• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Glacier Shards

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version

0mr7zX6.png

The Swine Exploration Guild
A guild homes on a small island, located somewhere off into the ocean, as the newest recruit to the guild, you are tasked with many quests that lead you around the island, with many secrets to explore, trainers to fight, and pokemon to catch and train with.

Meet your starter

Uju3POX.gif

Swinub, an essential and well-known pokemon when it comes to the guild, only given to explorers
who are said to accomplish great things for the guild.

Team

Me, myself, and I,
and play-testing help from Brysoon.
As well as, a thank to my personal friends, who even though they
aren't part of the RC community, have helped playtest and bug fix day and night.

Screenshots

(Outdated...)
xgsqLdp.png

Features

A full-fledged, story-based quest system, with many side quests to expand your journey.
Pokemon from every generation in a full regional dex, including new and unique ways to obtain rare pokemon and alternate forms.
Fully custom Challenge mode, with Nuzlocke mode, randomizer mode, and many others.
Roughly 3 ~ 4 hours depending on the difficulty setting chosen.
Fully implemented Mining Minigame, with new and unique items to expand your gameplay.
Many QoL features, Following pokemon, and many changes to existing Pokemon.
And... many new custom abilities and moves to increase difficulty and enjoyment throughout the game.
(Base stats/movesets, and evolution method changes.)

Discord

Server Link

Download

Download Link

(V 0.8)
V0.9 WILL BE OUT SOON (Huge update!!!)
Resource Pack

How to Play and Update

First, download the file from the download link above, then extract the file into a folder, I would recommend WinRAR for extracting, just because that's what I use, and I believe it to be the easiest, although you can use whatever file extracting software you want. After that, open up the newly extracted folder and open up the Game.exe file, this file will run your game, so be sure to remember that.
I do not recommend tampering with any other files in the folder, or you may break the game, or your save file.

Updating is quite simple, just download the newest version of the game from the download button above, and follow the steps from the How to play section of this thread, after that, copy and replace the "Save Games" folder, from the older version, into the newer version, and load the game as you normally would with the Game.exe file.

Credits

Please message me asap if I am missing anyone.

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
...and everyone else who helped out

- Stat Screen Upgrade (EVs and IVs in Summary) - Weibrot

- Simple Encounter List UI - raZ, Nuri Yuri, Vendily for main script, Savordez, Marin for helping with the code (and I used Marin's GUI guide to get started), Zaffre for the v1.2 update, ThatWelshOne_ for the v1.3 update

- Voltseon's Handy Tools - Voltseon

- Item Find script - Boonzeet

- Footprints - Marin

- Overworld Shadows - Marin

- HM Items - Marin (tweaked by me for v18.1)

- Unreal Time System - FL

- Location signpost - LostSoulsDev / carmaniac & PurpleZaffre

- BW Get Key Item - Original version by KleinStudio, Updated Version for Essentials v18 by DeepBlue PacificWaves

- Simple Customizable Level Caps - Golisopod User

- Following Pokemon - Credit to Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, venom12, mej71 for the original scripts and sprites, Overhauled by Golisopod User

- QuestUI - mej 71, updated for pokemon essentials 18.1, bug fixes and integration to pause menu by derFischae

- Better Fast Forward - Marin

https://www.deviantart.com/magiscarf/art/Tileset-ver-3-Free-690477146
Magiscarf

https://www.deviantart.com/phyromatical/art/DoT-Day24-Evolina-Mountains-Full-Set-653153011
Phyromatical
EvoLina
Zetavares852

https://www.deviantart.com/ralandel/art/Random-Snow-Tiles-763142268
Ralandel
Phyromatical

https://www.deviantart.com/thatssowitty/art/Public-Interior-Tileset-281775677
ThatsSoWitty
Kyle-Dove
Speedialga
Alucus
Spacemotion
Pokemon-Diamond
Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
EpicDay
Thurpok
UltimoSpriter
Dewitty
MinorThreat0987
TyranitarDark
Heavy-Metal-Lover
kaitoooo
WesleyFG
BoOmxBiG
CrimsonTakai

https://www.deviantart.com/chaoticcherrycake/art/Pokemon-Tileset-From-Public-Tiles-358379026
Kyle-Dove
Heavy-Metal-Lover
WesleyFG
Dewitty
Zetavares852
XDinky
Newtiteuf
Alucus
Erma96
Hydrargirium
Poison-Master
Thedeadheroalistair
Shutwig
Asdsimone
Xxdevil
Steinnaples
Hek-el-grande
sylver1984
NikNak93
TeaAddition
Cuddlesthefatcat
Magiscarf
Gigatom
The-Red-Ex
ChaoticCherryCake

https://www.deviantart.com/pablus94/art/Autotile-hierba-Alta-Zeo-811289903
Zeo
Pablus94

Alolan Overworlds - Princess-Pheonix, Larryturbo, Kidkatt, Zender1752, SageDeoxys
Custom fogs - Heisenman
Custom Battle backgrounds - Carchagui & tweaked by me

