• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Stygian Snakewood, a Pokémon Snakewood Remake.

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
- Made with Essentials 20.1 -
Disclaimer: This project has no affiliation with Pokémon Snakewood made by Cutlerine and it's but a tribute to the original work, it intends in no way or form to replace it but to build upon and expand.

Hoenn has been invaded by a zombie plague! Revive the experience of the iconic 2010 ROM Hack by Cutlerine once again as you are the younger sibling of Brendan, who woke up without memory on a devastated region, trying to find the whereabouts of their brother and the origin of the zombie outbreak with the help of Professor Birch while meeting an almost unrecognizable Hoenn, facing zombies, new characters and uncharacteristic humor!

Features

Update for the zombie Pokémon: Many zombie Pokémon are available for the player from the previous only two, furthermore many have also been added from many media such as XtraSnakewood, Snakewood DX, RetroNC's video and our own zombies! Furthermore you can only catch one using a previously unused item, the Necro Ball. Zombie Pokémon are powerful but be careful with your choices as Necro Balls are hard to come by.
High Difficulty: For those who want a challenge, the game has a considerably higher difficulty that was carefully worked to be as fair and competitive as possible, both with trainer battles and a few AI tweaks (Vanilla mode also available! Hopefully more fair than the original game, I think).
A new type, Plague: Derived from the original Disease-type of Pokémon Snakewood (renamed due to UI issues), its main feature is that they do more damage, but are unable to switch (might change in the future)! Plague is also followed by a new weather, Soot.
Pokémon rebalancing: While there are still power differences between Pokémon and some are mostly a second thought after the early game, we've made sure that even if it's specific niche, every single one of our >360 Pokémon have something unique to them, while not bloating the game nor deviating much from the original version.
Lack of grinding: EVs and IVs have been removed, furthermore DemICE's EXP gain system enables for a fast and smooth level curve without requiring level caps (considerable increase/decrease in EXP based on the level difference between the opponent. The game has been adjusted accordingly to all those features. You're encouraged to have a lot of Pokémon early!
Increased exploration: While not required, the player is often rewarded for not going on a straight line, maybe check that rock or behind the tree, a surprise may wait for you!
Ability changes: Giving love to some irrelevant abilities, Stall now skips every other turn, Sand Veil increases Defense during Sandstorm while Damp sets Water Sport on entry!
Graphic overhaul: Most original Fakémon and characters have been redesigned in order to have a more modern look while trying to retain the silly core Snakewood essence, not everything was redesigned though, some familiar faces are unchanged and have (hopefully) just received a higher quality sprite.
Limited resources: (SUBJECT TO CHANGE) One complain of the original Snakewood was how it didn't feel enough like a dystopian scenario. Your decisions matter, use your consumables wisely.
New stuff: As mentioned before, Stygian Snakewood gives it a more modern look to the original game and such adds countless new features such as QoL, physical/special split, Fairy-type, new Zombies, new evolutions for some regular and fake Pokémon and Pokémon that weren't previously available in the original game. And as a bonus, certain unused Pokémon like Demoneon, Toxeon, Crazymadio and Zombified have sprites, regional forms have been added that kinda fit the game i know regional forms are overdone at this point but it wasn't me that came up with them and they look good so take it and a few secrets!

Screenshots may not reflect upon the final release, the title screen is a placeholder
r1dfj9A.png

Q: Is there/will there be a Discord Server?
A: Nope. Well, I've heard and experienced horror stories from Fangame Discord servers that my friends own and it's the kind of thing I wouldn't really want to deal with. So unless someone is willing to manage it themselves we will not have a server.

Q: Will I be able to catch "a/b/c"
A: Our plans is to make every single Pokémon obtainable, including zombies and others that were unavailable in the original game such as Boilbasaur and Mutagon. However some things need to be kept in mind, due to balance reasons Pokémon such as A Monster and Stitched will be very late while zombies can only be caught using the previously unavailable item Necro Ball, which is limited in its availability.

Q: Will it be compatible with Joiplay?
A: I have absolutely no idea. It's not my area of expertise and we will most likely not offer support for it themselves.

Q: What's up with the inconsistency? Why is X sprite different from Y sprite? Why does A have a new design and B doesn't? Why is Z missing?
A: It's a work-in-progress with a few artists working in (that my dumbass is too awkward to properly introduce to each other) with different styles + my own stuff that I gotta admit ain't the best.

Q: Is this game meant to be completed with a challenge run (ex. Nuzlocke or Monotype)? Could you make it so? What about Lunatic mode?
A: Stygian Snakewood (Mostly Lunatic Mode) is not designed around the player following Nuzlocke rules and restrictions, meaning many of these types of challenges are likely impossible. I did not balance the game around extra rulesets and no changes will be made to accommodate them. Be free to either try them in the Vanilla difficulty or prove me wrong, I would love to see it!

