• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Overworld Shadows

Resource Overworld Shadows v1.0

Marin submitted a new resource:

Overworld Shadows for v17 - Every event (unless it contains a certain string in the name) will get a shadow. Done by the code.

This resource can be installed via the Universal Plugin Installer.

You've probably heard of KleinStudio's overworld shadow script before; a lot of fangames use it, after all. It's apparently incompatible with Essentials v17, so I thought I'd give my own take on it.

It is semi-compatible with Essentials v16. It will not crash, but due to the way viewports are handled, shadows will appear on top of...

Read more about this resource...

Kipik

Novice
This wasn't happening before installing your script i swear lol
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
Script '==== UPI Installed ====' line 397: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

Last edited:

Kipik

Novice
Try uninstalling it from the UPI and installing it again.
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2] 
Exception: SystemStackError 
Overworld Shadows:154:in `ow_shadow_init' 

Fiona

Rookie
This is pretty cool, but I'm coming across a couple bugs.

Basically when I have the Following Pokemon script installed, the shadows wont show unless I have some Pokemon in my party, meaning there are no shadows till the player gets their first Pokemon. The big return if in on_shadow_init seems to be returning out for all sprites in this scenario, but I haven't attempted pulling it apart yet, it's a pretty hairy one-liner.

Additionally, if you enter a map with an empty Dependent event (what the Following Pokemon script uses to add the follower without you), then there's a shadow under it. Fixed by adding "Dependent" to your event name blacklist.

This is pretty cool, but I'm coming across a couple bugs.

Basically when I have the Following Pokemon script installed, the shadows wont show unless I have some Pokemon in my party

Isn't this the whole idea? There won't be a shadow if there isn't a follower. There isn't a follower if there aren't any Pokémon, and thus there isn't a shadow when there aren't any Pokémon.
Or do you mean that nothing at all gets shadows whenever you don't have any Pokémon?

Fiona

Rookie
I mean that nothing at all get's shadows before I have any Pokemon added to my party, sorry I wasn't clear enough.

kuruganne

Rookie
The shadow shows up even when you enter in some building (it doesn't disappear with you), also the shadow of you companion (if you have one) shows up too.

Achohermano

Novice
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]
Exception: NoMethodError
Shadows:60:in `pbShouldGetShadow?'
Shadows:180:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:64:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:64:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
Spriteset_Map:63:in `each'
Spriteset_Map:63:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
Sprite_AnimationSprite:45:in `shadow_initialize'
Sprite_DynamicShadows:206:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:20:in `new'
Scene_Map:20:in `createSpritesets'

What do I have to change?

Thanks for the reports. I'm on vacation so I can't look at them, sadly.

If any coders are around, I assume all I need to do for the first issue is to make the shadow's opacity match the sprite's opacity.

Achohermano

Novice
Well, when you're free, I would appreciate if you can see my error, what do I have to change and all that stuff?
Great job and happy holidays!

Back