• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon AlteRed Version

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version

!?
Pebbler Platoon

presents....

fh5HroW.gif

Pokémon - AlteRed Version
Pokémon AlteRed is a ROM hack of Pokémon FireRed that provides a completely unique type swap on nearly every Pokémon in the Gen 3 dex.

🔥 Features 🔥

A Revamped Kanto - New areas
Modern Gen mechanics - Plenty of new moves
QOL Mechanics -
Better level curve

and...
411 Alter Pokémon!?

6tIWJ1N.png

...But wait, there's more!???

Pokémon AlteRed Version... With A Gun
Pokémon AlteRed With a Gun version was our April Fool's '23 release, serving as a hard mode for AlteRed with a few exclusive Pokémon as a little bonus.
We're continuing to update Gun as well, just as an alternative way to play the game!

🔥🔥🔥

Download AlteRed
Download AlteRed with a Gun

AlteRed is distributed in .IPS patch form, which you must patch onto a clean FireRed 1.0 ROM (which we can't provide for obvious reasons.)
I suggest using Lunar IPS, which is very straightforward to use, but if you need help, here is a good video on how to use it.

🔥🔥🔥

consider Joining our Discord too! :)

We also have complete documentation on the game that can be found here.

🔥🔥🔥

Antikanto Pokédex
qBx9z9u.png

🔥🔥🔥

CREDITS
This game was made by PEBBLER PLATOON
Chairry - Project Lead; Mapper, Spriter, Balancing, Programmer, Promotion, Documentation, Testing
Brolunite - Original Remake Project Lead; Spriter, Documentation
Ayu - Spriter
Beespoon - Concept Artist
Bepis - Spriter
Big Snort - Spriter, Concept Artist
Cesare_CBass - Spriter, Testing
Dillsacke' - Spriter
EeVeeEe - Spriter, Concept Artist
FosterZ - Spriter
JPRM4 - Spriter, Concept Artist
Lazer Chicken - Concept Artist
Lichen - Spriter, Concept Artist, Promotion, Documentation, Testing
Livra - Spriter, Concept Artist
Ludi - Testing, Documentation
marrowbitezz - Spriter, Concept Artist, Testing
Ogwon - Spriter, Concept Artist, Testing
Pablo - Concept Artist
Sadfish - Programmer, Balancing, Documentation, Testing
SharkGuy - Spriter, Concept Artist
Splinxsh - Programmer
Ty Sprites - Spriter
Yondi/FBI - Concept Artist, Spriter

In addition, A small portion of this hack's graphics use resources from Chaos Rush's DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource over on Pokecommunity.

🔥🔥🔥

KNOWN BUGS
  • Entering a double battle with only 1 pokemon causes some very weird effects that ultimately softlocks the game.

Last edited:

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
So uh IDK if it's because I'm playing it on 3DS VC but the textboxes in the main menu have glitchy textures. I'd get a picture but Rosalina doesn't work in the GBA layer.
EDIT: Turns out the Pokedex UI is borked too.

Last edited:

MortificationPersonified

Rookie
Just started playing, and so far I'm loving it! Had a couple of minor issues though with all (like literally 100%) mons being shiny and apparently traded? They stop obeying after Lv. 10 which is kinda an issue. Not sure if it's an issue with my emulator or the way I patched it or what.

lichen

i make sprites , i think
So uh IDK if it's because I'm playing it on 3DS VC but the textboxes in the main menu have glitchy textures. I'd get a picture but Rosalina doesn't work in the GBA layer.
EDIT: Turns out the Pokedex UI is borked too.
This has been a known issue for years and I'm happy to report that for the next update it will finally be fixed! Thanks to shuckle_lord_mixone 🙌
Just started playing, and so far I'm loving it! Had a couple of minor issues though with all (like literally 100%) mons being shiny and apparently traded? They stop obeying after Lv. 10 which is kinda an issue. Not sure if it's an issue with my emulator or the way I patched it or what.
You may be using the wrong base rom. AlteRed is built from Fire Red Squirrels 1.0 so using other roms has been known to cause strange issues like this unfortunately.

