• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed PS: Time's Edge

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
Postscriptum: Time's Edge

qJ50kWU.png

Description:

In the richest half of the poorest city on earth, a very unfortunate man is driven to catastrophy in part due to his own choices. With cloudy judgement, and perception askewed, he climbs over the big fence technically separating the two halves, which actually leads to the long-gone, destroyed center of the city. Among the garbage in the abandoned construction site, the machinery, and his inner emptiness, he sits there, unmoving. But his body is yet to give up, and suddenly, the bouncing echo of a growling stomach ignites his dopamine receptors yet again. With a mindset stuck on his "late" age, and a complete lack of will for anything, will he ever manage to rekindle the fire of life once lost?

Welcome to Northern Artemisia, where everything runs like clockwork, where efficiency, happiness, and freedom comprise the pride of its citizens.
Assume the role of Arthur, a man with nothing to lose, on a quest that involves nothing particularly exciting.

Actual Features:

• Do mundane tasks that will probably not yield you much money
  • Get some work experience
  • Relive past memories
  • Meet people you haven't met before, mostly
  • Run into someone you'd never expect could change the tides of fate
  • And if you are lucky, perhaps learn what role Pokemon serve in that part of the world?
Technical Features:

• a custom, original OST (wait that's two "originals", right?)
  • original animated character portraits
  • 16.2 times the detail
  • a minimum number of at least 2 jokes (humor discretion advised)
  • a large number of distinct minigames
  • a closed-world, railroaded experience

Screenshots:

wPjfQWs.png

Download: (2.0)

Made Using:

RPG MAKER XP

Pokemon Essentials v 18.1,

Team:
AenannonDogsky
Ray
Sandy
Manul

Notes:
This game includes a lot of minigames that where made with eventing only, so if you wanna see how they were made simply drop an .rxproject file into the main folder and check it out for yourself! Let me know if there are more efficient ways to implement minigames like these, or if there were any mistakes!

The crashing has been fixed, but if you are still having problems please let us know.

Resource Pack:

Credits:
Links to public resources included in Credits.txt file with the game and resource pack.

====TESTING, FEEDBACK AND IDEAS=======
Manul
Ray
Sandy

============POST-JAM BUGHUNTING=========
  • Water
  • Yrgulian
  • Demice
  • ReposefulPallas
  • Prajwal_17
  • Erun
  • Kessh
  • Ntc

================== ESSENTIALS =================

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
help-14<s>Rataime
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

====SCRIPTS====

That Welsh One: Item Crafting System + Interface

NettoHikari = Multiple Protagonists Script

QTE Minigame Eventing : hiddenone

Following Pokemon EX (mostly resources) Golisopod User, Help-14, Rayd12smitty, mej71, PurpleZaffre, Akizakura16, Thundaga, Amrin (Fairies Resource Pack)

Mr. Gela's Name Windows https://www.eeveeexpo.com/resources/197/

Mr. Gela's Portraits in Messages https://www.eeveeexpo.com/resources/23/

==== TILESETS ====

Gamefreak

Gen 4 Tileset - LotusKing

Interior Tilesets - Akizakura16

Gen 5 Tileset - (Alucus, Kyle Dove, Dewitty, CNC, zetavares852)

BW BUILDINGS TILESET - Wesley FG

BW NATURE TILESET - Wesley FG

Gen 5 tiles - Ultimospriter

Hydrasis - Hospital part 1

Cafe, Restaurant, Bar Tiles - PeekyChew

Hi-Res Interiors - Akizakura16

Public Interior Tileset - ThatsSoWitty

Tileset Ver. 3 - Magiscarf

HGSS Tiles - Cleystation (zetavares852, Gardevoir2203, EpicDay, Dewitty)

Essentials Default Tilesets (FR/LG, Gamefreak)

Dot Day18 - Dark Ruins Tileset - Phyromatical (magiscarf, evolina, midnitez-remix, phyromatical)

=================== SPRITES ===========================

- Gen 5 OW Pack, Spriter's Resource - rips of overworld sprites, Radical Raptr - compilation and creating RMXP ready spritesheets

- Hoenn People OW in BW style WesleyFG (public as stated in his comment, but permission also granted anyway)

