• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
DiegoWT's Starter Selection

Resource DiegoWT's Starter Selection 1.5.0

Desbrina

Trainer
Yes, and when that happens, you get an error telling you that.
View attachment 6648

As you can see from superdude's screenshot, his code's all on one line, he's already used extendtext.exe. (If it was on two lines, it would show so, like in the cap above)

EDIT: I'm still mistaken in my solution, actually- I misread the instructions, superdude, you should put in the dex number of your Pokemon, not the species symbol. (You can actually get as far as the picture of your starter with the species, but it throws an error when playing the cry, lol)

You can fix the cry error by replacing
pbSEPlay(sprintf("%03dCry",@pkmn_array[@select-1]))
with
GameData::Species.play_cry_from_species(@pkmn_array[@select-1])

Works then with both the Pokédex no and the species symbol

DiegoWT

Discord: diegowt
DiegoWT updated DiegoWT's Starter Selection (v19.1) with a new update entry:

Update v1.2

Fixed a bug where the starter's form would show up only on the starter's screen, but the player would not receive the correct starter form;
The script call was revised to properly work with the species ID, not the national dex;
Now when a starter is selected, it will properly play its cry (configurable if you don't want it);
A new configuration for allowing the plugin to show the starter's second type when selected is present in the settings.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Raven

Rookie
I tried out the new secondary typing option, and the gradient looks perfectly fine. However, when displaying the Pokemon's typing in the text, it only says the secondary typing rather than the first, or first+second. How would I change this to keep the gradient, but still display the first typing in text?

DiegoWT

I tried out the new secondary typing option, and the gradient looks perfectly fine. However, when displaying the Pokemon's typing in the text, it only says the secondary typing rather than the first, or first+second. How would I change this to keep the gradient, but still display the first typing in text?
Oof, so sorry, I completely forgot about the text when doing the 1.2v update. For now, do this quick fix. Later I'll work on a more elaborate fix that will support a new text option, where you may configure if you want the text to show the starter's first type or both of them.

Paste below the line 400 type = @type , and, in line 417, alter the @type to type
Here's an image if you need reference:
1635241655073.png

EDIT: I've decided to make the script's window text to only show the starters' two types if the two gradients option is enabled.

Last edited:

Raven

Rookie
Oof, so sorry, I completely forgot about the text when doing the 1.2v update. For now, do this quick fix. Later I'll work on a more elaborate fix that will support a new text option, where you may configure if you want the text to show the starter's first type or both of them.

Paste below the line 400 type = @type , and, in line 417, alter the @type to type
Here's an image if you need reference:
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

On another note, it'd be cool if there were a way to preset the starter's IVs or held item too, in case you ever wanted to implement that as well.

Last edited:

DiegoWT

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

On another note, it'd be cool if there were a way to preset the starter's IVs too, in case you ever wanted to implement that as well.
That's something I'm not looking forward to implementing into the script. You could take a look at this wiki's page if you indeed are interested in that.

DiegoWT

Astefia

Cooltrainer
Can this be used to choose between a different number of starters, like 2 or 4?

Chagz44

Rookie
8F0352F0-8712-4C32-951D-5414C2854EA0.jpeg
This starter selection is really cool, but every time I run it on play test it comes up with this error. I would appreciate if I could get some tips on how to resolve this. Thx

DiegoWT

This starter selection is really cool, but every time I run it on play test it comes up with this error. I would appreciate if I could get some tips on how to resolve this. Thx
There are two reasons for this error to have shown up to you:
1 - You didn't compile your game (my plugin's name doesn't show in the Debug Output);
2 - You didn't extract the archives properly. Inside the folder where my plugin is installed should have meta.txt, Script.rb and Settings.rb.

As an alternative fix for reason 2, you could put both the .rb archives inside of your Script Editor.

Last edited:

Chagz44

Rookie
There are two reasons for this error to have shown up to you:
1 - You didn't compile your game (my plugin's name doesn't show in the Debug Output);
2 - You didn't extract the archives properly, inside the folder where my plugin is installed should have meta.txt, Script.rb and Settings.rb;

As an alternative fix for reason 2, you could put both the .rb archives inside of your Script Editor.
I was able to fix it now, thx for the help.

AwesomeToadUltimate

Novice
How do I have Variable 7 update? When I use the script, the rival always uses the Fire starter (she's only supposed to pick Craburn starter if you pick Bubbott), even when you pick the Grass starter or the Fire starter yourself. I made multiple versions of the rival btw, and I think I set up the script section for the rival battle correctly. Fortunately, I could turn this into a joke by saying that the Water starter is the "canonical" starter of the trio for the player to pick.
how the starter selection looks.PNG
picked pupleaf.PNG
picked craburn.PNG

Last edited:
How do I have Variable 7 update? When I use the script, the rival always uses the Fire starter (she's only supposed to pick Craburn starter if you pick Bubbott), even when you pick the Grass starter or the Fire starter yourself. I made multiple versions of the rival btw, and I think I set up the script section for the rival battle correctly. Fortunately, I could turn this into a joke by saying that the Water starter is the "canonical" starter of the trio for the player to pick.
It automatically updates.
1662232335028.png

The problem is with your rival event.

Back