• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Sunset (Progress Check)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
nRWbyKZ.png

Introduction: This game is a double-battle focused Pokemon game, with the option to fight alongside Partners that join you throughout your Journey. You'll be able to view and level your Trainer's Pokemon as well as adjust them by using TM's and giving them held items. With adjusted experience formula, you'll be able to train up Pokemon under level 50 quickly so you can adjust your party to beat specific opponents.

Starters: Kirlia, Absol, Riolu
RzX1pNj.png

Plot: Various things have been disappearing all over Orange Peak. Is it a Pokemon? A thief? Investigate with Yuki as one discovery leads to a never ending spiral of mystery.

Features:
- Partner's Pokemon party screen (Can use TMs and have them hold Items)
- Your Partner's Pokemon can level up
- Switch between multiple Partners
- Control your Partner's Pokemon in Battle
- Almost every trainer battle is Double Battle
- New experimental Fishing mechanic
- Skip certain long cutscenes by holding the down key (at the beginning of each cutscene)
- Gen 7 Pokemon and Abilities
- Adjusted multiple Pokemon to evolve normally by leveling without having to trade, happiness, etc.

To do's and Known bugs
- Can't use items on Partner's Pokemon in battle.
- Plan to further customize your Partner's Pokemon (Change name and Remember moves)
- Update various art assets (In battle Partner sprites, etc)
- Pokedex UI update and number adjustments
- Plan to add more NPCs
- Aquarin Town is under extreme construction (no content)
- Possible plan to disable use items in Battle and possibly focus on use of berries
- Plan to add more Partner content.
- Autosave and ways to back up trainer data.

lfEi6b3.png
WCJsHew.png
npecKYO.png
MRwaWMF.png
YuO6LgU.png
DYkBgGy.png
2z3V31q.png
BM54BHL.png
qRUjC1r.png

This game is at its experimental stages. It is bound to have multiple bugs and not very much content. It's my first Pokemon game so I thought I'd post here and get some feedback before I advance my game further. Please save often and consistently check your Partner's Pokemon party to check for errors. Since I'm working on this game alone, I predict that my progress with this game won't be as fast as I would like... I would appreciate it if I can get some help from others in scripting, plot progression and battle balancing.

Hoenn sprites
kyle-dove - Sprites
Zeak - Formatting in RMXP

Elite Battler, Titles.
LUKA-SJ

ORAS gen 6 icons
Pikachumazzinga

Tilesets
Rayquaza-dot
Citrine Tileset [Kymotonian, Rverah-duh, Speedialaga, Platnum Tyrant, Spacemotion, Alucus, Pokemon-Diamond, KagoNoSenpai, Anutter, Thurpok, UltimoSpriter, ForeverXShoddyBattle, Dewitty, TyranitarDark, PrinceLegendario, BoOmxBiG, Takaiofthefire, Chimcharsfireworks]
Dawn Tileset [By The-Red-eX]
Evolina Tileset [EVoLiNa]
Epicday
KleinStudio
Cafe tileset by Peekychew

ORAS cries
ShinxHero

GEN 6 & 7 sprites
-Smogon XY Sprite Project
-Mega Lucario: iiHurricane,

Overworld sprites
-MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17.
Princess-Phoenix, Lunardusk6

Following Pokemon
-Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, Venom12, mej71

Partner System, Multiple Characters.
-Badhaas

Gen 7 Resources
- Zeak6464
- Tapu Fini
- SpartaLazor
- leparagon
- BlackOutG5
- Rune
- M3rein
- Rigbycwts
- Rot8er_ConeX
- James Davy
- Luka S.J.

