• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Sunset (Progress Check)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
nRWbyKZ.png

Introduction: This game is a double-battle focused Pokemon game, with the option to fight alongside Partners that join you throughout your Journey. You'll be able to view and level your Trainer's Pokemon as well as adjust them by using TM's and giving them held items. With adjusted experience formula, you'll be able to train up Pokemon under level 50 quickly so you can adjust your party to beat specific opponents.

Starters: Kirlia, Absol, Riolu
RzX1pNj.png

Plot: Various things have been disappearing all over Orange Peak. Is it a Pokemon? A thief? Investigate with Yuki as one discovery leads to a never ending spiral of mystery.

Features:
- Partner's Pokemon party screen (Can use TMs and have them hold Items)
- Your Partner's Pokemon can level up
- Switch between multiple Partners
- Control your Partner's Pokemon in Battle
- Almost every trainer battle is Double Battle
- New experimental Fishing mechanic
- Skip certain long cutscenes by holding the down key (at the beginning of each cutscene)
- Gen 7 Pokemon and Abilities
- Adjusted multiple Pokemon to evolve normally by leveling without having to trade, happiness, etc.

To do's and Known bugs
- Can't use items on Partner's Pokemon in battle.
- Plan to further customize your Partner's Pokemon (Change name and Remember moves)
- Update various art assets (In battle Partner sprites, etc)
- Pokedex UI update and number adjustments
- Plan to add more NPCs
- Aquarin Town is under extreme construction (no content)
- Possible plan to disable use items in Battle and possibly focus on use of berries
- Plan to add more Partner content.
- Autosave and ways to back up trainer data.

lfEi6b3.png
WCJsHew.png
npecKYO.png
MRwaWMF.png
YuO6LgU.png
DYkBgGy.png
2z3V31q.png
BM54BHL.png
qRUjC1r.png

This game is at its experimental stages. It is bound to have multiple bugs and not very much content. It's my first Pokemon game so I thought I'd post here and get some feedback before I advance my game further. Please save often and consistently check your Partner's Pokemon party to check for errors. Since I'm working on this game alone, I predict that my progress with this game won't be as fast as I would like... I would appreciate it if I can get some help from others in scripting, plot progression and battle balancing.

Hoenn sprites
kyle-dove - Sprites
Zeak - Formatting in RMXP

Elite Battler, Titles.
LUKA-SJ

ORAS gen 6 icons
Pikachumazzinga

Tilesets
Rayquaza-dot
Citrine Tileset [Kymotonian, Rverah-duh, Speedialaga, Platnum Tyrant, Spacemotion, Alucus, Pokemon-Diamond, KagoNoSenpai, Anutter, Thurpok, UltimoSpriter, ForeverXShoddyBattle, Dewitty, TyranitarDark, PrinceLegendario, BoOmxBiG, Takaiofthefire, Chimcharsfireworks]
Dawn Tileset [By The-Red-eX]
Evolina Tileset [EVoLiNa]
Epicday
KleinStudio
Cafe tileset by Peekychew

ORAS cries
ShinxHero

GEN 6 & 7 sprites
-Smogon XY Sprite Project
-Mega Lucario: iiHurricane,

Overworld sprites
-MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17.
Princess-Phoenix, Lunardusk6

Following Pokemon
-Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, Venom12, mej71

Partner System, Multiple Characters.
-Badhaas

Gen 7 Resources
- Zeak6464
- Tapu Fini
- SpartaLazor
- leparagon
- BlackOutG5
- Rune
- M3rein
- Rigbycwts
- Rot8er_ConeX
- James Davy
- Luka S.J.

Quick fixes for v0.1 (replace the files in their respective folders): Download folder
- Fixed SpriteResizer bug
- Fixed Battojutsu crashing battle
- Adjusted pokeball throwing in double battles (will properly end turn if you try to throw a second pokeball)
- Adjusted encounter rates and catch rates of starter pokemon
- Adjusted Trainer battles to be a little bit easier (lowered IV)
- Fixed various text errors
- Altered story a little bit post Spinel battle (will add npc that gives you option to rewatch later if you're past this stage)
- Added Skip cutscene function for beginning cutscenes (hold down)
- Added "move there immediately" option for various scenarios.
- Added NPC in Pokecenter that reminds Partner's Pokemon previously learned moves

Some known bugs and possible fixes:
Q: In battle, the buttons get stuck and I can't move around
A: This game has an option to use the mouse cursor in battle to click on buttons. Try moving the mouse cursor away from the game screen (or at least away from the buttons)

