• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed The Plan's Simple

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
title.png

"The plan's simple: you get in, get the goods, and get them back to me. Capiche?"

Summary:

Burglary, Betrayal, Mystery! Everything you want in a game.​

Play as Johannes, a talented thief and a master of disguise. After retiring from a modest, yet humble, life of crime, you are called back by an old acquaintance. When things go awry, you find yourself in a bigger game than you realized. Thrown into a life you thought you left behind, you find yourself recruiting your old team of Pokémon to complete five challenging jobs and clear your slate for good.
It would appear that you are not alone in your plight; letters addressed to you provides ominous warnings, but they are too vague to understand. What could they mean? What lies at the end of this mystery: freedom or danger?

Features:

• 3 customized minigames: D-Cypher Rotom, Lock Picking Klefki, and Light Tile Mr.Mime
  • Custom puzzles: ice slide, push tile, The World's Hardest Game remake, and MAZES (wow)!
  • 6 locations to heist
  • Hidden letter collectibles connected to subplot/post-game
  • No trainer battles
  • Quick and fun post-game
Apologies in advance for the post-game reward. I didn't really know what to put as a physical reward to the player.

Playtime: 1 hour (main story and post-game combined)

promo.png

Made Using Pokemon Essentials v20.1 on RPG Maker-XP

Team:​

Adel's Brother
FL

Content warnings: None! Clean language.

Some typos
Sometimes your head pokes out when walking under things
Let me know if you find any!

The inspiration for this game came to me while pondering the word "simple." "The plan's simple," being something a mastermind might say to their team of ne'er-do-wells before a big job seemed like a really fun idea. The D-Cypher minigame is something I had pondered for my own game, so this was a great excuse to actually make it.
I tried to insert some cool, funny, or just interesting flavor text, though I wish I had more time to do so.
If you play through as intended (not trying to intentionally break anything) it works fine. I have covered all the shenanigans I could think of, but my playtesting was limited, so it would be in both our interests if you did not try to crash the game.

THE PLAN'S SIMPLE
A Pokémon Fan Game

Made for Relic Castle Game Jame #8

Game Jam Development Team:
Adel's Brother
FL

Lead Developer:
Adel's Brother

Scripting Support:
FL

Made with public resources from:
-Tile Graphics-
Princess-Phoenix
Aveon-Trainer
Supercow
StarDewValley
Ausberge
Exiled-shadow
King-Tapir
MewTheMega
Thatssowitty
PureAzuure
Sefuree (reference)
AnonAlpaca
Phyromatical
Zetavares852

-Character Graphics-
Vanilla Sunshine
Mr. Gela
Neo-Spriteman
Purple Zaffre
Maicerochico
AtomicReactor
DiegoWT
redblueyellow

-Pokémon Sprites-
Smogon gen 8 Sprite Project
Smogon XY Sprite Project
Gen VI: DS-Style 64x64 Pokemon Sprite Resource

-Music & Sound Effects-
Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee
Pokémon Sun & Moon
Pokémon Black & White
Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, & Platinum
Pokémon X & Y
MezmerKaiser
SoundEffectsFactory

-Title Font-
Payday
whatfontis.com

-Fogs-
Adel's Brother

-Scripts-
FL

And a special thanks to Thundaga and his tutorial series

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
Golisopod User<s>Rataime
help-14<s>Savordez
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

In Memorium:
My sleep
My social life

Last edited:

Astefia

Cooltrainer
1660476522002.png

Softlocked. The lock picking minigame won't start, the security gurds are frozen in place after getting the Letter 2.
Possibly because the protagonist took mr.mime and not klefki?

Adel's Brother

Novice
Softlocked. The lock picking minigame won't start, the security gurds are frozen in place after getting the Letter 2.
Possibly because the protagonist took mr.mime and not klefki?
You are correct you need Klefki to lockpick. You can return later in the game. I will make this more clear.
I will look at why the guards stopped. Thanks fo letting me know

Astefia

Cooltrainer
You are correct you need Klefki to lockpick. You can return later in the game. I will make this more clear.
I will look at why the guards stopped. Thanks fo letting me know
After Johannes got caught ammediately after closing the letter 2, they are frozen and block the entrance to the elevator. Was I not supposed to do it this way?

