• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1]

Resource Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] v1.0.7

Lucidious89

Champion
Lucidious89 submitted a new resource:

Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] - Upgrade your game with animated Pokemon sprites and other animation flourishes.

Animated Pokemon System for v21.1
Upgrades your game with animated Pokemon sprites for Gens 1-9 and other animation flourishes.
o2PABFO.gif
42r9QYY.gif

Overview
This plugin builds upon the Deluxe Battle Kit to implement fully animated Pokemon sprites for all species up to Gen 9 DLC. This isn't merely a sprite pack however, as it...

Read more about this resource...

AFatFlyingWhale

Rookie
Getting a NoMethodError after dropping this and the updated plugins into my project. Only errors when opening the Pokedex.
Possible I've messed something up on my end with my complete lack of experience, but figured I might as well ask.

Error:
Expand Collapse Copy
[Pokémon Essentials version 21.1]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `front_sprite_scale' for nil:NilClass

Backtrace:
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:26:in `initialize'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [004] Game Data.rb:228:in `new'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [004] Game Data.rb:228:in `front_sprite_bitmap'
Species_files:89:in `sprite_bitmap'
Pokemon_Sprites:66:in `setSpeciesBitmap'
UI_Pokedex_Main:768:in `setIconBitmap'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [003] Pokemon UI.rb:65:in `setIconBitmap'
UI_Pokedex_Main:448:in `pbRefresh'
UI_Pokedex_Main:414:in `pbRefreshDexList'
UI_Pokedex_Main:295:in `pbStartScene'

rafahbit

Trainer
I added the plugin and didn’t encounter any problems. I suggest you restore from a backup, if you have one, and reinstall the plugin. I also updated all DBK plugins to the latest version, and even with my own modification, it’s working fine.

Relax, sometimes this happens. Occasionally, incompatibilities with other plugins that don’t seem related can cause these issues. The plugin documentation mentions that there is a conflict with the Generation 8 Pack Scripts plugin (version 1.0), so check if you have it.
Getting a NoMethodError after dropping this and the updated plugins into my project. Only errors when opening the Pokedex.
Possible I've messed something up on my end with my complete lack of experience, but figured I might as well ask.

Error:
Expand Collapse Copy
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Message: undefined method `front_sprite_scale' for nil:NilClass

Backtrace:
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [008] Deluxe Bitmap.rb:26:in `initialize'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [004] Game Data.rb:228:in `new'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [004] Game Data.rb:228:in `front_sprite_bitmap'
Species_files:89:in `sprite_bitmap'
Pokemon_Sprites:66:in `setSpeciesBitmap'
UI_Pokedex_Main:768:in `setIconBitmap'
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [003] Pokemon UI.rb:65:in `setIconBitmap'
UI_Pokedex_Main:448:in `pbRefresh'
UI_Pokedex_Main:414:in `pbRefreshDexList'
UI_Pokedex_Main:295:in `pbStartScene'

komeiji514

Elite Trainer
When viewing the info this happens. Edit: Another plugin causes this.
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
[2024-07-27 08:08:17 +0800]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Message: undefined method `update_pokemon_sprite' for #<AnimatedBitmap>

Backtrace:
[[DBK] Animated Pokémon System] [005] Pokemon Sprites.rb:47:in `update'
002_MessageConfig.rb:497:in `block in pbUpdateSpriteHash'
002_MessageConfig.rb:493:in `each'
002_MessageConfig.rb:493:in `pbUpdateSpriteHash'
004_UI_Pokedex_Entry.rb:136:in `pbUpdate'
[More Pokedex Page : Size Comparison] [00] Pokedex Size Comparison Core.rb:478:in `pbUpdate'
[Modular UI Scenes] [002] Pokedex Rewrites.rb:113:in `block in pbScene'
[Modular UI Scenes] [002] Pokedex Rewrites.rb:110:in `loop'
[Modular UI Scenes] [002] Pokedex Rewrites.rb:110:in `pbScene'
004_UI_Pokedex_Entry.rb:584:in `pbStartScreen'

Last edited:

Lucidious89

Champion
Lucidious89 updated Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] with a new update entry:

v1.0.1 Update

• Fixed an error that would cause a crash when attempting to display a Pokedex with empty slots.
  • Split the plugin into two separate downloads - one for the plugin itself, and another just for the Pokemon sprites. This should hopefully make updating the plugin easier for people in the future, as you won't need to redownload all 9,000+ sprites each time an update is released that just fixes a few lines of code.

