• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Pharaohs (FULL GAME)

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
Welcome to the Urseca region
You start your journey as the child of The Pharaoh about to begin your Challenge to see if you have what it takes to lead the region. Every 40 years, the region holds a competition where they send out one youth from every town out to conquer the Gyms. The ones who defeat all 17 will be allowed to enter The Pyramid and face off against one another for a chance to face The Pharaoh and if they win, they will become the new unquestioned ruler for the next 40 years. Do you have what it takes to climb the Pyramid?
  • FULLY COMPLETED (unless you guys find some bug I didn't)
  • Gens 1-5 Pokémon
  • All Pokemon available to catch outside of events
  • Modern Moves
  • Legendaries are breedable but Arceus acts as a Ditto
  • Pokemon who evolve through trade and other non natural ways have level or stone evolutions
  • Some uneventful Pokemon have new evolutions into older Legendaries, ex: Dunsparce evolves into Azelf, Uxie or Mesprit with the right evo stone
  • Champion's team has Lvl 95-100 Pokemon
  • 17 Gyms
  • After 6th Gym, the rest can be done in any order
  • 50-60 hours of gameplay
  • No Mega, No Z moves, No Dyna/GigantoMax or terrastialization.
  • All routes have unique Pokemon for nuzlocke and replayability
  • IV/EV Screen in Summary
  • HM Skills, so your Pokemon don't need to know cut, as long as the can learn it.
  • Shiny rate ~1/100
  • Pokerus rate ~1/500
  • MULTIPLE Save Files
  • Full of Pop Culture references from the 2000s-10s
  • Filled with Pokemon Puns
  • Took 3 years to build (on and off)
  • Game was made by 1 person (me) with Pokemon Essentials and the help of their forums, Relic castle forums (R.I.P.) and the help of Thundaga videos
  • Limited swearing, only in places where the story deserved it
  • Normal mode, game as intended
  • Hard mode, double battles for key battles, such as Gym Leaders, other NPC Challengers (Rivals) and The Pharaohs
  • NO hidden items unless a tree or building is hiding the Pokeball icon. You don't need to run around clicking A everywhere.
This game started being built to kill time during Covid lockdowns but eventually became something I loved to do and craved to finish. I hope you all enjoy everyone!

KNOWN ISSUES:
1. Talk to the Nurse Joy after getting your starter to set your faint location. Just realized the issue but I am waiting to see what else people find before I fix.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pbhtt2e9-MeSfGjzXcgIYllu7wNn9WLH/view?usp=drive_link
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13NZi984cl-5w3hUNxCeq3wSN8K8JTuYp/view?usp=drive_link
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EMI4bBF68TsH3noqEv9x_zA80ytPfjeS/view?usp=drive_link
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z35WbIpH0Ef97YKJ9FymfpjXWfjZ-GvC/view?usp=drive_link
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QqdXbVUeJKppdXtIqTaVdA0T0nBCuelL/view?usp=drive_link

Normal Mode:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bfSxFy9ho4KAv_X308syfDHM8dttcvJj/view?usp=drive_link

Hard Mode:
View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kjc9txt_7USO7sV5aY3L3-hSzPztUBEJ/view?usp=drive_link

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
Inspired by work by Flameguru

mkxp-z by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

IV/EV Summary Screen on page 3
LinKazamine

SUPERCAPSULES
AIURJordan and 4ALLNIGHTGRINDER64

HM Skills
Lucidious89

Multiple save files plugin
HTTP404ERROR

Last edited:

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
Talk to the Nurse Joy after getting your starter to set your faint location. Just realized the issue but I am waiting to see what else people find before I fix.

EDIT: Do NOT look up Pokemon location in the Pokedex. Never once thought about that while building the game. Will add to the game after vacation next week.

Last edited:

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
game doesn't start, shows argument error
Did you download the normal or hard game? I removed the game from my harddrive and redownloaded it and it opened fine for the Normal game. Are you on Windows or Mac?

Misted-jay

Rookie
Having the same issue as Aladdin. I'm playing on normal. The argument error is as follows:

"Script '<internal:marshal>' line 34:ArgumentError occured.

undefined class/module Player_Quests"

I tried looking through the various files that were in the download to see if I could figure out what it was talking about, but I don't see anything about player quests anywhere.

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
So I think the base issue was fixed. I didn't change the name of the game, so it was showing up as "Pokemon Essentials" and messing with other files plugins that aren't in my game.
I hope this fixes your issue and let me know if it doesn't. I am determined to make sure this game works for everyone.

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Hey there! I downloaded the Hard version and it opened up just fine for me.

