• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Castaway

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
QOIUQUE.gif
Join our discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/DQjRyJN

The Team:
@Michael
@Ekat

Welcome to Pokémon Castaway! The player is the (not-so) fortunate winner of a trip to Alola. On the flight there, however, the plane is struck down. Landing on the mysterious Bermada Island, the player is tasked with exploring their environment while searching for fellow survivors and a way off of the island. As the player traverses further inland, it becomes evident that the island is anything but deserted. Will the player find a way off the island? And, more importantly, will they get to go on an Alolan vacation?

Features:
  • Pokémon from across all seven generations
  • Extra secrets and minibosses to unlock
  • Roughly four to six hours of gameplay
  • Plenty of puzzles and challenges throughout
  • HM moves are usable on the field by the player themselves
  • Healing and storage access from Campfires due to lack of infrastructure
  • Not Pokemon Battle Royale
  • Creative and witty dialogue across different npcs
  • and so much more!
Game Screenshots:
n8xeFwx.gif
4ab59Vg.gif
Dbp0JAM.gif
3F8EiXY.gif
7A8OOXR.gif
IrPqRKV.gif
Game Download:
Notes:
This game is the product of just under a month’s worth of frantic DMing each other. I initially started the project solo and Ekat joined later on. It was kind of amazing how similarly we both think dev-wise. Then again, I suppose there’s nothing like scrambling to meet a deadline to make two people bond. (Think of it like signing a temporary truce with your siblings, to hide the lamp you broke and junk food you ate while your parents were out for the evening.) Creating this game together was a hectic blast, and we hope you have just as much fun playing our submission!

Resource Pack:

https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/228/

Credits:
Scripts Used:
Terrain Sounds
by game_guy

Overworld Shadows & Map Exporter
by Marin

Radial Menu
by Yankas

Trainer Detection
by Shiney570

Name Windows
by Mr. Gela

Signpost Locations
by Tustin2121

Elite Battle System
by Luka S.J.
PinkCatDragon
BadSamaritan
Tebited15
redblueyellow
Eli
Pokecheck.org
lilatraube
AceRidley406
Telemetius

Scripting Utilities
by Luka S.J.

Graphics Used:

Tilesets:
WesleyFG
Zein
germy21
Macuarrorro
Ramiro Maldini
Otonashi
iamherecozidraw
syansyan
Sires J Black
Cali & Alistair
Fl.
Dawn Bronze

Battler Sprites:
Smogon XY Sprite Project
Smogon SM Sprite Project

Icons:
ORAS Icon Pack - Pikachumazzinga

Battlebacks:
Pokemon Golden Silver Battlebacks - Midnitez-REMIX

Animations:
Exclamation/Question Bubble Animations - Previous
Lightning Animations - Mikker, BobDSmith, Sora Havok, Unas, TiarnyTurnabout

Misc:
Parachute Base & Fire/Smoke Autotiles - Nitro
BW Trainer Sprites - Barubary
Dark SKY Graphic - Bacon
Pokemon Summary Screen UI - Aki
Tree Fog - Aki and Dawn Bronze

Audio:

Music:
"Super Smash Brothers WiiU" - Dark Pits Theme
"Final Fantasy 7" - Costa Del Sol, Birth of A God, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 8" - Jailed, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 10" - Battle theme, Servants of the Mountain, Via Purifico, Macalania Woods, Jecht Theme, Besaid Island
"Final Fantasy 13" - The Yaachas Massif
"Final Fantasy 13-2" - Paradigm Shift, Fanfare
"Final Fantasy 15" - Invidia
"World of Final Fantasy" - Hunters Chance
"Mobius Final Fantasy" - Warrior of Light
Dracula9AntiChapel - Final Fantasy 5 Arranged Soundtrack- Walking the Snowy Mountains, The Cursed Earths
Pontus Hultgren - FFV Main Theme, Fate in Haze
Oryhpes - Great Forest of Moore, Gogos theme
sschafi1 - BlackJack, Setzers Theme, Cyans theme
JSF Music - Amarants Theme
Malcolm Robinson Music - Schalas Theme

Sound Effects:
Beach and Wave Sound Effects - FX Sounds
Jungle Sound Effects - iWav
Desert Sound Effects - Classical and Relax
RSE Sound Effects - iteachvader
Nokia Ring SE - thecomputerdude24
SMB2 Blast Off SE - J-Sinn

Other:

Gen 6 Project:
Project Organization:
WorldSlayer

Sprite converter:
dragonnite

Item Icons/various sprite work:
Serbii
TheDeKay
Radical Raptr

PBS file editing:
karstictrainer
WorldSlayer
TheDeKay
viperk1
SunakazeKun
Radical Raptr
RPD490
Takyon!
Pokegod7020

Scripting:
mej71
~JV~
TheDeKay
Maruno
XmarkXalanX
Ratty524
joeyhugg
Nickalooose
Lucidious89
AmethystRain
AlexTCGPro
Destiny
baaabuuu
trueegee
woobowiz
Saving Raven
DL Kurosh
p.claydon
dragonnite

Research:
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
snooper117

Beta Testers
/u/Dylanrockin2122
/u/GeraldJr77
/u/Worldslayer608
/u/ZODeKay
/u/Johnnyrelic
/u/Deouen
/u/zeak6464
/u/RadicalRaptr
/u/L-rM
/u/Iasper
/u/Spyname149
/u/Pegaswift
/u/KillerMapper
/u/bbwong91900
/u/Fuck_I_Fuck
/u/JackFlynt

Gen 7 Project:
Zeak6464
Tapu Fini
SpartaLazor
leparagon
BlackOutG5
Rune
Marin
Rigbycwts
Rot8er_ConeX
James Davy
Luka S.J.
Buttjuice

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak​

Last edited:

Kyouma

Novice
I beat the guy in the house (was underleveled), but now I have a new problem. I went to the basement in the lab and now my Rotom can't change it's type back to Electric/Ghost. >_>

Kyouma

Novice
No big deal since I copy the game folder in case I mess up something. And kudos for adding Farfetched's evolution from the Gold/Silver beta.