Q: What the hell happened Wurmple? How does its evolution work now?
A: Read the sign in the south part of Route 104 then check Wurmple's name in other languages. Wurmple also now evolves based on Day (Silcoon/Beautifly) or Night (Cascoon/Dustox).

Q: What is Plague's type chart?
A: It's super-effective against things considered alive (Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Grass) and Psychic, it's weak to Bug, Poison and Psychic and it's resisted by Ghost, Steel and Ice (depending on feedback, might make it so that Fire also resists Plague)

Disclaimer: Credits might not reflect the final version and are subject to change. If any of the current features or screenshots shown contain any stuff that you believe it's yours and has no credit, please contact ASAP me on Discord #aaleven.

CREDITS

Stygian Snakewood was created by A¹¹

Lead Developer: A¹¹

Spriters: lichen, Badman, thewaffles

------------------------------
GRAPHICS
-
Dozens of Trainer and Pokémon redesigns by Burgoton!
-

RetroNC for a bunch of redesigns (Such as Yuck)

GenDraconis for allowing me to use their Snakewood fakemon designs

KleinStudio and Kymotonian on Deviantart for the various gen 3 sprites in HGSS style (Such as Birch)

Mashirosakura for giving me assets from his discontinued Snakewood remake including: protagonists, Dragoone, Gigawolf, Boilbasaur and the intro.

The Pokemon Rejuvenation Shiny Project I think

Xiapher

DMBY

Sombrero_Tanooki

myRattata for some of the Snakewood DX sprites

Gen 4 OW Sprites by:
Neo-Spriteman
VanillaSunshine
PurpleZaffre & Maicerochico
AtomicReacto

Mr. Gela/theo#7722 (trainer sprites gen 4)

Hoenn Gym Leader mugshots by Dasupect

FEAR font by somepx

ORAS trainer sprites by Kyledove

FloofyPanthar on Relic Castle for

Gen 5+ Back Sprites by:
@ Dreadwing93
@ Prodigal96
@ MM980
@ 44tim44
@ Gnomowladny
@ MetalFlygon (republished by Zygoat)
@ WolfPP
@ lichenprincess
@ BiggusWeeabus
@ ChromusSama
@ briochee
@ Mak
@ Loafus022
@ Sopita_Yorita
@ lennybitao
@ Limitdistortion
@ PorousMist326
@ leParagon
@ DS-style Gen VII and Beyong Pokemon Sprite Repository
@ Smogon Art Projects

-Battle Backgrounds-
Carchi/Carchagui
AveonTrainer

The DS-style Gen VII and Beyond Pokémon Sprite Repository in 64x64

The Smogon Sprite Project for a few gen 8 Sprites

Swimming Overworld Pokemon Sprites by Swdfm

Tileset credits go to:
Kymotonian
Speedialga
Spacemotion
Alucus
Pokemon-diamond
Kizemaru-kurunosuke
Epicday
Thurpok
Ultimospriter
Dewitty
Minorthreat0987
Tyranitardark
Princelegendario
Kaitodesign
Wesleyfg
Boomxbig
Takaiofthefire
Sailorvicious
Aveontrainer
Magiscarf
Phyromatical
Cuddlesthefatcat
Peekychew
Hek
Carchagui
KingTapir
07harris/Paranoid
19dante91
27alexmad27
Alistair
Atomika
Bakura155
Blue Beedrill
Boomxbig
Bulbapedia and Bulbaforums
chimcharsfireworkd
Chio
CNickC/CNC
Flood
Fused
G-olden
help14
Jesse TBPro
lordindy
Kizemaru_Kurunosuke
klnothincomin
Kuroda-Taiki
Newtiteuf
Novus
PrinceLegendario
Reck
Red-Gyrados
REMY35
RHN
Saurav
Scarexshivaking
Seiyouh
SL249
spaceemotion
spypoke megafc
ThePokemonChronicles

And partially:
-ThatsSoWitty-
-Nocturn-

Autotiles:
Rayquaza-Dot
DormDude
BoOmxBiG
Epicday

Modular Title Screen by Luka S.J
SCRIPTS (INCLUDING PLUGINS)

Advanced Items - Field Moves by Bergium, TechSkylander1518, Moyo, Marin

All Abilities Mutation by DemIce and Azery

Always inside Bushes by Kotaro,Titania318,KleinStudio and derFischae

Auto Multi Save by http404error

Better Speed Up by Marin and Phantombass

Consistent AI by DemIce

Easy Text Skip by Amethyst, Kurotsune and ENLS

Encounter List UI by ThatWelshOne_,raZ,Marin,Maruno,Nuri Yuri,PurpleZaffre,Savordez and Vendily