----------------------------
DS Style Gen 6 Sprites
----------------------------
MrDollSteak - Everything except what's listed below
Chaos Rush - For allowing me to continue the DS-Style 64x64 Pokemon Sprite Resource, Arceus-Fairy, Bergmite Front, Goodra Back, Talonflame Front Basis
Layell - Permission to use sprites from the mogon XY Sprite Project, QC on various sprites from the XY Sprite Project, Vivillon Front, Mega Absol Front, Espurr Front
Spherical Ice - Litleo, Hawlucha, Dragalge Front, Binacle Front, Mega Beedrill Front, QC on Delphox
leparagon - Sylveon Front, Mega Alakazam, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Blaziken front, Mega Swampert Back, Mega Latias, Mega Latios, Mega Lopunny, QC on Mega Swampert
princessofmusic - Flabebe Front, Floette Front and Florges Front, Klefki Front, Espurr Front, Pangoro Front, Slurpuff Front
Sky High - Mega Salamence, Diancie Back, Vivillon Icon, Pyroar Male Icon, Dedenne Icon, Xerneas Icon, Zygarde Icon, Diancie Icon, Hoopa Icon, Hoopa Unbound Icon, Volcanion Icon
Wobblebuns - Pumpkaboo Fronts, Helioptile Front, Goomy Front, Sliggoo Front, Mega Kangaskhan Baby, Espurr Front, Pangoro Front, Slurpuff Front
Redrooster - Diggersby Front, Barbaracle Front, Meowstic Male and Female Front
N-Kin - Froakie Front, Pancham Front, Malamar Front, Hoopa Front, Volcanion Front, Amaura Front
Zerudez - Chesnaught Front, Fletchinder Front, Mega Manectric Front
SupahSnivy - Fennekin Front, Carbink Front
Branflakes325 - Pangoro Front, Aegislash Front
Legitimate Username - Aegislash Front, Diancie Front, Mega Garchomp Front
aXl - Braixen Front, Doublade Front, Hoopa Unbound Front, Mega Sableye Front, Mega Aggron Front
Superjub - Sylveon Back
Cynda - Mega Swampert, Trevenant Front
Seiku88 - Gogoat Front
Gexeys - Amaura Front
al199288 - Fletchinder Back
Sleet - Skrelp Front
BlackWhiteRobin - Mega Blastoise Back
The Cynical Poet - Mega Slowbro Front
Noscium - Furfrou Front
Tayub1221 - Aurorus Front
SSJ4 Furanki - Noivern Front Basis, Skiddo Basis
Arkeis - Aromatisse Front
Quanyails - Honedge Front, Volcanion Back, Mega Absol Front, Espurr Front
Orchid - Volcanion Back
GeoisEvil - Dedenne Front
Wyverii - Xerneas Front
Vale98PM - Zygarde Front
thedarkdragon11 - Hoopa Back, Volcanion Front, Mega Garchomp Front
TrainerSplash - Hoopa Unbound Front
Falgaia - Avalugg Front
MilanesaCosmic - Mega Manectric Front
Fridave - Bunnelby Front, QC on Mega Houndoom and Greninja
Versekr Dark - Mega Garchomp Back
Nordk - Phantump Basis
Hoenn - Clauncher Front Basis
GOLDstandard - Delphox Front Basis
Z-GynoroP - Resized Avalugg front
HeXeR - QC on Mega Metagross Back
Doesntknowhowtoplay - Fennekin Icon, Braixen Icon, Delphox Icon, Fletchling Icon, Fletchinder Icon
Thundrake - Pancham Icon, Helioptile Icon, Heliolisk Icon, Carbink Icon, Hawlucha Icon, Avalugg Icon, Noibat Icon, Noivern Icon
orly32123 - Dragalge Icon
Criminon - QC on Greninja and Mega Blastoise
Slowpoke13 - QC on Chesnaught, Litleo and Pyroar
Soloo993 - QC on Quilladin, Pancham, Espurr and Sylveon
Dursem - QC on Noivern
Bozster - Mega Aggron Front Basis

Extra Notes

This game was made as part of the Relic Castle Winter Game Jam 2, and such was completed and made in just over a month, the current version of the game is a demo, and is not fully complete, and currently contains a total of 7 quests, 4 of them being main story quests, with the remaining 3 being optional side quests. The game currently has around 2.5~3 hours of playtime but could be shorter/longer depending on which difficulty you play on.

All 3 leaves, used to represent the guild tiers
All 3 jams, used as baits, for fishing pokemon out of the water
All 3 balls were used as 3 new Pokeballs, Monoball, Duelball, and Snowballball

Attachments

• screenshots1.png
    screenshots1.png
    736.9 KB · Views: 17,555
  • TitleScreen.png
    TitleScreen.png
    90 KB · Views: 51,772
  • SwinubGIF.gif
    SwinubGIF.gif
    73.8 KB · Views: 27,055
Last edited:

AnonAlpaca

Why Do People Call Me A GOAT
Expo Team
Very interesting! Swinub is probably one of my favourite Pokemon and I like the idea of an exploration guild, so I'll check this out!