Read the rest of this update entry...

ardicoozer

Cooltrainer
I have get a error after installed this plugins.
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
=================

[2024-07-27 12:52:27 +0700]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: RuntimeError
File PBS/pokemon_forms.txt, section VENUSAUR,1, key SectionName

Backtrace:
Compiler:454:in `checkEnumField'
[v21.1 Hotfixes] Compiler bug fixes.rb:53:in `cast_csv_value'
Compiler:724:in `block (2 levels) in get_csv_record'
Compiler:710:in `each'
Compiler:710:in `block in get_csv_record'
Compiler:708:in `loop'
Compiler:708:in `get_csv_record'
Compiler_CompilePBS:404:in `block (4 levels) in compile_pokemon_forms'
Compiler_CompilePBS:401:in `each_key'
Compiler_CompilePBS:401:in `block (3 levels) in compile_pokemon_forms'

Lucidious89

Champion
I have get a error after installed this plugins.
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
=================

[2024-07-27 12:52:27 +0700]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: RuntimeError
File PBS/pokemon_forms.txt, section VENUSAUR,1, key SectionName

Backtrace:
Compiler:454:in `checkEnumField'
[v21.1 Hotfixes] Compiler bug fixes.rb:53:in `cast_csv_value'
Compiler:724:in `block (2 levels) in get_csv_record'
Compiler:710:in `each'
Compiler:710:in `block in get_csv_record'
Compiler:708:in `loop'
Compiler:708:in `get_csv_record'
Compiler_CompilePBS:404:in `block (4 levels) in compile_pokemon_forms'
Compiler_CompilePBS:401:in `each_key'
Compiler_CompilePBS:401:in `block (3 levels) in compile_pokemon_forms'
Not a plugin error. You just dont have Venusaur defined in your game for some reason.

ardicoozer

Cooltrainer
You're right,
I have check it on Pokemon_forms all normal
but in Pokemon.txt all mon's data gone..
Now it's works like a charm

komeiji514

Elite Trainer
Sprites of G-max Garbodor, Tornadus Therian and White Kyurem become unclear when in the game. Idk why.
Edit: Seems I have found the reason. When there are too many frames this happens.

Last edited:

Lucidious89

Champion
Lucidious89 updated Animated Pokemon System [DBK Add-On] [v21.1] with a new update entry:

v1.0.2 Update

• Removed the sprite bobbing for the player's Pokemon during command selection in battle, as this doesn't look as natural for animated sprites.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause sprites to animate at different speeds depending on the machine the game is running on. Sprites should now animate at universally consistent rates regardless of your computer/monitor specs.

Read the rest of this update entry...

dpertierra

Novice
Hi I noticed in the Pokedex Entry the sprites are now animated, I had the same issue in the one I ported and couldn't figure out why, maybe you can.

Lucidious89

Champion
Hi I noticed in the Pokedex Entry the sprites are now animated, I had the same issue in the one I ported and couldn't figure out why, maybe you can.
Is there a reason why sprites animated in the Pokedex is an issue? I would think that that's the desired outcome.

Skyflyer

Seeking for knowledge
Is there a reason why sprites animated in the Pokedex is an issue? I would think that that's the desired outcome.

I agree that it looks better if they are animated in the dex, mainly when you are checking forms of a Pokémon. The ideal scenario would be to create a setting in which you can decide if you want them to be animated or not.

Also I've seen that the shadow of your Pokémon is in the opposite direction than the rival's one. Most of the time you would not see it, but in my case for example the UI is transparent and you can see the full sprite of the Pokémon, and is a bit weird to see the shadow upside down. I guess is not that hard to mirror the shadow's sprite from the code, I could try it myself but maybe you want to update the script with it.