Enchanced UI by Lucidious89
Ball Sprites: Poq and BlueEye007

Essentials Deluxe by Lucidious89

Generation 9 Pack by Caruban

HM Catalogue by Phantombass

Improved AI by KRLW890

Independent Hidden Power Type by DemIce

Infinite Save Backups by DemICE and http404error

ItemFind by Boonzeet

LA Party Evolver by IndianAnimator, eriedaberrie#1569

Marin's Map Expoter and Marin's Scripting Utilities by well, Marin

Set Initial Pokémon Values by DemIce

Tileset Rearranger by Maruno

Tutor.net by Demice

Updated Quicksave by Marin and CrystalStar

20.1 Hotfixes by Maruno

Miscellaneous Script Edits by DemIce
FRIENDS :)

PLAYTESTERS

mizziepoo
S_G
rump
mizziepoo
Moto
Badman
Commander
Martenaizor
ThePikacloneGod
Icyalex
DemICE

SCRIPTING HELP

DemICE
Moto
BigFRIV
MUSIC

GlitchxCity
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon Masters EX
PokeRemixStudio
ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Sly 2
VanilluxePavilion
GAME JAM RESOURCES

Pokemon Shattered Dimensions by: Celestial Fearow, Mahian23, JPA93

==Epic Adventures Tileset + More: Outdoor + Indoor== (Littleroot Researchers Resource Pack)
Alistair
Alucus
Bakura155
Bati'
Blue Beedrill
BoOmxBiG
Chimcharsfireworkd
CNickC/CNC
CrimsonTakai
Cuddlesthefatcat
Dewitty
EpicDay
Fused
Gigatom
Heavy-Metal-Lover
Hek-el-grande
Kage-No-Sensei
Kizemaru_Kurunosuke
Kyledove
LaPampa
LotusKing
New-titeuf
Novus
Pokemon_Diamond
PrinceLegendario
Reck
Red-Gyrados
REMY35
Saurav
SL249
Spaceemotion
SirMalo
Stefpoke
sylver1984
ThatsSoWitty
TheEnglishKiwi
Thegreatblaid
ThePokemonChronicles
TwentyOne
UltimoSpriter
Warpras
WesleyFG
Yoh
Nuri Yuri
07harris/Paranoid
19dante91
27alexmad27
Flurimons
Alucus
Kyle Dove
Dewitty
CNC
KennyCatches

==Gen 4 Style Interior==
Akizakura16
KennyCatches

==Museum==
princess-phoenix
Diegotoon20
Kyogre statue by Kyledove, recolored by KennyCatches

GEN 9 PACK
Script Gen 9 and Adapting PLA for v20:
-Caruban

PBS for Gen 9:
-Caruban
-PorousMist (Updated the abilities, items, and moves description)
-DJChaos (TM Items)

Pokemon Gen 9 Battler Sprites:
The-King-Of-Roads-X, Mak, leParagon, Caruban, Azria, Mashirosakura, Katten, jinxed

Battler Sprites QC:
leParagon

Pokemon Gen 9 icons:
ezerart

Pokemon Gen 9 Followers:
Azria, DarkusShadow

Pokemon Gen 9 Cries:
Edited from Lightblade Absol Gen 9 Cries compilation video

Gen 9 item icons:
-lichenprincess (Tera Orb, Bamboos, Tera Shards, Mirror Herb, Loaded Dice, Leader Crest, and Kubfu Scrolls, Booster Energy, Gimmighoul coin, TM Material, Kofu's Wallet)
-Caruban (Punching Glove, Auspicious Armor, Malicious Armor, Ability Shield, Clear Amulet, Covert Cloak, Scarlet&Violet Book)

Original Pokémon: Legends Arceus Expansion Script :
-StCooler (Original script for Gen 8 Project in v18 and Status sprites)
-PorousMist and curryofthepast (Adapting the script for v19.1 use)

PLA item icons :
-AztecCroc, 3DJackArt, Caruban, lichenprincess

Pokemon cries ripped:
-Morningdew

Pokeballs battle animation and summary icon:
-Caruban
-WolfPP (Beast ball battle animation)

PLA Pokémon icons:
-LuigiTKO

Follower
-Boonzeet
-DarkusShadow
-princess-phoenix
-Ezeart
-Wolfang62

PLA Sprites from Smogon Gen8 Sprite Project :
(https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-sprite-project.3647722/)
-Blaquaza, KingOfThe-X-Roads, KattenK, Travis, G.E.Z., SpheX, Hematite

