• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Animated Sprites for vanilla Essentials

Resource Animated Sprites for vanilla Essentials 2.0

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos

Tenshi of War

Novice
Did you include the section for shadow mons in your instructions? Because there's "animatedbitmap" there too.
Actually I didn't. I never thinked about shadow pokémons because I don't really like the idea, so they didn't come to my mind. I don't even know how Essentials manages them. But you can just replace the old istances of animatedBitmap with the new wrapper ones (be careful about the fact that the new wrapper needs two values when you "initialize" it).

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Actually I didn't. I never thinked about shadow pokémons because I don't really like the idea, so they didn't come to my mind. I don't even know how Essentials manages them. But you can just replace the old istances of animatedBitmap with the new wrapper ones (be careful about the fact that the new wrapper needs two values when you "initialize" it).
Yeah, I thought as much, I was getting a couple of errors related to shadow mons. I just commented that part out to be honest. They are right beneath the same section though! Take a look at the highlighted part,

EDIT: Around 114, 120 in the full script

PSystem_FileUtilities:
   for j in 0...2   # Try using the species' internal name and then its ID number
      next if trySpecies==0 && j==0
      trySpeciesText = (j==0) ? getConstantName(PBSpecies,trySpecies) : sprintf("%03d",trySpecies)
      bitmapFileName = sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%s%s%s%s%s%s",
         trySpeciesText,
         (tryGender) ? "f" : "",
         (tryShiny) ? "s" : "",
         (tryBack) ? "b" : "",
         (tryForm!=0) ? "_"+tryForm.to_s : "",
         (tryShadow) ? "_shadow" : "") rescue nil
      ret = pbResolveBitmap(bitmapFileName)
      return ret if ret
    end
  end
  return nil
end

def pbLoadPokemonShadowBitmap(pokemon)
  bitmapFileName = pbCheckPokemonShadowBitmapFiles(pokemon.species,pokemon.form)
  return AnimatedPokemonBitmap.new(pbResolveBitmap(bitmapFileName)) if bitmapFileName
  return nil
end

def pbLoadPokemonShadowBitmapSpecies(pokemon,species)
  bitmapFileName = pbCheckPokemonShadowBitmapFiles(species,pokemon.form)
  return AnimatedPokemonBitmap.new(pbResolveBitmap(bitmapFileName)) if bitmapFileName
  return nil
end

def pbCheckPokemonShadowBitmapFiles(species,form,fullmetrics=nil)
  if form>0
    bitmapFileName = sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%s_%d_battleshadow",getConstantName(PBSpecies,species),form) rescue nil
    return bitmapFileName if ret
    bitmapFileName = sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d_%d_battleshadow",species,form)
  end
  bitmapFileName = sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%s_battleshadow",getConstantName(PBSpecies,species)) rescue nil
  bitmapFileName = sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d_battleshadow",species)
  # Load metrics and use that graphic
  fullmetrics = pbLoadSpeciesMetrics if !fullmetrics
  size = (fullmetrics[MetricBattlerShadowSize][pbGetFSpeciesFromForm(species,form)] || 2)
  bitmapFileName = sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/Battle/battler_shadow_%d",size)
  return bitmapFileName if pbResolveBitmap(bitmapFileName)
  return nil
end

Last edited:

optimus-code

Rookie
This is a great piece of work, thanks for the script! I have discovered some issues with moves like Fly and Dig, the Pokemon don't appear to move/disappear, is there any way to fix this?

Tenshi of War

Novice
This is a great piece of work, thanks for the script! I have discovered some issues with moves like Fly and Dig, the Pokemon don't appear to move/disappear, is there any way to fix this?
I just tested both fly and dig and there is absolutely no issue with them. Did you properly install the code in PSystem_FileUtilities?

Tenshi of War

Novice
Support with zud plugin?
I already said the compatible scripts in the relative section. Everything else is to test out and is up to you. The script just replaces the static sprites with the animated ones, I don't see how a script that changes the battle-system and its UI should not be compatible however. Moreover, I don't get why you replied to the fly and dig problem. Is the script related to that? How? Please, explain.

Lucidious89

Champion
Support with zud plugin?
This is already compatible with ZUD. Just make the script edits found in the instructions in ZUD_08_Updated_Sprites, instead of in PSystem_FileUtilities.

The cool Treecko

Novice
hmm i notice that the sprites dont have animated shadows, my friend techskylander1518 has made a script for it. i would be glad to put it here as its for my game and techskylander has given permisson.

put this in a new script section above main.
remember to credit luka.S.J and techskylander1518 as it is largely luka's work.
and keep an eye out for bugs in it.

welcome!

Alpha Kittens

Rookie
Is this resource compatible with the recently released Pokemon Essentials v19? I noticed that the script editing section of the installation doesn't work on it because the relevant parts of the script don't seem to be there (maybe under a very different name). Will these instructions be updated for v19 sometime soon?
1620266053358.png

^this is what it looks like in v19, in case anyone knows offhand where to find those particular script sections. I couldn't find it under Utilities.

Wally13

Rookie
Is this resource compatible with the recently released Pokemon Essentials v19? I noticed that the script editing section of the installation doesn't work on it because the relevant parts of the script don't seem to be there (maybe under a very different name). Will these instructions be updated for v19 sometime soon?
View attachment 4097
^this is what it looks like in v19, in case anyone knows offhand where to find those particular script sections. I couldn't find it under Utilities.
Did you find a fix or way to do it yet?

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Hi everyone, while I haven't taken a look at the corresponding 20.1 "file utils" (though I do believe it should be in "battle" or "species", especially species_files sections and scripts), it's fairly easy to update the script itself to 20.1

replace this line (should be line 66, under speed settings)

Ruby:
@bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap(file)
with

Ruby:
@bitmap=RPG::Cache.load_bitmap("", file)

This will make the script itself compatible with 20.1. If someone knows where to replace the bitmap calls with the custom calls, so that this works in-battle, summary, and pokedex, please comment here.

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Hi everyone, while I haven't taken a look at the corresponding 20.1 "file utils" (though I do believe it should be in "battle" or "species", especially species_files sections and scripts), it's fairly easy to update the script itself to 20.1

replace this line (should be line 66, under speed settings)

@bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap(file)

with

@bitmap=RPG::Cache.load_bitmap("", file)

This will make the script itself compatible with 20.1. If someone knows where to replace the bitmap calls with the custom calls, so that this works in-battle, summary, and pokedex, please comment here.
Following up on this, you only need to change, around line 70 of Species_files the three instances of

Ruby:
return (filename) ? AnimatedBitmap.new(filename) : nil
to

Ruby:
return (filename) ? AnimatedPokemonBitmap.new(filename) : nil

as well as the instances in the shadow pokemon section around line 158 and further down.

And that's it! (dont know how that form section is handled tho)

thebigguy270

Novice
The new portrait resource says it's for v20.1, but it's not updated to say it's compatible with it. Is that the case?

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I was looking more for a plug in play option.
Fam I understand the need, I did the same when I started out, but it doesn't require you to mess around that much. Might be kinda hard (not by a lot though) at first but it's effort well spent. Otherwise you might want to wait for an updated version of EBDX, which I assume will use animated sprites.

Back