Reactions: Ned

Ned

[Enter Custom Title Here]
After you receive the "Old Friend" quest, travel through Brisk Caverns, entrance to the cave is in the top left of Glaciet Town, after traveling through the cave, and after Theo leaves the guildhall, he'll give you the item to break rocks.

Ned

I did that, and nothing happened. That's the reason why I know I need the rock smash item.
I went through, and for some reason had it set up wrong, if you don't talk to Theo then he never comes to battle you, I'll be putting out a fix for this, but for now, before you receive the next quest, you must talk to Theo to trigger him appearing and battling you, and you must talk to him before you talk to Garrett after getting Theo back to the guild from the cave.

Ned

A new version addressing a small bug has been released, unfortunately, you will need to start a new save, if you have encountered this bug, if you successfully received the boxing gloves from Theo already, then you do not need to restart.

Here is the download, the main thread has also been updated:
Download Link

I'm done with the demo! Here are my notes!

Aesthetic
The outdoor tilesets you made for this game are nice. They're pretty, bright, and make the world look good. I especially like all the little variations for snow patches you have. I feel like the indoor tilesets don't match as much in style, however. They don't have similar shading styles or outlines to the tiles you selected for the outdoors. I know putting together good-looking gen 4 styled indoor sets is tricky, though. There's a lot for outdoors um, out there, but not so much for indoors.

While the mapping started out good, in this game, I noticed that the quality started to slide as the game went on. There began to be more open areas, or just long patches of grass, with little else of interest. The grassy areas in particular feel quite open, but I think that's also due in part to the dwindling number of NPCs.

The Gameplay
I had a blast playing this game. It was a lot of fun to put together my team and train them up. There's good Pokémon selection, and the encounter rate isn't too bad, either. I also appreciate that the trainers and beginning environment are set up to not make things too hard for Swinub. Speaking of Swinub, I absolutely adore the Pokémon. When I saw it was the starter, I knew I had to play the game. Even though I didn't get to the level range where it would evolve, Swinub absolutely pulled its weight on my team.

One thing I particularly enjoyed was how many hidden items (and money) the game had across the world. It was fun to try to find things along the routes. Out of curiosity, is there an item finder available in this demo? Another aspect of this game I liked were the side mechanics you included, such as the fishing spots and egg sellers. I didn't get much use out of them once I had filled out all the slots in my team, but I thought they were cool inclusions. I'd love to see what other side NPCs like that you could add in the future.

After restarting my save, I played on easy mode. It definitely was easy, so I can't speak much to the balancing. I did notice that Theo gives you the EXP all, even if you already started with it. That's a bit of a weird reward. I also would have liked it if there was an option to clarify what was different about the difficulty modes in this game. (Trainers? Available Pokémon? Available Items? A mixture of some of this?)

These following points are contingent on whether these things stay the same in normal and hard modes for the game. Giving the player a Rotom with all the forms immediately to be a bit overpowered. So were the mining spots, for that matter. I was able to sell some of the items I got from mining for ridiculous prices, and stock up on an even more obscene amount of Fresh Water. I think the best way to rectify that is to up the price of them, seeing as they cost the same as a Potion, but heal more HP. As for the mining, I know from experience that it's easy to mess with the array of available items. You could comment out things like the star pieces and fossils, which sell for a hefty price.

I already mentioned this with my thoughts on the mapping, but I noticed there was a steady decline of events as the game went on. There were no more overworld Pokémon to battle, nor were there as many trainers. The final city barely had any NPCs, on top of that. It's another thing I'll attribute to deadline crunch, but I hope the game can be updated with more in the future.

The Writing
There were some noticeable typos and other little errors throughout the game. I highlighted the few I caught, but consider giving the game another once-over. One technique I like to use is to export the game's text in debug mode, and run it through a spelling/grammar checker. It's not flawless, but it gets a lot of the job done.

Something else I noticed about your writing is that you tend to repeat yourself a lot. Garrett refers to Swinub as a "special Pokémon" multiple times throughout the introduction. (Not that I disagree with him, haha.) The Professor does the same thing, as does Theo, when discussing "rare Pokémon."

Bugs
1. The ice and the ledges don't play nice.
2. Cave entrance doesn't have priority.
3. Collision.
4. He turned from a blackbelt into a ruin maniac.
5. It was around this point that I began to realize that every NPC in this game has the same end battle dialogue. (I enjoyed it.) I also noticed that all the trade NPCs have the same dialogue if you choose not to trade with them.
6. Coffee.
7. Thump.
8. People's.
9. Counter flag is not set, so you can't heal or buy items. The Geisha Girl also references a quest I haven't activated yet.
10. Door exit graphic is different than the entrance one.
11. Wrong Slowpoke Icon. (This only seems to happen when Slowpoke isn't at full health.)
12. Was challenged by a police officer in the overworld. There is no battle back.
13. The void is visible.
14. These trainers are identical (same teams).
15. Got this error against Galarian Corsola.
16. I noticed this throughout the game. Many of the routes, caves, and towns don't have their music properly set. Some maps will have no music, others will copy the wrong music to the next map. (ex: There's cave music on the routes if you exit through the cave, but town music if you enter the route from town.)
17. The game is lacking a door exit sound effect.
18. The cave exit tiles don't have priority.
19. The game's audio balancing is off. The music that plays in battle is way louder than the music in the overworld.
20. The player can take the taxi to fly to the other towns, and still return to the final city. This means that they are able to go through the landslide that gets in the way. (The same issue would happen if the player fainted, and their last healing checkpoint was in an earlier town, as well.)