Gen 4 Style Version
Gen 9 sprites:
KingOfThe-X-Roads, Mak, Red7246, Vent, Caruban, leParagon, Sopita_Yorita, Z-nogyroP,
Alxndre~◇, Mashirosakura, NanaelJustice, KRLW890

PLA sprites:
Travis, KingOfThe-X-Roads, Blaquaza, leParagon, Red7246, G.E.Z., Katten, Vent, Cesare_CBass, AlexandreV2.0, PKMNTrainerRick., CarmaNeko, JWNutz, Erkey830

Gen 9 Icons:
Vent, Katten, leParagon, Cesare_CBass

PLA Icons:
LuigiTKO, Pikafan2000, Cesare_CBass, Vent, Cesare_Cbass, MultiDiegoDani, leParagon, JWNutz
and thanks for
Pokémon Icons Act 2.9 - Teracristalizando
(https://whackahack.com/foro/threads/pokemon-icons-act-2-9-teracristalizando-07-08-2022.63896/)

Full Sprites Credit List:

With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby, Luka S.J., Boushy, MiDas Mike, Brother1440, Near Fantastica, FL., PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami,
Popper, help-14, Rataime, IceGod64, SoundSpawn, Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta, Venom12,
Lisa Anthony, Wachunga, and everyone else who helped out.

"Pokemon Snakewood" by Cutlerine

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy MiDas Mike
Brother1440 Near Fantastica
FL. PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami Popper
Golisopod User Rataime
help-14 Savordez
IceGod64 SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock the__end
KitsuneKouta Venom12
Lisa Anthony Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Attachments

• [2023-02-12] 20_26_43.875.png
    [2023-02-12] 20_26_43.875.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 4,603
  • [2023-02-25] 22_34_57.978.png
    [2023-02-25] 22_34_57.978.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 4,812
  • [2023-03-05] 21_14_11.772.png
    [2023-03-05] 21_14_11.772.png
    29 KB · Views: 4,358
  • [2023-03-05] 21_16_12.133.png
    [2023-03-05] 21_16_12.133.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 4,335
  • [2023-03-05] 21_43_17.206.png
    [2023-03-05] 21_43_17.206.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 2,701
  • [2023-03-05] 22_38_15.415.png
    [2023-03-05] 22_38_15.415.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 4,385
  • [2023-02-12] 22_40_37.096.png
    [2023-02-12] 22_40_37.096.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 50,691
Last edited:

A¹¹

Novice
What does the current pokedex look like will it include pokemon from all generations or is it the same as vanilla snakewood?
So right now my plan is to make the dex mostly based on vanilla Snakewood (and the XtraSnakewood mod). However in vanilla only about half of the dex is available to the player, so I had to considerably increase the amount of encounters in the game.

Anyway about the dex size, I decided to not opt for a National Dex. It's just too much work and the game would be bloated with over 1000 Pokémon in such a small region that is Hoenn.

Anyway here is a Pokémon that is now available which was previously only mentioned:
Healmadio, previously only seen as an NPC in New Mauville, it's now an actually available Pokémon! It's a Ghost/Fairy type with Static, Healer and Triage as its abilities.

DanTheMan452

Rookie
I just discovered snakewood and played it and loved it. Seeing work on a remastered/updated version is AWESOME.Whats the current status? (I do however would love to see some modification in the story though - at the end).

And please during most boss fights the battle music was the "standard" one. e.g. when you talk with Senex before the fight you have this serious music but when the fight starts its just the usual battle music - this could be changed maybe

A¹¹

Novice
I just discovered snakewood and played it and loved it. Seeing work on a remastered/updated version is AWESOME.Whats the current status? (I do however would love to see some modification in the story though - at the end).

And please during most boss fights the battle music was the "standard" one. e.g. when you talk with Senex before the fight you have this serious music but when the fight starts its just the usual battle music - this could be changed maybe
Well, I wouldn't have expected to someone to find the game for the first time 11 years after it was released but I'm glad people still do.

For the progress, my current demo is mostly done (it goes up to the final Alicia battle on Meteor Falls). I just need to fix some mechanics after updating to Essentials 21, play-test both difficulty modes properly, finish a few sprites and ultimately wait for the plugins to update, which should take some weeks at least (doing everything alone gives me burnouts from time to time).

And yes, I'm trying to update the music, for the most part using ORAS soundtracks but better synchronized to the situation (for example, Verdanturf Ruins now use the Drought theme) with the occasional one from a different source.

About the story... I honestly have no idea. It's hard for me to sometimes get a grasp because of how used I am to the game and how far away we are from the end, but sporadically I do change certain dialogue and a few events so that they feel more cohesive.

Conclave

Rookie
Are you still taking help? and is there a discord server one can join for this hack's development?

