• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Outburst

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
Pokémon Outburst - Demo

title.png

Recently, Pashen City has been affected by outbursts from Wild Pokémon, and authorities
have contacted a local group of professors and researchers to look into why
Wild Pokémon have been acting up.

Play as Professor Oak and explore the area around Pashen City for answers!

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png
Screenshot_6.png

Plot Point: "Technical Difficulties"
Key Character: "Professor"

Made Using:
Pokémon Essentials
RPG Maker XP

Team:
@Cadeorade5
@Falcon
@Haunted Ditto
@Naclov

As always, I (Cade) had a blast working on this game with everyone! This demo is short but I think it really shows the potential
that this game has for the future. As it always seems to happen near the end of jams, everyone's live suddenly becomes
really busy and it's tough to finish the game, but I would still say that our team is proud of the outcome of this game, and
the door is definitely open for more progress to be made on this game.

Team
Cadeorade5
FlamingFalcon
Haunted Ditto
Topher

Music
Intro - Kalos Power Plant from Pokémon X & Y
Pokémon Center - Pokémon Center (Night) from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Looped by ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library
Pashen City - Skyloft Orchestrated Cover from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Arranged by ClefferNotes
Canora Pass - Route 34 from Pokémon Hear Gold and Soul Silver, Looped by ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library
Wild Pokémon - Wild Pokémon from Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Wild Pokémon Defeated - Capture Success! from Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Trainer Battle - Shake Me Baby from Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
Trainer Battle Won - Victory! (Trainer Battle) from Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Looped by ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library
Canora Forest - Foggy Forest from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Sheho Town - Cherrygrove City from Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Looped by ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library
Moen Research Lab - Pewter City from Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Looped by ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library

Tiles
Ekat
Vurtax
Heartlessdragoon
thedeadheroalistar
Alistar
Slimshady
Aveontrainer
Pokémon Dawn
Puggsoy
Redblueyellow
dragoon

Emote Animation Graphics
Thundaga
Pokémon Splice Team

Title Screen
KokinhoKokeiro
Luka S.J.

Battle UI
mustafa505
Haunted Ditto
Aveontrainer
Luna Madellena
DeadHeroAlistair
The Acanthite Project
Cope

"RSE NPC Overworlds"
Nintendo
GameFreak
FursTheFox
soulcaliburfan
Marnic
_pheebs

"Gen 4 and Gen 5 Trainers in Gen 3 overworld style"
Mashirosakura
Young-Dante

"Pokémon SM/USUM Characters and Trainers OW Sprites in Gen III Style"
Droid779

Other OWs
AveonTrainer

"Voltseon's Pause Menu" v1.7
Voltseon
Golisopod User
ENLS

"Overworld Shadows EX" v1.0.1
Golisopod User
Marin
WolfPP

"Modern Quest System + UI"
ThatWelshOne_
mej71
derFischae
Marin

"Name Windows" v19
mej71
Vendily
theo#7722

"Generation 8 Project" v1.1.2
Battler Sprites
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project

Overworld Sprites
Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer

Icon Sprites
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon

Cry Credits
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
PBS Credits
Golisopod User, Zerokid, TheToxic, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier

Script Credits
EBS Bitmap Wrapper - Luka S.J.
Gen 8 Scripts - Golisopod User, Maruno, Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier

Compilation of Resources
Golisopod User, UberDunsparce

Porting to v19
Golisopod User, Maruno

Pokémon Essentials and RMXP
Pokémon Essentials was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

MKXP-z by:
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby, Marin, Boushy
MiDas Mike, Brother1440, FL.
PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, help-14
Rataime, IceGod64, Savordez, SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta
Wachunga, Lisa Anthony, Venom12, Near Fantastica, Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

RPG Maker XP by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Last edited:

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Just finished the game! Here are my thoughts!
It was a really nice game, the team did a great job! I don't have too much to say, it was really enjoyable and I loved the outbreak news report at the beginning lol! Only nitpick, where's WYRDEER?!?! Jk lol, good job!

Hey! I just finished playing, it took me about an hour!

Pros:
  • The news report intro was a nice way to start the game!
  • The custom sprites are really well made!
  • The mapping was good. Excellent use of Ekat's tiles.
  • A good selection of Pokémon.
  • I loved the jumping Wooper in the fountain.
  • I enjoyed the writing. Some dialogue felt a little lengthy at times but the emoticons definitely helped!
  • Other additions such as the custom UI, quest system, overworld encounters made the game feel fresh and polished!
  • Flavour text 👍 👍
Cons:
  • I liked the trainer rematches, but overall I felt like there were too many trainer battles.
Team so far:
outburst.png

I enjoyed the game! The premise is intriguing, and I'm interested to see where this goes next! I know that you were super busy during the jam, Cade, so I'm surprised you managed to create such a polished demo with such little time!

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
Just finished the game, I'll drop some thoughts below!

Right away, I love that we were playing as a younger Oak. It was really cool to be able to put ourselves in those shoes. The way the game was set up was nice and engaging, too--I liked the news reports and all that, it kept my attention. There were some other parts of the game, like when 5 people were in a room talking without much movement or imagery on the screen, that kind of lost me a bit, but generally I had a good time following the set-up.

The quest system seems like it works well! It did a good job of keeping me on task--I nearly left the lab without getting everything, but knowing that my quest wasn't updated, I stuck around. So kudos on that.

The number of trainers were definitely overbearing at times--I was happy that in the final area with trainers I was able to forgo them by going to the right. I did think the rebattling on the way back was a clever idea, although it ended up feeling a little frustrating too. I had actually run out of pokeballs, and all my pokemon but my rotom had fainted, so I was trying my best to avoid trainers where possible--especially when my rotom ran out of offensive moves! (In a future update, if you could add some elixirs or other PP restoring items to the bag, that would be great ;) )

I liked the selection of pokemon in the forest--I kept seeing new ones each time I went into an area. I wasted all my pokeballs trying to catch a galarian farfetch'd to no avail, but I also got a Wooper, Munchlax, and Pancham!

Overall, this game felt nice to play, the level of polish was great, especially for a jam game, and I'm on my toes to see what will come next in this story! Great job!

This was a really nice little demo of what's to come! There was a lot of small things that were well done which contributed to just a clean experience overall.
The intro was really well done, I love the young oak graphics, the tileset choice is really nice, the mix of overworld and grass encounters is cool, starting with a bunch of items was nice, the mapping was really well done, I love the idea of Pashen city and out of everything I think I'm most excited to see the other parts of it, and damn that quest system is super clean and nice (love you wooper, I'm glad you enjoyed the fountain).

Not a lot else for me to say, I hope in the future updates we get to see more of the other scientists and see their characters a bit more. I think others have already commented on it but the amount of trainers felt a bit much, but honestly didn't really stop me from having fun with this little demo. Good job! You and your team made quite a clean experience despite being rushed for time, so that's pretty amazing.

Back