• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Castaway

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
QOIUQUE.gif
Join our discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/DQjRyJN

The Team:
@Michael
@Ekat

Welcome to Pokémon Castaway! The player is the (not-so) fortunate winner of a trip to Alola. On the flight there, however, the plane is struck down. Landing on the mysterious Bermada Island, the player is tasked with exploring their environment while searching for fellow survivors and a way off of the island. As the player traverses further inland, it becomes evident that the island is anything but deserted. Will the player find a way off the island? And, more importantly, will they get to go on an Alolan vacation?

Features:
  • Pokémon from across all seven generations
  • Extra secrets and minibosses to unlock
  • Roughly four to six hours of gameplay
  • Plenty of puzzles and challenges throughout
  • HM moves are usable on the field by the player themselves
  • Healing and storage access from Campfires due to lack of infrastructure
  • Not Pokemon Battle Royale
  • Creative and witty dialogue across different npcs
  • and so much more!
Game Screenshots:
n8xeFwx.gif
4ab59Vg.gif
Dbp0JAM.gif
3F8EiXY.gif
7A8OOXR.gif
IrPqRKV.gif
Game Download:
Notes:
This game is the product of just under a month’s worth of frantic DMing each other. I initially started the project solo and Ekat joined later on. It was kind of amazing how similarly we both think dev-wise. Then again, I suppose there’s nothing like scrambling to meet a deadline to make two people bond. (Think of it like signing a temporary truce with your siblings, to hide the lamp you broke and junk food you ate while your parents were out for the evening.) Creating this game together was a hectic blast, and we hope you have just as much fun playing our submission!

Resource Pack:

https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/228/

Credits:
Scripts Used:
Terrain Sounds
by game_guy

Overworld Shadows & Map Exporter
by Marin

Radial Menu
by Yankas

Trainer Detection
by Shiney570

Name Windows
by Mr. Gela

Signpost Locations
by Tustin2121

Elite Battle System
by Luka S.J.
PinkCatDragon
BadSamaritan
Tebited15
redblueyellow
Eli
Pokecheck.org
lilatraube
AceRidley406
Telemetius

Scripting Utilities
by Luka S.J.

Graphics Used:

Tilesets:
WesleyFG
Zein
germy21
Macuarrorro
Ramiro Maldini
Otonashi
iamherecozidraw
syansyan
Sires J Black
Cali & Alistair
Fl.
Dawn Bronze

Battler Sprites:
Smogon XY Sprite Project
Smogon SM Sprite Project

Icons:
ORAS Icon Pack - Pikachumazzinga

Battlebacks:
Pokemon Golden Silver Battlebacks - Midnitez-REMIX

Animations:
Exclamation/Question Bubble Animations - Previous
Lightning Animations - Mikker, BobDSmith, Sora Havok, Unas, TiarnyTurnabout

Misc:
Parachute Base & Fire/Smoke Autotiles - Nitro
BW Trainer Sprites - Barubary
Dark SKY Graphic - Bacon
Pokemon Summary Screen UI - Aki
Tree Fog - Aki and Dawn Bronze

Audio:

Music:
"Super Smash Brothers WiiU" - Dark Pits Theme
"Final Fantasy 7" - Costa Del Sol, Birth of A God, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 8" - Jailed, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 10" - Battle theme, Servants of the Mountain, Via Purifico, Macalania Woods, Jecht Theme, Besaid Island
"Final Fantasy 13" - The Yaachas Massif
"Final Fantasy 13-2" - Paradigm Shift, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 15" - Invidia
"World of Final Fantasy" - Hunters Chance
"Mobius Final Fantasy" - Warrior of Light
Dracula9AntiChapel - Final Fantasy 5 Arranged Soundtrack- Walking the Snowy Mountains, The Cursed Earths
Pontus Hultgren - FFV Main Theme, Fate in Haze
Oryhpes - Great Forest of Moore, Gogos theme
sschafi1 - BlackJack, Setzers Theme, Cyans theme
JSF Music - Amarants Theme
Malcolm Robinson Music - Schalas Theme

Sound Effects:
Beach and Wave Sound Effects - FX Sounds
Jungle Sound Effects - iWav
Desert Sound Effects - Classical and Relax
RSE Sound Effects - iteachvader
Nokia Ring SE - thecomputerdude24
SMB2 Blast Off SE - J-Sinn

Other:

