• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Castaway

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
QOIUQUE.gif
Join our discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/DQjRyJN

The Team:
@Michael
@Ekat

Welcome to Pokémon Castaway! The player is the (not-so) fortunate winner of a trip to Alola. On the flight there, however, the plane is struck down. Landing on the mysterious Bermada Island, the player is tasked with exploring their environment while searching for fellow survivors and a way off of the island. As the player traverses further inland, it becomes evident that the island is anything but deserted. Will the player find a way off the island? And, more importantly, will they get to go on an Alolan vacation?

Features:
  • Pokémon from across all seven generations
  • Extra secrets and minibosses to unlock
  • Roughly four to six hours of gameplay
  • Plenty of puzzles and challenges throughout
  • HM moves are usable on the field by the player themselves
  • Healing and storage access from Campfires due to lack of infrastructure
  • Not Pokemon Battle Royale
  • Creative and witty dialogue across different npcs
  • and so much more!
Game Screenshots:
n8xeFwx.gif
4ab59Vg.gif
Dbp0JAM.gif
3F8EiXY.gif
7A8OOXR.gif
IrPqRKV.gif
Game Download:
Notes:
This game is the product of just under a month’s worth of frantic DMing each other. I initially started the project solo and Ekat joined later on. It was kind of amazing how similarly we both think dev-wise. Then again, I suppose there’s nothing like scrambling to meet a deadline to make two people bond. (Think of it like signing a temporary truce with your siblings, to hide the lamp you broke and junk food you ate while your parents were out for the evening.) Creating this game together was a hectic blast, and we hope you have just as much fun playing our submission!

Resource Pack:

https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/228/

Credits:
Scripts Used:
Terrain Sounds
by game_guy

Overworld Shadows & Map Exporter
by Marin

Radial Menu
by Yankas

Trainer Detection
by Shiney570

Name Windows
by Mr. Gela

Signpost Locations
by Tustin2121

Elite Battle System
by Luka S.J.
PinkCatDragon
BadSamaritan
Tebited15
redblueyellow
Eli
Pokecheck.org
lilatraube
AceRidley406
Telemetius

Scripting Utilities
by Luka S.J.

Graphics Used:

Tilesets:
WesleyFG
Zein
germy21
Macuarrorro
Ramiro Maldini
Otonashi
iamherecozidraw
syansyan
Sires J Black
Cali & Alistair
Fl.
Dawn Bronze

Battler Sprites:
Smogon XY Sprite Project
Smogon SM Sprite Project

Icons:
ORAS Icon Pack - Pikachumazzinga

Battlebacks:
Pokemon Golden Silver Battlebacks - Midnitez-REMIX

Animations:
Exclamation/Question Bubble Animations - Previous
Lightning Animations - Mikker, BobDSmith, Sora Havok, Unas, TiarnyTurnabout

Misc:
Parachute Base & Fire/Smoke Autotiles - Nitro
BW Trainer Sprites - Barubary
Dark SKY Graphic - Bacon
Pokemon Summary Screen UI - Aki
Tree Fog - Aki and Dawn Bronze

Audio:

Music:
"Super Smash Brothers WiiU" - Dark Pits Theme
"Final Fantasy 7" - Costa Del Sol, Birth of A God, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 8" - Jailed, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 10" - Battle theme, Servants of the Mountain, Via Purifico, Macalania Woods, Jecht Theme, Besaid Island
"Final Fantasy 13" - The Yaachas Massif
"Final Fantasy 13-2" - Paradigm Shift, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 15" - Invidia
"World of Final Fantasy" - Hunters Chance
"Mobius Final Fantasy" - Warrior of Light
Dracula9AntiChapel - Final Fantasy 5 Arranged Soundtrack- Walking the Snowy Mountains, The Cursed Earths
Pontus Hultgren - FFV Main Theme, Fate in Haze
Oryhpes - Great Forest of Moore, Gogos theme
sschafi1 - BlackJack, Setzers Theme, Cyans theme
JSF Music - Amarants Theme
Malcolm Robinson Music - Schalas Theme

Sound Effects:
Beach and Wave Sound Effects - FX Sounds
Jungle Sound Effects - iWav
Desert Sound Effects - Classical and Relax
RSE Sound Effects - iteachvader
Nokia Ring SE - thecomputerdude24
SMB2 Blast Off SE - J-Sinn

Other:

Gen 6 Project:
Project Organization:
WorldSlayer

Sprite converter:
dragonnite

Item Icons/various sprite work:
Serbii
TheDeKay
Radical Raptr

PBS file editing:
karstictrainer
WorldSlayer
TheDeKay
viperk1
SunakazeKun
Radical Raptr
RPD490
Takyon!
Pokegod7020

Scripting:
mej71
~JV~
TheDeKay
Maruno
XmarkXalanX
Ratty524
joeyhugg
Nickalooose
Lucidious89
AmethystRain
AlexTCGPro
Destiny
baaabuuu
trueegee
woobowiz
Saving Raven
DL Kurosh
p.claydon
dragonnite

