• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

What's your most ambitious idea for your fangame you fear Essentials might not be able to do?

thebigguy270

Novice
Hey guys, do you have any ideas for your fangames you're concerned are too ambitious for Essentials? Like, it would take enormous changes to the engine just to pull it off?

EdgyBoi

Rookie
Not exactly something that Essentials could not pull off but something I want but probably cant pull off because of my still low skill level at programming.

I really wanted a combo system. For example using Electric move after water would buff the electric move. Conversely using Fire move after water move would nerf it.

Rashi

The Bird Keeper
I have thought of making a lot of new changes and features as I will love to have in a Pokemon game.

They feel like essentials can't do it but I think it's mainly because my skill of programming.

One of them is making battles more fun and try adding something more to it that brings more difficultty and complexity from game design perspective. For example:- Limited health restore items usage for both battlers, Speed system like in Pokemon Master (can be turned off or on), etc.

Astralneko

Novice
There are a fair few features I want to include in my fangame project, including some brain puzzlers like how to make it so that a Pokémon like Pikachu or Togepi that has (will have, in the case of Togepi) a regional variant Evolution can Evolve into the form not found in the region, but I think I've figured that one out.

I think the one I want to include the most is also the least likely for me to be able to code in or to get to work at all would have to be a Pokémon Race minigame. A main theme of my project from the backend standpoint is including things that I think should have been in the 3DS era or that I liked from the 3DS era. Pokémon racing is something I thought would have been a thing in XY (your mother is cited as a Rhydon racer multiple times, and you get to ride several Pokémon, including Rhydon, during your travels in the Kalos region) but that unfortunately never happened, so I wanted to include it in my fangame, but I have next to no idea how to do so lmao. I do have overworld sprites for every Pokémon due to the follower feature, so my problem isn't in spriting, but in coding - I have no clue how to go about making Super Pokémon Kart lmao.

Astefia

Cooltrainer
My idea is the one I like to see implemented in many RPGs - the speed system like in Crystal Story 2 or even Child Of Light.
The battlers move with varying speeds (depending on, well, Speed) on the initiative bar. When your battler reaches the end, the game Pauses (important! to not cause anxiety and kill the strategizing!) and allows to choose the action.

Also Soaring like in ORAS.

ZeDivingDutchman

Novice
Ive been trying to increase the games screen size, while not zooming out the map and as result lagging the game. The option to do so seems so simple but Im an idiot and cant get it to work. I think most of us agree that Essentials can do everything, its just that WE cant haha

Leondrea

Trainer
I've been trying to make a fan game based on X and Y, I stopped working on it because I'm not good at making multiple protagonists
I wanted to add the same amount of skin colours the game X & Y had to offer. The character overworlds are done, just the metadata.txt
file I edited gave me some big errors, that I can't fix. I'm also the only one person on developing this fan game.

I actually wanted to add gen 4 tilesets and gen 4 characters but I'm at the time I couldn't find any characters of Serena and Calem
in gen 4 graphics + riding graphics of them, so I had to stay with the gen 3 graphics...

As I couldn't fix the error with the Metadata.txt, I started another project Pokémon Sword and Shield PC Version and fixing the story of the original game
that was inspired by a youtube video from ItsYourPalJacob, that I wanted to add in the project. The Tileset I'm using right now is from Vanilla Essentials and some tiles I've made by myself. In future I want to add the Galar Tileset from the deviantartists that made so beautiful tiles from galar into my fangame. I actually wanted to add gen 4-ish style tileset and characters, but I can't find any characters of the protagonists in gen 4 style, just in gen 5... Then, I'm making this all alone....

In 2018 I was doing another project thats unfinished and I lost the project due to computer problems, the project was about Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in gen 4 styled Tileset and characters and it would be the same like the original games, but I stopped working on it because I lost the stuff and I was doing another project (starting to do) Lets go, Pikachu and Eevee PC Version with gen 3 tilesets, characters and Pokémon just appearing on the overworld, I have the project still saved in my google drive, I stopped working on it because there was an error within the Pokémon following and the pokemon on the overworld and I have little experience about Eventing myself, so I stopped working on it and I'm the only one doing this, I have no one helping me.

Also, maybe in future I want to transfer the lets go eevee project into Essentials v19, I have to redo everything again in Essentials v.19 or else I want to add Gen 4 characters, but there are no protagonist/girl riding on Pokémon in gen 4 style. So I have to stick with the gen 3 characters and tilesets.