Gen 6 Project:
Project Organization:
WorldSlayer

Sprite converter:
dragonnite

Item Icons/various sprite work:
Serbii
TheDeKay
Radical Raptr

PBS file editing:
karstictrainer
WorldSlayer
TheDeKay
viperk1
SunakazeKun
Radical Raptr
RPD490
Takyon!
Pokegod7020

Scripting:
mej71
~JV~
TheDeKay
Maruno
XmarkXalanX
Ratty524
joeyhugg
Nickalooose
Lucidious89
AmethystRain
AlexTCGPro
Destiny
baaabuuu
trueegee
woobowiz
Saving Raven
DL Kurosh
p.claydon
dragonnite

Research:
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
snooper117

Beta Testers
/u/Dylanrockin2122
/u/GeraldJr77
/u/Worldslayer608
/u/ZODeKay
/u/Johnnyrelic
/u/Deouen
/u/zeak6464
/u/RadicalRaptr
/u/L-rM
/u/Iasper
/u/Spyname149
/u/Pegaswift
/u/KillerMapper
/u/bbwong91900
/u/Fuck_I_Fuck
/u/JackFlynt

Gen 7 Project:
Zeak6464
Tapu Fini
SpartaLazor
leparagon
BlackOutG5
Rune
Marin
Rigbycwts
Rot8er_ConeX
James Davy
Luka S.J.
Buttjuice

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak​

Last edited:
This game was a delight, thank you so much for all your work! I found that for me personally, the funnest part was actually in the beginning when you were just desperately fighting for survival and trying to scavenge beach and the wreckage to find enough resources to survive.

Any news on future ideas? Would love to see a game focused more around that survival mechanic :)

Thanks! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the Castaway! As for your question, Michael and I have a couple other games to our names as well. Pokémon Pumpkin is one of mine (and is uh, really out of season at the moment), while Michael and I have a demo out for another game called Pokémon Present. Neither are as difficult as the beginning areas of Castaway, however. They both have a few experimental mechanics in them (like a trick-or-treating system and an evidence-gathering criminal-confronting system) if you want to try them.

I also know that Michael is working on a short demo of a fangame called Autumnleaf. And, knowing my boyfriend like I do, it'll probably be pretty difficult.

8nBy9Cc.png

If metagame is really your thing, I'd recommend games like Pokémon Reborn, Rejuvenation, and Desolation, which are pretty notorious for their difficulty, depending upon the difficulty setting you choose. You will be EV and IV training if you play any them. Another game from the Reborn forums we (Michael and I) really enjoyed playing was Pokémon Conspiracy. It might be just a demo, but it's got an interesting story set up so far, and the game is on the challenging side, but not to the extent that it feels impossible. If you're just looking for games that do something different with their environment, Attack on the Space Station is a really good one, too.

Happy fangame hunting!

curseofiimmortality

Rookie
Ahh! These sound really cool :)

I was more talking about a ...abandoned on an island, forced to manage what little resources you have and surrounded on an island with dangerous pokemon out to kill you xD That was what I thought I was going on at the beginning and it was really tense and threatening

Ahh! These sound really cool :)

I was more talking about a ...abandoned on an island, forced to manage what little resources you have and surrounded on an island with dangerous pokemon out to kill you xD That was what I thought I was going on at the beginning and it was really tense and threatening

Oooh, I see! Hukon's Pokémon Wayward follows that theme as well, although the game has a less tense atmosphere. (His games are oftentimes more humourous, and his writing is always spot-on.) Without spoiling too much, you'll definitely be battling some intimidating wild Pokémon, as well as some wacky trainer battles.

SkinnyDude

Rookie
Is it possible to do a Nuzlocke of this game? Just wondering before I start it and then realize I can't. Are their any fan made pokemon? If so is there a way I can access their png of what they look like?

Last edited:
Is it possible to do a Nuzlocke of this game? Just wondering before I start it and then realize I can't. Are their any fan made pokemon? If so is there a way I can access their png of what they look like?

Yes, it is possible to do a Nuzlocke of the game, although it does not have a formal Nuzlocke mode, so you would be regulating yourself.

There are a few special Pokémon that appear in this game, but they are not obtainable by the player, nor will I post a picture of them.

Scyl

Ironically Unironic Edgelord Extraordinaire
Probably would help if you specified what your troubles were.

YozoraRyou

Rookie
unknown.png

Hi, I would like to ask about this crossed out boxes, what are these?
I have the (assumed) latest version v2.1(?) and updated with the graphics extension(?) for anyone going to ask about it.