A¹¹

Novice
Are you still taking help? and is there a discord server one can join for this hack's development?
Well, not really right now. I've got an artist to work with me and I don't actually feel like I need help with anything else. Thanks for asking though.

About a Discord server. I've been considering making one for a while, but I really don't want to bother managing and moderating a server so I've always stepped down on the idea.

Babushka

Rookie
In my opinion, you should change how the madios, or even other Pokémon, look. Their designs are kinda bland. Idk if this is supposed to be a faithful remake, but it would be nice if they were done prettier, with a better design

A¹¹

Novice
In my opinion, you should change how the madios, or even other Pokémon, look. Their designs are kinda bland. Idk if this is supposed to be a faithful remake, but it would be nice if they were done prettier, with a better design
Welp, I have good news for you!

Someone named Burgorton contacted me and send me some redesigns, we ended up talking for a while over the days and we managed to get a lot of redesigns for both the Fakémon and trainers, with the majority of them getting some sort of discussion or rough sketch.
1695822987685.png

Of course that's a lot of designs and it's taking a while to translate them into Sprites, so for now I'm showing one of the first which was shown and worked on, Vigourlan.
vigourlan.jpg
IMG_EB8FD931F2AE-1.jpg
F2340A93-43F5-48E9-8462-C7488821901D.jpeg

vigourlan2(1).png

The expansion of its concept was around the Insomnia it had, which completely stopped it from evolving into Slaking and awakened some sort of inner Psychic powers. Sadly as it was the first one I converted into a sprite, the quality is rather... subpar.

But anyway, I hope this answers your question! Recently we've been working on these for most days so there's a lot more to show in the future. Maybe as another post here or just in the upcoming beta? Honestly I don't know.

And as a remake the objective is to at least increase the quality of the designs and at most rework them completely. Snakewood is a very old game with very outdated designs, so it's certainly a challenge to re-imagine them while keeping the stupid 2011 concepts and make the game feel fresh yet familiar, thanks for asking!

Babushka

Rookie
Loved what you did with Vigourlan.

The only one you should keep untouched is Roclobster. Perfection doesn't need to change (jk). Although, I don't know if you have touched in the soundtrack, you could actually add samples of Rock Lobster into its battle theme.

Babushka

Rookie
Welp, I have good news for you!

Someone named Burgorton contacted me and send me some redesigns, we ended up talking for a while over the days and we managed to get a lot of redesigns for both the Fakémon and trainers, with the majority of them getting some sort of discussion or rough sketch.
View attachment 21582

Of course that's a lot of designs and it's taking a while to translate them into Sprites, so for now I'm showing one of the first which was shown and worked on, Vigourlan.

The expansion of its concept was around the Insomnia it had, which completely stopped it from evolving into Slaking and awakened some sort of inner Psychic powers. Sadly as it was the first one I converted into a sprite, the quality is rather... subpar.

But anyway, I hope this answers your question! Recently we've been working on these for most days so there's a lot more to show in the future. Maybe as another post here or just in the upcoming beta? Honestly I don't know.

And as a remake the objective is to at least increase the quality of the designs and at most rework them completely. Snakewood is a very old game with very outdated designs, so it's certainly a challenge to re-imagine them while keeping the stupid 2011 concepts and make the game feel fresh yet familiar, thanks for asking!
Another thing: will the sprites be animated or static?

A¹¹

Novice
Another thing: will the sprites be animated or static?
Static. Animating sprites is a huge amount of work and I would rather not submit myself to such task, some gen 5 sprites have over 60 frames and doing something like that sounds like a big waste of time.

Babushka

Rookie
Some re-designs for Snakewood Fakémon I've been thinking about:

Qwilshark: largely remains the same, Poison/Water type, however the design of the head and eyes now closely resemble the real life species of venomous sharks, the spurdogs:
images - 2023-09-30T122610.038.jpeg

Telson: ”Renamed into “Telsoldat”, typing is Steel/Water, and, instead of a Qwilfish reskin, it's now a horseshoe crab mixed with a German WW1 helmet.
images - 2023-09-30T123115.840.jpeg

images - 2023-09-30T122723.812.jpeg

Telsoldat evolves at level 40 and, if with its Physical Attack stat being higher than its defense, it becomes “Trilopodat”, a pure Steel which, design wise, is like Bisharp with a flat head and more arms. Trilopodat evolves at level 70 into “Kaiserod”, which is still pure Steel, whose head is now based on the Pickelhem, used by German authorities during the Great War:
images - 2023-09-30T124110.173.jpeg

HOWEVER, if Telsoldat has a Defense stat higher than its Attack, instead it evolves into “Mephishoe”, a Ground/Steel type which is a big, blocky horseshoe crab based on the A7V, German WW1 tanks, more particularly the sole surviving one "Mephisto":
800px-Mephisto_A7V_in_AWM_front_view.jpg

