• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokemon Soulstones

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
bXn55C9.png

Pokemon Soulstones

About Project
I started making Pokemon Soulstones in February 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic started. Due to the encouragement of some close family, I finally ventured down the path of making a Pokemon game that I wanted to play because I wanted to tell a story. As the project increased in scope, I became more ambitious and am now at the point where I wanted to release the game to the general public. In that regard, I've tried to include everything I always wanted in a Pokemon game, and I hope that everyone else that gets a chance to play it will enjoy it too.

In no way do I receive any profit or monetary compensation for this fan game. I have made this game under fair use laws and do not intend to breach those.

Tools used to make the game:
RPG Maker XP | Pokemon Essentials v17.2
GIMP
Audacity​

Content warning:
Please note that this project contains some mature themes, including coarse language and violence. Player discretion is advised.

Plot:
You are an Agent working for the Republican Agency that has been sent back from the year 3564 CE to the 21st century. You have been issued orders to track down strong trainers known as Soul Keepers and recover their sacred pendants (the Soulstones) that hold strong legendary powers and the ability to command the loyalty of certain Mythical Pokemon. What you discover as you venture out on your mission is that you have been inserted into a much larger conflict between two ancient factions; one that is seeking to unleash an evil upon the world and the other that is desperately trying to protect the Epoch Region from its return.

Features:
The following contains a list of the features of the game:
  • Generation 1 to 7 included;
  • Fairy type, Mega Evolution, Level Cap of 175.
  • Estimated 25 hours of content + 10 more hours in the post game;
  • Generation 3 style game world with mechanics and abilities up to Gen 7;
  • Day/Night cycle, ability to view encounters on a map, Hidden Grottos;
  • One region (the "Epoch - Present Day" Region) available in the main game with a second region (“Epoch 3564”) available in the post game;
  • Not your ordinary gym battle and league challenge as this is a unique story with heavy emphasis on narrative for progression
  • Choice of starters from Gen 1 - 7 and each starter has new abilities;
  • Some Pokemon that have Epoch regional variants have also received a stat boost to make them more compelling team choices;
  • Over 200 custom-made regional variant Pokemon for a National Pokedex size of 1030 Pokemon available (NOTE: All Pokemon are available except for Legendary, Mythical, and Ultra Beasts which are not available in this release)
  • Over 65 custom-made Mega Pokemon in addition to canon megas
  • Over 125 side quests that motivate a player to explore and go beyond conventional story areas and encourage exploration and collection;
Screenshots:
And now for what everyone has been waiting for, to determine whether this is worth playing or not.
tLtPMjP.png

Postgame Screenshots coming May 24, 2021:
tEbjiwI.png

Pokemon Soulstones Discord:
As players progress through the game, please join me in the Pokemon Soulstones Discord server to answer questions, report bugs or just hang out and talk about the game!
https://discord.gg/UNnkvJb

Roadmap:

• The post game has been released! Subsequent content patches will relate to special legendary/mythical Pokemon “campaigns”.
  • There might be minor bug fixing patches released along the way as bugs are identified.

Installation Guide:

• Like any other Pokemon fan game created using Pokemon Essentials, simply click on the download link and extract the archive.
  • Note that there is both a Part 1 and a Part 2 and both parts must be downloaded and extracted to the same folder location.
  • When this is done, run the Game.exe file.
  • If you get an error message on startup regarding fonts not being installed, simply navigate to the Pokemon Soulstones\Fonts folder, select all the fonts, right click and install them as administrator.
  • How to download and install the game. Google Docs guide, full with screenshots: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...Duemzfsf6PI-PjuA9jKeu-YxnlKrfALyUjKkVrWTa/pub

Download:
Download Link for Pokemon Soulstones v2.0.5:

NOTE: If you have previously played the game, you should delete your entire game folder and replace it with this one given the significant changes I've made.
Part 1
Part 2