Quick fixes for v0.1 (replace the files in their respective folders): Download folder
- Fixed SpriteResizer bug
- Fixed Battojutsu crashing battle
- Adjusted pokeball throwing in double battles (will properly end turn if you try to throw a second pokeball)
- Adjusted encounter rates and catch rates of starter pokemon
- Adjusted Trainer battles to be a little bit easier (lowered IV)
- Fixed various text errors
- Altered story a little bit post Spinel battle (will add npc that gives you option to rewatch later if you're past this stage)
- Added Skip cutscene function for beginning cutscenes (hold down)
- Added "move there immediately" option for various scenarios.
- Added NPC in Pokecenter that reminds Partner's Pokemon previously learned moves

Some known bugs and possible fixes:
Q: In battle, the buttons get stuck and I can't move around
A: This game has an option to use the mouse cursor in battle to click on buttons. Try moving the mouse cursor away from the game screen (or at least away from the buttons)

Q: This game is laggy
A: There are some locations where the game slows down (notably Clary Town). Fix coming in the future.

v0.22 Update
Enter the Inn in Aquarin Town for a special quest~!
vWsTfcS.png

5 Tree Forest has an entrance to more Pokemon Maps
ZTfDU9y.png

More Fishing in Aquarin Port
oWa8ypx.png

v0.3 Update
Most changes are related to art asset replacements.
TBhw5GV.png

Continuation to the Aquarin warehouse
RK8d4wm.png

Updated partner assets
jWTbfxI.png

v0.22 Download Link (A Fresh download, use this instead of the old client): Download (700mbs)

v0.32 Minor game patch + mkxp Game port release:
mkxp Port using mkxp-z made by inori-z/zozo/57-1. Should make the game run smoother with significantly less lag, but prone to crashes and unexpected bugs.
Fixed bugs regarding Tsareena image corrupting, wrong doors, errors with receiving items, etc.
- Select PokemonSunset for mkxp (if your computer has the GPU to run it)
- Select game.exe for maximum compatibility
Download (840mbs)

[REMEMBER: Back-up your save before entering new content!]
jpkOAkC.png

Last edited:

Sora

Trainer
Do absol and riolu get additional evos/pre evos since ralts has 2?
I've adjusted Riolu's and Absol's stat spreads to match Kirlia's and gave Absol a new evolution.
DzYUlTO.png

Basically all starters will have one evolution at level 30. I thought it'd be fine since Pokemon evolve to level 16 really quickly so there wouldn't be much problem with balance.

Jephed

Trainer
This game looks very promising. I can see that a lot of work is being put into it! I'll definately be checking back from time to time to see your progress!

spaceshipearth

Rookie
I love this Pokemon fan game but I don't like all the wild pokemon encounters every three steps so maybe in the next version diel down the encounter rate a tad OK

Sora

Trainer
I love this Pokemon fan game but I don't like all the wild pokemon encounters every three steps so maybe in the next version diel down the encounter rate a tad OK
Eh? That's weird. I kept the same base rate (25%) that was in essentials. I can adjust it later but I've added some empty spaces you can traverse to avoid the grass a bit.

This project seems quite prosmising! I'm really intrigued by the focus on double battle here, it's something a little different than other fan games and I'm quite interested to see what it would be like to have double battles all the time (I've never played XD). I'm a bit confused about the choice of starters, however. I get the Psychic/Dark/Fighting type triangle you're going with, but I'm not sure why you've chosen Pokemon with all different evolutions and completely different feelings to them. Judging from the fact that you've given Absol an evolution and Kirlia, not Ralts is the starter, I'm guessing you're aiming for two stage evolutions. Why not switch out Kirlia for Spoink or Claydol, and Absol for Poocheyna or Murkrow? That way, you wouldn't have to edit the Pokemon so much to keep with the type triangle and two stage evolutions. It would just make more sense to me.

spaceshipearth

Rookie
Eh? That's weird. I kept the same base rate (25%) that was in essentials. I can adjust it later but I've added some empty spaces you can traverse to avoid the grass a bit.
I feel a rate of (40% or 60%) would be better for gameplay's sake

Sora

Trainer
This project seems quite prosmising! I'm really intrigued by the focus on double battle here, it's something a little different than other fan games and I'm quite interested to see what it would be like to have double battles all the time (I've never played XD). I'm a bit confused about the choice of starters, however. I get the Psychic/Dark/Fighting type triangle you're going with, but I'm not sure why you've chosen Pokemon with all different evolutions and completely different feelings to them. Judging from the fact that you've given Absol an evolution and Kirlia, not Ralts is the starter, I'm guessing you're aiming for two stage evolutions. Why not switch out Kirlia for Spoink or Claydol, and Absol for Poocheyna or Murkrow? That way, you wouldn't have to edit the Pokemon so much to keep with the type triangle and two stage evolutions. It would just make more sense to me.