Skylax: Renamed into “Roslax”, largely stays the same, however with a brighter color palette (white for the body, light gold for the wings, eyes stay closed, but curved down so as it looks more “pleased”) and instead of the Sun Stone is evolves with the item “Bacchuberry”, a golden grapefruit-like berry that maximizes the happiness of any pokemon it is used on. They're rare to find, though. The “Ros-” part comes from Eros, god of Love, also known as Cupid, which evolved into the angelic "putto", those baby angels in paintings. It's also a reference to Dyonisius, god of pleasure and, honestly, laziness.
images - 2023-09-30T125825.120.jpeg

images - 2023-09-30T125910.059.jpeg

Toxeon & Demoneon: Toxeon is an easy one: Poison type with a goofy deep purple body.
Demoneon, on the other hand, is a trick one, as we already have Umbreon for Dark type and Flareon for Fire type. So, my idea is Demoneon, which, honestly, I want to rename to “Scourgeon”, is the Plague-type evolution and it's based on the Horsemen of the Apocalypse: red eyes, white tipped ears and tail, a green-yellow body and a black paws and claws.
images - 2023-09-30T131214.324.jpeg

Of course, these are just rough ideas which I would love to discuss. I don't have any talent for drawing, however, so I can only really help with throwing ideas and making concepts. Hope you liked these, I'll share more later.

A¹¹

Novice
Some re-designs for Snakewood Fakémon I've been thinking about:

Qwilshark: largely remains the same, Poison/Water type, however the design of the head and eyes now closely resemble the real life species of venomous sharks, the spurdogs:
View attachment 21656

Telson: ”Renamed into “Telsoldat”, typing is Steel/Water, and, instead of a Qwilfish reskin, it's now a horseshoe crab mixed with a German WW1 helmet.
View attachment 21657

View attachment 21658
Telsoldat evolves at level 40 and, if with its Physical Attack stat being higher than its defense, it becomes “Trilopodat”, a pure Steel which, design wise, is like Bisharp with a flat head and more arms. Trilopodat evolves at level 70 into “Kaiserod”, which is still pure Steel, whose head is now based on the Pickelhem, used by German authorities during the Great War:
View attachment 21661

HOWEVER, if Telsoldat has a Defense stat higher than its Attack, instead it evolves into “Mephishoe”, a Ground/Steel type which is a big, blocky horseshoe crab based on the A7V, German WW1 tanks, more particularly the sole surviving one "Mephisto":
View attachment 21662

Skylax: Renamed into “Roslax”, largely stays the same, however with a brighter color palette (white for the body, light gold for the wings, eyes stay closed, but curved down so as it looks more “pleased”) and instead of the Sun Stone is evolves with the item “Bacchuberry”, a golden grapefruit-like berry that maximizes the happiness of any pokemon it is used on. They're rare to find, though. The “Ros-” part comes from Eros, god of Love, also known as Cupid, which evolved into the angelic "putto", those baby angels in paintings. It's also a reference to Dyonisius, god of pleasure and, honestly, laziness.
View attachment 21663
View attachment 21664

Toxeon & Demoneon: Toxeon is an easy one: Poison type with a goofy deep purple body.
Demoneon, on the other hand, is a trick one, as we already have Umbreon for Dark type and Flareon for Fire type. So, my idea is Demoneon, which, honestly, I want to rename to “Scourgeon”, is the Plague-type evolution and it's based on the Horsemen of the Apocalypse: red eyes, white tipped ears and tail, a green-yellow body and a black paws and claws.
View attachment 21665

Of course, these are just rough ideas which I would love to discuss. I don't have any talent for drawing, however, so I can only really help with throwing ideas and making concepts. Hope you liked these, I'll share more later.
I do like the Qwilshark idea! Currently we were debating one inspired mostly on sawsharks due to the quills part of the pokemon so I'll keep it in mind. But sorry, I gotta be honest, the other ideas, specially the Telson one, seem a bit too radical and esoteric compared to the original game. I intended to not deviate that much from the source material, specially since we have base sketches for all of these already (and an almost finished new Demoneon sprite).

This is not to discourage you from having ideas and suggestions though! It's just that there are a lot of base sketches for remade Pokémon already (pretty much all of the Fakémon, with a few exceptions) and those above do somewhat conflict a bit with the game's philosophy. I hope this wasn't a too negative of a response and sorry for rejecting your concepts.

Babushka

Rookie
Nah, I figured that there might have been such rejection.
I think I was just being preposterous, as I wanted to give these seemingly random and baseless fakémon like Telson a deeper meaning, with more pokemon-like and dare I say "better" designs. I just don't want to come off as egotistical.
I understand: this is explicitly a remake, not a reimagination of the game. I think I just like to take these half baked ideas and make them into something new with my own ideas.