Adel's Brother

Novice
This was a w
After Johannes got caught ammediately after closing the letter 2, they are frozen and block the entrance to the elevator. Was I not supposed to do it this way?
This was a weird bug, but I just fixed it if you are still stuck on it. Just get caught by a guard and the map will refresh.

I was excited to see this premise in action, and I had a lot of fun!
I'm a huge fan of ideas about using Pokemon's powers outside of battle, and you really delivered here! You've got a great selection of powers and scenarios to use them in, and the minigames are a great way of keeping the player still involved! And I LOVE the moves actually being new moves the Pokemon have learned, too! I was kind of hoping for a fight against Felix, I was so ready to spam them to make the most of the chance, haha.

You did a really great job developing the aesthetic for every location! The tiles and music are all very nicely put together, and the puzzles all fit in nicely! The wet floor sliding puzzle is my favorite, haha.

I was a little annoyed I couldn't cheese the tile puzzle by looking in the Graphics folder, but I have to commend you for taking that step, haha. (The graphic's really nice, too!)

I think the flavor text you did get to include was really fun! Some of my favorites -
  • The water bottle in the museum
  • The form in the hospital
  • Phil and his partner
  • Silly hats

Minor, but I like that you had the pressing up to read signs feature from FRLG! That should be more popular in fangames IMO.
On a similar note, I always appreciate running shoes at the start of a game!

That credits music for the postgame is the worst, I love it.
I feel like the "Made for Relic Castle Jam" and "Made with Essentials" lines could have just been part of the opening credits - it felt a little awkward having to click through them instead.

The save menu still displays badge count - I think it'd be fun to replace those with heist numbers or letter pages instead!

I kind of wish you could use the letters from the bag to look at them again. (Although, that's mostly because when I saw the first one, I thought the typo of "cought" was a clue, like, look for the misspelled letter in each page, find a hidden message 😅)

The first exit from Johannes' apartment feels a little fast - I kind of think the fade should be a little longer, so it's clear he's not just stepping out the door, but going all the way to the bank

The graphic for the D-Cipher instructions felt a little too simple, and it kind of stands out when it uses Arial instead of the usual Pokemon fonts. (I kind of feel like just switching the fonts and doing it in Rotom's colors would make it feel pretty different?)

I don't think Felix gave any details about what heists were planned for each location? I mean, it's easy to guess from where you're going, haha, but I was kind of hoping for quick little blurbs to have a little more info.

This is kind of nitpicky, but it feels weird that Johannes uses an elevator to sneak up to the second floor - seems like an elevator moving would be a little conspicuous to the guards, haha.

1662201727764.png
1662201734685.png

Maybe it's just me, but I felt like the top left and top right corners of the tile puzzle were just similar enough that it was kind of hard to tell the correct form on my first attempt. (It's not a big deal, though, since it's pretty easy to guess which tiles to swap)

There's a couple places where you have lists of things, but they're on the same two lines? With a combination of the \l[[x] and \n commands, you can make them display in more of a list format, like this
1662203505037.png

There's a few points where it feels like NPCs would comment on Johannes using his Pokemon's powers - most commonly with Zorua's transformations (I kept thinking I was going to need to hide somewhere to use the transform first), but occasionally in some other spots as well, like wandering the hospital with Light Screen on, or going behind the glass in the prison with a guy on the other end.

The railroading felt a little odd at times - Johannes would comment that he wished he'd brought some other mon, but then say at home that he shouldn't take more than he needs, but still take Pokemon from past heists... I dunno what I'd suggest as an alternative, though, because I definitely liked being able to collect letters without backtracking too much, so I don't think restricting the player to one Pokemon at a time would be the solution...

This might have just been me, but I was expecting the vents turning purple to be a minigame of some sort? I went around and turned them all purple before realizing that I just had to interact with the vent, haha.

