• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Following Pokemon EX

Resource Following Pokemon EX 2.2.3

Zygoat

Mimikyu enjoyer
Would you mind providing a download to the v18 version for people who can't upgrade to v19 yet? There are scripts that are not yet available for v19 that some people need to use for their games to function as intended, so not everyone can immediately hop on over. I understand if you don't have it anymore but if you do, I think you should at least let people download it and if they have bugs they'll just have to figure them out on their own.

nathan_day

Rookie
Would you mind providing a download to the v18 version for people who can't upgrade to v19 yet? There are scripts that are not yet available for v19 that some people need to use for their games to function as intended, so not everyone can immediately hop on over. I understand if you don't have it anymore but if you do, I think you should at least let people download it and if they have bugs they'll just have to figure them out on their own.
dude honestly just bite the bullet and upgrade. i was hesitant at first too, but the performance is sooo much better

Zygoat

Mimikyu enjoyer
dude honestly just bite the bullet and upgrade. i was hesitant at first too, but the performance is sooo much better
If I did that, I would have to remove features from my game and I don't think it's worth it. Maybe after v19 has been out for a lot longer

Cryptochrome

Heretic
It looks like someone posted a link to the v18 version on reddit.

This is a worrisome trend I have noticed, in which legacy versions of resources are not just no longer supported, but no longer made available. Marin did the same with v17.2 Enhanced Staircases when v18 was released. With development of Pokemon Essentials moving to open source, it seems updates will be more frequent, which means more resources will be left behind.

Solo Dev fangames take years to make. Some of the resources you planned on using when you started will be updated (and legacy versions removed), while others will not be updated and require the older version of Essentials. In my view the improvements made in v19 (and newer versions in the future) should stand on their own as an incentive to upgrade.

lichen

i make sprites , i think
I'm another dev on Zygoat's project, so he already knows this by now, but just for reference you can find the v18 version in the "History" tab of the resource (in this case it's the very last one i.e. the oldest out of all of them)

Golisopod User

Elite Trainer

lan vuhoang

Novice
I got this error:
[Pokémon Essentials version 19.1]

Error in Plugin [Following Pokemon EX]:
NameError occurred.
Compiler>': undefined method convert_files' for class #<Class

Backtrace:
[Following Pokemon EX] 003_Follower_Main.rb:302:in `singleton class'
[Following Pokemon EX] 003_Follower_Main.rb:301:in `<module:Compiler>'
[Following Pokemon EX] 003_Follower_Main.rb:268:in `<main>'
008:PluginManager:701:in `eval'
008:PluginManager:701:in `block (2 levels) in runPlugins'
008:PluginManager:689:in `each'
008:PluginManager:689:in `block in runPlugins'
008:PluginManager:683:in `each'
008:PluginManager:683:in `runPlugins'
375:Main:27:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Deinielos

Rookie
my pokemon don't show`up but i can talk with him, someone know something about this

Golisopod User

Elite Trainer
Golisopod User updated Following Pokemon EX with a new update entry:

More bugfixes

Made the "stepping animation speed" for Followers independent of Player speed
Added fixes for followers interacting with bridges
Fixed a crash with followers when surfing
Changed alot of things related to surfing followers
Added a failsafe incase people miss the 1st step in the instructions and don't close RMXP when installing the script

Read the rest of this update entry...

BradenBruh

Rookie
Question, I did everything correctly, but I don't have any of the actual Pokemon graphics. So the pokeball opens up after the event is activated, but no Pokemon show. Where can I get all the graphics for the pokemon?

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
I found a few bugs that seem to break having regular dependent events alongside following Pokemon. If I add a normal dependent event first, then try to use "pbPokemonFollow(X)" in a script command, both sprites disappear - I can still press A to toggle following and see the animation play, but the overworld sprites themselves don't appear. Inside of both functions "remove_sprite" and "refresh_sprite" inside script section Follower_Main, you have this line of code:
Ruby:
next if !events[i] && events[i][8][/FollowerPkmn/]
This logic doesn't seem to make sense though, because how can events[ i ] be nil and also have a value at index 8? I think the line in both functions needs to be this instead:
Ruby:
next if !events[i] || !events[i][8][/FollowerPkmn/]
Also, in function "change_sprite", you have a "return" statement inside the for-loop that seems to always exit the loop after the first iteration. After I removed that line, both sprites appeared and worked as normal for me.

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
Question, I did everything correctly, but I don't have any of the actual Pokemon graphics. So the pokeball opens up after the event is activated, but no Pokemon show. Where can I get all the graphics for the pokemon?
You can download them from the Gen 8 Project here: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/670/. You don't need to install the whole plugin if you don't want it, just the "Followers" and "Followers shiny" folders from "Graphics/Characters/" will do.

AiurJordan

twitch.tv/aiurjordan
I had an issue with pokemon giving infinite items once the framecount had passed 15000.
Adding these lines to the bottom of the def
Ruby:
pbPokemonFound
inside the if statement which only displays if the items can be picked up fixed the issue. I know it is not ideal to have to reset the time taken, but the code should still work as intended because it will still count to over 15000 to add happiness but will only reset whenever the player talks to the follower.

