• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Rose Gold

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version

Pokémon Rose Gold
7CQKNiX.png

This game was made using Pokemon Essentials and RPG Maker XP

Plot

Playing from the perspective of Red, adventure around a new small area around Mt.Silver. Following the events of FireRed and LeafGreen several years later, Red stays up in the Tohjo region to train his beloved team. Use his long time companions to face tough foes and legendary creatures in this short journey through the Tohjo Region. Approximately 1.5 - 2 hours of gameplay.

Screenshots

7LDkZQG.png

F1Ah52U.png

Notes

This game was made just over the span of a month for Relic Castles 2016 Game Jam. There are a few things I would have liked to improve, but alas, here we are, at the deadline. Other than the things I'd fix or add, I think it turned out to be a pretty solid project, and I hope you all enjoy it.
-The game ends after you battle the last boss on the top of Mt.Silver. But, a few more events open up after that if you want to go find them (3 legendaries and 2 battles).
-I'd suggest playing with battle animation off. I didn't make any for this game, so it's all mediocre stock animations, plus the battles are faster with them off.
-I'd suggest playing with Shift style set to off for added challenge.
-Most bugs have been fixed (other than graphic glitches in the battle system) but please report any you find!
-Check your PC at the beginning of the game.

Credits

Special thanks to Cilerba and Kiedisticelixer for lending a hand to the project getting finished.
[Sprites and Tiles]
Nintendo/Gamefreak
Zeo
Dragoon
Magic-Scarf
The-Red-eX (most of the tiles came from them)
TheGreatBlaid

[Scripts]
Maruno (game wouldn't be possible without the Essentials kit by Maruno)
Poccil
Luka SJ
mej71
Kleinstudio
Poccil

Download

Download

Last edited:

ELMaximo

Novice
Hi Atomic Reactor! I really like the plot and the graphics that can be seen in the screenshots. The menu when battling too is nice and the battle backs. I was curious so, I downloaded it. I don't know if the player is supposed to start inside Mt. Silver and have already 6 Pokemon so I wanted to tell you here. I checked it in RPG Maker XP and the Starting Position is supposed to be in the intro, but I didn't get to that part. It started inside Mt. Silver along with 6 Pokemon in the Party. I wasn't sure, that's why. If it the player is supposed to start inside Mt. Silver and already have 6 Pokemon, then please tell me, and sorry. Everything including the graphics and audios and datas are also included in the download. Besides that, I don't see any problem. The graphics are good too. I will stop playing it for now until I get your response. Thank you.

Domiok

Local Goof
Popping in just to let you know that I had fun with Rose Gold. I always find it fascinating when a game dev starts the player in a position where they are already at a high level, and while I did not use the other Pokémon that you included in the PC, I graciously welcome that sort of opportunity to drastically mix up gameplay. You did well on expanding the region around Mt. Silver and on creating a reasonable summit full of powerful Pokémon. The witty humor that leaks from your dialogue, although saturated at times, always gets a laugh out of me. I'm all about making the people in the world interesting, so I can appreciate what you've done here. I will say that the NPCs start to feel a bit cartoon-ish as a result, not that that's an issue.

Red's brief adventure to seek Ho-Oh and the side attractions afterward made for a good couple hours. Thank you for sharing this game! I look forward to what you put forward next time.

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
Hey Atomic Reactor, I've got a few comments about Rose Gold!

FIRST OF ALL, it was a ton of fun. The initial scope of the project is small and manageable, one of those "you can play it in one stream session" games that I drool over. The scenario was also really nice--taking place in the midst of a hole of canon Pokemon, where you can fill Tohjo with whatever you pleased was nice, and getting to play as an older Red was fun too. Until the later trainers I had a fairly easy time getting by with the TMs and move tutors given, and the Pokemon selection was fantastic as well. I started with a shiny Espeon which is always a plus.

SECONDLY, there were a lot of very smart Game Design choices made. I loved the optional Master Ball just sitting out somewhere that you wouldn't normally go off to get, but rewarding the player for not just taking the fastest route and actually exploring was a super nice thing. The little towns gave an atmosphere of people who don't normally get out to the city but do well enough on their own--which allowed the towns to be small, manageable, and not at all overwhelming to the player. A+.