Igwq9pG.png

V9UoMD1.png

Ta8eDnu.png

foKxEvS.png

C4wrraf.png

HLiGyJs.png

xKBDziw.png

H0eUixg.png

90VGfyN.png

8s6ix5S.png

b1AHH1J.png

gEZCFjq.png

8HNZPTN.png

IxRjnAS.png

iX5X8hR.png

The Squad
jpuAj5C.png

Overall
Like I covered in my notes, your entry needs a bit of polish in places. However, none of those things stopped me from enjoying the game. Your entry has some interesting ideas behind it, and I'm excited to see where you take the demo from here. Great job with this!

Ned

I'm done with the demo! Here are my notes!

Aesthetic
The outdoor tilesets you made for this game are nice. They're pretty, bright, and make the world look good. I especially like all the little variations for snow patches you have. I feel like the indoor tilesets don't match as much in style, however. They don't have similar shading styles or outlines to the tiles you selected for the outdoors. I know putting together good-looking gen 4 styled indoor sets is tricky, though. There's a lot for outdoors um, out there, but not so much for indoors.

While the mapping started out good, in this game, I noticed that the quality started to slide as the game went on. There began to be more open areas, or just long patches of grass, with little else of interest. The grassy areas in particular feel quite open, but I think that's also due in part to the dwindling number of NPCs.

The Gameplay
I had a blast playing this game. It was a lot of fun to put together my team and train them up. There's good Pokémon selection, and the encounter rate isn't too bad, either. I also appreciate that the trainers and beginning environment are set up to not make things too hard for Swinub. Speaking of Swinub, I absolutely adore the Pokémon. When I saw it was the starter, I knew I had to play the game. Even though I didn't get to the level range where it would evolve, Swinub absolutely pulled its weight on my team.

One thing I particularly enjoyed was how many hidden items (and money) the game had across the world. It was fun to try to find things along the routes. Out of curiosity, is there an item finder available in this demo? Another aspect of this game I liked were the side mechanics you included, such as the fishing spots and egg sellers. I didn't get much use out of them once I had filled out all the slots in my team, but I thought they were cool inclusions. I'd love to see what other side NPCs like that you could add in the future.

After restarting my save, I played on easy mode. It definitely was easy, so I can't speak much to the balancing. I did notice that Theo gives you the EXP all, even if you already started with it. That's a bit of a weird reward. I also would have liked it if there was an option to clarify what was different about the difficulty modes in this game. (Trainers? Available Pokémon? Available Items? A mixture of some of this?)

These following points are contingent on whether these things stay the same in normal and hard modes for the game. Giving the player a Rotom with all the forms immediately to be a bit overpowered. So were the mining spots, for that matter. I was able to sell some of the items I got from mining for ridiculous prices, and stock up on an even more obscene amount of Fresh Water. I think the best way to rectify that is to up the price of them, seeing as they cost the same as a Potion, but heal more HP. As for the mining, I know from experience that it's easy to mess with the array of available items. You could comment out things like the star pieces and fossils, which sell for a hefty price.

I already mentioned this with my thoughts on the mapping, but I noticed there was a steady decline of events as the game went on. There were no more overworld Pokémon to battle, nor were there as many trainers. The final city barely had any NPCs, on top of that. It's another thing I'll attribute to deadline crunch, but I hope the game can be updated with more in the future.

The Writing
There were some noticeable typos and other little errors throughout the game. I highlighted the few I caught, but consider giving the game another once-over. One technique I like to use is to export the game's text in debug mode, and run it through a spelling/grammar checker. It's not flawless, but it gets a lot of the job done.

Something else I noticed about your writing is that you tend to repeat yourself a lot. Garrett refers to Swinub as a "special Pokémon" multiple times throughout the introduction. (Not that I disagree with him, haha.) The Professor does the same thing, as does Theo, when discussing "rare Pokémon."

