• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokemon Nimbus

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version

Nimbus Intro BG.png

King_Waluigi presents...
POKEMON NIMBUS!

WELCOME TO THE ADYNE REGION!

The Adyne Region is fairly new to hosting its own "Pokemon League." In fact, the introduction of Gyms in the region only happened about twenty or so years ago! The creation of the Elite Four happened only five years ago!

You play as a young adult, preparing to begin your adventure by helping out as Professor Ilex's research assistant. Your old friend Layla is recruited as well, which sparks a rivalry between you two.

Challenge Adyne's Pokemon League! The Gym Challenge consists of six balanced and difficult Gym Leaders, most of which don't have a specific type-specialty.

Battle Team Cyclone! Adyne's criminal organization will stop at nothing to accomplish their goal... Calling forth the legendary "King of Storms," the ruler and protector of the Adyne Region!

Discover the mysterious lore of the "King of Storms!" No one has seen their protector in hundreds of years...
All that is left to suggest that he ever existed are two stones, the Heat and Cool Stone, and a worn name...
"TH-ND-R-S..."

FEATURES!

-EBDX! Animated battlers and Mid-Battle Dialogue!
-Custom Mega Evolutions! For Pokemon such as Emolga and Ludicolo!
-A Quest System! Completing quests will reward you with some type of reward!
-Harsh Level Caps! Pokemon Nimbus includes strict level caps, making it
impossible to reach a level higher than a Gym Leader!
-HM Items! No need for HMs anymore! Use items like the Surfboard to replace
HMs!
-Trainer Services at every Pokemon Center! Change your Pokemon's nickname,
check it's friendship, relearn moves, or even check your Pokemon's Hidden Power
power and type!

SCREENSHOTS!
Pokemon Nimbus 6_14_2021 1_58_54 PM.png

Pokemon Nimbus 6_14_2021 1_45_09 PM.png

Pokemon Nimbus 6_14_2021 1_46_23 PM.png

Pokemon Nimbus 6_14_2021 1_56_42 PM.png

CREDITS!
POKEMON NIMBUS BY

KING_WALUIGI
DARK RAY

OVERWORLD SPRITES BY

DIEGOWT
PURPLEZAFFRE
KING_WALUIGI
POKEMON

TRAINER SPRITES BY

KING_WALUIGI
BACKBURNER26
LUKA S.J.
POKEMON

MUSIC BY

EMDASCHE
ZAME
KING_WALUIGI
TERUTERUSKY
POKEMON

TILES BY

MAGISCARF
KINGTAPIR
THATSSOWITTY
CLARA-DRAGON
BOONZEET
KING_WALUIGI

LUKA'S SCRIPTING UTILITIES BY

LUKA S.J.

EBDX BY

LUKA S.J.
MARUNO
MARIN
POKECHECK.ORG
PINKCATDRAGON
TEBITED15
BADSAMARITAN
WOLFPP
REDBLUEYELLOW
DAMIEN

MODTS BY

LUKA S.J.

BW GENDER SELECTOR BY

KLEINSTUDIO
DEEPBLUE PACIFICWAVES

SIMPLE LEVEL CAPS BY

GOLISOPOD USER

BW BAG BY

CHARIZARDTHREE3
STCOOLER

BW SUMMARY BY

DEEPBLUE PACIFICWAVES
TOMMANIACAL
LUCIDIOUS89
WEIBROT
KOBI2604
DIRKRIPTIDE
PLOAJ
MR. GELA
SHASHU-GRENINJA

HIDDEN POWER CHECKER BY

KING_WALUIGI
MARUNO

MARIN'S SCRIPTING UTILITIES BY
MARIN

HM ITEMS BY
MARIN

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Pokemon Essentials v18 was used to make this game!

CURRENT DEX!
Nimbus_5.0.0_dex.png

THUNDAGA'S BETA TESTING LET'S PLAY!

Join the Discord server for both Pokemon Nimbus AND Pokemon Guardians, Nimbus' SUPER UPDATED sequel!

Attachments

Last edited:

ErikF

Rookie
Looks great from the showcase, however the mapping does lack a bit compared to some nice features you have gotten in the game. Looking forward to play anyways, and GL with your new game.

Actbear

Rookie
I just did the side quest to watch the three kids and now i have a timer perminatley at 000 on my screen. I tried restaring the game is there anyway to fix this bug?

Actbear

Rookie
i just did the sidequest to watch the 3 children and now have a timer at 00;00 permanently on my screen. Is there anyway to fix this bug?

Last edited:

Zygoat

Mimikyu enjoyer
Alright, so I've completed the main story and what I think is the end of the postgame that's been completely finished by the developers (I know there's a postman that will transport you to another area but I think that's bugged and that area seems unfinished), so I wanted to give my thoughts on this game. I'll be getting into spoiler territory so I'm going to hide that part of the review behind a spoiler tag.

