• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Modern Quest System + UI

Resource Modern Quest System + UI 1.1.0

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Like i said i wanted to enlarge the lower textbox so i have more space for the Stage description.
I changed the bg_2 already but that doest change where the text starts. Does your code scan the picture? I just assumed it was measured and hardcoded where which textbox begins.
It does not scan the image. The position of everything on the UI is relative to the top left corner of the screen. If you've shifted the bottom textbox up, you'll need to edit the y value on line 252 to have the text align with the new textbox.

Shining

Novice
It does not scan the image. The position of everything on the UI is relative to the top left corner of the screen. If you've shifted the bottom textbox up, you'll need to edit the y value on line 252 to have the text align with the new textbox.
Yes that worked, thank you.

Attachments

• Bild_2023-04-29_222536966.png
    Bild_2023-04-29_222536966.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 108

Thunderbird games

Novice
Hello dose anyone know how to change the text colour I've been stuck on this for days, I'm not very smart...

DemICE

QoL junkie
hello @ThatWelshOne_ , I made this plugin have a different description for every quest stage for the project i'm a scripter for and i thought i'd share:

-made the :QuestDescription attribute have numbers like the stages (the default one being :QuestDescription1 instead of QuestDescription)
1683057454903.png

-changed the getQuestDescription to return a different description depending on the quest stage (or the first description if you have the same one for the whole quest)
# Get overall quest description
def getQuestDescription(quest,stage)
stg = ("QuestDescription" + "#{stage}").to_sym
desc = "#{QuestModule.const_get(quest)[stg]}"
if desc == ""
return "#{QuestModule.const_get(quest)[:QuestDescription1]}"
else
return desc
end
end
also of course added the stage argument on the code part where this method is called

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
hello @ThatWelshOne_ , I made this plugin have a different description for every quest stage for the project i'm a scripter for and i thought i'd share:

-made the :QuestDescription attribute have numbers like the stages (the default one being :QuestDescription1 instead of QuestDescription)
View attachment 17592

-changed the getQuestDescription to return a different description depending on the quest stage (or the first description if you have the same one for the whole quest)

also of course added the stage argument on the code part where this method is called
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

The quest name on the main quest selection screen
When you activate a quest, you can set the colour by doing, for example:
activateQuest(:Quest1, colorQuest("purple"))
The colour can be changed by advanceQuestToStage, completeQuest and failQuest as well.
Here are the currently accepted colours: blue, red, green, cyan, magenta, yellow, gray, white, purple, orange
You can add custom colours by looking at the function at the bottom of 001_Quest_Config.rb.

Atomseuche

Rookie
I am getting this error and I can't find the reason for it. Looks like its a text formatting error?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-10 224543.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-10 224543.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 94

Atomseuche

Rookie
What did you add/edit before this error appeared?
I added
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
MenuHandlers.add(:pause_menu, :quests, {
  "name"      =>  _INTL("Notizen"),
  "order"     => 9,
  "condition" => proc { next hasAnyQuests? },
  "effect"    => proc { |menu|
    pbPlayDecisionSE
    pbFadeOutIn {
      scene = QuestList_Scene.new
      screen = QuestList_Screen.new(scene)
      screen.pbStartScreen
      menu.pbRefresh
    }
    next false
  }
})
that into UI_PauseMenu. I am using VPM.

I edited on of the quests, that you already put in:
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
Quest1 = {
    :ID => "1",
    :Name => "Auf gehts!",
    :QuestGiver => "???",
    :Stage1 => "Begib dich zur Professorin.",
    :Location1 => "Hometown",
    :QuestDescription => "Du wurdest an der Dinómon-Akademie aufgenommen. Hol dir dein Erstsemester Dinómon von der Professorin ab.",
    :RewardString => "???"
  }

I added that Quest with
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
activateQuest(:Quest1, "red", false)

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
I added
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
MenuHandlers.add(:pause_menu, :quests, {
  "name"      =>  _INTL("Notizen"),
  "order"     => 9,
  "condition" => proc { next hasAnyQuests? },
  "effect"    => proc { |menu|
    pbPlayDecisionSE
    pbFadeOutIn {
      scene = QuestList_Scene.new
      screen = QuestList_Screen.new(scene)
      screen.pbStartScreen
      menu.pbRefresh
    }
    next false
  }
})
that into UI_PauseMenu. I am using VPM.

I edited on of the quests, that you already put in:
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
Quest1 = {
    :ID => "1",
    :Name => "Auf gehts!",
    :QuestGiver => "???",
    :Stage1 => "Begib dich zur Professorin.",
    :Location1 => "Hometown",
    :QuestDescription => "Du wurdest an der Dinómon-Akademie aufgenommen. Hol dir dein Erstsemester Dinómon von der Professorin ab.",
    :RewardString => "???"
  }

I added that Quest with
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
activateQuest(:Quest1, "red", false)
activateQuest(:Quest1, colorQuest("red"), false)

ary4nlight

Rookie
Hi! Im having problems with the support you provided to Voltseon's Pause Menu, seems like VPM changed the whole scripts, I cant even find some of the files you mentioned like 005_VoltseonMenu_Entries.rb or MENU_ENTRIES in the line 24, I'm sorry for bothering, I also say thank you for giving so much help to everyone, I could also ask something dumb, but how could I give a reward item or a Pokémon for completing a quest?

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Hi! Im having problems with the support you provided to Voltseon's Pause Menu, seems like VPM changed the whole scripts, I cant even find some of the files you mentioned like 005_VoltseonMenu_Entries.rb or MENU_ENTRIES in the line 24, I'm sorry for bothering, I also say thank you for giving so much help to everyone, I could also ask something dumb, but how could I give a reward item or a Pokémon for completing a quest?
In the latest version of VPM, this quest resource is already coded in so you don't need to do anything. I should update the instructions at some point.

As for the reward, you could just do something like:
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
pbReceiveItem(:NUGGET)
completeQuest(:Quest1)
When you have the player complete the quest.

ary4nlight

Rookie
In the latest version of VPM, this quest resource is already coded in so you don't need to do anything. I should update the instructions at some point.

As for the reward, you could just do something like:
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
pbReceiveItem(:NUGGET)
completeQuest(:Quest1)
When you have the player complete the quest.
1684241145801.png

the newest versions (2.0 and 2.1) now uses MenuHandlers,
I think is more easier now but, I cant see the quest option, in the pokegear or a new save neither
I tried to put the order in 100, pretty sure that was a dumb move, but I didnt get results
1684241438021.png

ary4nlight

Rookie
You're editing the base pause menu, not VPM, there
1684249481984.png

since 2.0, the 5th file is missing. So I think there's no file to edit, because is supposed to use the base pause menu script to make new menu buttons
1684249707637.png

I don't know what to edit atp, i'm new in this stuff so idk, sorry

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
View attachment 17964
since 2.0, the 5th file is missing. So I think there's no file to edit, because is supposed to use the base pause menu script to make new menu buttons
View attachment 17965
I don't know what to edit atp, i'm new in this stuff so idk, sorry
Apologies for the directness, but just in case it wasn't clear from my previous messages...
Ignore the instructions for adding this quest system to VPM. It is already coded for you in 004_VoltseonMenu_Components.rb. The quest option will appear in your pause menu as long as you have an active/failed/completed quest.

Back