Bugs
1. The ice and the ledges don't play nice.
2. Cave entrance doesn't have priority.
3. Collision.
4. He turned from a blackbelt into a ruin maniac.
5. It was around this point that I began to realize that every NPC in this game has the same end battle dialogue. (I enjoyed it.) I also noticed that all the trade NPCs have the same dialogue if you choose not to trade with them.
6. Coffee.
7. Thump.
8. People's.
9. Counter flag is not set, so you can't heal or buy items. The Geisha Girl also references a quest I haven't activated yet.
10. Door exit graphic is different than the entrance one.
11. Wrong Slowpoke Icon. (This only seems to happen when Slowpoke isn't at full health.)
12. Was challenged by a police officer in the overworld. There is no battle back.
13. The void is visible.
14. These trainers are identical (same teams).
15. Got this error against Galarian Corsola.
16. I noticed this throughout the game. Many of the routes, caves, and towns don't have their music properly set. Some maps will have no music, others will copy the wrong music to the next map. (ex: There's cave music on the routes if you exit through the cave, but town music if you enter the route from town.)
17. The game is lacking a door exit sound effect.
18. The cave exit tiles don't have priority.
19. The game's audio balancing is off. The music that plays in battle is way louder than the music in the overworld.
20. The player can take the taxi to fly to the other towns, and still return to the final city. This means that they are able to go through the landslide that gets in the way. (The same issue would happen if the player fainted, and their last healing checkpoint was in an earlier town, as well.)

Igwq9pG.png

V9UoMD1.png

Ta8eDnu.png

foKxEvS.png

C4wrraf.png

HLiGyJs.png

xKBDziw.png

H0eUixg.png

90VGfyN.png

8s6ix5S.png

b1AHH1J.png

gEZCFjq.png

8HNZPTN.png

IxRjnAS.png

iX5X8hR.png

The Squad
jpuAj5C.png

Overall
Like I covered in my notes, your entry needs a bit of polish in places. However, none of those things stopped me from enjoying the game. Your entry has some interesting ideas behind it, and I'm excited to see where you take the demo from here. Great job with this!

Wow, to start I wanna say thanks for playing, and thanks for noting down all those bugs I need to fix haha.

I guess I'll start where you did, the aesthetics for this game were a pain to do, I compiled about 10 different sets, and I tried to stick to a consistent style, especially with the outside I think I did a pretty good job with it, the inside for me is always difficult, but I did also run out of time with it, so I stuck with what I had, it's definitely on my list of stuff to fix and tweak with now that the jam is over. The lack of everything as the game progresses was purely because of the time crunch, those last few areas were all mapped and created in the span of a few days, so there were things that I just missed out doing, I tried to do as much as I could with the limited time I had, but it's already on my list aswell, and probably going to be one of the first things I do towards the first big update.

The gameplay is definitely something I am personally proud of, for me, gameplay is super important, because it's what I like seeing in a game, Swinub as the starter and the main point of the game was something I wanted from the start, I really like games that revolve around a single pokemon, or single evolution line. Hidden items, a thing I also love in fan games, I wanted to theme the game around exploration, as in the name of the guild, and hidden items are definitely a way to do that in my opinion, I would still like to add more, as I'm not sure if you noticed, but a lack of hidden things later on is also something that happened due to time crunch. Also, there is an item finder in this version, a man who mentions hidden items does give it to you, but only after you've found enough hidden items and money around the island, after that he mentions how you have a good eye for hidden things, and grants you an item finder to help you find everything else that you may have missed. A note about the whole difficulty of the game, the only difference is how the pokemon scale towards yours, and how much higher or lower they are than your team, I do agree that a room catalogue with all the forms early on is a bit overpowered, I'll definitely be looking into tweaking that, although the point of my game wasn't for it to be overly difficult or easy, it was more for some story, the idea of quests throughout and incorporating them into the story, as well as team building and pokemon thrown in there, with that said, I was tweaking with all 3 difficulty settings for hours, and I'm still not totally set on it. I'll also definitely be adding a notice to what changes, and since the difficulties are tied to switches, I'll probably be adding more changes, like items, and possibly teams and pokemon availability as I update and continue to work on the game. The whole money thing is something I also sorta planned out, because of the limited time, I wanted to have all the items and what not still be available, without tweaking all the trainer's to give more money, instead I just made it more common, such as the hidden money around, I didn't want to have all those items, TMs and eggs be for sale without you being able to get enough money to do so. About the mining, I'll definitely look into tweaking it, however out of curiosity, after you mine the spot in the wall is supposed to disappear and only reappear after 1 in-game day has passed, or 24 minutes, which I admit is a bit sure, but I was curious to know if it did disappear and that infinitely mining in one spot wasn't possible.

The writing, this is something I personally do not excel in, and I was fully prepared to be heavily critiqued in this area, spelling and grammar isn't particularly hard for me, but I do have a habit of typing fast and making spelling errors often, I'll definitely use that text editor idea, it seems like it's work out really well, and hopefully it'll also allow for me to read all the text at once to hopefully catch some more errors, as well I appreciate you telling me what errors you caught. This is something I'll definitely be working on, in this game, and my future ones, and hopefully there will be less of these in the next update.

I'd like to say thanks a lot for catching all those bugs, we only had a few hours in the end to play test, and we prioritized fixing the critical game breaking bugs, even though that wasn't entirely successful in one case. However I really appreciate you catching all those and giving pictures to go along with it, it really helps me to fix them all!

The team you ended up with is roughly where I ended up at, level wise that is, Swinub not evolving isn't too bad, only because I have plans to reference that with the guild late in the story and quest lines, so it not evolving just yet is okay, I also was wondering if you'd let me know roughly how long your second playthrough was, just so I could get a rough estimate of playtime for everyone.

