• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Gone Fission

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
GoneFissionTitle2.gif
DOWNLOAD
RESOURCE PACK

Still adjusting to life after her wife’s disappearance some months ago, a small-town fisherwoman finds a new spark of excitement when she stumbles across a strange stone capable of splitting Pokémon into two new forms. Suddenly, she’s meeting up with gym leaders for fun new battles, adventuring to parts unknown to find rare Pokémon, and even making amends with her wife’s old coworkers as they team up to study the stone’s effects. But as they continue to make exciting breakthroughs, she begins to realize the local Pokémon lab knew more about fission’s origins than they let on, and a dark secret hitting close to home…

Made using Pokémon Essentials and RPG Maker XP.

To be perfectly honest, I did not manage my time as wisely as I should have this jam, which sucks, because I had a really great team backing me up this time around!
As such, this is practically just a proof of concept - there's a few cutscenes, a few bosses to try your hand at, and some fun maps to explore, but not a lot of game to progress through.
Think of it like the Sun/Moon demo, hopefully?

If this is your first time playing a Pokémon fangame, please see How to play a Pokémon Fangame.
(You don't need the Resource Pack, that's for devs using the assets in other projects)
There's a guide to playing on JoiPlay here, but none of the developers have experience with JoiPlay, so we can't help with any bugs, sorry!

Fishin.gif
splitoptimize.gif

bag.gif
1691733533433.png

Fission is a mechanic that can be used by any fully-evolved dual-type Pokémon. When a Pokémon splits, it becomes two new forms, one for each of its types. The split Pokémon's side size increases, but not the opponents, so a 1v1 battle may become a 2v1.
  • The current HP of the Pokémon is half of the Pokémon’s HP when it was split
  • Neither Pokémon can be switched out. If one faints, the side shrinks back to 1 again. (The remaining half still keeps its form)
  • Using fission takes up the trainer’s turn. When used on a wild Pokémon, it cancels their next move as well.
  • Typically, each half takes two moves from the original form’s moveset, and learns two new moves, keeping all other properties the same - abilities, base stats, etc. There are some exceptions, usually to adapt for a specific idea, or if their original form had an ability to change forms.
  • A Pokémon using fission still only gets 1x XP. (Not once for each half)

Fissions that appear in the demo:
  • Gyarados -
    • Flying-type form gets Turbulence and Clear Rain
    • Water-type form get Jaw Thrash and Cold Shower
  • Aegislash -
    • Steel-type form gets Wide Guard, Helping Hand, and Acupressure
    • Ghost-type form does not get different moves.
  • Parasect -
    • Bug-type form gets Bug Bite and Megahorn
    • Grass-type form gets Leech Seed and Mega Drain

Team
  • TechSkylander1518 - Lead dev
  • Cinnature/TheGirlWhoSitsNextToYouInChurch - Graphics
  • Atomic Reactor - Mapping (the good maps, ie Pinewood Forest and Beachwood Cove)

Pokémon Essentials was created by:
  • Poccil (Peter O.)
  • Maruno
  • Inspired by work by Flameguru
With contributions from:
  • Boushy
  • Brother1440
  • FL.
  • Genzai Kawakami
  • Golisopod User
  • help-14
  • IceGod64
  • Jacob O. Wobbrock
  • KitsuneKouta
  • Lisa Anthony
  • Luka S.J.
  • Marin
  • MiDas Mike
  • Near Fantastica
  • PinkMan
  • Popper
  • Rataime
  • Savordez
  • SoundSpawn
  • the__end
  • Venom12
  • Wachunga

and everyone else who helped out

mkxp-z by Roza, based on mkxp by Ancurio et al.

RPG Maker XP by Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by
  • The Pokémon Company
  • Nintendo
  • Affiliated with Game Freak
This is a non-profit fan-made game. No copyright infringements intended. Please support the official games!

Resources used:
Generation 8 Pack:
  • Battler Sprites:
    • Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
    • Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
  • Overworld Sprites
    • Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
    • Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
    • Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo
  • Icon Sprites
    • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia, harveydentmd
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
    • Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon
    • Shiny Icon Sprites - StarrWolf, Pokemon Shattered Light Team
  • Cry Credits:
    • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
  • Script Credits:
    • Golisopod User, Luka S.J.
  • Compilation of Resources:
    • Golisopod User, UberDunsparce
The Fission mechanic changes the dimensions of a battle! A 1v1 can become a 1v2, which can become a 2v2!

(There was also supposed to be character dimensions, but the story did not progress enough to show them...)

Last edited:
Quick bugfix update! Thanks to Kenny for catching most of these!
  • Adjusted BGM of Beachwood Cliffs to match volume of other tracks
  • Fixed gym leader's sprite not appearing (not a content addition, it was just misnamed)
  • Fixed fission not being triggered in Parasect fight
  • Added missing message bg for cave battle (this one was a new image addition, willing to remove if needed)
  • Fixed Route 1 door softlock
  • Fixed an error with Jaw Thrash
  • Fixed debug events mysteriously appearing after blacking out (still baffled by this one but ok)
  • Fixed text options not changing back after intro cutscene
(Link is still the same!)

Last edited:
Quick update after WolfTaiko's stream! Also it turns out Mega does not update files with the same link so it turns out the initial changelog didn't go through 🙃
  • Strange Stone is put at bottom of bag instead of above rod
  • Can't flee from wild boss battles
  • Tile added to make cave exit nicer
  • Healed after defeating first boss
  • Tile error fixed on Route 1
  • Title screen changed

Just finished playing the game, some thoughts
It was really short but it was a really nice experience, first of all, I love all the flavour text. The gag about the woman in a bikini advertising sparkling water and then the fridge being full of sparkling water was hilarious. It wasn't just that but a lot of things were full of flavour, all the forum threads about wiki editing too.

But about the main meat of the game, the fission mechanic. First of all, I think it's such a cool idea, obviously monster fusion is all the hype at the moment, infinite fusion and even indie games like Cassette Beasts playing with it. But monster FISSION! That's a whole new bag of worms to go to town on. Sadly the game wasn't really long enough to get a feel of all the ways it could make battles feel more interesting, but the designs were impeccable and hilarious.

I found the starting cutscene to go a bit too fast, HOWEVER that might be because 1. I was trying to read it outloud which is going to be slower than just reading it normally, and 2. I was playing at 120 fps which apparently can speed things up a bit. But I will say, that was the first time I've really seen a pokemon essentials game do a proper cutscene, like an actual cutscene where it plays out infront of you without you having to click enter every 2 seconds so I thought that was cool.

I don't know if you plan to expand on this game one day, but personally I really want to see the idea of the fission mechanic expanded on, whether you pick it up and try to incorporate it into a new game, or if someone else gives the idea their own take. Loved playing this game, really cool stuff.

Back