- Enterbrain RMXP RTP

- Resources | Food and Objects - mimihgfh

- Resources | Food and Objects 2 - mimihgfh

- Follower Pokemon Charsets (Taken from Thundaga's Tutorials, probably originally ripped from Spriters Resource?, No other credit is mentioned in the files)

- Primal Dialga PMD ET/D rip (Naokohiro) recolor by redblueyellow

- Shadow Groudon, SnakeMasterz

==================== PORTRAIT BASE =======================
Nephae's Sun and Moon, and X and Y pixel tracing of VS sprites (Gamefreak)

=========== FOGS ============

- standard RMXP grey fog, edited (Enterbrain)

- Simple Colored Particle Lights - pauliuw

========== FONTS ===============

- Greek House Symbolized

=========== MUSIC =================
- Ai vis lo lop, 13th-14th century composition, (remade), Final Battle

=================SOUNDS======================
mixkit free dog sound effects - dog sad whimper, happy puppy barks

Post-Jam Bugfixing Changelog:
v1.1
  • Fixed a small bug making Samantha appear when getting Arthur to job
  • Fixed grabbing the box with the lights out not turning said lights on
v1.2.
- Fixed a tile bug in a construction site building

v1.3
- Fixed a small tile bug in a southern building

v1.4
  • Added a couple more savepoints
  • Added missing door SE
  • Reduced volume of Liepard's cry
  • Fixed an NPC shadow
  • Fixed lingering SE post-boss fight
  • Refined cutscene flow
  • Fixed a whole bunch of typos and some grammar
  • Fixed a couple of tile errors
  • Fixed lingering rain BGS
  • Split starting map into two non-connected maps to increase performance
  • Corrected some cutscene and transition mistakes
v 1.5

• fixed crashing, game should no longer crash. Nameboxes have been removed for now. Please let me know if there's any problem
  • fixed Samantha's dragging sprite pixel problem
  • fixed typos
  • fixed a couple of bugged tiles in the sewers
  • fixed glitchy green goal tile
  • fixed worker not turning right to face player upon completion of minigame
  • fixed facing direction when looking away in sewer
  • fixed wonky interior carpet tile
  • fixed wrong portrait during in an NPC dialogue
  • fixed a couple of wonky building tiles
  • fixed follower not appearing instantly after two particular cutscenes
  • fixed customer not looking at you during the delivery quest
  • fixed music not fading out before the transition to the garden
  • fixed improper spot respawining in B3F
  • fixed an event late-game not turning to face the player
  • fixed a background panorama minor pixel problem
  • fixed Samantha walking sprite shadow error
  • fixed extra ellipses
  • fixed arthur not turning to face samantha during the claw scene
  • fixed interaction with claw indicator not showing anything pre-samantha
  • altered opening scene without infringing on Jam Rules (due to similarities with a pre-existing story approach).
  • removed unecessary pbs listings, and footprint icons
  • included the PBS files which I forgot to do for the previous versions, so most people won't have problems if they want to mess with the game

v 1.6
  • fixed typos

v1.7
  • should have taken care of the vast majority of crashes

v1.8
  • fixed arthur's OW bug
  • fixed dialogue bold formatting issue
  • fixed credits scene not returning to title screen
  • fixed skyscraper tile passability bug
v. 2.0
  • Fixed 1.9 stem event menu and interaction freeze
  • Reworked much of the janky writing, but kept the unique parts
  • Fixed being able to save during the waiter minigame
  • Added a prompt informing the player they may hold down X to skip button mashing during the dishwashing minigame
  • Added prompt informing the player they need to interact with the boxes first in order to push them
  • Added prompt implying switching to Samantha to see where you're going
  • Made an actual cutscene for Arthur's old friend
  • reduced required amount of button mashing for minigame
  • fixed some volume discrepancies
  • removed some pillars that were obstructing game flow in old artemisia
  • fixed incorrect intro scene portrait

Last edited:

YoshiyaMinamimoto

Rookie
Is the Soundtrack gonna appear in Youtube? Im playing the game and im really enjoying it, and one of the reasons beeing the soundtrack! That city-Jazz is a real banger, and i need it in my youtube music playlist. I tried searching it up, but didnt found anything

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Is the Soundtrack gonna appear in Youtube? Im playing the game and im really enjoying it, and one of the reasons beeing the soundtrack! That city-Jazz is a real banger, and i need it in my youtube music playlist. I tried searching it up, but didnt found anything

Thank you!

