• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Ends

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
logowebsite.png

Game Title
Pokémon Ends
Downloads
Pokémon Ends v1.3
Game Screenshots
Screenshot2.png

Screenshot3.png

Screenshot4.png

5Screenshot4.png

Screenshot1.png
Game Download:
Made Using

RPG Maker XP and Pokémon Essentials v18.1
Team
Ace Gamer Andy
About the Game
The game is story-driven and is about the end of the world. The fastest I completed the game was 26 minutes.
Resource Pack
Gunshot Sound by: Adam Monroe

Battlbacks from Elite Battle System by: Luka S. J.

Silver frlg sprite by: Skeizerr

Fire Ball, Water Ball, and Grass Ball Icon Sprites also player sprites by: Relic Castle Staff

Music by: Ace Gamer Andy

Graphics by: Ace Gamer Andy

Menu and Title Screen Script by: Luka S.J.

Mid Battle Dialogue Script by: Luka S. J. and Golisopod User

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
help-14<s>Rataime
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

I had the trainer sprite of the character during the Sirfetch'd battle be trainer072_2. Then the player sprite was trchar072_2. Lastly, I used tile_1 in Logan's office.

Last edited:

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Pokémon Ends v1.1 is out!
It's nothing much it's just a small update.
I forgot to have the credits scene in the original release but it's in this one. Also, there was a typo a friend spotted so that's fixed. There are no major bugs and the credits are in this thread in the post so read through that if you play through 1.0. There's no absolute need if you've started 1.0 to play 1.1. But if you haven't started play 1.1 because there are some brutal credit sprites.

Samdeman123124

Novice
Hey, some praise and critique here! (Spoiler Warning)
Praise: An overall good game that felt like it could be an amazing episode of a manga. I loved the little "game show" towards the end, and it had me wondering what was happening next. At first I thought it was going to be a "it was just a game" type ending, but was pleasantly surprised.
Critique: The shading for Mark's hair wasn't great in my eyes, and some of the dialogue felt a little stiff and dry. I feel like coloring NPC text could have fixed some of this, along with perhaps splitting it up more.

A good game jam overall!

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Hey, some praise and critique here! (Spoiler Warning)
Praise: An overall good game that felt like it could be an amazing episode of a manga. I loved the little "game show" towards the end, and it had me wondering what was happening next. At first I thought it was going to be a "it was just a game" type ending, but was pleasantly surprised.
Critique: The shading for Mark's hair wasn't great in my eyes, and some of the dialogue felt a little stiff and dry. I feel like coloring NPC text could have fixed some of this, along with perhaps splitting it up more.

A good game jam overall!
Thnx for the critiques and praises. I chose to make the game story-driven because that's what I'm good at, well best at for the game-making process. Also yeah, for the ending thing I try not to be as predictable as possible. But I will work on spriting and dialogue for my summer game jam game. Thank you for the feedback!

Finally got around to playing this game. I have a bit to say, but first of all I just want to acknowledge how far you've come from your last game that wasn't even that long ago. I think you should be proud of all the progress you've made. Anyway I'll get into spoiler territory now
-This was a fun game, very story focused, and quite a dark story at that. Something interesting to see in a fangame.
-A lot of pretty good graphics/edits of graphics, it was nice seeing a lot of custom stuff in your game.
-Speaking of custom stuff, the soundtrack was all made by you?!?! I really respect that, not many people can pull off something like that.
-I found a lot of the outdoor maps to be too big and open, but the indoor maps were fairly well done. Although it would be nice if you could interact with more objects inside.
-The game had a pretty wide range of pokemon to choose from, I wish we had been given more pokeballs so I could play around with them a bit more. I really wanted to use alolan vulpix.
-I know why the player wasn't given run shoes, but it would've helped a lot
-I really liked the gameshow section with sabrina, that was fun and felt like I was rewarded for paying attention
-I'm a bit sad that we never got to encounter the purple eyed mewtwo properly, it has a lot of mystery built up around it, it would've made for an awesome final fight. But maybe you're saving the mewtwo for something else.
-More on that, the ending was certainly interesting, I was left wanting more! It really ended like that?! Like man, screw my dad, I don't care what the people in my head say.
Okay I think that's all of it. But yeah, great to see you making another game,and a pretty good one at that! At this rate, if you make another game for the next game jam, it is gonna be something special. Good luck!