Research:
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
snooper117

Beta Testers
/u/Dylanrockin2122
/u/GeraldJr77
/u/Worldslayer608
/u/ZODeKay
/u/Johnnyrelic
/u/Deouen
/u/zeak6464
/u/RadicalRaptr
/u/L-rM
/u/Iasper
/u/Spyname149
/u/Pegaswift
/u/KillerMapper
/u/bbwong91900
/u/Fuck_I_Fuck
/u/JackFlynt

Gen 7 Project:
Zeak6464
Tapu Fini
SpartaLazor
leparagon
BlackOutG5
Rune
Marin
Rigbycwts
Rot8er_ConeX
James Davy
Luka S.J.
Buttjuice

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak​

Last edited:

Iron_Rx

Novice
1.4.2 is now released - found a fix for the random softlocks experienced during rock jumping segments! I hope you guys continue to enjoy Castaway!

26b92f7c2b7bc4d75dc95ba94d7b4f4d.png

I still get stuck here NW of Argon's Camp. I'm on version 1.7.

Iron_Rx

Novice
yeah the softlocking is random - theres literally no way to actually prevent it, you just have to take the puzzles slow - removing running shoes from the player just eases it a bit.
K, thanks for the tip.

Iron_Rx

Novice
What am I supposed to do about this? (looks like those rails were added since Buttjuice's stream.)

47ad765bc822ed2e871654947dfe0618.png

I love it. This game is absolutely excellent.

The amount of detail that went into the presentation and polish of this game are awesome. I can appreciate the small touches as both a player and another developer. The mapping is superb, the music choice is pleasant, the fogs and ambience are on point. Anyone who says gen 3 can't be gorgeous should really play this game, it's proof that with some elbow grease it can look even better than most of the gen 4 games out there. (In my opinion, of course!)

I have nitpicks, which shouldn't be surprising. I think the level curve is still a bit too spike-y if you want to let the Player's wild Pokémon stay competitive with the curve itself. I've had to drop a handful of team members simply because they couldn't keep up. I'm not sure if you have the Split EXP setting on for the EXP share, but I'd suggest turning it off if you do. That might help smooth it out a bit. There was also a large amount of floating battle sprites.

Some quality of life tweaks would be welcome; namely showing the "would you like to swim" message only the first time and letting the Player simply go into the water when they interact with it in the future. The same goes for the fire; by the second or third time I do understand that the Player feels relaxed around it, I think it would be fine to get to the point and ask what they wanted to do immediately. I also noticed there's no evolution music or jingles for it. While not a requirement by any means, I think it would be nice to see some more custom UI for the battle scene. The default EBS scene has been, well, seen quite a bit after all. This game definitely warrants that extra bit of time into something like this, not that I'm counting the lack of it against the entry. You had a month after all.

Those aside? Superb game. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I don't think anything past the point where I am is going to change my mind about this entry. Kudos!

Yeah I was right, my mind isn't changed. Excellent game, didn't see who the boss was going to be at the end hahaha. I'm not sure if you have custom movesets on their team though; their Armaldo knew Water Gun and their Malamar (with Contrary) had Calm Mind. Lots of battles in the end, but it was neat either way!

Last edited:

Michael

That One Guy
Version 2.0 is finally out! This version provides a bunch of changes to menus such as a custom summary screen, load screen and new battle ui! As well, I've taken the liberty of fixing all of the floating sprites (this killed me inside) and added a couple more scripts to improve overall quality. Enjoy!

PKat01

Soulful Poet
I'm having a little trouble with downloading, but the game sounds really great and it looks amazing in the screenshots.

Edit: I managed to get it downloaded and I've really enjoyed it so far.

Last edited:

J.Dreamer

Dreamer Juan
Wow. How didn't I find this game sooner? First start of the game gets interesting and I like how the story goes. I wanna finish it with collecting as many clues as possible.

ezlaturbo

Rookie
Version 1.7 is out! - this will be the last update that affects any gameplay elements as the game has now been all ironed out and I believe that all bugs have now been squashed (any future updates will just be cosmetic). This update also adds another secret boss fight after you have completed the game!
how do you get more pokeballs before fighting argon?

ezlaturbo

Rookie
Cool, thanks. The game is great and is the best Jam game I have played yet. Argon is a bit too overleveled if you didn't catch Rotom. I would appreciate either raising the leveling rate of the wild pokemon, or lowering the level spike.

Michael

That One Guy
Cool, thanks. The game is great and is the best Jam game I have played yet. Argon is a bit too overleveled if you didn't catch Rotom. I would appreciate either raising the leveling rate of the wild pokemon, or lowering the level spike.
If you're referring to Argon in the lab, he's only higher leveled as theres a good amount of battles in the next area. Also you might not know but the overworld encounters give 3x the experience of normal battles. Cheers!

Kyouma

Novice
Very good job, man.

Is there a solution for the Farfetched house at Bermada Outskirts?

Kyouma

Novice
Thanks for the info! I only got there because I went back to the forest, lol (I thought the Farfetched fled when it flew away).

Back