• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
In-Depth Pokedex Data Page [v21.1]

Resource In-Depth Pokedex Data Page [v21.1] v2.0.1

Nut0066

Nut
Ah, I know what this probably is.

The plugin really doesn't like regional evolutions that are part of a 3-stage family. It's surprisingly very tricky to differentiate 3-stage families that branch in this way, because Essentials doesn't differentiate forms when gathering evolution data. It only really checks the data for the base form. Thankfully, there are only two 3-stage families in the entirety of the franchise that have regional forms that branch off into different final stages.

Those two families are Zigzagoon (branches off into Linoone or Obstagoon), and Mime Jr. (branches off into Mr. Mime or Mr. Rime).
If you check these species out in the plugin, they also display incorrectly. Mime Jr. never indicates that Mr. Rime is an eligible evolutionary path, and neither does Galarian Linoone with Obstagoon. They both just display as if they only evolve once, since that's how their base forms work.
I never bothered to fix this, because it's such a minor and relatively unnoticeable issue that it didn't seem worth writing lines and lines of code for something so insignificant.

However, I never thought about testing a regional evolution of a 3-stage family where BOTH branches lead to a third stage. Mostly because...well, none exist in the franchise. But it seems like this small issue becomes more of a problem in this scenario, since now instead of simply not displaying data like with Zigzagoon or Mime Jr., it displays the wrong data since it's reading what the third stage is for the base species.

There really is no clean way around this. I can definitely tweak the code to try and account for this, but it won't be perfect and won't be able to catch every possible scenario. But I'll see what can be done.

Just note that for this to even work, base Doublade will need Siegislash listed as an evolution in its PBS data, but the evolution method will have to be entered as None. For an example of this, check out how Meowth's evolution data lists both Persian and Perrserker, even though base Meowth can only evolve into Persian.
Ah interesting. Thanks for all the help it means a lot!

PumpkinLeaf

Rookie
This plugin works really well, though one very minor issue I noticed is that Galrian Zen Mode Darmanitan shows up in the species move section, even though it shouldn't; and for some reason, it's shown with regular Darmanitan's moveset instead of the Galarian's.

I thought it might've been a problem with the PBS, but I checked the PBS and Galarian Zen Darmanitan doesn't have its own moveset and it has the flag DefaultForm_2, so I have no idea why this is happening.

R0QS9tf.png

Lucidious89

Champion
This plugin works really well, though one very minor issue I noticed is that Galrian Zen Mode Darmanitan shows up in the species move section, even though it shouldn't; and for some reason, it's shown with regular Darmanitan's moveset instead of the Galarian's.

I thought it might've been a problem with the PBS, but I checked the PBS and Galarian Zen Darmanitan doesn't have its own moveset and it has the flag DefaultForm_2, so I have no idea why this is happening.

R0QS9tf.png
Doesn't happen for me. What move are you looking at, and on whom? Are you sure your Darmanitan icons are numbered correctly?

PumpkinLeaf

Rookie
Doesn't happen for me. What move are you looking at, and on whom? Are you sure your Darmanitan icons are numbered correctly?
In this screenshot, I think I was looking at the move Toxic, which in my game can be learned by regular Darmanitan, but not Galarian. That's why I'm confused on why the Galarian Zen shows up here. And yes, the icons have the correct numbers.

Also, in Galarian Zen's page, it lists the moves that regular Darmanitan can learn, even though it has the DefaultForm_2 flag in PBS (meaning it should show the Galarian's moveset).

It's a little hard to explain, so I decided to record what's happening:
yz4eJvL.gif

1iqEa7F.gif

Lucidious89

Champion
In this screenshot, I think I was looking at the move Toxic, which in my game can be learned by regular Darmanitan, but not Galarian. That's why I'm confused on why the Galarian Zen shows up here. And yes, the icons have the correct numbers.

Also, in Galarian Zen's page, it lists the moves that regular Darmanitan can learn, even though it has the DefaultForm_2 flag in PBS (meaning it should show the Galarian's moveset).