Last edited:

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Finally got around to playing this game. I have a bit to say, but first of all I just want to acknowledge how far you've come from your last game that wasn't even that long ago. I think you should be proud of all the progress you've made. Anyway I'll get into spoiler territory now
-This was a fun game, very story focused, and quite a dark story at that. Something interesting to see in a fangame.
-A lot of pretty good graphics/edits of graphics, it was nice seeing a lot of custom stuff in your game.
-Speaking of custom stuff, the soundtrack was all made by you?!?! I really respect that, not many people can pull off something like that.
-I found a lot of the outdoor maps to be too big and open, but the indoor maps were fairly well done. Although it would be nice if you could interact with more objects inside.
-The game had a pretty wide range of pokemon to choose from, I wish we had been given more pokeballs so I could play around with them a bit more. I really wanted to use alolan vulpix.
-I know why the player wasn't given run shoes, but it would've helped a lot
-I really liked the gameshow section with sabrina, that was fun and felt like I was rewarded for paying attention
-I'm a bit sad that we never got to encounter the purple eyed mewtwo properly, it has a lot of mystery built up around it, it would've made for an awesome final fight. But maybe you're saving the mewtwo for something else.
-More on that, the ending was certainly interesting, I was left wanting more! It really ended like that?! Like man, screw my dad, I don't care what the people in my head say.
Okay I think that's all of it. But yeah, great to see you making another game,and a pretty good one at that! At this rate, if you make another game for the next game jam, it is gonna be something special. Good luck!
Yeah, for my next game I’ll work on mapping and all you said here and any critiques people say. I’m happy that people are enjoying this more than trapped and all I’m going to say about the mewtwo thing and the ending is... this is a trilogy, see you in the finale.

luxdiablo

Berserk Inferno
Hi! Good job on releasing a game, especially this quickly! I have a few notes down below:

Praise:
  • This is a really unique premise! It's a neat take with the required assets, and I think it works well.
  • A lot of the dialogue is really funny. I like the Rocket Grunts a lot.

• Not having the Running Shoes really bothered me :/
  • The stairs feel kinda weird. When I go down, the stairs are facing the left, but then on the bottom floor, they're facing the right.
  • Kuji Jr. should appear onscreen before speaking.
  • Instead of saying stuff like 'They pushed me onto the ground.' or 'They stole my Pokemon', you could totally show that off with eventing and SFX! Remember, show, don't tell.
  • I can walk on the tower. There's no passability.
  • Sirfetch'd never went to my PC.

Overall, this was a very interesting game to play. Good job again!

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Hi! Good job on releasing a game, especially this quickly! I have a few notes down below:

Praise:
  • This is a really unique premise! It's a neat take with the required assets, and I think it works well.
  • A lot of the dialogue is really funny. I like the Rocket Grunts a lot.

• Not having the Running Shoes really bothered me :/
  • The stairs feel kinda weird. When I go down, the stairs are facing the left, but then on the bottom floor, they're facing the right.
  • Kuji Jr. should appear onscreen before speaking.
  • Instead of saying stuff like 'They pushed me onto the ground.' or 'They stole my Pokemon', you could totally show that off with eventing and SFX! Remember, show, don't tell.
  • I can walk on the tower. There's no passability.
  • Sirfetch'd never went to my PC.

Overall, this was a very interesting game to play. Good job again!
Thank you for your review. I fixed your feedback and I'm going to post it as v1.2 now. Thanks for the feedback!

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Pokémon Ends v1.2 is out!
It's a bigger update than 1.1! Here's what I changed.
I changed the stairs and added passability to the Kuji Co. building because I forgot to do that in the first release. I changed some of the cutscenes a bit, same story and dialogue just a different way to do it. I made it that you just get Sirfetch'd and you don't catch him. You also get Running Shoes in the Lab.

Last edited:

Dedbed

Novice
Heyo! I just finished Ends and I have a little feedback for ya!

• The stairs are a little weird. You can enter the going down stairs from the top and you just move above the stairs instead
  • There is a scientist that says something like, "When I grow up I want to be a scientist, I want to be a scientist"
  • The battle back with the 3 rocket grunts I noticed had a weird line on the left side of the screen
  • The Red House below the starting tower has a flower on the lower layers that clips through the house on the sides
1615887598530.png
  • After Lab when roaming around you can jump on top of the rock in wasteland because of the jump ledge and get stuck
1615888171486.png
  • For cutscenes maybe add some animations or characters turning to add a little life to characters. I had the same things in my game at points and little movements and animations goes a long way.
  • You can enter Rocket Prism without doing the Gym section
  • Weird Tiling in Rocket Prism F-1
1615888741124.png
  • Rocket Prism Map has a some overlapping text
1615888830913.png

• It may seem like I am bashing a bit but this is not the case. When I play games I like to explore every bit that I can and am used to beta/bug testing these Fan Games now so I know what to look out for. Lots of feedback = better results for future projects!