Johannes kind of reverts to a silent protagonist when meeting the contact in the prison - the other guy does the "Wow, and (repeats what you said)?" kind of thing. It felt a little out-of-place, since Johannes speaks for himself pretty much everywhere else.

Nitpicky, but Felix's guards felt a little too casual as they pushed Johannes back to the front.

I wish Johannes interacted a little more with Ziggy in his apartment! We definitely get some great bonding moments between them during and after the kidnapping, but apart from the first scene of the game, I don't think the two really interact? I feel like the repeated "Finish my next mission" cutscene in between heists could be switched out for something showing Johannes talking with Ziggy. (maybe even have him reflecting a bit on what he's just done, too)

I think it'd be nice to have the option to put the numbers in via keyboard instead of just scrolling, it felt a little clumsy after a bit.

The tip about putting in one number kept appearing - I think it appears after about 5 attempts? The trouble is, if you take its advice like I did, and you go through 0000, 1111, 2222, etc., you'll go through 10 attempts, which is definitely enough to trigger the message again, where it helpfully suggests you do the exact method you're trying now. I think it'd be best to just have it in the bank level, and then turn it off for the rest of the game.

Asking "Continue?" after each attempt slowed down the process a bit - I think it'd be better to just let the player use X/Esc to exit out, and just sort of assume that they're going to try again otherwise. (I guess that might require some reworking of the number-entering function, though...)

I wish there was some display of a few of the player's last attempts - they can just use notepad or something, of course, but it feels a little weird IMO.
I picked the museum first, and Johannes didn't do the "I should take this Pokemon" thing - I just interacted with the table and got Mr. Mime. (Maybe I was supposed to try to leave first, and then he'd say he needed Mr. Mime?)

1662199737393.png

1662199751136.png

Don't think this is intentional - since the choices isn't directly after a text command, it displays here

couple in Warren Peace doesn't turn to face you?
1662199565075.png

Priority error when walking through

1662199585950.png

1662199591042.png

I wasn't sure if this one was intended, but the other roots aren't passable, so I figured I'd mention it.
1662199619166.png

1662199625581.png
1662199632216.png
1662199669875.png
1662199678339.png

1662199683820.png

Missing upper-right corner
1662199703860.png

Priority

1662199716507.png

1662199725123.png
  • Urgh,who's calling - maybe it's just italics, but I think there's a missing space after comma
  • Listen Kid - Listen, kid -
  • Now, I know what - looked like there were two spaces after "I"
  • hmmm. I need to - hmmm was a sentence on its own, but it wasn't capitalized
  • you've cought his attention - caught
  • that's wierd - weird
  • I cut the power to the alarm so we can take our time - I cut the power to the alarm, so we can
  • Ah Johnny, Ah, Johnny
  • You said you would do me this favor and yet - do me this favor, and yet
  • Hey kid, - Hey, kid
  • he didn't waist any time - waste
  • do all 3 three heists - 3 is written twice, as a number and a word
  • Oh and the fourth job - Oh, and the fourth job
  • It's your fault he's there anyway - he's there, anyway.
  • So where are you heading first? - So, where are you heading
  • Go get 'em kid - Go get 'em, kid
  • Good work kid - Good work, kid
  • Now where should I go next? - Now, where should I go next?
  • sticking it's tongue out - its tongue
  • Congradulations - Congratulations
  • bidding on an NTF - I think that should be NFT, unless there's a joke I'm missing
  • Were are doing important - We're doing important or We are doing important
  • Well that's what my - Well, that's what my
  • Sorry Sir - Sorry, Sir
  • by Wednesday night and I'm starting to panic - Wednesday night, and I'm
  • Some one left their bag - Someone left
  • That's a cleaver prank! - clever prank
  • Oh, Phill, Honey - honey shouldn't be capitalized
  • intelectual property - intellectual
  • Pokéballs, Adult beverages - Poké Balls
  • Morningt Lieutenant - Morning, Lieutenant
  • Move along prisoner - Move along, prisoner
  • loosing the money - losing the money
  • before we leave you need to - before we leave, you need to
  • Once you do that we can - Once you do that, we can
  • health insurance info is back and I hear - is back, and I hear
  • lets dip - let's dip
  • I'M HOMME - I wasn't sure if the second M was intentional?
  • Hey there Johnny boy - Hey there, Johnny boy
  • Nah forget that - Nah, forget that
  • I'm comming for you Ziggy - I'm coming for you, ZIggy
  • blaster trash theif! - thief
  • That's good to here. - That's good to hear.
  • you want to steal somethiing - something
  • Oh boy - Oh, boy
  • Those gaurds wouldn't - guard
  • Have Zorua immitate - imitate
  • Evening Boss - Evening, Boss
  • The patents are here too! - are here, too!
  • delete the digital copies too - copies, too
  • Well that was easy. Where to next Ziggy? - Well, that was easy. Where to next, Ziggy?
  • You should try to too - try to, too
  • Then lets go home- let's go home
  • spare Pokeballs - Poké Balls
  • colonialist practist - practice
  • Well Ziggy - Well, Ziggy
  • Congradulations! - Congratulations!
  • from the tilte screen - title screen