It's a little hard to explain, so I decided to record what's happening:
yz4eJvL.gif

1iqEa7F.gif
Idk what to tell you, I can't replicate the issue. Galarian Zen Mode Darmanitan doesn't appear in any species list for any move in my game, and it displays the correct moves. Are you sure you have the latest version installed? Also, are you sure your PBS files are accurate? Because just from your gif I can tell it's been customized since your Galarian Darmanitan's form name is "Galarian Form" when the name Essentials uses by default is "Galarian Standard Mode." So that already makes me suspicious that this is down to something you edited.

The reason I think this is because I specifically went out of my way to hardcode any Pokemon with "Zen Mode" in its form name to NOT count as a regional form when viewing move lists. I did this specifically because Galarian Zen Mode is an oddball and would otherwise count as a unique regional form in this plugin if I didn't single it out. So it's actually impossible for it to be appearing in move compatibility lists.

The ONLY way this could happen is if one of the following is true:
  • Galarian Zen Mode Darmanitan does not have the flag DefaultForm_2.
  • Galarian Zen Mode Darmanitan's form name does not contain the words "Zen Mode."
  • Galarian Zen Mode Darmanitan has at least one level-up move or tutor move that differs from Galarian Standard Mode Darmanitan.
So if you insist it's not the first thing, and it can't be the second thing, it must be the third thing. It's possible that you perhaps have not compiled the game after the DefaultForm flag was added, so it's still reading base Darmanitan as the default form.

xDracolich

Novice
Hey, I'm trying to add a new evolution method for levelling up while affected by certain statuses. For example, I have an evolution for Eevee that evolves into a Poison-type if it levels up while poisoned.
The evolution menthod correctly displays as
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
TOXIEON,HasStatus,POISON
In Eevee's pokemon.txt file

I've gotten the evolution method to work on all fronts data-wise, except one; having the description show up when checking the evolution method under these extra Pokédex pages. So far, I've added this line to the [000] GameData.rb file under GameData::Evolution.each do |evo| :
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
  when :HasStatus                              then evo.description = _INTL("while affected by the {1} status")

But the game still crashes when I'm trying to view it, so I assume I need to add more code somewhere.

Lucidious89

Champion
Hey, I'm trying to add a new evolution method for levelling up while affected by certain statuses. For example, I have an evolution for Eevee that evolves into a Poison-type if it levels up while poisoned.
The evolution menthod correctly displays as
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
TOXIEON,HasStatus,POISON
In Eevee's pokemon.txt file

I've gotten the evolution method to work on all fronts data-wise, except one; having the description show up when checking the evolution method under these extra Pokédex pages. So far, I've added this line to the [000] GameData.rb file under GameData::Evolution.each do |evo| :
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
  when :HasStatus                              then evo.description = _INTL("while affected by the {1} status")

But the game still crashes when I'm trying to view it, so I assume I need to add more code somewhere.
Did you recompile after adding this to the game data?

The_Bird_King

Rookie
Is there something I need to edit if I have more than the original regional dexes to make this work? I updated the script manager and regional pokedex files but I get this error when trying to view a dex entry for any pokemon regions 3-9 unless I view it through the national dax:

Exception: RuntimeError

Backtrace:
GameData:176:in `get'
UI_Pokedex_Entry:24:in `pbStartScene'
[[MUI] Pokedex Data Page] [001] Page Setup.rb:86:in `pbStartScene'
UI_Pokedex_Entry:583:in `pbStartScreen'
UI_Pokedex_Main:879:in `pbDexEntry'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1281:in `block (2 levels) in pbPokedex'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1257:in `loop'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1257:in `block in pbPokedex'
MessageConfig:721:in `pbActivateWindow'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1256:in `pbPokedex'

xDracolich

Novice
Did you recompile after adding this to the game data?
Yes, I always recompile before opening up the game

The error looks like this:

[Pokémon Essentials version 21.1]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: TypeError