• I will say I like the Music and Dialogue a lot! It's a real JAM and I enjoyed playing it.
Keep up the great work and can't wait to see what you do in the future!

Last edited:

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Heyo! I just finished Ends and I have a little feedback for ya!

• The stairs are a little weird. You can enter the going down stairs from the top and you just move above the stairs instead
  • There is a scientist that says something like, "When I grow up I want to be a scientist, I want to be a scientist"
  • The battle back with the 3 rocket grunts I noticed had a weird line on the left side of the screen
  • The Red House below the starting tower has a flower on the lower layers that clips through the house on the sides
  • After Lab when roaming around you can jump on top of the rock in wasteland because of the jump ledge and get stuck
  • For cutscenes maybe add some animations or characters turning to add a little life to characters. I had the same things in my game at points and little movements and animations goes a long way.
  • You can enter Rocket Prism without doing the Gym section
  • Weird Tiling in Rocket Prism F-1
  • Rocket Prism Map has a some overlapping text

• It may seem like I am bashing a bit but this is not the case. When I play games I like to explore every bit that I can and am used to beta/bug testing these Fan Games now so I know what to look out for. Lots of feedback = better results for future projects!

• I will say I like the Music and Dialogue a lot! It's a real JAM and I enjoyed playing it.
Keep up the great work and can't wait to see what you do in the future!
Thank you for your feedback! I will fix these right away.

Joroma

Novice
Just finished playing! I spent 34 minutes playing and overall had a lot of fun. I like the interesting characters and twists, and I like how you took a familiar team and found an interesting setting. I also liked the darker tone and how you made weapons and Pokémon coexist. I like some of the details, but I felt like there were spots where there wasn't enough detail. For example, the whole outdoor area was very large, open, and had decorations scattered around with no real purpose. The bottom left corner was one I noticed that just had no point in going to. I also noticed that although you obtain the running shoes, they don't work when I press the normal run button (I don't know if this is an error on my part, but I would look into it if you are going to update the game). I liked the gameshow, but the writing could've been cleaner. I also found the battlebacks and Pokémon backsprites to clash a little bit and make the Pokémon seem like they are floating. Other than that, there were just a few tiling/eventing errors (and a weird shading to Archer's hair). The music was incredible! I loved it and I had so much fun listening to it, so thank you for having a unique soundtrack. Overall, I'm glad you could make a game that you're proud of and that I had fun playing! The music was so good and I liked your unique concept. I'm excited to see you grow and I'm glad you're putting in the work to polish it up!

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Just finished playing! I spent 34 minutes playing and overall had a lot of fun. I like the interesting characters and twists, and I like how you took a familiar team and found an interesting setting. I also liked the darker tone and how you made weapons and Pokémon coexist. I like some of the details, but I felt like there were spots where there wasn't enough detail. For example, the whole outdoor area was very large, open, and had decorations scattered around with no real purpose. The bottom left corner was one I noticed that just had no point in going to. I also noticed that although you obtain the running shoes, they don't work when I press the normal run button (I don't know if this is an error on my part, but I would look into it if you are going to update the game). I liked the gameshow, but the writing could've been cleaner. I also found the battlebacks and Pokémon backsprites to clash a little bit and make the Pokémon seem like they are floating. Other than that, there were just a few tiling/eventing errors (and a weird shading to Archer's hair). The music was incredible! I loved it and I had so much fun listening to it, so thank you for having a unique soundtrack. Overall, I'm glad you could make a game that you're proud of and that I had fun playing! The music was so good and I liked your unique concept. I'm excited to see you grow and I'm glad you're putting in the work to polish it up!
Thank you for your feedback! I am going to fix the running shoes and all the above-mentioned bugs in an update, I'm just waiting for enough time to finish it all, but I am going to fix up mapping and dialogue in the next game. Also, I'm glad you like the soundtrack, if you want to listen to it all the music is in the resources file which you can download.

Finished Ends, here are my thoughts.

Aesthetic
There's not much for me to comment on graphics-wise, but the game's outdoor maps are in need of some work. I understand the aesthetic you were going for, but there is absolutely no need for all the extra space that you have. The only thing it does for the player is pad out the time it takes them to walk from point A to B.