Kyouma

Novice
Here's a tip for those who started with Deerling: Train the Magicarp you get in the plane wreck to Gyrados. Since Deerling is weak to Fighting and Fire types, Gyrados can cover both weaknesses, and it learns the powerful Trash move (the confusion can be cured with the Lum Berries you find). And the Rotom you get at the lab's basement can cover Gyrados Electric weakness (I always try to play games competitively).

Kyouma

Novice
I'm now at the swamp. The part where Lotad carries you over the water is so relaxing. That alone is a 10/10 already.

Kyouma

Novice
Will the different responses I can give to the prison's scientists affect the further or are they just for fun?
(I deleted my Gible's Dragon Claw (better Sand Tomb) for Dragon Rush even though the latter is the last move it learns. >_>)

Last edited:

Michael

That One Guy
Will the different responses I can give to the prison's scientists affect the further or are they just for fun?
(I deleted my Gible's Dragon Claw (better Sand Tomb) for Dragon Rush even though the latter is the last move it learns. >_>)
Nah they're just for fun - Also mind putting this in a spoiler to not spoil the game?

Last edited:

bportas

Rookie
Really enjoying this game so far, a hugely unique and interesting take on the tried and tested formula. There's plenty to find within secret areas, which is a mechanic I love within any game - rewards for being a diligent explorer! One question however - are there any differences in evolution level/method?

In my case, I caught a Fletchinder in the forest really early on, around level 18. It's now level 41 and has never tried to evolve, despite being 6 levels past when it would usually become a Talonflame. I have a couple of level 35ish 'hanger ons' that really rely on evolving to become key members of the team - Scorupi and Goomy - and if they were also to fail to evolve, I would have wasted time training them up to level 40.

Obviously this is a short game, so training for the long term is a bit pointless, but it would be nice to know if I'm wasting my time!

Thanks again!

Michael

That One Guy
Really enjoying this game so far, a hugely unique and interesting take on the tried and tested formula. There's plenty to find within secret areas, which is a mechanic I love within any game - rewards for being a diligent explorer! One question however - are there any differences in evolution level/method?

In my case, I caught a Fletchinder in the forest really early on, around level 18. It's now level 41 and has never tried to evolve, despite being 6 levels past when it would usually become a Talonflame. I have a couple of level 35ish 'hanger ons' that really rely on evolving to become key members of the team - Scorupi and Goomy - and if they were also to fail to evolve, I would have wasted time training them up to level 40.

Obviously this is a short game, so training for the long term is a bit pointless, but it would be nice to know if I'm wasting my time!

Thanks again!
Hmm odd, although I don't remember updating the evolution methods so I don't know why it would be doing that.

[Edit] Yeah, turns out that it was just a problem with the PBS ~ I guess wherever I originally inputted it from didn't have the evo method defined for some reason. I've updated the game now but to save you the download, here's the PBS file. Nice catch!

Last edited:

moz44

Rookie
Hmm odd, although I don't remember updating the evolution methods so I don't know why it would be doing that.

[Edit] Yeah, turns out that it was just a problem with the PBS ~ I guess wherever I originally inputted it from didn't have the evo method defined for some reason. I've updated the game now but to save you the download, here's the PBS file. Nice catch!
I am still having this problem

moz44

Rookie
ks73Gvy.png

I checked the PBS with the latest version of Castaway and the evolution method is there, so I don't know why that would be the case. Are you playing an older version of the game?
I already completed the game so its fine, but I downloaded it yesterday so whichever one was on the forum is what I downloaded.

I already completed the game so its fine, but I downloaded it yesterday so whichever one was on the forum is what I downloaded.

cIVUFja.gif

That's strange, because I just debugged in a Fletchinder with a new copy of the game and it works just fine evolving. I asked Michael and he hasn't made a new upload of the game, either. Which I know for a fact is true because he's been driving since yesterday on vacation.

moz44

Rookie
cIVUFja.gif

That's strange, because I just debugged in a Fletchinder with a new copy of the game and it works just fine evolving. I asked Michael and he hasn't made a new upload of the game, either. Which I know for a fact is true because he's been driving since yesterday on vacation.
Im really not sure then but I deleted my game file after I beat the game. Thanks for looking into it none the less!

Dohmalore

Rookie
i just beat it!! ty for making it & letting us play! I like the pokemon variety a lot, like there are a lot of pokemon around but they all feel really appropriate for their setting & i got to use a team w/ a lot of pokemon i'd never used before!!

Tacking on to the last few people tho, my fletchinder also never evolved (found it in the PBS data & the evolution method line is in there & everything??)

Back