My non-spoiler and general view of the game is that it has some great ideas and has a lot of potential, but there are a few design choices that hold it back from being the best possible game it can be in my opinion. With some reworking of a few things, and some general polishing, it could be a truly fantastic game, but what's there now is still pretty good. I'd recommend playing the game to anyone who is interested in trying it out.

Pokemon Nimbus goes to great lengths to offer a unique and different experience than the mainline Pokemon games. In some of the ways it differentiates itself, it does so in a way that improves the game experience, but in others, it does not.

At the beginning of the game, there are some choices that immediately change up the formula. Rather than choosing between a three-stage Fire/Water/Grass starter, you're choosing between three two stagers. I like this change, as it makes the game more unique and doesn't hinder gameplay in any way. I also want to commend the devs for how clean the starter choice screen was, since it used the official art of the three Pokemon and looked quite good as a result. The starter you pick will be at level 10, which threw me off at first until I realized the first few Trainers were also higher leveled. A small oversight I want to point out is that there is nothing stopping the player from heading out onto Route 1 and interacting with the first Trainer despite having no Pokemon, so it could use some sort of event that prevents the player from going there until they have their starter.

The player has to first register for the league before they can take on any gyms and take a test at the Trainers' school. The Trainers' school is probably the most important place in the game because if anyone else's experience is like mine, you'll be here quite often to fight the Audino trainer. The level scaling is what I think would be the biggest weakness of Nimbus. Level caps are fine, and I've considered implementing them into my own game, but when the game asks you to jump 10 levels between every gym, it can be quite tedious. This is why the Audino trainer was implemented, but the level scaling could have been much more natural with no need for any Audino grinding to keep up with it. By the time you're at the end of the game, the Pokemon you're going up against are almost level 100, leaving little room for growth in the postgame. I hope Pokemon Guardians doesn't follow this structure, or can at least be changed to follow a more typical one if it currently does.

The music in this game is quite consistently good, and the trainer battle theme lives rent free in my head now, in addition to the Team Cyclone battle theme. There wasn't a moment in the game where I thought the music was bad or didn't fit the situation at hand. Music is important to the first gym's town, and this is a good time to talk about the gym system.

I greatly appreciate the difference here between theme gyms and the main series' monotype gyms. The first gym's theme is dance, and one of the coolest moments in the entire game is here in this first gym. You finally get to the leader of this disco gym, to find out that the gym leader is none other than Miror B! For Colosseum and/or XD players, this is such an amazing reference and I couldn't think of a better character to represent the theme. Most of the other gym leaders are pretty standard stuff, with notable exceptions being the last three gyms. Two of these leaders are a couple, which is pretty cute. The last gym leader is a surprising pick, Bugsy from Johto. He's a grown man now, complete with facial hair and his gym has no trainers, which is interesting and reminded me of the last trial in Sun and Moon, just straight and to the point.

I liked that HM items were used to replace HMs, it's pretty cool to ride around on a surfboard in the water instead of on a Pokemon, and any game without HMs is better for it.

Layla had a nice character arc similar to Hop's in Sword and Shield. Her confidence in her abilities was starting to fall apart as she kept losing to the player, but it was restored by talking to her sister and she did what Hop couldn't by becoming the new champion (dethroning the game's developer lol) before the player. When I saw King_Walugi's character sprite I thought I'd be battling him so that reveal that he just lost and Layla was the champion surprised me a bit.

Snap, Crackle and Pop were comical villains and I loved how self-referential their humor was. They knew their names were silly, and the game knew the player thought so. Their Rotom forms matched their motif pretty well and it was fun triple battling them.

It was interesting having the Team Cyclone plotline focus on more minor legendary Pokemon in the three genies (more specifically Thundurus, but the other two are in the postgame), they are rather underutilized in the main series and take a backseat to Unova's main trio. The leader of the group felt like a complete psychopath (which I think was intended) with his backstory of not caring that his family was killed by a storm and instead seeking that power for himself.

Artrum was an awesome new Pokemon and I loved its concept of being both the sad and happy masks that are iconic representations of theatre dramas evolving to embrace one side or the other. It also got me through a lot of the postgame fights by tanking many hits and setting up to sweep with its bulky stats and excellent typing (when evolved into the happy evolution).

Overall, I had fun playing and completing the game, and I can tell that genuine care and effort have been put into it. I'm not sure if I'd play through it again due to the level scaling issue I've mentioned, but it has enough positive qualities that I'm glad I at least played through it once and saw what the region of Adyne has to offer.

glizzychulo

Rookie
Hi I downloaded the file, but I can't seem to find the actual game. I have a mac if that helps with anything

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Hi I downloaded the file, but I can't seem to find the actual game. I have a mac if that helps with anything
I'm sorry, this game doesn't run on macs, most fangames can't, but you can try this, tho I'm not sure if it will work:

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Back