• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Championship v4.0

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
splash.png

Game Title: Pokémon Championship

About the game:
You have been welcomed to the Einth Region's Championship! The strongest trainers from Kanto to Unova arrive to compete in this tournament! Compete in the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Cup and fight various Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and even Champions!

Game Screenshots:
Pokemon Championship 3_10_2021 4_18_48 PM.png

Pokemon Championship 3_10_2021 4_18_26 PM.png

Pokemon Championship 3_10_2021 4_08_53 PM.png

Pokemon Championship 3_10_2021 4_09_51 PM.png

Game Download:

Made Using: RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials v18.1

Team: King_Waluigi (Me) and my friends Panic 64 and DekuGuy369

Notes:
I used the recently released animated battler script by Luka S.J. and Tenshi of War to make all of the battles more... Animated!

Resource Pack:

Credits:

TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP:
King_Waluigi
Panic 64 (sub to him on YT!)
DekuGuy369

GAME BY:
King_Waluigi

OVERWORLD SPRITES BY:
VanillaSunshine
Neo-Spriteman
PurpleZaffre & Maicerochico
AtomicReactor
Panic 64
DekuGuy369
King_Waluigi

TRAINER SPRITES BY:
Mr. Gela
Bulbapedia
PM50246
Beliot419
Drawnamu
Mid117
King_Waluigi

TRAINER TRANSITIONS FROM:
Bulbapedia
tahayarkhan

MUSIC FROM:
Emdasche
The Pokemon Company
Zame
Pokeli

MID-BATTLE DIALOGUE BY:
Golisopod User
Luka S.J.

ANIMATED BATTLER SCRIPTS BY:
Luka S.J.
Tenshi of War

SPRITE RESIZER BY:
Luka S.J.
Golisopod User

RANDOM POKEMON SCRIPT BY:
Thundaga (aka xCamero!)
Without him, I wouldn't have even thought
about making a fan game!

GEN 4 STYLE TILESETS BY:
Magiscarf
WesleyFG
SailorVicious (Formerly known as Heavy-Metal-Lover)
Shawn Frost
NSora-96
PeekyChew
Kyle-Dove
Claisprojects.com
Minorthreat0987
The-Red-Ex
UltimoSpriter
TyranitarDark
DarkDragonn
rafa-cac
Phyromatical
Alucus
Newtiteuf
ChaoticCherryCake
moca
Akizakura16
King_Waluigi (Made the train in the station)

GEN 8 PROJECT BY:

Sprite Credits:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites-
Luka SJ (Static EBS Sprites)
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites-
All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Front Sprites-
All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Front Sprites-
All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project

Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds-
MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X,
2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark,
Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid,
Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo,
spritesstealer
Gen 6 Overworlds-
princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Overworlds-
Larry Turbo
Gen 8 Overworlds-
SageDeoxys, Wolfang62

Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites- Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites- Marin, MapleBranchWing,
Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites- Larry Turbo, Leparagon

Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries- Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries- Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries- Zeak6464

PBS Credits:
Zerokid, TheToxic, Golisopod User, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier

Script Credits:
Gen 8 Scripts: Vendily, TheToxic, HM100,
Golisopod User, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL,
DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier

UberDunsparce - Compilation of Resources

OTHER TILES USED FROM THE WINTER GAME JAM RESOURCES

{INSERTS_PLUGIN_CREDITS_DO_NOT_REMOVE}
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
help-14<s>Rataime
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Here's where I used the Graphics:
-I used trchar075 for the character King_Waluigi in the Championship Arenas and in the Developer House.
-I used one of the letters as the invitation to the championship at the start of the game.
-The Bronze Leaf was used as the award for completing the Bronze Cup.
-The Silver Leaf was used as the award for completing the Silver Cup.
-The Gold Leaf was used as the award for completing the Gold Cup.
-The Red Jam was used as a healing item known as "GAMEJAM," recovering max HP.

Last edited:

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
So it has come to my attention that there is a pretty large bug in the game. I will be fixing that and reposting the download. The game itself is still playable, but make sure to save and not lose a battle until finding a Pokemon Center and healing up. Thank you for reading this and I hope you have a good day!