THIRDLY, unfortunately I'm sure a lot of the tiny bugs I experienced were because I was using an older outdated version of the game, so I won't speak much to that. A few spelling errors here and there, a picture frame that let me walk into it, and a briefcase event not working properly really were the extent of my issues, which, for a fangame, is pretty high marks!

All in all, this was a great time, a great stream, a great game.

Well done, can't wait to see what comes of the next game jam!

Fallways

Rookie
This was a great example of a short game that doesn't feel short or lacking in substance. It's very helpful for my own current WIP short story.

Great visually, too! My only complaint would be that the post-game felt very tacked on - which is fine, it just felt out of place considering the main story.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Hi there, excuse the totally obvious question, however--I try to unzip Rose Gold and it demands a password from me for what I assume is the exe file of the game? So I can't actually access it at all, is this normal?

Hi there, excuse the totally obvious question, however--I try to unzip Rose Gold and it demands a password from me for what I assume is the exe file of the game? So I can't actually access it at all, is this normal?
There's no password for the game. Did you download it from the link in this thread, or from a third party site? If the latter, please download it from the post here and don't download from third party sites that may be immorally making money off fan games with ad revenue.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
There's no password for the game. Did you download it from the link in this thread, or from a third party site? If the latter, please download it from the post here and don't download from third party sites that may be immorally making money off fan games with ad revenue.
Nope, it came from the link here! I'll try it again at a later time, could just be something with my computer.

EDIT: It's still asking me for a password on the exe, and I swear I did download it from the link provided by OP.

Last edited:

Mozart

Annoying Twit
I'm using 9zip to unzip it and yeah I'm starting to think at this point it's entirely a windows 10 thing! Sorry for the bother, my friends suggested some solutions for me and I'll get it worked out.

Edit the final: Okay! I have determined that 9zip really really doesn't play nice with this kind of file despite saying it should, thanks windows 10 etc, it works perfectly well with no fuss with winrar.

Last edited:

Presley

Fastest Man Alive
Just completed the game! I have to say I absolutely loved every part of it! The look and feel of the game was astounding. Additionally, ever since I was really young, I always thought that the battle against Red and Gold was the coolest thing ever so it's awesome to be on the other side of the battle field. Honestly, this game was quite the masterpiece in my eyes.

Greninjauzumaki

pika pika
Another great game Atomic Reactor. I really enjoyed playing it and the the way the main game ends was creative as well as nostalgic. However I was sort of lost at some places in the game but maybe it was just me. On the whole awesome game and I am excited to play more of your games in the future.

melody

Rookie
Oh wow the visuals in this look really nice! I like what you did with Tohjo being between Johto and Kanto!

Vex

Rookie
Probably best Pokemon fan game i ever saw, I'm downloading it rn to check if its good as it looks :P

Militaryjones02

Rookie
so I'm really excited about this game but for some reason I can't play it? I'm on a Windows 10 laptop may that be a reason

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
On the very slim chance that you ever come back to this, you might want to put a rock or something here to prevent this. I don't know if there are other ledges layered like this, this was just the one I happened to notice.
D2fglfb.gif
This was fun little adventure, it was nice to just wander around the land without feeling like the stakes are super high or anything. And also an answer to the question "did you ever want to find out what Red does all day atop Mt Silver," the answer, of course, being "I would very much like to know what he does all day atop Mt Silver."

The Pokémon that you could obtain along the way, at least the ones that I saw, felt kinda . . . pointless. It's not a long game, and they're usually so much weaker than you that it doesn't feel worth the time to catch and train any since the game'll be over by the time you can catch up. At some point I was given a Piplup, who was basically dead weight for most of the game. Sorry, Piplup.

Having Hoenn music in a game that's set around Mt Silver is admittedly just a little bit weird, but it's also Hoenn music, which I will gladly accept.

Also, the game itself was very pretty. Very pretty. I like pretty games.

Back