A¹¹

Novice
Excuse me, does this game have discord?
Well, not right now but I'm considering it. I've been asked this a lot on Discord so I was with it in mind there is technically one, but I'm the only one in there, but I really can't be bothered managing a whole server, even if small, with people I don't know. What I've been told and experienced from my friends who have games of their own kinda kills my mood about it.

Damoople

Rookie
Created an account to say I'm super excited for this!
Snakewood is my personal favorite rom hack, but I can't recommend it to anyone with how far Pokemon roms have gone in the past decade, not to mention the bugs and balancing.

A¹¹

Novice
Update thread!

Due to the lack of activity I've heard a few people say that the project is dead or that it's not going good so I might as well explain what we are doing currently!

First off, recently I did a Recruitment Thread and someone reached out to me so I might as well mention that @lichen volunteered herself to help with Stygian Snakewood as a Spriter!

Anyway about the current status of the game, the Demo I'm working in currently goes up to Meteor Falls Alicia, events up to the Monastery are finished and stuff beyond it is still WIP, almost every single battle is finished both for Vanilla and Lunatic modes and the maps are practically done, only needing a few fixes such as patching up visible map edges and balancing out item distribution, maybe even a few sidequests.

But for now even with that I'm uncertain if it's close to release, I'm still waiting for Plugins such as Lucidious' to update and in exactly a month I'm going to do a really important exam that I need to focus on.

Ironically though, even with the current demo not being released, we've been already planning what to do on the next demo, which is a major graphic overhaul to almost every single Fakémon, trainer or UI. And it's been going well so far so I might as well share some of the stuff that's already done (Note: they may or may not be already a thing on the next release)

1698413303171.png

Hombone! One of the Snakewood poster children, this redesign intends to make it look more like a Pokémon while retaining all of its original stupidity so that it doesn't feel like a different Fakémon. The current redesign is inspired by the Chinese Mitten Crab, Rock Crabs, rail-guns and tasers, which meant it got a retype to Rock/Electric, which also helped it differentiate from Golem. (Sprite by lichen, concept by burgorton).

1698413524165.png

Welp, this is a new face, here is Pcylet (originally Psylet), the pre-evolution of Pcypig (originally Psypig). The thought behind the redesign of it and Psypig was because of their dex entries mentioning how they were mafia pigs which robbed people so we thought and decided to do this redesign. To fit the thematic we also made them Fire/Dark instead of Fire/Psychic, renamed them to be instead of referencing "Psychic" they would reference the word "Cypher" and now technically they're convergent forms, thanks, Gen 9? (Sprite by me, concept/redesign by burgorton, original concept by GenDraconis)

1698414438888.png

And last but not least, another Snakewood poster child and the cover mascot of that unofficial Snakewood title screen (probably due to its sheer edginess from its concept and specially the Dex Entry). You might have seen this redesign before and you might know from where. This Sprite (originally animated) was made by the Youtuber and Spriter RetroNC which also had the effort to convert the first frame of the animation on an Essentials-friendly 96x96 (or 192x192) sprite. I'm really grateful he gave us permission to use his sprites and giving such credit is the least I could do.

So there are just some of the sprites that were remade, there are more, both in-game and (for now) just as concepts. Not all of them will be completely finished or may even fit well (for example, there isn't an updated Hombone backsprite yet) on the next Demo so for consistency they might or might not even be included on this release. Developing Stygian Snakewood has been a great experience and I hope you people are excited for it.

lige

Rookie
Excuse me, was it a complete release or a beta release when it was released?

A¹¹

Novice
Excuse me, was it a complete release or a beta release when it was released?
For Stygian Snakewood there were no releases, outside of closed demos. If you mean to ask if the release is going to be complete or a beta version. It's still incomplete, the game would only go up to Meteor Falls

A¹¹

Novice
Alright so this is a very big and important update thread to make up for the lack of updates.

First and foremost we do have an official Recruitment Thread if you're interested in helping, spriters are specially appreciated!

Also as I type this I've started my final and personal play-test, when I finish it then there will be the closed demo and hopefully finally the Public Release, which I'm extremely hyped to show, however this brings me to the main point of this point, the QoL and core gameplay changes.