Q: This game is laggy
A: There are some locations where the game slows down (notably Clary Town). Fix coming in the future.

v0.22 Update
Enter the Inn in Aquarin Town for a special quest~!
vWsTfcS.png

5 Tree Forest has an entrance to more Pokemon Maps
ZTfDU9y.png

More Fishing in Aquarin Port
oWa8ypx.png

v0.3 Update
Most changes are related to art asset replacements.
TBhw5GV.png

Continuation to the Aquarin warehouse
RK8d4wm.png

Updated partner assets
jWTbfxI.png

v0.22 Download Link (A Fresh download, use this instead of the old client): Download (700mbs)

v0.32 Minor game patch + mkxp Game port release:
mkxp Port using mkxp-z made by inori-z/zozo/57-1. Should make the game run smoother with significantly less lag, but prone to crashes and unexpected bugs.
Fixed bugs regarding Tsareena image corrupting, wrong doors, errors with receiving items, etc.
- Select PokemonSunset for mkxp (if your computer has the GPU to run it)
- Select game.exe for maximum compatibility
Download (840mbs)

[REMEMBER: Back-up your save before entering new content!]
jpkOAkC.png

Last edited:

DestinyBond

Human (?)
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I encountered a Lightning rod Oshawott.------------------------
Whoops, that's supposed to be a pokeball;;
I swear I took it out...

In the meanwhile, try to keep it in your PC and only use it if you really get frustrated in a fight X)
Can I please keep Power? He knows False Swipe and Surf, so he's been quite helpful.

Nigthmare Dodo

Rookie
I liked the idea of the game,but it's pretty laggy,sometimes music glitches and it goes pertty slow too,that most happens in battles

Djaco75

MasterMind
I really like the game so far, it seems like a cool story that has many points of interest in it. I think that the new plot ideas will intrigue some players. A quick feedback here - the new Absol evolution just looks like a cross between a Mega Absol and the original with the saturation turned down a little. I think it's fine to keep it this way, but if you plan to introduce or have introduced Mega Evolution, a new Mega-Absol design may be required.

Overall, I think it looks really good so far - can't wait to see where you go with it!

Sora

Trainer
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I encountered a Lightning rod Oshawott.------------------------
Can I please keep Power? He knows False Swipe and Surf, so he's been quite helpful.

I can't really remove a Pokemon from your save file so you can keep it probably.
And I've edited the Starters abilities so you can encounter starters with hidden abilities in the wild.

I liked the idea of the game,but it's pretty laggy,sometimes music glitches and it goes pertty slow too,that most happens in battles

Hmm... I'm not sure if that's a elite battle thing or my game.
I've encountered it too but I think it occurs when you have low memory and are doing double battles.

I really like the game so far, it seems like a cool story that has many points of interest in it. I think that the new plot ideas will intrigue some players. A quick feedback here - the new Absol evolution just looks like a cross between a Mega Absol and the original with the saturation turned down a little. I think it's fine to keep it this way, but if you plan to introduce or have introduced Mega Evolution, a new Mega-Absol design may be required.

Overall, I think it looks really good so far - can't wait to see where you go with it!

Hmm, I might think about a new Mega Absol design.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Okay! I'm back with the demo about as far as I can complete it I think (just fought What's-His-Name) with some proper feedback/bug reports!

Pros:
I love the art, it's very cute, and the main characters having little expression portraits is an equally cute touch (especially seeing as Yuki does most of the talking for you)
I don't have an educated view of sprites or mapping but from what I've seen they look consistent enough in style (oddities aside like gen 7 Pokemon not having overworld following sprites)
I really like the idea of the healing stations/telling you what Pokemon is on the route at the beginning of a new route and they've worked consistently (except a minor thing I'll address in bugs)
Thank god you have access to most (all? I think all) of the starters in beginning routes, building a team of your basic type elemental matchups is very easy

Cons:
I cannot for the life of me figure out how the fishing is supposed to work
Minor dialog stuff like NPCs saying "shit" and being asked the "are you a cat person or a dog person?" question is kinda jarring for a Pokemon game even if it's a fan one (and believe me I'm not a prude about swearing)
Trainer battles seem almost...abnormally stacked against you? Like you can have a type advantage and level advantage over a trainer's Pokemon but there's still a risk of your whole team getting wiped out and seemingly little effect with attacks that should be super effective

Not a con just a future consideration for whenever this goes alpha:
Please make sure grammar and spelling is checked thoroughly in your scripts (I tell this to pretty much everybody)

Overall:
I enjoyed playing what you have so far! I'm looking forward to whatever comes next (and finding out that level 100 Decidueye was a mistake is kind of hilarious, I was legitimately panicking like "oh god did I steal someone else's Pokemon but the OT trainer says me??)