Finally, I want to say thanks for playing my game, my last couple games, and jam entries usually have huge critical game breaking bugs that take too long to fix or in some cases I don't know how to, and I'm glad to see that someone actually made it all the way through this one, and also wanted to go through it to begin with, and even more so enjoyed playing it, it definitely makes me want to update it more, and I can't wait to push out more updates and to improve the game in so many more ways, as a person who generally enjoys making games more than playing them, I don't often get to see how a player experiences the game, as I only get that through play testing which is hard when I'm already aware of the layer game story and what not. So thanks for playing it, and for leaving such helpful and wonderful feedback!

Wow, to start I wanna say thanks for playing, and thanks for noting down all those bugs I need to fix haha.

I guess I'll start where you did, the aesthetics for this game were a pain to do, I compiled about 10 different sets, and I tried to stick to a consistent style, especially with the outside I think I did a pretty good job with it, the inside for me is always difficult, but I did also run out of time with it, so I stuck with what I had, it's definitely on my list of stuff to fix and tweak with now that the jam is over. The lack of everything as the game progresses was purely because of the time crunch, those last few areas were all mapped and created in the span of a few days, so there were things that I just missed out doing, I tried to do as much as I could with the limited time I had, but it's already on my list aswell, and probably going to be one of the first things I do towards the first big update.

The gameplay is definitely something I am personally proud of, for me, gameplay is super important, because it's what I like seeing in a game, Swinub as the starter and the main point of the game was something I wanted from the start, I really like games that revolve around a single pokemon, or single evolution line. Hidden items, a thing I also love in fan games, I wanted to theme the game around exploration, as in the name of the guild, and hidden items are definitely a way to do that in my opinion, I would still like to add more, as I'm not sure if you noticed, but a lack of hidden things later on is also something that happened due to time crunch. Also, there is an item finder in this version, a man who mentions hidden items does give it to you, but only after you've found enough hidden items and money around the island, after that he mentions how you have a good eye for hidden things, and grants you an item finder to help you find everything else that you may have missed. A note about the whole difficulty of the game, the only difference is how the pokemon scale towards yours, and how much higher or lower they are than your team, I do agree that a room catalogue with all the forms early on is a bit overpowered, I'll definitely be looking into tweaking that, although the point of my game wasn't for it to be overly difficult or easy, it was more for some story, the idea of quests throughout and incorporating them into the story, as well as team building and pokemon thrown in there, with that said, I was tweaking with all 3 difficulty settings for hours, and I'm still not totally set on it. I'll also definitely be adding a notice to what changes, and since the difficulties are tied to switches, I'll probably be adding more changes, like items, and possibly teams and pokemon availability as I update and continue to work on the game. The whole money thing is something I also sorta planned out, because of the limited time, I wanted to have all the items and what not still be available, without tweaking all the trainer's to give more money, instead I just made it more common, such as the hidden money around, I didn't want to have all those items, TMs and eggs be for sale without you being able to get enough money to do so. About the mining, I'll definitely look into tweaking it, however out of curiosity, after you mine the spot in the wall is supposed to disappear and only reappear after 1 in-game day has passed, or 24 minutes, which I admit is a bit sure, but I was curious to know if it did disappear and that infinitely mining in one spot wasn't possible.

The writing, this is something I personally do not excel in, and I was fully prepared to be heavily critiqued in this area, spelling and grammar isn't particularly hard for me, but I do have a habit of typing fast and making spelling errors often, I'll definitely use that text editor idea, it seems like it's work out really well, and hopefully it'll also allow for me to read all the text at once to hopefully catch some more errors, as well I appreciate you telling me what errors you caught. This is something I'll definitely be working on, in this game, and my future ones, and hopefully there will be less of these in the next update.

I'd like to say thanks a lot for catching all those bugs, we only had a few hours in the end to play test, and we prioritized fixing the critical game breaking bugs, even though that wasn't entirely successful in one case. However I really appreciate you catching all those and giving pictures to go along with it, it really helps me to fix them all!

The team you ended up with is roughly where I ended up at, level wise that is, Swinub not evolving isn't too bad, only because I have plans to reference that with the guild late in the story and quest lines, so it not evolving just yet is okay, I also was wondering if you'd let me know roughly how long your second playthrough was, just so I could get a rough estimate of playtime for everyone.

Finally, I want to say thanks for playing my game, my last couple games, and jam entries usually have huge critical game breaking bugs that take too long to fix or in some cases I don't know how to, and I'm glad to see that someone actually made it all the way through this one, and also wanted to go through it to begin with, and even more so enjoyed playing it, it definitely makes me want to update it more, and I can't wait to push out more updates and to improve the game in so many more ways, as a person who generally enjoys making games more than playing them, I don't often get to see how a player experiences the game, as I only get that through play testing which is hard when I'm already aware of the layer game story and what not. So thanks for playing it, and for leaving such helpful and wonderful feedback!
Yeah, I attributed much of the emptiness to the time crunch as things went on. That's just the nature of the jam beast, unfortunately.