I know they won't be for everyone, it would be impossible to do that. But I would want to hear opinions, DemICE's Exp System (it was used for Soulstones 2, if you're aware of that) means you can't really overlevel and it kinda encourages having 6 Pokémon early on, which can be a turn-off for people - although that hopefully won't be immediate on Vanilla mode, even though it's still kinda hard like the base game lol -, a player might feel like there is some wasted exp idk

Another problem is that I was influenced by games like Perish Song and others and some of the comments criticizing the original Snakewood that it doesn't feel dystopian/apocalyptic enough, so having limited resources made the experience very interesting and resource management became essential, the problem was that some parts could be problematic and Snakewood has quite a lot of free stuff (such as the free Pokéball on S.S Cangrejo that literally stop you from being soft-locked) but after reading some of the problems with this kind of stuff on the new Ashen Frost demo I'm kinda on the fence, thoughts on the matter?

Yet another subject that could split people is the current situation about zombies. Currently I'm unhappy with it, the Plague (formerly Disease, renamed because it wouldn't fit the damn UI) type is weak to Poison, Bug and Psychic (the main type of the starters and overall poor attacking types). While Pokémon with the "Zombie" flag deal increased damage but are unable to switch - which means a non-Plague Pokémon can be a Zombie and vise-versa, but usually Plague are zombies. Furthermore, Zombie Pokémon themselves are only able to be caught with a previously unused item in the original Snakewood named "Necro Ball", such method was chosen not only to make them more interesting but to be a middle ground of making them more accessible but still savage and not regular Pokémon

Overall, I never expected Stygian Snakewood to get this big, it first started as a joke on a friend group to make a Difficulty Mod for Snakewood, which then turned into a decomp hack because it turns out a 13 years old ROMhack has very little room for expansion, at the end turning into an Essentials Fan-game due to me being already considerably more experienced with it. At that point I went all way in to remake one of my favorite games of all time, specially after Burgorton contacted me, helped with literally dozens of redesigns (including a Title Screen, it should be finished in a few months at most) and made the game feel a lot more like a remake/re-imagination. But at the end it was still within the concept of a Difficulty Mod to be shared to my friends, Lunatic mode was the first to be worked in, had everything centered about it and it went from there, which can probably lead to problems in the future. Don't try to nuzlocke it, you will fail.

Regardless of it, as usual I'm going to show some screenshots, this time mostly Art-related but with other stuff as well (might contain spoilers?).

You couldn't battle him before, you can now!
View attachment 23864
Decided to redesign a few maps for fun, one of which would be the Solar Caverns, the new Granite Cave after it was apparently attacked by Groudon (probably an excuse to remove the need for Flash lol) so I decided to make it look a lot more volcanic (and with permanent sun-light because funny)
1704632970500.png

Recently there was a Twitch Plays Pokémon with Snakewood DX, a considerably modified version of Snakewood with bug-fixes, new zombies and new sprites, including a fan favorite in the Zombie Gastly line, which according to the Docs they're free to use so why not? Burgorton did redesign them for fun after all so here they are, new Ghastlier, Haunteyes and Gengaze!
1704630992500.png
One of the most interesting Snakewood decisions were the retypes, some were reasonable like Poison/Dark Seviper or even Fighting/Normal Hariyama, but a clear outlier was Ghost/Fighting, which made zero sense, so we decided to make it some sort of mutated Pokémon from the rifts that brought the Plague and others, so here it is a redesigned Banette! Based on the Japanese dolls "Wara ningyō" used to fight against evil spirits and plague.
1704631676679.png

Snakewood is a very infamous hack and a lot of people loved it, so naturally the concept of a remake for them appeared over and over, one of these was made by Kwenio (known for his character designs in romhacks like Unbound, Voyager and Gaia), who made a few-but-great redesigns, which I got permission to use (some, not all of them) like these Madio redesigns which may or may not be used! (currently debating, because they look like actual Pokémon unlike the terrible balls that were made for test, according to an AMA Cutlerine did on Reddit over a decade ago, you can comment your opinion here I guess)
1704632363778.jpeg

And while I thought first not to reveal it, he would've appeared in the Title Screen anyway so why not, here's a small (at first glance) but nice redesign of Senex made by Burgorton!
1704632638556.jpeg

To end things up, I've started to make a Google Docs for Stygian Snakewood, currently there is only the dex (made with stardex)
View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15THC3ds_Qbkc3Jrsbh5BXaKSGlbLbjgVIbsLhwL7IVI
Might add new/renamed moves and items later. Also the Dex is incomplete, probably 1-3 things will be added to it and about some of the weird types like the Electric/Dragon Zebstrika, basically Burgorton started giving me regional forms even though I wasn't a fan of them at the beggining but they grew on me and they won't really hurt. And I won't reveal the ??? Pokémon, they're a secret!

So basically, making Stygian Snakewood is being a great experience for me, with ups and downs ofc, but it helped me a lot specially since I spent the entirety of 2023 without a job or University and I hope y'all are going to have fun with it!

Last edited:
Back