Lucidious89

Champion
I agree that it looks better if they are animated in the dex, mainly when you are checking forms of a Pokémon. The ideal scenario would be to create a setting in which you can decide if you want them to be animated or not.

Also I've seen that the shadow of your Pokémon is in the opposite direction than the rival's one. Most of the time you would not see it, but in my case for example the UI is transparent and you can see the full sprite of the Pokémon, and is a bit weird to see the shadow upside down. I guess is not that hard to mirror the shadow's sprite from the code, I could try it myself but maybe you want to update the script with it.
If you want to deanimate the sprites in the Pokedex, I feel like that's something that you can just modify yourself in the code. I feel like 99% of people are going to want the dex sprites animated, so I dont see much reason to implement a setting for it.

And the shadows are done this way on the player's side on purpose. It would look ugly having the sprites cast in front of the Pokemon for most UI setups. So the shadows on both sides are cast behind the Pokemon. Maybe this doesn't necessarily make sense, since the light source is kinda implied to be coming from the direction of the player, but eh. A lot of things about the shadows don't make sense, even on the opponent's side. It's "good enough", imo.

dpertierra

Novice
Sorry it was a typo, it was not animated, they are animated in the dex list but not in each individual entry.

Lucidious89

Champion
Sorry it was a typo, it was not animated, they are animated in the dex list but not in each individual entry.
They definitely are animated in both. You must have some custom edits to the dex.

Skyflyer

Seeking for knowledge
If you want to deanimate the sprites in the Pokedex, I feel like that's something that you can just modify yourself in the code. I feel like 99% of people are going to want the dex sprites animated, so I dont see much reason to implement a setting for it.

And the shadows are done this way on the player's side on purpose. It would look ugly having the sprites cast in front of the Pokemon for most UI setups. So the shadows on both sides are cast behind the Pokemon. Maybe this doesn't necessarily make sense, since the light source is kinda implied to be coming from the direction of the player, but eh. A lot of things about the shadows don't make sense, even on the opponent's side. It's "good enough", imo.

I think you didn't understand me regarding the pokédex. I tried the plugin and the sprites are animated when checkin the pokémon list, but they are static when you check their data or their forms, I thought this was intended. That's what looks strange for us, as we think that they may look better if they are also animated there. I thought you were meaning to dpertierra that you prefer them to be static in the dex and that's why I suggested to create a setting to select if they are animated or not, as we prefer them to be moving inside the dex, also when checking their forms. Is this supposed to work in this way, having the sprites static inside the data page?

About the player's shadow no problem, I persoanlly prefer them in the opposite direction but that's fine, I understand your point. I will modify it for myself.

Despite all of this, thanks for such an amazing sprite. It really improves the experience of the game.

Lucidious89

Champion
I think you didn't understand me regarding the pokédex. I tried the plugin and the sprites are animated when checkin the pokémon list, but they are static when you check their data or their forms, I thought this was intended. That's what looks strange for us, as we think that they may look better if they are also animated there. I thought you were meaning to dpertierra that you prefer them to be static in the dex and that's why I suggested to create a setting to select if they are animated or not, as we prefer them to be moving inside the dex, also when checking their forms. Is this supposed to work in this way, having the sprites static inside the data page?

About the player's shadow no problem, I persoanlly prefer them in the opposite direction but that's fine, I understand your point. I will modify it for myself.

Despite all of this, thanks for such an amazing sprite. It really improves the experience of the game.
Last time I checked, the sprites are animated everywhere that a Pokemon sprite would be loaded. The only way they would not be animated is if they were specifically coded to not animate, which to my knowledge I have not implemented anywhere. So there must be something going on with the Pokedex in your game.

And yeah, I just think the shadows look really intrusive taking up space in front of the player's Pokemon. It makes the sceen look cluttered, especially in an already-cluttered set up when you have 2+ Pokemon on your side.

GrayiPunk

Rookie
after i installed this plugin, my game doesn't compile anymore, it always stops at pokemon_base_gen_9.txt and if i delete or take this file out of the folder, the compiler stops at pokemon.txt, can someone help me?

Back