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
This has been a known issue for years and I'm happy to report that for the next update it will finally be fixed! Thanks to shuckle_lord_mixone 🙌
Yo, awesome! Thanks, mixone!
Some other notes, both positive and negative. I hope they make sense because I just woke up:
Some of the Dex entries, like Pikoal and Feebulb, seem to use beta names for them, like Dichu and Rootas.
Glitchy tiles in Daisy's house, inaccessible house in Viridian (where the Mart was) because the bottom of the door uses the bottom tile of the flowerboxes
Events like Teala in the Substitute room and the Running Shoes aide remaining feel a bit odd, but I'm assuming that removing them is beyond the limits of a GBA hack?
I really love the Fakemon designs, they're all so charming.
Ledybark's shiny palette is stellar. Yes, I have a shiny Ledybark. Honestly, regardless of what issues it causes, the jacked shiny rate adds to my next point...
I love the map redesigns; they feel almost liminal, like a map you'd see in a dream about playing FRLG. Kanto is something of an unpolished, liminal, janky experience, and quite frankly even the "negative" notes/bug notes add to the experience. So does the high shiny rate--- it's not like you're cheating, because it's not guaranteed, but it's more like you've stepped into another world where they're just slightly uncommon instead of insanely rare. But yeah, it's a really weird experience, playing this game, in a good way. Weird and wacky and feels like playing Kanto blind when I step into a new or remixed area.

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
As a matter of curiosity, because I know Essentials fangames can be weird about it, and I'm not sure about ROMhacks, will I be able to use the same save file in the new version of AlteRed, or will I need to start over? Updating the project in NSUI is trivial, of course, just loading the new ROM in, so that shouldn't be an issue.
EDIT: OH, ALSO, I forgot to mention, I'm just playing the normal version, NOT Gun. IDK if it's relevant to the bug reports, but I realized I should probably mention it.
EDIT 2: So, ah, how long is the revival scientist in Pewter supposed to take? I went outside, he still says he needs time. I went to Rt. 3 to catch a Poppip while I was in the area, come back, he still needs time. Goodness me, I hope the NPC still doesn't look for you to exit to the very specific room in the Cinnabar Lab...

Last edited:

lichen

i make sprites , i think
As a matter of curiosity, because I know Essentials fangames can be weird about it, and I'm not sure about ROMhacks, will I be able to use the same save file in the new version of AlteRed, or will I need to start over? Updating the project in NSUI is trivial, of course, just loading the new ROM in, so that shouldn't be an issue.
EDIT: OH, ALSO, I forgot to mention, I'm just playing the normal version, NOT Gun. IDK if it's relevant to the bug reports, but I realized I should probably mention it.
EDIT 2: So, ah, how long is the revival scientist in Pewter supposed to take? I went outside, he still says he needs time. I went to Rt. 3 to catch a Poppip while I was in the area, come back, he still needs time. Goodness me, I hope the NPC still doesn't look for you to exit to the very specific room in the Cinnabar Lab...
For romhacks, you can use the same save file, but depending on what gets changed it may cause glitches. This usually is the worst with map changes though, which we are not doing. The worst that could happen for this is that your pokemon can have illegal movesets.
Don't know what the scientist deal is, will ask around. Sorry for the inconvencience

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
Haha, illegal movesets don't bother me. Good to know my save file will still work. As for the scientist, it's fine, stuff happens, figured I should ask. If it is tied to entering the specific hallway in the Cinnabar Lab (IDK how that event actually works, but it may be tied to entering X map instead of leaving Y map) I'll let you know. Right now I'm in Celadon so I'm a ways off yet from Cinnabar.

lichen

i make sprites , i think
Haha, illegal movesets don't bother me. Good to know my save file will still work. As for the scientist, it's fine, stuff happens, figured I should ask. If it is tied to entering the specific hallway in the Cinnabar Lab (IDK how that event actually works, but it may be tied to entering X map instead of leaving Y map) I'll let you know. Right now I'm in Celadon so I'm a ways off yet from Cinnabar.
Good news, the scientist is confirmed to be fixed next update!

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
That's great! It's gonna be a while yet before I even reach Cinnabar, because I was in the Fighting Dojo and turned my 3DS to put the charger in and accidentally hit the power button. 🥲 I hadn't saved since I started up before I fought Erika.

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
YESSSSSSSS I BEAT IT!!!
Fun game, props to the Platoon for making Kanto into an Actually Enjoyable Experience. Now I'm gonna mess around on Sevii, I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_E2253.JPG
    IMG_E2253.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2251.JPG
    IMG_2251.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 293

Boye

Rookie
Hey, just wondering if it were possible to get it on my 3ds or dsi? I’ve got them all hacked up and everything but I just want to know if there is like a .cia for it or something

It'sYa1UPBoy

#1 Kotora Stan 2023
Legally, I can't share my CIA. However, I will say you should use this program to make it once you have your patched ROM.

Hexcalliber

Cooltrainer
Is there a place i can read about what is change between the version? i tried teh wiki but dont have any result

Quegletthelp

Rookie

!?
Pebbler Platoon

presents....
View attachment 18506

Pokémon - AlteRed Version
Pokémon AlteRed is a ROM hack of Pokémon FireRed that provides a completely unique type swap on nearly every Pokémon in the Gen 3 dex.