*Edit another problem*
unknown.png

For some unknown reason, it got stuck whenever I try to get through this path.
I can't move forward if this path is "bugged/blocked" by unknown reason.
It's a shame that this is such a great fanmade game if I can't play/complete it

*Edit 2*
Also, a suggestion.
Maybe you should put a readme file together with the download about controls and some other miscellaneous kinds of stuff.
I had a hard time figuring out how to change controls/find out what the controls are and whatnot.
Also, you should've specified that this game is not emulated/romhack-type of game from the "main post" since I had no idea what it ran on as well till I researched on it.

Last edited:
unknown.png

Hi, I would like to ask about this crossed out boxes, what are these?
I have the (assumed) latest version v2.1(?) and updated with the graphics extension(?) for anyone going to ask about it.

*Edit another problem*
unknown.png

For some unknown reason, it got stuck whenever I try to get through this path.
I can't move forward if this path is "bugged/blocked" by unknown reason.
It's a shame that this is such a great fanmade game if I can't play/complete it

*Edit 2*
Also, a suggestion.
Maybe you should put a readme file together with the download about controls and some other miscellaneous kinds of stuff.
I had a hard time figuring out how to change controls/find out what the controls are and whatnot.
Also, you should've specified that this game is not emulated/romhack-type of game from the "main post" since I had no idea what it ran on as well till I researched on it.

Hm, I'm not sure why those graphical bugs are popping up- I'll ask Michael if he changed the tilesets or something in an update, because that should not be happening. What platform are you playing the game on, and/or did you change the graphics files of the game, screen size, etc? Because that's the only other reason I can think of that this would be happening to you.

**Edit**

When you said graphics extension, did you mean the resource pack? I realized upon further thinking that Castaway doesn't have a graphical update pack out right now, so that's the only thing I think you could be talking about? The graphics for the resource pack do not need to be included- this game was part of Relic Castle Game Jam 4, which holds the condition that the resources used to make in a game (like graphics) need to be uploaded to the site so that other devs can use them in their games. I know that the tileset in the resource pack and the one in the current version of Castaway have slight variations due to later updates of the game.

**Double Edit**

Michael got back to me and checked the resource pack and we are now 99% certain that you adding the resource pack is the problem. The missing tiles on your map coincide with the ones that are in the current game's graphics. In order to restore this, you will need to replace the tileset graphic with the original. This can be found in the game's tilesets folder (which in turn is in the graphics folder) . I assume you just replaced the files, rather than outright deleting them, so here's the original tileset graphic. If other things appear to be missing from the game, I would just recommend re-downloading the game without the resource pack changes. Your save file will copy over, so there's no need to worry about restarting.

M69S5wD.png

As for this being a fangame, it states quite clearly in the thread credits that it is one, as it is made with Pokémon Essentials and RPG Maker XP. Honestly, it's really basic knowledge and easy to tell the difference between a romhack and a fangame. I don't mean to take this out on you, but it is very frustrating to have to explain the obvious over and over.

As for the rocks, they are a known problem that Michael and have yet to find a solution for. All we can advise is that you 1. Don't hold the run button while going over them 2. Save before jumping across them.

Thank-you for your input, however. Michael and I are planning to do another major update of the game as its 1-year anniversary is coming up, and because the game has been getting an influx of new players lately. We will consider re-adding the controls tutorial option for people who are absolute beginners when it comes to fangames.

Last edited:

YozoraRyou

Rookie
Hm, I'm not sure why those graphical bugs are popping up- I'll ask Michael if he changed the tilesets or something in an update, because that should not be happening. What platform are you playing the game on, and/or did you change the graphics files of the game, screen size, etc? Because that's the only other reason I can think of that this would be happening to you.

**Edit**

When you said graphics extension, did you mean the resource pack? I realized upon further thinking that Castaway doesn't have a graphical update pack out right now, so that's the only thing I think you could be talking about? The graphics for the resource pack do not need to be included- this game was part of Relic Castle Game Jam 4, which holds the condition that the resources used to make in a game (like graphics) need to be uploaded to the site so that other devs can use them in their games. I know that the tileset in the resource pack and the one in the current version of Castaway have slight variations due to later updates of the game.

**Double Edit**

Michael got back to me and checked the resource pack and we are now 99% certain that you adding the resource pack is the problem. The missing tiles on your map coincide with the ones that are in the current game's graphics. In order to restore this, you will need to replace the tileset graphic with the original. This can be found in the game's tilesets folder (which in turn is in the graphics folder) . I assume you just replaced the files, rather than outright deleting them, so here's the original tileset graphic. If other things appear to be missing from the game, I would just recommend re-downloading the game without the resource pack changes. Your save file will copy over, so there's no need to worry about restarting.