(ADDED lines 26,27 in this block)

Ruby:
def pbPokemonFound(item,quantity = 1,message = "")
  return false if !$PokemonGlobal.follower_hold_item
  pokename = $Trainer.first_able_pokemon.name
  message = "{1} seems to be holding something..." if nil_or_empty?(message)
  pbMessage(_INTL(message,pokename))
  item = GameData::Item.get(item)
  return false if !item || quantity<1
  itemname = (quantity>1) ? item.name_plural : item.name
  pocket = item.pocket
  move = item.move
  if $PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(item,quantity)   # If item can be picked up
    meName = (item.is_key_item?) ? "Key item get" : "Item get"
    if item == :LEFTOVERS
      pbMessage(_INTL("\\me[{1}]#{pokename} found some \\c[1]{2}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",meName,itemname))
    elsif item.is_machine?   # TM or HM
      pbMessage(_INTL("\\me[{1}]#{pokename} found \\c[1]{2} {3}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",meName,itemname,GameData::Move.get(move).name))
    elsif quantity>1
      pbMessage(_INTL("\\me[{1}]#{pokename} found {2} \\c[1]{3}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",meName,quantity,itemname))
    elsif itemname.starts_with_vowel?
      pbMessage(_INTL("\\me[{1}]#{pokename} found an \\c[1]{2}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",meName,itemname))
    else
      pbMessage(_INTL("\\me[{1}]#{pokename} found a \\c[1]{2}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",meName,itemname))
    end
    pbMessage(_INTL("#{pokename} put the {1} away\\nin the <icon=bagPocket{2}>\\c[1]{3} Pocket\\c[0].",
       itemname,pocket,PokemonBag.pocketNames()[pocket]))
    $PokemonGlobal.follower_hold_item = false
    $PokemonGlobal.time_taken = 0
    return true
  end
  # Can't add the item
  if item == :LEFTOVERS
    pbMessage(_INTL("#{pokename} found some \\c[1]{1}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",itemname))
  elsif item.is_machine?   # TM or HM
    pbMessage(_INTL("#{pokename} found \\c[1]{1} {2}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",itemname,GameData::Move.get(move).name))
  elsif quantity>1
    pbMessage(_INTL("#{pokename} found {1} \\c[1]{2}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",quantity,itemname))
  elsif itemname.starts_with_vowel?
    pbMessage(_INTL("#{pokename} found an \\c[1]{1}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",itemname))
  else
    pbMessage(_INTL("#{pokename} found a \\c[1]{1}\\c[0]!\\wtnp[30]",itemname))
  end
  pbMessage(_INTL("But your Bag is full..."))
  return false
end

deoxysprime

Rookie
The followers seem to behave a bit oddly while walking through tiles that have special 4 direction passage set in the RMXP tileset. The follower seems to either reset to your character's position or try to move ahead to the next available tile. It's a fairly minor issue, but I thought I'd point it out.

SebastiaanZ

Trainer
It looks like someone posted a link to the v18 version on reddit.

This is a worrisome trend I have noticed, in which legacy versions of resources are not just no longer supported, but no longer made available. Marin did the same with v17.2 Enhanced Staircases when v18 was released. With development of Pokemon Essentials moving to open source, it seems updates will be more frequent, which means more resources will be left behind.

Solo Dev fangames take years to make. Some of the resources you planned on using when you started will be updated (and legacy versions removed), while others will not be updated and require the older version of Essentials. In my view the improvements made in v19 (and newer versions in the future) should stand on their own as an incentive to upgrade.
I completely agree. Fine that script devs don't want to support older versions, but don't remove older versions, there are enough game devs who have games running on earlier versions of PE. This should be a rule honestly. For myself I am not moving to v19.1 (running on v18.1) cause I have scripts made that I am pretty sure will get wacked when I would try to update.

Back on topic.

Golisopod User

Elite Trainer
Golisopod User updated Following Pokemon EX with a new update entry:

More bugfixes

Fixed Follower appearing on top of player when warping from a map using "Transfer Player"
Fixed Debug Warp moving player to impassable tiles
Fixed many interactions of Following Pokemon with regular Dependent events
Fixed bugs with Ball Open/Close Animations
Fixed follower stranding the player on single tile islands in the water.
Fixed man bugs related to surfing and the Ball open close animation
Made time taken for follower to get an item and/or increase its friendship be FPS agnostic...

Read the rest of this update entry...

AiurJordan

twitch.tv/aiurjordan
Pokemon seem to give items that are not within the array now, they are just random items after this update.
I noticed the array is defined as "items" in FollowerConfig and in the pbPokemonFound it's "item" not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Not sure if this is just me or if it's everyone.

Ok, on closer inspection it's actually returning the NUMERIC id of the item in the array, and it's giving items numbered from 1 - X instead of using the :INTERNAL name.

EXAMPLE:
items = [:POTION,:SUPERPOTION,:CARBOS,:BLACKFLUTE]
To elaborate. If the rand picks the first item in the array, instead of giving me item (POTION (ID 217) or whatever, it gives item with ID number 1 (Repel)

Last edited:
Back