• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Best way to organise credits?

BakedBeanBagel

Rookie
Hi all,

Total newbie here. Just wondering, when compiling public assets for a new project (permission granted) - What's the best way you've found to keep a note of who made what and who to credit? At the moment I'm making a double of all assets saved as the name of the artist for reference in a separate folder. Is there a better way?

Obviously I'm just playing around at the moment so I'm downloading an creating a few bits before reducing everything down.

Any advice appreciated. (I'm talking third party not bookmarking - I've found organising super useful on here.)

I usually just keep a notepad file with all the credits on there, you could also use a word document as an alternative

+1 for writing everything in a notepad as it's added to the game. Using a format that let's you hyperlink the text can be really helpful if you need to ever go back and read some tips/troubleshooting on more complicated scripts.
I think writing credits is an underappreciated art...most people don't care to read them, so it's easy for some devs to have literally just a list of names and call that proper. Speaking as someone who's reviewed credits though, that's a red flag for thieves who think that having the anything+a mess will cover their tracks.

BakedBeanBagel

Rookie
+1 for writing everything in a notepad as it's added to the game. Using a format that let's you hyperlink the text can be really helpful if you need to ever go back and read some tips/troubleshooting on more complicated scripts.
I think writing credits is an underappreciated art...most people don't care to read them, so it's easy for some devs to have literally just a list of names and call that proper. Speaking as someone who's reviewed credits though, that's a red flag for thieves who think that having the anything+a mess will cover their tracks.
I usually just keep a notepad file with all the credits on there, you could also use a word document as an alternative
Thanks guys, I think I'll just add everything to my Grammarly doc I've been using to write story/dialogue. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something. I'm only messing around so I don't know if I'll ever publish anything but I'm keen to keep track just in case.

Reactions: Aki
Back