Swinub evolving definitely wasn't a problem, it was the ace of my team. I actually use Swinub as a starter in one of my fangames! We have it evolve through story-related events, because of its significance to the plot. It makes eventing a lot easier when I don't have to check for all 3 evolutions. (Plus, none of that pesky tracking down of a Heart Scale for Ancient Power...)

As for the mining spots, I don't believe I encountered any that would reset too early.

My first playtime before I got softlocked was 40 mins. The second time around, my playtime was 1.5 hours. I think it would have been closer to 2 if I hadn't restarted, because I breezed through the intro until the Rock Smash points. I already knew what to do at that point, and what to expect, what Pokémon I wanted, etc. So, things went faster. Overall, my playtime with my restarted file was

Joroma

Novice
Hey, great game! It had a nice aesthetic and I had fun using swinub, which I rarely use. I like the idea of an exploration guild and I thought the quest system was interesting. Unfortunately, I got stuck at one part and couldn't advance (see Bugs). I did play on hard difficulty, which seemed a little unbalanced and more grindy than actually difficult, but I had fun nonetheless.

I really like your battlebacks and your "cool" tileset choice. I think your maps are pretty good at the beginning because they seem both natural and condensed (just enough). I think your indoor maps could use a little work, as they were just squares with not much going on. I think you did very good with spreading out the outdoor objects/decorations to make the maps seem busy (but not too busy, y'know?) and natural. I thought the detail was good and I'm glad you made a lot of the aesthetics have an actual purpose with giving items and having references. Great job!
I definitely made a mistake clicking hard difficulty, even though I would say I'm pretty good at Pokémon. The opponents' Pokémon were just way too high leveled and it wasn't an organic difficulty curve. I spent about thirty minutes grinding trying to get my ice type to beat the first trainer with a growlithe that seemed to increase in level every time I battled it, which was especially hard when I couldn't even beat wild encounters that were 2-3 levels higher than me. I know it is my fault and I should've expected it, but I would prefer more difficult teams rather than higher levels. I did like the quest system and had fun doing all the different challenges and stuff. The UI of the quest log was a little strange, but I think it is probably just font and background color. Another minor thing is that I didn't have any idea there was a speedup or what button it was until I randomly bumped it (I still don't know what button it is, lol). Overall, I'd like to see a quest system like that in a full game, so great job!
I wouldn't say the writing is the most clean, but it does its part. There are a lot of run-on sentences (so many commas!) which can be solved with a simple period or semicolon. There are also some typos, so I'd recommend taking Ekat's advice with fixing some of those. The plot is fairly simplistic, which is fine, and I quite like how it just jumps into joining the guild and starting quests. Overall just needs some polish. Also, you spelled Glacier as Glaciet (assuming it's not supposed to be that way) and it seems like the quest log isn't fully filled out in this part:
Shards2.PNG
MAJOR BUG: Since I didn't grind enough, I died to Theo in the cave and there were rugged rocks outside the cave, meaning I couldn't continue. I imagine the cutscene and rocks are related, but I couldn't rematch Theo after coming back to the cave. I looked everywhere else and couldn't find a place to go, either.
Shards5.PNG

When you get the quest log, it isn't correct size
My shiny alolan vulpix seemed to be just a normal shiny vulpix
These map titles seem to be a little messed up
Shards1.PNG

This dude stands in front of the stairs depending on which tile you battle him from
Shards3.PNG

These ledges are messed up
Shards4.PNG
Overall, I think this game has potential if it was cleaned up a little bit. I liked the setting and I liked the concept, so I think this could be a full game if you had more time. Great job!

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Heyyoo! I just finished playing your game. I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing it! You should be proud of what you achieved in such a short amount of time. I think the others have already given you solid feedback, so I won't repeat what they've already said. Here are a few extra bugs I noticed:

1. Pokémon Centre is completely passable.
2. Weird red box around this NPC.
3. The PC doesn't work + is passable. The egg salesperson gives you an egg, or at least she says that's the case, even if you say "no".
4. Void + transfer event is set to action button. Same on the other side of the transfer.
5-8. A few issues with events reappearing after they've played out for the first time.
9. Pressing the "cancel" button on Staraptor Taxi takes you to Glaciet Town instead of backing out of the menu.
10. Camphor's evaluation always says 0 rare Pokémon seen/caught regardless of whether that's true or not.

ss2.png

ss4.png

ss5.png

ss6.png

ss7.png

ss8.png

ss9.png

ss10.png

I played on normal mode. I didn't do any grinding specifically, so this could be a benchmark for any balancing you want to do in the future.
ss11.png

An excellent entry. A few minor tile and eventing issues, but these don't take away from the gameplay and charming world you built. Strongly recommend everyone gives this game a go.