Well, for the starters, I thought I'd use Pokemon that I like over trying to focus too much on the triangle.

I feel a rate of (40% or 60%) would be better for gameplay's sake
I mean the encounter rate is at 25% currently. Adjusting it to 40% or 60% would mean increasing it :o

spaceshipearth

Rookie
Well, for the starters, I thought I'd use Pokemon that I like over trying to focus too much on the triangle.

I mean the encounter rate is at 25% currently. Adjusting it to 40% or 60% would mean increasing it :o
I see sorry I must have misunderstood

Hawky

Novice
I'm playing your game, and I'm really enjoying it, but I can't change moves in battle

Mozart

Annoying Twit
So I'm playing this and enjoying the art and interesting story, I figured I'd just point out that it's almost impossible and kind of frustrating to try and catch other Pokemon. They break out of their balls regardless of if their health is in the red and with the double battle mechanic, even if there's one enemy Pokemon left standing it'll say "it's impossible to aim!" and seemingly waste your Pokeball? And sometimes partner Pokemon's moves get skipped over in a double battle as if it's not functioning fluidly.

Sora

Trainer
I'm playing your game, and I'm really enjoying it, but I can't change moves in battle
May I ask for some pictures?
I think I've had this bug too but I couldn't reproduce it or figure out what causes this bug...

So I'm playing this and enjoying the art and interesting story, I figured I'd just point out that it's almost impossible and kind of frustrating to try and catch other Pokemon. They break out of their balls regardless of if their health is in the red and with the double battle mechanic, even if there's one enemy Pokemon left standing it'll say "it's impossible to aim!" and seemingly waste your Pokeball? And sometimes partner Pokemon's moves get skipped over in a double battle as if it's not functioning fluidly.

I see, I knew that people would have that problem.
Basically, what is supposed to happen is during double battles, you can only throw one ball per turn but it doesn't skip your partner's turn.

But I made a workaround solution until I can fix that problem.
If you go into the partner's tab --> Options --> Solo Wild battles, you can choose to encounter wild pokemon by yourself if you select "Solo Battles"
Only wild encoutners will be solo though. All trainer battles and event encounters will be doubles I think.

Last edited:

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Ah see I figured that would be the solution, but after the point where you have to get the professor's coffee there's no option for editing your partner tab. I did try first instead of coming here to complain, I swear!

Sora

Trainer
Ah see I figured that would be the solution, but after the point where you have to get the professor's coffee there's no option for editing your partner tab. I did try first instead of coming here to complain, I swear!
No, it's fine!
I didn't get to play test this game too much because I didn't have time. It's bound to have multiple bugs.

And I think the missing partner tab is my bad... I forgot to readjust some switches when I was messing around with the cutscenes;;
I made a quick fix for the missing partner tab.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4OsZRC6Blt_anJha01uX0lfNm8
Download this System.rxdata and replace it in the data folder.
Then talk to the Bulbasaur next to your house. It should return your partner tab.

oxMmaPJ.png

Hawky

Novice
I'm not sure how to get a picture of it, I have Absol as my starter, and I'm stuck on knock off, every time I try to change it just goes back to knock off a picture wouldn't really show anything

Sora

Trainer
I'm not sure how to get a picture of it, I have Absol as my starter, and I'm stuck on knock off, every time I try to change it just goes back to knock off a picture wouldn't really show anything

Hrmm... I know that problem... I still can't figure out how to reproduce that bug...
In the meanwhile, I believe you can use your mouse cursor to select moves and etc. so until I can figure out what's wrong, I recommend you use your mouse cursor.

Hawky

Novice
Hrmm... I know that problem... I still can't figure out how to reproduce that bug...
In the meanwhile, I believe you can use your mouse cursor to select moves and etc. so until I can figure out what's wrong, I recommend you use your mouse cursor.

oh alright, thanks!

Back