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
So it has come to my attention that there is a pretty large bug in the game. I will be fixing that and reposting the download. The game itself is still playable, but make sure to save and not lose a battle until finding a Pokemon Center and healing up. Thank you for reading this and I hope you have a good day!
The bug has been fixed which officially makes this v1.1! Please tell me if there are any other bugs that you find! Thank you, and have a good day!

Hey there! I've been playing a bit of your game so far and I thought I'd share a few bugs that I've encountered along the way.
1616035639970.png

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here, but from the looks of things you aren't supposed to walk on the tile in between the buildings and I can. If not, something with the tiles and layers is messed up.

1616036376350.png

When I reached this question, though it could be all questions from Blaine, I got this one wrong and it crashed the game. Unfortunately I didn't get the error log.

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Hey there! I've been playing a bit of your game so far and I thought I'd share a few bugs that I've encountered along the way.
View attachment 2900
I'm not entirely sure what's going on here, but from the looks of things you aren't supposed to walk on the tile in between the buildings and I can. If not, something with the tiles and layers is messed up.

View attachment 2901
When I reached this question, though it could be all questions from Blaine, I got this one wrong and it crashed the game. Unfortunately I didn't get the error log.
Thank you so much! I'll fix these as soon as I can!

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Pokemon Championship v1.2 now available!!!

-Fixed a bug where if the player lost a battle before healing at the Pokemon Center, the game would crash.
-Fixed priority and map problems in some areas. (Willow Town and Hiarch City)
-Fixed a bug where answering a question wrong in the Blaine battle causes a crash.

Please point out any other bugs you find!

Hey, I've been playing though Championship! I finished off the Bronze tier, and then I decided that I would post some of the bugs and notes I've made so far.

Aesthetic
The title screen and main battle back of this game are a bit messy. They've got bright colours, scribble-like lines, blurs, inconsistent pixel densities.

The mapping and tilesets in this game aren't very pretty to look at, either. You have a lot of open space, with nothing filling them up.

I do, however, really like the music in this game. The battle and final Pokémon themes are quite catchy. They definitely feel fitting for an intense tournament like this.

The Gameplay
The tournament part of the game is a fun loop. My team was absolutely broken, which probably contributes to that feeling, though. Gastrodon swept through probably half of the challengers single-handed, because of its ability and typing.

I do wish, however, that there was more going on in the overworld. Beyond the game corner, which isn't very interesting, there's nothing to do. It would be nice to see fellow challengers, have little sidequests, or other aspects like that.

If I were to offer a quick list of suggestions:
  • Get rid of the need to have Heart Scales for the Move Tutor. It's redundant.
  • Get rid of the useless items in the shops, like Escape Ropes. The player also makes so much money that I see no reason to offer the other status ailment options. Just offer a Full Heal.
  • In the place of the redundant items, add held items.
  • Give the player an option to save the game between battles.
  • If you're not going to fill areas like the route/town/train station, just get rid of them. Have the player walk straight into the tournament hall, and get their Pokémon/items then. They can show the letter the received as proof to gain access to the tournament.
  • Fix the default \r and \b text colours. They're very difficult to read against your dark windowskin.

The Writing
There's not much to say about the game's writing. I wish that there were more NPCs across the world. It would also be cool to have NPCs from the tournament appear in the lobby, after you have defeated them. The only other writing thing of note is that I loved the Blaine battle. It was really cool how you used mid-battle dialogue to influence the course of the fight.

Bugs
1. Alignment.
2. Collision.
3. Collision and tiling errors.
4. Collision and tiling errors.
5. Collision.
6. Collision.
7. Nurses play the healing sound effects, even there is no animation. (The Poké Balls loading into the machine.)
8. Collision and alignment.
9. Collision.
10. Fence doesn't have a transparent shadow.
11. Tiling error.
12. Visible item.
13. Visible NPC.

UT6AW31.png

C4QeCVe.png

qnMVlMz.png

4e29oRL.png

LIQwb7D.png

MiX4yAT.png

K2DVwJR.png

vMQ8tUF.png

zXhJZwz.png

Kh2MBuG.png

byH0i8z.png

cqokg2J.png

9xg6H9z.png

The Squad
cxhmqRr.png

Overall
I enjoyed this entry! There are places where polish is needed, but it didn't stop me from having fun.