Backtrace:
[Pokedex Data Page] [000] GameData.rb:184:in `+'
[Pokedex Data Page] [000] GameData.rb:184:in `description'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:355:in `block in pbDataTextFamily'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:347:in `each'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:347:in `pbDataTextFamily'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:19:in `pbDrawDataNotes'
[Pokedex Data Page] [002] Main Page.rb:66:in `block in pbDataPageMenu'
[Pokedex Data Page] [002] Main Page.rb:12:in `loop'
[Pokedex Data Page] [002] Main Page.rb:12:in `pbDataPageMenu'
[Pokedex Data Page] [001] Page Setup.rb:122:in `pbPageCustomUse'

Lucidious89

Champion
Yes, I always recompile before opening up the game

The error looks like this:

[Pokémon Essentials version 21.1]
[v21.1 Hotfixes 1.0.9]

Exception: TypeError

Backtrace:
[Pokedex Data Page] [000] GameData.rb:184:in `+'
[Pokedex Data Page] [000] GameData.rb:184:in `description'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:355:in `block in pbDataTextFamily'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:347:in `each'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:347:in `pbDataTextFamily'
[Pokedex Data Page] [005] Data Messages.rb:19:in `pbDrawDataNotes'
[Pokedex Data Page] [002] Main Page.rb:66:in `block in pbDataPageMenu'
[Pokedex Data Page] [002] Main Page.rb:12:in `loop'
[Pokedex Data Page] [002] Main Page.rb:12:in `pbDataPageMenu'
[Pokedex Data Page] [001] Page Setup.rb:122:in `pbPageCustomUse'
Did you edit the plugin scripts at all? Some of the lines the error stack is pointing to are just blank, or don't make any sense.

Lucidious89

Champion
Is there something I need to edit if I have more than the original regional dexes to make this work? I updated the script manager and regional pokedex files but I get this error when trying to view a dex entry for any pokemon regions 3-9 unless I view it through the national dax:

Exception: RuntimeError

Backtrace:
GameData:176:in `get'
UI_Pokedex_Entry:24:in `pbStartScene'
[[MUI] Pokedex Data Page] [001] Page Setup.rb:86:in `pbStartScene'
UI_Pokedex_Entry:583:in `pbStartScreen'
UI_Pokedex_Main:879:in `pbDexEntry'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1281:in `block (2 levels) in pbPokedex'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1257:in `loop'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1257:in `block in pbPokedex'
MessageConfig:721:in `pbActivateWindow'
UI_Pokedex_Main:1256:in `pbPokedex'
This isn't related to the plugin at all. You just presumably haven't defined any of these additional regions in your town_map.txt PBS.

The_Bird_King

Rookie
This isn't related to the plugin at all. You just presumably haven't defined any of these additional regions in your town_map.txt PBS.
The instructions should probably indicate that you must also actually define all of these additional regions in your town_map.txt PBS file. Otherwise, the Pokedex will crash whenever attempting to view these regional dexes.
That fixed it, thank you. For anyone else trying to make this work with gen 9 pokemon, just add this in town_map file:
#-------------------------------
[2]
Name = Gen3
Filename = mapRegion0.png
[3]
Name = Gen4
[4]
Name = Gen5
[5]
Name = Gen6
[6]
Name = Gen7
[7]
Name = Gen8
[8]
Name = Gen9

xDracolich

Novice
Did you edit the plugin scripts at all? Some of the lines the error stack is pointing to are just blank, or don't make any sense.
I should have? But just to be sure, can you guide me to where exactly I should enter that status conditions are an evolution method in the plugins?

Lucidious89

Champion
I should have? But just to be sure, can you guide me to where exactly I should enter that status conditions are an evolution method in the plugins?
What you posted is already correct. Im just saying that it seems like you edited the plugin scripts beyond that, since the error report is pointing to lines that dont make any sense in my copy of the plugin. And if you edited the plugin, then obviously its impossible for me to know what you may have broken.

Phye

Moon Guardian
This is a silly suggestion, but would it be possible to have longer dex entries? Maybe instead of showing pokemon battled, if you press the action button it scrolls down the text?

Lucidious89

Champion
This is a silly suggestion, but would it be possible to have longer dex entries? Maybe instead of showing pokemon battled, if you press the action button it scrolls down the text?
That's not really related to this plugin at all. It could be a good idea for a new one, though.

Back