Is the only difference with Hard is that key battles will be doubles?

Are there level caps?

Is there a speed up button?

TIA for any insights you can share!

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
1. Yes, that is literally the only difference between the two. I noticed while playing that the hardest battles in the game were the double battles, so I made ~40 battles double battles. Smogon teams were also mostly based around double battles, so it makes sense.

2. No level caps besides the usual level 100. The game will start off kind of high leveled but it will gradually equal out to where you won't have to do too much grinding to be equal to the Champion/Pharoahs level.

3. Only real speed up is the running shoes that you get about 15 steps into the game. Then you just need to change the setting to where you are always running.

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
I will be working on a guide but I am going on a two week vacation in a few days. I also kind of like the idea of it being like the old games where you are blind without the internet for the first few weeks of release. The game doesn't hold your hand like modern ones but you shouldn't get lost.

Misted-jay

Rookie
So I think the base issue was fixed. I didn't change the name of the game, so it was showing up as "Pokemon Essentials" and messing with other files plugins that aren't in my game.
I hope this fixes your issue and let me know if it doesn't. I am determined to make sure this game works for everyone.
Seems to have worked on my end! Thanks for fixing it. Crazy how a simple file name can cause weird issues haha

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
Seems to have worked on my end! Thanks for fixing it. Crazy how a simple file name can cause weird issues haha
It's because it was named what all games have as thier base, so it interacted with any and all scripts you may have had from other games. Which makes sense why it worked for my friends. They never played a fangame before.

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
Okay everyone, so if you downloaded the "Normal" version, there are some issues with it. I loaded an older version of the game and the one there now is the true finished version. Make sure to download it first and open it to make sure your saved game is there before you delete the old one. You will know if yours is the wrong version based on if a shiny charm was in the first area, where you pick your starter. The only issue with that file should be the post game "Pharaohs of the Past" room. If that doesn't bother you, play on!

I am truly sorry for any and all inconvenience. It being my first game and a 1 man project, some dumb mistakes are bound to happen.
Hope you all enjoy!
-Gluttonous Pharaoh

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
No worries on bugs, they are gonna happen! I started playing this a bit yesterday on Hard, it is pretty wild!

One thing I did run into is if you happen to faint before going to a Pokemon Center first (I somehow managed to encounter a Machamp in the tall grass with my lvl5 Beldum haha, looked at the PBS and there is a 1% chance of that happening!) you respawn on the other side of the town...like where the E4 entrance is. Not a huge deal at all since it is literally the very start of the game, but I got a chuckle out of warping to basically the end of the game with my lvl5 starter. I tested this to see if it happens after going to the Pokemon Center first, and it does not (i.e., if you wipe you go back to the PC like usual).

I have 1 badge thus far, will report anything else bug-wise as I go if applicable.

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
No worries on bugs, they are gonna happen! I started playing this a bit yesterday on Hard, it is pretty wild!

One thing I did run into is if you happen to faint before going to a Pokemon Center first (I somehow managed to encounter a Machamp in the tall grass with my lvl5 Beldum haha, looked at the PBS and there is a 1% chance of that happening!) you respawn on the other side of the town...like where the E4 entrance is. Not a huge deal at all since it is literally the very start of the game, but I got a chuckle out of warping to basically the end of the game with my lvl5 starter. I tested this to see if it happens after going to the Pokemon Center first, and it does not (i.e., if you wipe you go back to the PC like usual).

I have 1 badge thus far, will report anything else bug-wise as I go if applicable.
Yes I have heard that issue as well. There is a part of me that wants to fix it but another part that wants to leave it for a speed run possibility. You grab the Quick ball behind the Pokemart and then faint, pop up there, quickball something and then use that to catch more. Then just head into the E4.

The issue formed because I had to remake the starting area or you could fly to the E4 at any point in time because you were already technically there. This is the side effect until I fix it entirely lol.

I put the 3 known issues in below the pictures.

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Sounds good! I have a few badges now and a few things further I have noticed:

1) The game is definitely slower than other fangames due to no speed up button. I am using 2.5x speed on Cheat Engine and that is working fine for people that don't mind using it/know how. For others, this may be a barrier.

2) Having HM items instead of the moves themselves so you don't have to burn moveslots for useless moves all the time would be so much better and help the QoL considerably. Most of the mons on teams you face for important battles have competitive movesets even in the first gym battle, so it feels silly that I have a mon with Cut, lol.

3) The gap in levels seem to be quite diverse, meaning I can encounter a lvl 7 shellos in the wild and then face a trainer with lvl 30 mons in the same area. This will likely drive Nuzlockers crazy. All of my wipes thus far have been because I run into a trainer that is 10 levels above me out of nowhere. This isn't a big deal to me personally, but it stood out to me nearly immediately.