It also would have been nice to see some tiles that actually convey the supposed end of the world. (Destroyed buildings, dead trees, abandoned cars/objects, etc.) (If there are no more Pokémon, then by all rights, the local ecosystems should be in shambles.)

On a lighter note, I did like the custom tracks for this game, especially the title screen theme.

The Gameplay
There's not much to comment on here, either. I ran through the game pretty quickly, and the battles were fine. If I were to give a few pointers, it would be:
1. Get rid of the default midi music.
2. Add the running shoes.
3. Give the Pokémon to the player silently, instead of forcing them to mash through obtaining 6 mons in a row.
4. Make the first battle outside a triple battle, seeing as the player gets a full team of 6.
5. Make the gunshot sound more obvious. Right now, it's just a faint "pop."
6. Make it so that you can't run from the Sirfetch'd battle.

The Writing
The ideas behind the story are fine, for the most part. It's the execution I take issue with in this game.

The first thing I noticed is that this game tells a lot, more than it shows. This is particularly true with the end of the world theme. Everyone talks about how it is the end of the world, how everything is over, etc. But there's very little to actually indicate that. Like I discussed in the aesthetic section, the world still seems decently alive. There's plant life, there's water... Not much really conveys an end of the world environment, so it just makes the idea seem forced.

This issue also popped up with the characters. We know next to nothing about the main character's personality, and writing them multiple sad backstories doesn't do much to improve on that. I find it very difficult to care about Mark or Silver when the player only exchanges a few lines with them. But, right after Mark's death, the player is all for avenging him. When you learn about Silver's connection to the player, it's an allegedly important one... despite it having little to no impact on the plot.

I also don't understand why the player would listen to anything that the dead are saying about Giovanni. They take a massive heel turn in trying to redeem him. If Giovanni really is responsible for the end of the world, and the killing of so many, then there is absolutely no reason why the player should think he is redeemable. More than that, why would the player listen to their mother, the same one who they just called terrible? Ditto for the Blue situation. You'd think he would just arrest Giovanni before he killed the player, given how everyone blabs about the state of the world being his fault.

The dialogue in this game has issues, too. There's lots of yelling, and extra exclamation points. The majority of the characters talk with the same tone. (Short sentences, awkward syntax, informal language.) There is no distinction between them as a result. Try to work on making your dialogue seem more natural in the future.

Again, the ideas you have for the story are fine. It would be very interesting to see a post-apocalyptic world, where Team Rocket is in charge. I thought the Sabrina section was a neat way to make the player learn more, even if it was heavy-handed. The reference to Trapped made me snicker as well. There just needs to be more polish.

Bugs
1. Oak gets stuck at the bottom.
2. Move route.
3. Move route.
4. Reflection visible.
5. You can talk to Mark after he dies.
6. Gym entrance needs to push you back, or something, so that you can't go in.
7. Archer hops from one location to the next after this fight.

PfoIP1Z.png

xO9Tuhq.gif

wkHEMmD.gif

MtFT6wl.png

wPgbV9B.png

n0Rw2QA.png

D3FfkZV.png

Overall
I'm sorry this isn't the most positive comment, but those are my honest thoughts on the game. Nevertheless, I can see a lot of improvement from your previous works, and the game does have nuggets of good ideas.

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Finished Ends, here are my thoughts.

Aesthetic
There's not much for me to comment on graphics-wise, but the game's outdoor maps are in need of some work. I understand the aesthetic you were going for, but there is absolutely no need for all the extra space that you have. The only thing it does for the player is pad out the time it takes them to walk from point A to B.

It also would have been nice to see some tiles that actually convey the supposed end of the world. (Destroyed buildings, dead trees, abandoned cars/objects, etc.) (If there are no more Pokémon, then by all rights, the local ecosystems should be in shambles.)

On a lighter note, I did like the custom tracks for this game, especially the title screen theme.

The Gameplay
There's not much to comment on here, either. I ran through the game pretty quickly, and the battles were fine. If I were to give a few pointers, it would be:
1. Get rid of the default midi music.
2. Add the running shoes.
3. Give the Pokémon to the player silently, instead of forcing them to mash through obtaining 6 mons in a row.
4. Make the first battle outside a triple battle, seeing as the player gets a full team of 6.
5. Make the gunshot sound more obvious. Right now, it's just a faint "pop."
6. Make it so that you can't run from the Sirfetch'd battle.

The Writing
The ideas behind the story are fine, for the most part. It's the execution I take issue with in this game.

