjoying a hot cocoa.

SilentSecond

Rookie
Hi ;o im still at start but here is a very early review:
Pros:
Art is mindblowing sweet and thematic
Trick orThreat mechanics (i enjoy the house fights and the pumpkins telling me which house is done)
The nurse joys disguises with the songs are pretty hilarious
The fact most npcs know u already talked to them, specially the first nurse joy.
The references from other games seem fun and at least for me not too much

Cons:
U forgot to put the RGSS104E.dll, which i had to get it from my pokemon essentials(i have RGSS102E.dll and i renamed it)
The library start feels kinda weird how u walk around it.

Some minor things:
Some npcs dont turn to u when talking
Some grammar errors
Peck having gust animation feels weird

Hope this helps ;o

Last edited:
Hi ;o im still at start but here is a very early review:
Some npcs dont turn to u when talking
Hope this helps ;o

Hi! Thanks for playing the game so far and you input!

elZ62Ae.png

I've modified the library tileset somewhat to appear a little less awkward when the player is walking on the upper level. In addition to that, I have a question about the direction fix thing. I've checked the NPCs of the areas up to the campsite, and all of them are fine.

If you're referring to the campers having direction fix on, that's deliberate. If you talk to them, you'll note they joke about it; they're just doing very bad impressions of what normal humans act like.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Clifford

Mr. Sandman
FANTASTIC game so far! :oD The murder-mystery segment was such a fun time, and the writing itself is pretty humorous.

Unfortunately, I think I'm stuck at the route to Elm (unless there's a really obvious way around it that I'm missing because my eyes have just become that bad)

tumblr_inline_ph35bxsNIk1r7ef8e_1280.png

I think there's supposed to be stairs here? I was watching a play tester's stream to help figure it out and they were there, but if it was replaced by a different path then I'd really like to know. I tend to get lost in these games pretty easily, aha

FANTASTIC game so far! :oD The murder-mystery segment was such a fun time, and the writing itself is pretty humorous.

Unfortunately, I think I'm stuck at the route to Elm (unless there's a really obvious way around it that I'm missing because my eyes have just become that bad)

tumblr_inline_ph35bxsNIk1r7ef8e_1280.png

I think there's supposed to be stairs here? I was watching a play tester's stream to help figure it out and they were there, but if it was replaced by a different path then I'd really like to know. I tend to get lost in these games pretty easily, aha

Hi, I'm glad you liked the writing with the mansion segment. I spent a long time trying to keep things logically consistent. The path did get switched around post-stream, so I wound up removing the sideways stairs there. I did a quick check and realized I still left a hopping ledge on the map to the north, which is what's causing the problemo. I released a patched version of the game to cover that.

rayray28

Rookie
Hello! I just created an account after playing/finishing this game (just in time for Halloween~), so I can post and say how much I appreciated this game! This is so unique and so fun, with such an original storyline -- it's been one of my favorite fangames thus far! Thank you so much for creating and sharing it!! :)

I think I've finished the game and all the mini sidequests and
caught some legendaries [may I ask how many are available, in case there are any I missed? Also, also, are there any postgame content available only after finishing the game that I missed? :3

Anyway, it was a fantastic game and so much fun to play! Definitely made my Halloween worthwhile! Thank you again!! Happy Halloween!! ^_^

Aaaah! Thank-you! I'm so happy that you got through Pumpkin and happy Halloween!
There are four legendary Pokémon available in Pumpkin.
1. Deoxys: Hatched from the Egg you get upon defeating Bidoof on the Moon.
2. Cresselia: Encountered in the main story, in the Elsewhere.
3. Mew: Can be fought in Elm Town's Poké Mart, where it is impersonating the shopkeeper.
4. Shaymin: Going back to Vogt Cemetary with Rock Smash, you can destroy the rocks to the northwest edge to visit Vogt Mansion. There, you'll go through a short sidequest and have the opportunity to obtain Shaymin.
As for postgame content, unfortunately, there isn't much going on. Although if you didn't already, if you go to your rival's bedroom towards the end of the game, you can get a special reward for trick-or-treating at every house in the region.

rayray28

Rookie
Aaaah! Thank-you! I'm so happy that you got through Pumpkin and happy Halloween!
There are four legendary Pokémon available in Pumpkin.
1. Deoxys: Hatched from the Egg you get upon defeating Bidoof on the Moon.
2. Cresselia: Encountered in the main story, in the Elsewhere.
3. Mew: Can be fought in Elm Town's Poké Mart, where it is impersonating the shopkeeper.
4. Shaymin: Going back to Vogt Cemetary with Rock Smash, you can destroy the rocks to the northwest edge to visit Vogt Mansion. There, you'll go through a short sidequest and have the opportunity to obtain Shaymin.
As for postgame content, unfortunately, there isn't much going on. Although if you didn't already, if you go to your rival's bedroom towards the end of the game, you can get a special reward for trick-or-treating at every house in the region.
Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!! :) I think I missed one of them, so I appreciate the help! :D -if I may ask one more thing!
Is there anything going on with the mayor's former wife's storyline and the rival? :D I know there are some paintings that lead to certain places, and overall there were lots of hints given, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything! =D
Thank you again for taking the time and effort to make such a fun game. ^_^ Have a good evening/day! :)

PhantomTheEevee

Member of the Aether Foundation
I know I'm a bit late and I actually intended to play it yesterday on Halloween... Regardless, I'm playing for half an hour so far and am already really enjoying how detailed everything is - it definitely shows that you took effort it creating a spooky and Halloween-like atmosphere. Good job on that!

EDIT: I, uhm, guess there's something wrong with one NPC on Cereus Campsite... ^^;
tumblr_phj5o20E3u1vh0d58o1_540.png

Last edited:

Michael

That One Guy
I know I'm a bit late and I actually intended to play it yesterday on Halloween... Regardless, I'm playing for half an hour so far and am already really enjoying how detailed everything is - it definitely shows that you took effort it creating a spooky and Halloween-like atmosphere. Good job on that!

EDIT: I, uhm, guess there's something wrong with one NPC on Cereus Campsite... ^^;
tumblr_phj5o20E3u1vh0d58o1_540.png
While I'm not the dev, I can tell you that the Cereus Campsite npc's are intentional. Cheers!

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!! :) I think I missed one of them, so I appreciate the help! :D -if I may ask one more thing!
Is there anything going on with the mayor's former wife's storyline and the rival? :D I know there are some paintings that lead to certain places, and overall there were lots of hints given, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything! =D
Thank you again for taking the time and effort to make such a fun game. ^_^ Have a good evening/day! :)

From what it sounds like, there aren't any more sidequests in the game you haven't done. But there are a couple of small details that you may or may not have encountered in the world.

It's no problem at all! I'm excited that you so thoroughly played through the game!

There is a house in Cypress Valley where you can sit down with an elderly man and have dinner. He'll talk a little bit about the Mayor's first wife. After he finishes his story and lets you go, leave the building, and then come back for something special. There are also a handful of minor NPCs across the world who reference the Hawthorne family. And, if you talk to the NPCs in Ivy Village who were at the dinner party, you'll notice their dialogue has changed. ;)

Back