With Sword and Shield I'm at Slumbering Weald and there's a problem with the event, it loops again when the player steps at the event again, idk what else to do, I have so much time but Idk what to do with all this time I have left...

bassplayer

Novice
Honestly, after playing PLA, a lot of things, mostly an actual overworld engaging playstyle. I'm pretty sure RPG Maker can't create even a 2D overworld Mon that can actually attack you, and give the player commands to dodge, sneak etc.

Beyond this, there are a lot of modifications I would like to perform that I'm not capable of coding, like a more seamless interface (more pop-up notifications) and a adapted Agile/Strong battle style.

mindbender12

Novice
I’d love to have images for important events, however, I’m terrible at drawing making this, (and custom designs) impossible.

Astralneko

Novice
Honestly, after playing PLA, a lot of things, mostly an actual overworld engaging playstyle. I'm pretty sure RPG Maker can't create even a 2D overworld Mon that can actually attack you, and give the player commands to dodge, sneak etc.
RPG Maker XP definitely could do that. Say, if an enemy event tries to move into the player, using the Change HP event object if the player does not dodge the attack correctly. However, Essentials by default ignores the player's statistics and any event scripts that modify them (as the player normally cannot battle, there is no need). But, it should be possible to undo that.

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
Ever played Dragon Quest Sentinels Of The Starry Skies?

I'd love a 3D game with 2D sprites, but I don't know if Pokemon Essentials can handle that.

TooMuchWater

Novice
Trainers with procedurally generated teams, EV training mini games, revives that can only be used outside of battle, and that’s about it

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
Here's something ambitious I'd love to see in Pokemon Essentials.

You see how the battlers are facing each other in this video, with one character mirrored so they face each other? And how the ground they stand on is represented as visually interesting squares, which could be used to indicate Grassy/Psychic Terrain/Spikes/etc? And how they actually hit each other?

That's something I doubt I'll ever see in Pokemon Essentials. But it would be amazing to see a game with the graphical fidelity of this old GBA game.

Sipondo

Don't Go, Pikachu! & Ulix Dexflow framework
Here's something ambitious I'd love to see in Pokemon Essentials.

You see how the battlers are facing each other in this video, with one character mirrored so they face each other? And how the ground they stand on is represented as visually interesting squares, which could be used to indicate Grassy/Psychic Terrain/Spikes/etc? And how they actually hit each other?

That's something I doubt I'll ever see in Pokemon Essentials. But it would be amazing to see a game with the graphical fidelity of this old GBA game.
Check out Dexflow and the game we made with it for the jam, while not completely the same it might scratch that itch you got for those battles. :)

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
That looks awesome! Does Dexflow have a "Pokemon face each other like MVC2 Characters and GBA Fire Emblem characters" mode?

Come to think of it, without many artists on the team or a massive community effort to draw Fire Emblem-style physical attack and special attack animations for each Pokemon, it might only be feasible to animate Fakemon like that in a game with a small number of Fakemon. But still, it would look cool.

neoncityrain

Trans and proud
As a pixel artist, the size of the sprites VERY much matters in that context, but it'd be pretty easy to do something like that- in fact, easier than it'd be to do so for the current layout of battles, since perspective isn't as much of a worry. The issue would be coding it in, but with plugins like EBDX existing, it'd most definitely be possible.

Personally, I'd love to see something PMD-esque, but anything PMD I've seen either is rom hacking (I've done a fair bit of it myself) or very much not put together.

Sipondo

That looks awesome! Does Dexflow have a "Pokemon face each other like MVC2 Characters and GBA Fire Emblem characters" mode?

Come to think of it, without many artists on the team or a massive community effort to draw Fire Emblem-style physical attack and special attack animations for each Pokemon, it might only be feasible to animate Fakemon like that in a game with a small number of Fakemon. But still, it would look cool.
That's something that can be easily arranged; one can freeze the camera in such a way that the battlers are horizontal from each other. :)

I'm back from vacation in about a week, can demo what I mean once I'm back if you want!

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
That's something that can be easily arranged; one can freeze the camera in such a way that the battlers are horizontal from each other. :)

I'm back from vacation in about a week, can demo what I mean once I'm back if you want!
That would be awesome! How would you get both Pokemon to use their front-facing sprites, flipping one so they both face each other?

Sipondo

Yeah we could suppress the flipping of sprites making them only face us.

Keep in mind that Dexflow is very much still in development so some features may not be done yet but coming soon.

Back