The first thing I noticed is that this game tells a lot, more than it shows. This is particularly true with the end of the world theme. Everyone talks about how it is the end of the world, how everything is over, etc. But there's very little to actually indicate that. Like I discussed in the aesthetic section, the world still seems decently alive. There's plant life, there's water... Not much really conveys an end of the world environment, so it just makes the idea seem forced.

This issue also popped up with the characters. We know next to nothing about the main character's personality, and writing them multiple sad backstories doesn't do much to improve on that. I find it very difficult to care about Mark or Silver when the player only exchanges a few lines with them. But, right after Mark's death, the player is all for avenging him. When you learn about Silver's connection to the player, it's an allegedly important one... despite it having little to no impact on the plot.

I also don't understand why the player would listen to anything that the dead are saying about Giovanni. They take a massive heel turn in trying to redeem him. If Giovanni really is responsible for the end of the world, and the killing of so many, then there is absolutely no reason why the player should think he is redeemable. More than that, why would the player listen to their mother, the same one who they just called terrible? Ditto for the Blue situation. You'd think he would just arrest Giovanni before he killed the player, given how everyone blabs about the state of the world being his fault.

The dialogue in this game has issues, too. There's lots of yelling, and extra exclamation points. The majority of the characters talk with the same tone. (Short sentences, awkward syntax, informal language.) There is no distinction between them as a result. Try to work on making your dialogue seem more natural in the future.

Again, the ideas you have for the story are fine. It would be very interesting to see a post-apocalyptic world, where Team Rocket is in charge. I thought the Sabrina section was a neat way to make the player learn more, even if it was heavy-handed. The reference to Trapped made me snicker as well. There just needs to be more polish.

Bugs
1. Oak gets stuck at the bottom.
2. Move route.
3. Move route.
4. Reflection visible.
5. You can talk to Mark after he dies.
6. Gym entrance needs to push you back, or something, so that you can't go in.
7. Archer hops from one location to the next after this fight.

PfoIP1Z.png

xO9Tuhq.gif

wkHEMmD.gif

MtFT6wl.png

wPgbV9B.png

n0Rw2QA.png

D3FfkZV.png

Overall
I'm sorry this isn't the most positive comment, but those are my honest thoughts on the game. Nevertheless, I can see a lot of improvement from your previous works, and the game does have nuggets of good ideas.
Hi, thank you for all your feedback! I will keep it all into consideration for my next game. I fixed the bugs you spoke of, most of them at least, and releasing a hopefully final version. I'm glad that you enjoyed the music!

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Pokémon Ends v1.3 is out!
Here is some changes! I won't have any, I honestly forgot them because I made this back at March 19 I just forgot to post it.
I made it that you ACTUALLY get running shoes in the Lab. I fixed some things with the stairs so it doesn't get, weird. You don't see your reflection at the Prison/Gym. That is what I remember, it's a bug-fixing update, I fixed all the bugs stated above so, if you find any more bugs please tell me!

Aurora

Trainer
Wtf is going on here? Spoiler alert! Hi, i just finished your game and i will comment only the story part. Team Rocket kills everyone but you never explained the reason for this. Also, logan 's family tries to change his mind for revenge , when he hadn't a chance at the 1st place.If it was Giovanni's illusion test, which is the point?He killed him even though he was good. In the end, Blue appears out of nowhere and he works in ?police?. Then why did he killed logan in front of him? To go in prison? Overall i think it's an ok game, but the story was confusing for me with many holes.

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Wtf is going on here? Spoiler alert! Hi, i just finished your game and i will comment only the story part. Team Rocket kills everyone but you never explained the reason for this. Also, logan 's family tries to change his mind for revenge , when he hadn't a chance at the 1st place.If it was Giovanni's illusion test, which is the point?He killed him even though he was good. In the end, Blue appears out of nowhere and he works in ?police?. Then why did he killed logan in front of him? To go in prison? Overall i think it's an ok game, but the story was confusing for me with many holes.
Alright, things were not explained the best in game but I’ll explain them here. Spoiler Alert: Team Rocket kills everyone so they have control over the world and no one can stop them and because of their numbers no one can come close to beating them. The illusion test was not made by Giovanni it was made by Sabrina to make sure if you could last you are strong in mind and strength. Also yes Blue started working for the police after the death of prof oak to maybe help bring the word back in order so he was trying to find the rocket prism to stop them. Giovanni kills Logan in front of Blue because he already killed so many people Blue would arrest him anyway, plus he lets Blue arrest him he could have had Archer battle and kill Blue but he just willingly went with Blue so he didn’t care about that. I hope this clears things up for you, and thank you for reviewing the game!

Back