🔥 Features 🔥

A Revamped Kanto - New areas
Modern Gen mechanics - Plenty of new moves
QOL Mechanics -
Better level curve

and...
411 Alter Pokémon!?

View attachment 18511

...But wait, there's more!???

Pokémon AlteRed Version... With A Gun
Pokémon AlteRed With a Gun version was our April Fool's '23 release, serving as a hard mode for AlteRed with a few exclusive Pokémon as a little bonus.
We're continuing to update Gun as well, just as an alternative way to play the game!

🔥🔥🔥

Download AlteRed
Download AlteRed with a Gun

AlteRed is distributed in .IPS patch form, which you must patch onto a clean FireRed 1.0 ROM (which we can't provide for obvious reasons.)
I suggest using Lunar IPS, which is very straightforward to use, but if you need help, here is a good video on how to use it.

🔥🔥🔥

consider Joining our Discord too! :)

We also have complete documentation on the game that can be found here.

🔥🔥🔥

Antikanto Pokédex

🔥🔥🔥

CREDITS
This game was made by PEBBLER PLATOON
Chairry - Project Lead; Mapper, Spriter, Balancing, Programmer, Promotion, Documentation, Testing
Brolunite - Original Remake Project Lead; Spriter, Documentation
Ayu - Spriter
Beespoon - Concept Artist
Bepis - Spriter
Big Snort - Spriter, Concept Artist
Cesare_CBass - Spriter, Testing
Dillsacke' - Spriter
EeVeeEe - Spriter, Concept Artist
FosterZ - Spriter
JPRM4 - Spriter, Concept Artist
Lazer Chicken - Concept Artist
Lichen - Spriter, Concept Artist, Promotion, Documentation, Testing
Livra - Spriter, Concept Artist
Ludi - Testing, Documentation
marrowbitezz - Spriter, Concept Artist, Testing
Ogwon - Spriter, Concept Artist, Testing
Pablo - Concept Artist
Sadfish - Programmer, Balancing, Documentation, Testing
SharkGuy - Spriter, Concept Artist
Splinxsh - Programmer
Ty Sprites - Spriter
Yondi/FBI - Concept Artist, Spriter

In addition, A small portion of this hack's graphics use resources from Chaos Rush's DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource over on Pokecommunity.

🔥🔥🔥

KNOWN BUGS
-Corrupted-looking pause menu/pokedex graphic (currently difficult to fix/low priority - does not interfere with gameplay much)
  • Entering a double battle with only 1 pokemon causes some very weird effects that ultimately softlocks the game.
  • Really high shiny rate (This also makes some NPCs' and trades Pokémon shiny automatically for some reason... Uh. It's a feature.)

How do you evolve queglett? He’s level 40 and hasn’t evolved yet and I’ve checked every stone. I also saw a level 24 of his evo.

lichen

i make sprites , i think
are the base stats different? cuz totodile early on and bagon are kinda OP
Yes, they are! Check the docs! (The Gun starters have pseudo-legendary stats.)
Is there a place i can read about what is change between the version? i tried teh wiki but dont have any result
Yes, there is! Check the docs!
(The docs is our wiki. There is no other wiki. If you've seen anything on a website called "fan dumb", your eyes have been decieving you. That place isn't real.)
How do you evolve queglett? He’s level 40 and hasn’t evolved yet and I’ve checked every stone. I also saw a level 24 of his evo.
Queglett evolves with a Gun Stone, which can be found at Cape Brink in the Sevii Islands.

Pig_catapult

Rookie
I seem to have gotten an Oops, All Shinies! copy. I have a full team and have not encountered a single non-shiny Pokemon. The graphics in my room and the text boxes in the start menu are all messed up, too. I have screenshots, but should I find a way to upload my .sav file, too? The base ROM version I downloaded claimed to be v1.0. Patching v1.1 crashed the ROM before reaching the start screen, so I don't think that's the issue.
Pokemon_AlteRed-1.png
Pokemon_AlteRed-3.png
Pokemon_AlteRed-4.png

EDIT: I believe had the wrong region of version 1.0. The (USA, Europe) version is the one that works. The Start menu textbox and the Pokedex are both very visually buggy.

Last edited:

Morganelefay

Novice
Having a lot of fun with the game, just the scientist bug is a bit of a pity but glad to see it'll be fixed! Just came across this little bug, didn't know if it was known or not, but my shiny Epidemoir has a rather peculiar icon.
Epid.png

Back