Just finished streaming the game! Had a great time!
Some thoughts:
I really like the unique gameplay of this fangame, all the minigames were fun and engaging. And I find fangames that mix it up by using gameplay other than battling to be so interesting!

The story itself was a nice little treat, going through various locations, pulling heists, it is a cool prompt for the game and I think it was well executed.

Some more specific notes:
-I love the intro to the game, how "The Plan's Simple" is worked into the conversation, it felt really cool and set the tone for the game.
-I loved the diversity of the tiles, and in particular, all the Galarian Zigzagoon tiles! So cute!
-The pay off for the post game was... well honestly, amazing. I loved "that track" that played in the alternate credits. It was actually quite a nice remix and a pleasure to listen to.
-I loved how the game really encourages the use of pen and paper, it's always fun when a puzzle pushes you like that.

Keep up the good work, this game was great to play :)

Hey there, I made a video on your game that you can find here. That video explains everything in more detail but I'll put some of my thoughts here.

I really enjoyed this game! I think the puzzles and minigames are definitely the best part, and I thought they were pretty clever and well-thought out. Other than that, I really enjoyed the dialogue too. I think that your style of lighthearted, joke-stuffed dialogue really fit this game. I have a few nitpicks about the story that I talked about in the video, but overall that was really my only issue with the game. Great job!

Adel's Brother

Novice
Hey there, I made a video on your game that you can find here. That video explains everything in more detail but I'll put some of my thoughts here.

I really enjoyed this game! I think the puzzles and minigames are definitely the best part, and I thought they were pretty clever and well-thought out. Other than that, I really enjoyed the dialogue too. I think that your style of lighthearted, joke-stuffed dialogue really fit this game. I have a few nitpicks about the story that I talked about in the video, but overall that was really my only issue with the game. Great job!
Wow, this is so cool! I didn't expect to get any publicity over a tiny little game like this.
It's great to hear your thoughts on what worked and what could be improved and I am glad you enjoyed it. I found your critiques insightful and will keep them in mind in my future work.
; )

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
Amazing game! The dialogue, the character, and the map designs are very nice, I absolutely adore it when people stray away from the normal pokemon adventure and do something different and unique!

Coming from someone who hates puzzles and codes, this game can really pull it off! Definitely a worthy play

Last edited:

bobdog

Novice
Feedback after playing: Great game, loved it. A bit shorter than expected, and the
enemies running back and forth like in the museum and felix's hideout were kinda scuffed and save scumming worked wonders.
Overall 8/10.
Bugs:
In the lab, in the room with the burnt out guy you can just walk into the walls. Like inside of them. The arrow is my character.
1685665023461.png

1685664893908.png
1685664905463.png

Agniko Fireking

That One Pyro
Not sure why, but for some reason, the id card in the prison isn't interactable for me. Would screw me out of the true ending if I didn't know my way around a save file, so you might wanna look into that.

Back