Maybe the series' soundtracks (including OSTs that were made for other games) will eventually find their way to YT one day. Until then, you can find the tracks under (game folder)\Audio\BGM.

They are in OGG format, but you can easily convert them to mp3 if you have trouble playing them.

And if you like Jazz you will definitely like the main game's OST to which Time's Edge serves as a side episode. There's a big update in the works.

YoshiyaMinamimoto

Rookie
Thank you!

Maybe the series' soundtracks (including OSTs that were made for other games) will eventually find their way to YT one day. Until then, you can find the tracks under (game folder)\Audio\BGM.

They are in OGG format, but you can easily convert them to mp3 if you have trouble playing them.

And if you like Jazz you will definitely like the main game's OST to which Time's Edge serves as a side episode. There's a big update in the works.
I actually just finished the game right now!
Found it to be very short, but noneless, a very enjoyable work!
I really liked how many puzzles the game had, and they werent too hard but not THAT easy, i found them very fun to solve!

I loved the game history, at the start of the game i found it to be very hard to like Arthur, i started out hating him, but as time passed, i start loving his connection with Sam, and i liked him at end

Is the game gonna have a continuation? It has so much potencial, i really wanna more and more content!

And you guys really should drop the OST´s on YT :D

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I actually just finished the game right now!
Found it to be very short, but noneless, a very enjoyable work!
I really liked how many puzzles the game had, and they werent too hard but not THAT easy, i found them very fun to solve!

I loved the game history, at the start of the game i found it to be very hard to like Arthur, i started out hating him, but as time passed, i start loving his connection with Sam, and i liked him at end

Is the game gonna have a continuation? It has so much potencial, i really wanna more and more content!

And you guys really should drop the OST´s on YT :D

Very glad you liked it!

The game was made for one of the site's bi-annual monthly lasting Game Jam events, which as you can understand results in smaller games by necessity. Not that it'd have been a bigger side episode otherwise, though. In any case, while we probably won't get to see these two characters again until the main game and its prequel's final updates have been taken care of...

In Time's Edge you get to explore the northern parts of the city where the main game takes place. The continuation of the main game will also take the main character through those same areas eventually, so you'll definitely get some of that northern jazz flavor. Till then it's all southern beats. So if you wait for the main game's next update, you'll get a similar experience. Sort of.

Finally, you can always try your own take on Time's Edge, or even make a sequel to it, why not?

YoshiyaMinamimoto

Rookie
Very glad you liked it!

The game was made for one of the site's bi-annual monthly lasting Game Jam events, which as you can understand results in smaller games by necessity. Not that it'd have been a bigger side episode otherwise, though. In any case, while we probably won't get to see these two characters again until the main game and its prequel's final updates have been taken care of...

In Time's Edge you get to explore the northern parts of the city where the main game takes place. The continuation of the main game will also take the main character through those same areas eventually, so you'll definitely get some of that northern jazz flavor. Till then it's all southern beats. So if you wait for the main game's next update, you'll get a similar experience. Sort of.

Finally, you can always try your own take on Time's Edge, or even make a sequel to it, why not?
Dont think i have what it takes to make a sequel, i dont even have experience in making any sort of game, haha
Maybe one day ill get to try and make my own fangame of Pokemon~

Its my first time actually visiting this site, so i never heard of this event Game Jam.. How does it work? Like.. A game is created and you need to do side-episodes of the game?

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Dont think i have what it takes to make a sequel, i dont even have experience in making any sort of game, haha
Maybe one day ill get to try and make my own fangame of Pokemon~

Its my first time actually visiting this site, so i never heard of this event Game Jam.. How does it work? Like.. A game is created and you need to do side-episodes of the game?
Welcome!

Not really, it doesn't have to be something specific unless explicitly stated by the rules (some jams do have rules). It just happened that this entry serves as a side episode to another game.

You can find various threads dedicated to jams as well as a catalogue of previous jam entries. See here, https://eeveeexpo.com/events/ and here https://eeveeexpo.com/game-jams/

Game Jams is kind of a tradition in the game development scene (both fan and indie). It's a very good way to hone your skills and learn how to make games, and participating is highly recommended if you want to take it up as a hobby (or turn it into a job, eventually).