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Hey, I've been playing though Championship! I finished off the Bronze tier, and then I decided that I would post some of the bugs and notes I've made so far.

Aesthetic
The title screen and main battle back of this game are a bit messy. They've got bright colours, scribble-like lines, blurs, inconsistent pixel densities.

The mapping and tilesets in this game aren't very pretty to look at, either. You have a lot of open space, with nothing filling them up.

I do, however, really like the music in this game. The battle and final Pokémon themes are quite catchy. They definitely feel fitting for an intense tournament like this.

The Gameplay
The tournament part of the game is a fun loop. My team was absolutely broken, which probably contributes to that feeling, though. Gastrodon swept through probably half of the challengers single-handed, because of its ability and typing.

I do wish, however, that there was more going on in the overworld. Beyond the game corner, which isn't very interesting, there's nothing to do. It would be nice to see fellow challengers, have little sidequests, or other aspects like that.

If I were to offer a quick list of suggestions:
  • Get rid of the need to have Heart Scales for the Move Tutor. It's redundant.
  • Get rid of the useless items in the shops, like Escape Ropes. The player also makes so much money that I see no reason to offer the other status ailment options. Just offer a Full Heal.
  • In the place of the redundant items, add held items.
  • Give the player an option to save the game between battles.
  • If you're not going to fill areas like the route/town/train station, just get rid of them. Have the player walk straight into the tournament hall, and get their Pokémon/items then. They can show the letter the received as proof to gain access to the tournament.
  • Fix the default \r and \b text colours. They're very difficult to read against your dark windowskin.

The Writing
There's not much to say about the game's writing. I wish that there were more NPCs across the world. It would also be cool to have NPCs from the tournament appear in the lobby, after you have defeated them. The only other writing thing of note is that I loved the Blaine battle. It was really cool how you used mid-battle dialogue to influence the course of the fight.

Bugs
1. Alignment.
2. Collision.
3. Collision and tiling errors.
4. Collision and tiling errors.
5. Collision.
6. Collision.
7. Nurses play the healing sound effects, even there is no animation. (The Poké Balls loading into the machine.)
8. Collision and alignment.
9. Collision.
10. Fence doesn't have a transparent shadow.
11. Tiling error.
12. Visible item.
13. Visible NPC.

UT6AW31.png

C4QeCVe.png

qnMVlMz.png

4e29oRL.png

LIQwb7D.png

MiX4yAT.png

K2DVwJR.png

vMQ8tUF.png

zXhJZwz.png

Kh2MBuG.png

byH0i8z.png

cqokg2J.png

9xg6H9z.png

The Squad
cxhmqRr.png

Overall
I enjoyed this entry! There are places where polish is needed, but it didn't stop me from having fun.
Thank you so much for the feedback! I'll get this fixed as soon as possible. As for the battles, I purposely only let the player save after beating a section of the tournament just to keep at least somewhat of a challenge. Let me fix up the tileset problems such as priority, and then I'll put out another update! I was planning on fixing the heart scale issue, but I forgot! Thank you for reminding me! I definitely add the NPCs from the tournament into the lobby, thank you for the suggestion! As for map size, I probably won't fix that. Once you beat the game, there is a good chunk of postgame content! Thank you for playing, and I am glad you enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the feedback! I'll get this fixed as soon as possible. As for the battles, I purposely only let the player save after beating a section of the tournament just to keep at least somewhat of a challenge. Let me fix up the tileset problems such as priority, and then I'll put out another update! I was planning on fixing the heart scale issue, but I forgot! Thank you for reminding me! I definitely add the NPCs from the tournament into the lobby, thank you for the suggestion! As for map size, I probably won't fix that. Once you beat the game, there is a good chunk of postgame content! Thank you for playing, and I am glad you enjoyed it!
Oh yeah, I completely see what you mean by the challenge thing now. I can't believe I overlooked that. 🤦‍♀️ For me, the real challenge was to not get interrupted by dinner or DMs or other little things, haha.

I guess the optimal solution would be to set up the system like the Battle Tower, where you can save or retreat, but get kicked out if you soft reset. (I know it's possible to do in Essentials v17.2, but I can't speak for if it's any different in v18. I don't see any reason why not, though.)