Ned

Heyyoo! I just finished playing your game. I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing it! You should be proud of what you achieved in such a short amount of time. I think the others have already given you solid feedback, so I won't repeat what they've already said. Here are a few extra bugs I noticed:

1. Pokémon Centre is completely passable.
2. Weird red box around this NPC.
3. The PC doesn't work + is passable. The egg salesperson gives you an egg, or at least she says that's the case, even if you say "no".
4. Void + transfer event is set to action button. Same on the other side of the transfer.
5-8. A few issues with events reappearing after they've played out for the first time.
9. Pressing the "cancel" button on Staraptor Taxi takes you to Glaciet Town instead of backing out of the menu.
10. Camphor's evaluation always says 0 rare Pokémon seen/caught regardless of whether that's true or not.

1.View attachment 3193
2.View attachment 3194
3.View attachment 3195
4.View attachment 3196
5.View attachment 3197
6.View attachment 3198
7.View attachment 3199
8.View attachment 3200

I played on normal mode. I didn't do any grinding specifically, so this could be a benchmark for any balancing you want to do in the future.
View attachment 3201

An excellent entry. A few minor tile and eventing issues, but these don't take away from the gameplay and charming world you built. Strongly recommend everyone gives this game a go.
Thank you so much for your kind words, I always enjoy seeing people enjoying my game, and also thanks for catching those bugs, I caught a few of those myself, and have been working on fixing them, but either way, I still appreciate it! Thank you!

Ned

Version 0.3 is now out.
Fixed many manyyy bugs, passability issues, event issues, and fixed being able to see the black void in many places.
Hopefully, I fixed everything that was found, let me know if anyone finds any other bugs!
Download Link

luxdiablo

Berserk Inferno
Hi! I was playing through the game and wanted to report a major bug that's preventing me from progressing.

After I complete Quest 2, Garrett talks to me about Camphor and the tier system and then gives me the saw. However, when I talk to him again, he repeats the dialogue. I just finished Quest 3 with the taxi and I traveled back to Glaciet Town, but Garrett still has the dialogue. Therefore, it's impossible for me to finish Quest 3. I also can't heal my Pokemon because Garrett keeps repeating the same dialogue.

Ned

Hi! I was playing through the game and wanted to report a major bug that's preventing me from progressing.

After I complete Quest 2, Garrett talks to me about Camphor and the tier system and then gives me the saw. However, when I talk to him again, he repeats the dialogue. I just finished Quest 3 with the taxi and I traveled back to Glaciet Town, but Garrett still has the dialogue. Therefore, it's impossible for me to finish Quest 3. I also can't heal my Pokemon because Garrett keeps repeating the same dialogue.
Thanks for reporting that, I've looked into it, and I managed to miss a switch turning off, I have fixed the bug, and the new version is here!
Download Link

luxdiablo

Berserk Inferno
Just finished the game! Here are my thoughts:

There's not really much to comment on here. Most of the gameplay was just standard Pokemon battles, which is nice. I think the scaling of trainer levels got a bit intense at times. I'm not sure if the game makes use of level-scaling or what, but it felt like it was really hard to surpass the trainers that I was encountering. I enjoyed the little QoL features that were added, like the multiple save files, the egg maniac, and the fishing spots. Those were nice additions as well. Other than that, there's not much to say here.

The outdoor tilesets you used were gorgeous, and the mapping was pretty good too. I take a slight issue with the indoor mapping, purely because it wasn't nearly as high-quality as the outdoor maps. The indoor maps didn't match the pixel art style, and the indoor maps felt very open and uninteresting. Another thing that I'd like to mention is the battle backgrounds. Of course, those battle backgrounds look good in any game, but I really recommend repositioning the backgrounds to match the placement of the pokemon. It felt super weird seeing the Pokemon uncentered with the background when playing the game. I really liked the fog that you used in the forest. But yeah, just improve the indoor maps and the battle backgrounds, and the visuals will be pretty nice.

I think this is probably the lowest point of the game. The dialogue was EXTREMELY bland and run-on. You somehow managed to fit 5 sentences into 1, which is never a good idea. You really need to audit the dialogue and work on removing commas and replacing them with periods. Cut down on useless information. A lot of the dialogue felt extremely pointless, and the major grammar issues didn't help at all. I found myself just skipping through the dialogue towards the end because I wasn't interested. Another thing that really stood out was how casual it was. Like, Garrett says stuff like "haha, it's meeeee" which is REALLY awkward. I seriously recommend editing the dialogue yourself or getting someone else to do it for you.

• You can see other indoor maps within each other (reference Screenshot 1).
  • You can see the black void in Icy Plains (reference Screenshot 2).
  • You can walk on flowers in Sunflower Plains (reference Screenshot 3 and 4).
  • Tile Error (reference Screenshot 5).
  • A lot of maps don't have music. Apex Ridge, Icy Plains, Glacier Climb, etc. etc. This is really jarring, and I highly recommend you fix this.
  • You can't talk to Nurse Joy or the PokeMart at all, because you forgot to set counter tags on the tiles.
  • This is more of a suggestion, but I'd highly recommend adding a PC to the guild.
1617118030575.png
1617118013606.png

1617118046702.png

1617118059275.png

1617118085499.png

Overall, this is a solid entry, and I had fun playing. Good job!

Back