Oddities/Bugs:

Local species display in Route 2 first shows POKEMON IN ALL CAPS and cuts off at Foongus as FOO, from then on it displays "Pokemon in Route 1 are" and lists the Pokemon in Route 1.

Shadows of invisible people appeared while I was walking around with my buddy SquirtBoy:
PuE8mn3.png

This man is trapped and that Pokeball seems like it should be reachable but I can't get to it, this isn't the first area I've seen like this

ASliHzw.png

Anyway! Thank you for making this game!

Sora

Trainer
Okay! I'm back with the demo about as far as I can complete it I think (just fought What's-His-Name) with some proper feedback/bug reports!

Oh my god, thank you so much! I appreciate this greatly~!

To address your feedback...
- The fishing part was pretty rushed... I might have to refine it a little bit. But how it works is when the arrow sign flashes above your head, you're supposed to hold down that arrow key (don't let go until your character flashes an emote)
- Hmm, I'll have to look over my dialogue. I've been trying to make sure I don't make this game too edgy;;
- Definitely thought some of the trainer battles were too difficult. I'm thinking of removing some moves and tone down their IVs.
- Ahh... the shadows... They were supposed to be my bandage on pokemon followers not having shadows... I might have to remove them.
- I've added some npcs that are inaccessbile just for decoration. Might remove the pokeballs though. I put them there so I can have them as reference for making similar pokeball events.

Thank you for playing. Hope you enjoy the rest of the experience :D

Gento

Rookie
busto-jitsu says it makes the battlefield weird when you use it in a fight.in the it description says its an attack base 80 power physical ghost type and super effective against fighting types is this meant to happen

PokeDutch

Rookie
I made a account especially for this thread and game.
I ran into an issue when restarting my game with a save file.
This crashes the game and makes it unable to continue the game were I stopped.
"Script 'Sprite_Resizer' line 20: TypeError"

VictiniiAlmeidaPT

Rookie
I have a bug i think ....on the lady charizard mansion , i go to the room we fight her on the first place , and every time i go in i cant stay .... is it a bug?

http://prntscr.com/fo0zyz

they are just invisible ...i cant get it :/ help

PS:I am really loving this game , it has some personality , the art , and Yuki is just kawaii as hell . Continue with the good work

Last edited:

Topic.Mamba

Rookie
First off i want to thank you for your time and compliment you on how your game's going im really enjoying it. I think i messed up my game though sadly when i changed the screen size to Large since its giving me an error message with the 'Script Resizer' upon reopening the game. Is there a way you can help me please i want to continue the story? Also i dont know how to add a screenshot here so if you know how to explain it to me ill be able to just show you. Thank you again!------------------------

So did I! Im having trouble continuing the game i made an account just for this error message as well if you find help and solve the issue please show me how to!

Sora

Trainer

First off i want to thank you for your time and compliment you on how your game's going im really enjoying it. I think i messed up my game though sadly when i changed the screen size to Large since its giving me an error message with the 'Script Resizer' upon reopening the game. Is there a way you can help me please i want to continue the story? Also i dont know how to add a screenshot here so if you know how to explain it to me ill be able to just show you. Thank you again!------------------------

So did I! Im having trouble continuing the game i made an account just for this error message as well if you find help and solve the issue please show me how to!

I added a link on the main page for the fixes but here's a direct link: download
Replace all the files in that download link in your data folder.
It should fix the sprite resizer bug~!

Sora

Trainer
I have a bug i think ....on the lady charizard mansion , i go to the room we fight her on the first place , and every time i go in i cant stay .... is it a bug?

http://prntscr.com/fo0zyz

they are just invisible ...i cant get it :/ help

PS:I am really loving this game , it has some personality , the art , and Yuki is just kawaii as hell . Continue with the good work

Whoops. I believe this is a problem with me forgetting to prevent re-entry.
Yuki should be telling you to visit the room on the left instead.

Sora

Trainer
busto-jitsu says it makes the battlefield weird when you use it in a fight.in the it description says its an attack base 80 power physical ghost type and super effective against fighting types is this meant to happen

I've released another fix file with the battojutsu fix and various other bug fixes.
Download

Again, replace these files in your DATA folder.

ashloverofpokemon

Rookie
i did that already its still running slow
by the way i forgot to mention im playing
it on a pc windows 10 acer

Back