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Oh yeah, I completely see what you mean by the challenge thing now. I can't believe I overlooked that. 🤦‍♀️ For me, the real challenge was to not get interrupted by dinner or DMs or other little things, haha.

I guess the optimal solution would be to set up the system like the Battle Tower, where you can save or retreat, but get kicked out if you soft reset. (I know it's possible to do in Essentials v17.2, but I can't speak for if it's any different in v18. I don't see any reason why not, though.)
I will look into that, but I don't want to change too much until the Game Jam is completely over. I'm planning on doing a Kalos, Alola, Galar, and Special Trainer update in the future that will have new tournaments to compete in, the ability to Mega Evolve and even Permadeath mode! Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!

I will look into that, but I don't want to change too much until the Game Jam is completely over. I'm planning on doing a Kalos, Alola, Galar, and Special Trainer update in the future that will have new tournaments to compete in, the ability to Mega Evolve and even Permadeath mode! Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!
Oooh, that sounds really cool! One thing I forgot to ask about is whether you'd consider adding a doubles/triple option in a future version of the game? Or maybe some rounds of the tournament would just be doubles/triples by default. I think that could give it some versatility as well.

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Oooh, that sounds really cool! One thing I forgot to ask about is whether you'd consider adding a doubles/triple option in a future version of the game? Or maybe some rounds of the tournament would just be doubles/triples by default. I think that could give it some versatility as well.
That does seem like a good idea! I will definitely consider that! It would probably be a bit limited but still pretty cool! I do believe the Tate and Liza battle was 2v2?

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Pokemon Championship v1.3 is now available!

-Fixed some more priority issues.
-Fixed ugly tile areas.
-Fixed the item selection for purchasable items to be more fitting.
-Added NPC characters to the Championship Lobby.
-Removed the need for Heart Scales to relearn moves.

Please point out any other bugs you find!

Hi again, I've been continuing playing and I ran across an error when facing Norman when he was about to send in Spinda. I'll put the error I got in the spoiler.
[Pokémon Essentials version 18.1]
Exception: RGSSError

Backtrace:
"EBS" v18.1:98:in `clear'
"EBS" v18.1:98:in `update'
PokeBattle_SceneElements:571:in `update'
PokeBattle_Scene:58:in `pbFrameUpdate'
PokeBattle_Scene:55:in `each_with_index'
PokeBattle_Scene:55:in `each'
PokeBattle_Scene:55:in `pbFrameUpdate'
PokeBattle_Scene:21:in `pbUpdate'
Scene_Commands:35:in `pbCommandMenuEx'

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Hi again, I've been continuing playing and I ran across an error when facing Norman when he was about to send in Spinda. I'll put the error I got in the spoiler.
[Pokémon Essentials version 18.1]
Exception: RGSSError

Backtrace:
"EBS" v18.1:98:in `clear'
"EBS" v18.1:98:in `update'
PokeBattle_SceneElements:571:in `update'
PokeBattle_Scene:58:in `pbFrameUpdate'
PokeBattle_Scene:55:in `each'
PokeBattle_Scene:55:in `pbFrameUpdate'
PokeBattle_Scene:21:in `pbUpdate'
Scene_Commands:35:in `pbCommandMenuEx'
Hm, I'm not sure about that. Are you playing the newest version (v1.3)? Someone else played and got past that part without crashing, so it may just be a random crash. Sorry.

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Hey there! Just reporting in to say that I encountered the same bug as Cadeorade5 on Norman's Spinda. I downloaded v1.3 this morning. Here's the backtrace if that's useful:

This message appears first.
ss1.png

And then this message appears seemingly infinitely.
ss2.png

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Hey there! Just reporting in to say that I encountered the same bug as Cadeorade5 on Norman's Spinda. I downloaded v1.3 this morning. Here's the backtrace if that's useful:

This message appears first.
View attachment 3355
And then this message appears seemingly infinitely.
View attachment 3356
I will definitely look into this, thank you for telling me!

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
So it seems that Spinda in particular is just broken as heck, it always causes crashes anywhere. Not sure how I overlooked that, but I will just be removing it from the game and give Norman a second Slaking. This update will release later today along with some new postgame. Thank you all so much, and please continue providing feedback!

Back