Yes, it's the resource pack, and I see, that's the problem. It should be an easy fix then.

As for this being a fangame, it states quite clearly in the thread credits that it is one, as it is made with Pokémon Essentials and RPG Maker XP. Honestly, it's really basic knowledge and easy to tell the difference between a romhack and a fangame. I don't mean to take this out on you, but it is very frustrating to have to explain the obvious over and over.

Don't worry about it, and yeah. Now that you mentioned it, it's stated there in the credits. It's my fault for not reading it properly XD

As for the rocks, they are a known problem that Michael and have yet to find a solution for. All we can advise is that you 1. Don't hold the run button while going over them 2. Save before jumping across them.

Alright, I'll give it a try and will contact you again if the same problem occurs.

Thank-you for your input, however. Michael and I are planning to do another major update of the game as its 1-year anniversary is coming up, and because the game has been getting an influx of new players lately. We will consider re-adding the controls tutorial option for people who are absolute beginners when it comes to fangames.

That is great news! Will definitely be looking forward to the major update!
However, the controls tutorial to me is important in any game(with an exception if it's a chained series of games under the same individual)
Also, I would like to have some controls customization (I'm not sure if that is already available, but I do come across a setting that looks like controls customization, but had no idea what controls is associated with what actions. As shown below.)

unknown.png

And thanks for the detailed explanations and replied. Hardly any devs would actually do such things!

YozoraRyou

Rookie
unknown.png

Damn, you guys are mean xD

This guy has an L45 Octillery & L43 Beheeyem, wtf?

Yes, it's the resource pack, and I see, that's the problem. It should be an easy fix then.

Don't worry about it, and yeah. Now that you mentioned it, it's stated there in the credits. It's my fault for not reading it properly XD

Alright, I'll give it a try and will contact you again if the same problem occurs.

That is great news! Will definitely be looking forward to the major update!
However, the controls tutorial to me is important in any game(with an exception if it's a chained series of games under the same individual)
Also, I would like to have some controls customization (I'm not sure if that is already available, but I do come across a setting that looks like controls customization, but had no idea what controls is associated with what actions. As shown below.)

unknown.png

And thanks for the detailed explanations and replied. Hardly any devs would actually do such things!

No problem-o! I'm sorry for any inconveniences that things like the control set-up has caused you. Causing people headaches is pretty much the opposite intention of being in gamedev, haha. I've attached a graphic of the controls for Essentials if you ever want to use that for reference.

eF9dN0B.png

Also, in response to your other reply:

Yep! That's a special boss, one of four optional minibosses in the game. Beating three of the four will unlock a superboss, which nets you a fun easter egg if you like Final Fantasy.

YozoraRyou

Rookie
No problem-o! I'm sorry for any inconveniences that things like the control set-up has caused you. Causing people headaches is pretty much the opposite intention of being in gamedev, haha. I've attached a graphic of the controls for Essentials if you ever want to use that for reference.

eF9dN0B.png
Thanks, that would totally help a lot!

Also, in response to your other reply:

Yep! That's a special boss, one of four optional minibosses in the game. Beating three of the four will unlock a superboss, which nets you a fun easter egg if you like Final Fantasy.

Gdi, I knew it xD

xshamirx

Rookie
Recently found this game and I am loving it. I love exploring the world, and the beginning survival aspect of it was very interesting and fun. The overworld pokemon add alot to my enjoyment. I have two questions.

*SPOILERS*

a) I defeated a certain underground boss and got a lucky egg, while the description is the same... It seems that I can't equip it. Is this a glitch or by design?

b) Why did that treasure hunter SLICE INTO MY ARM?! was not expecting that at all...

Great game by the way!

Michael

That One Guy
Well since the Castaway thread is getting traction again, I decided to do a major graphical overhaul and QOL upgrade for Castaway!

This update includes:
  • A large number of areas which have had their graphics updated since the first version of the game
  • Lowered encounter rates for the more annoying areas of the game
  • A speed up button to allow the game to progress faster - the button is mapped to ALT
  • Gen 7 support for abilities, movesets and items
  • A few minor modifications to character designs
We hope you enjoy the update and continue to enjoy Castaway! Cheers!

monalyssa

Rookie
Hello,

I am having trouble getting past the part after you get the "precious item". I go back to the entrance where 4 people ambush me but then afterwards it says that I don't have the item (even though i do...) Also when i try go to the entrance again, the game crashes.
When i restart i have to fight the 4 people again as well.

Pls. help.

Back