4) The Pokemon Summary menus lack the ability to see IVs or EVs. I assume there will be a way to get Heart Scales and more TMs consistently later on in the game? I am already out of Heart Scales. People that want to switch around their teams are going to hesitate to do that if they can't relearn moves.

All that said, the game is a lot of fun and none of these things should you change nothing will prevent me from finishing it. I like the take on the typical Gym Badge mechanic, and I read a bunch of the lore in the Classroom as well which was interesting!

Getting cheap EV reducing berries and cheap Feathers early on is really nice, so if you have one or two mons you know you are keeping now, you can start EV tailoring them right away basically.

The mon diversity is great! And I managed to find one of the mons that can evolve into a Legendary...so I looked in the PBS and I see 3 mons that look like they use this mechanic (the Dunsparce you listed and 2 others that I won't spoil for people). Are there more than 3 and I missed it?

Great game, thanks for sharing it with us!!! 😀

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
Sounds good! I have a few badges now and a few things further I have noticed:

1) The game is definitely slower than other fangames due to no speed up button. I am using 2.5x speed on Cheat Engine and that is working fine for people that don't mind using it/know how. For others, this may be a barrier.

2) Having HM items instead of the moves themselves so you don't have to burn moveslots for useless moves all the time would be so much better and help the QoL considerably. Most of the mons on teams you face for important battles have competitive movesets even in the first gym battle, so it feels silly that I have a mon with Cut, lol.

3) The gap in levels seem to be quite diverse, meaning I can encounter a lvl 7 shellos in the wild and then face a trainer with lvl 30 mons in the same area. This will likely drive Nuzlockers crazy. All of my wipes thus far have been because I run into a trainer that is 10 levels above me out of nowhere. This isn't a big deal to me personally, but it stood out to me nearly immediately.

4) The Pokemon Summary menus lack the ability to see IVs or EVs. I assume there will be a way to get Heart Scales and more TMs consistently later on in the game? I am already out of Heart Scales. People that want to switch around their teams are going to hesitate to do that if they can't relearn moves.

All that said, the game is a lot of fun and none of these things should you change nothing will prevent me from finishing it. I like the take on the typical Gym Badge mechanic, and I read a bunch of the lore in the Classroom as well which was interesting!

Getting cheap EV reducing berries and cheap Feathers early on is really nice, so if you have one or two mons you know you are keeping now, you can start EV tailoring them right away basically.

The mon diversity is great! And I managed to find one of the mons that can evolve into a Legendary...so I looked in the PBS and I see 3 mons that look like they use this mechanic (the Dunsparce you listed and 2 others that I won't spoil for people). Are there more than 3 and I missed it?

Great game, thanks for sharing it with us!!! 😀
Those are all amazing feedback points, THANK YOU!!
I originally had the idea that people might want to catch lower levels for move or IV reasons but that is something I have been hearing from a few different people. I will probably round those out a bit.

HM items are actually a great idea, I just got used to always having an HM slave. The only HMs you ever need are Cut, Rock Smash and Surf. Fly is there for traveling and Rock Smash is only used in a few places but you are totally right. I will look into the HM items.

Speeding up the game isn't something I thought of before. I can look into scripts and plugins that could help that.

Summary screen is another update that can definitely happen in time. Just going to take a few weeks because an upcoming vacation.

Only other one is Unown, that evolves into Spiritomb. There will be an NPC that explains each of the Pokemon and their unique evolutions.

LOVE that you read the library. I had way too much fun turning non Pokemon stories, like Godzilla, Star Wars, Marvel, etc, into Pokemon lore.

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Thanks for the responses! Please enjoy your time off! There is no rush with any of this.

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
Thanks for the responses! Please enjoy your time off! There is no rush with any of this.
Last thing I noticed and forgot to respond to. There will be an NPC in his own home that lets you buy Heart Scales and also a room that has 3 NPCs that will have all TMs in the game, available to buy. Hope this helps!

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
oof, I didn't save before picking up a Farfetch'd egg and lost a few shinies as a result (despite reading the warning!). Don't be like me, save before you start breeding!

Pharaoh_Xigo

Novice
oof, I didn't save before picking up a Farfetch'd egg and lost a few shinies as a result (despite reading the warning!). Don't be like me, save before you start breeding!
looking into this now. I am sure it's just one of the random event scripts that got reworded during the update. There were a bunch of little ones that were changed. Update will come as soon as I fix it

Back