YoshiyaMinamimoto

Rookie
Welcome!

Not really, it doesn't have to be something specific unless explicitly stated by the rules (some jams do have rules). It just happened that this entry serves as a side episode to another game.

You can find various threads dedicated to jams as well as a catalogue of previous jam entries. See here, https://eeveeexpo.com/events/ and here https://eeveeexpo.com/game-jams/

Game Jams is kind of a tradition in the game development scene (both fan and indie). It's a very good way to hone your skills and learn how to make games, and participating is highly recommended if you want to take it up as a hobby (or turn it into a job, eventually).
I see!
Well, i wish the best of luck to you and all the beautifull developers that worked on this project, i really hope that one day a continuation/a main game is created!
Wish you a great night, and once again, thank yall for this game :D

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
This game is...man, this is one of the best games I ever played! Really shows you can make an amazing pokemon game without the focus being pokemon battlings, this story brought tears into my eyes.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
This game is...man, this is one of the best games I ever played! Really shows you can make an amazing pokemon game without the focus being pokemon battlings, this story brought tears into my eyes.
Thank you very much for playing! Glad you had a good experience!

I just saw you've checked the main game already, so if you want to play another game set in the same universe, try out The First Journey. (Completed prequel to main game, and to this one)

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
I'm currently playing that one XD I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Oak the same way lol

Btw, are there any other games made by you? I'm practically going through all of 'em, might as well ask

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I'm currently playing that one XD I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Oak the same way lol

Btw, are there any other games made by you? I'm practically going through all of 'em, might as well ask
Haha, Sam is a good boy! What do you mean?
I'm flattered! There is one more, but it has just been partially integrated into ep1, so it's not available right now.

Oh, may I ask you to leave a review under TFJ's thread if you want? (the other games too if you don't mind)
Thank you and have fun!

jeacky

Novice
i finished the game and i must say. i reaaaly like it. But i hat myself for not having any Pokeballs left to capture the eggs in viridian forest. cause of save by cutsecenes i couldnt get out of the forrest to get new balls so i hat to kill it. i will never know what could have been.

Otherwise im wainting for more. being giovanni and being stuck on the vulcanic island is not so fun.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
i finished the game and i must say. i reaaaly like it. But i hat myself for not having any Pokeballs left to capture the eggs in viridian forest. cause of save by cutsecenes i couldnt get out of the forrest to get new balls so i hat to kill it. i will never know what could have been.

Otherwise im wainting for more. being giovanni and being stuck on the vulcanic island is not so fun.

Looks like you've commented under the wrong thread xD
You are looking for TFJs thread which is here: https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/3594/

All event encounter mons, except for 2, Lapras and the secret Pikachu, belong to Oak's original glitch team from gen 1. Though you don't get any extra dialogue or anything special for having them in your party. So you didn't miss out on much. Unless you've missed Pikachu and the secret superboss. You are stuck on the island in preparation for the postgame.

Further replies or questions under TFJ's thread, please! Thank you!

SnorlaxDaBest

Rookie
No, at least not conventional battling.
ok, thx. it's still a really fun game though, although i don't really get the story or what's going on, however I heard that it's sort of a side game within a series. what games are in said series?

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
ok, thx. it's still a really fun game though, although i don't really get the story or what's going on, however I heard that it's sort of a side game within a series. what games are in said series?
Thank you, I am in the process of updating it because of a bunch of grammar errors and some other fixes, it's been a while.
The series include all games on my signature (except for the Overcome game, technically). You may start with The First Journey as it's the beginning point (and it's complete)

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Time's Edge 1.9

Improvements:

• Adapted all portraits to the new PNG animation
  • Implemented Map leak and loading fix (along with png portraits, it should get rid of all the crashes)
  • improved scene flow
  • removed connected maps for better performance

Bugfixes:

• Fixed a whole bunch of typos (thanks Erun)
  • Fixed Tile problems

I do have plans for an eventual 2.0 that will touch up the janky spontaneous writing (though it is charming since it uses the legacy vernacular for the series), and perhaps tidy up the mapping a bit, but such an update won't be coming very soon.

If you find any bugs please let me know.

Back