Changelog:
Latest changes: Patch 2.0.5

• Replaced a number of custom shinies based on community contributions.
  • A weird bug was identified whereby you could faint a Pokemon at a really low life by using a Common Candy on it. Common Candies can now only be used on fully healed Pokemon
  • Spelling errors and typos in some Epoch Mons' dex entries
  • More tile priority/pathing bugs identified and fixed now.
  • Some trainers could soft lock you if they cornered you, you saved the file and then they wouldn't move!
  • Went through and purged a bunch of the extra sprites in the Graphics\Battlers folder for duplicates or female-specific sprites. This change won't actually be realized on the player's end unless they delete everything but their Audio folder and re-download the Part 1 that comes with this patch. This is because when you re-extract your Part 1, you are prompted to "overwrite" only, so if these redundant sprites are missing altogether, it never prompts you to replace them at all.
  • On the randomizer, if the Pinsir/Scyther that you would have faced were mons that had teleport that forced the battle to end prematurely, the quest would not be able to be completed. This has now been rectified.
  • Jurassic Park (a Safari Zone) was producing double battle encounters which wasn't intended.
  • Two Breloom bots were not properly healing you (Windvale Retirement Home and Jungle Villa)
  • Epoch Froslassite was not an option on the Oceanview Black Market Megastone trader because of a spelling error.
  • Changed Caves of Jenola Loner gift mon to choice of: Dratini, Larvitar and Jangmo-o (i.e. there was an error in the ref docs saying it was Gible and he previously gave you Goomy).
  • Picking Chimchar as your second starter from the left corner of the middle rack would cause you to softlock yourself and prevent you proceeding to the future.
  • Updated Gang Theft Quest to allow you to fail it (and drop it from your quest log) if you sold the Pearl String instead of returning it to the quest giver.
  • Berry Farmer in Stonecrest City PokeCenter now sells Oran Berries.
  • You can now mine Dusk Stones, Dawn Stones and Shiny Stones.
  • Sawsbuck forms now appear randomly instead of being driven by season.
  • Various fixes made to reference documents for missing or erroneous information (e.g. corrected inconsistencies in quest rewards document about missing quests, added tutors in post game etc.)
  • Tweaked monetary rewards from ordinary non-boss trainers up a bit more.
  • Nerfed E. Tyranitar again because it was still incredibly overused. Its new BaseStats=120,124,100,71,85,100 Mega changed to BaseStats=140,144,125,81,85,125
  • Rhea's team in Treetop Village had their EV spreads adjusted because it was resulting in an unintended difficulty spike.
  • Edited EV berry item descriptions as they were a bit confusing.
  • The Megas for E. Rapidash and Rapidash have new sprites, and a few other Pokemon have some custom shinies, courtesy of community contributions.
  • Added some conditions to be able to fail and clean up the quests in Neo Avion if you don't turn them into the quest giver in time before the city is restored / power plant exploding.
  • E. Gulpin line is now a pure ground type (i.e. loses its Rock typing).
  • A number of E. Pokemon have received sprite edits.
  • Got rid of Fly from movesets (e.g. Drampa, Vikavolt, and Salamence) and replaced with an equivalent similarly named move that does not provide the field move that allows you to fly to other towns to avoid creating softlock situations.
  • Manaphy was still in the Genesis science facility after being rescued so have removed her from persisting.
  • Changed E. Alakazam BaseStats=65,60,70,115,105,85
  • Changed E. Starmie BaseStats=70,50,95,105,105,95 and E. Staryu BaseStats=40,35,55,85,70,55 and replaced Natural Cure with Filter. Mega BaseStats=80,65,115,135,135,115 and replaced Levitate with Filter
  • E. Talonflame's Early Bird ability has now been replaced with Gale Wings.
  • Replaced Route 103 Choice Band and Choice Scarf with Wise Glasses and a Muscle Band respectively. Reference document has been updated as well.
  • One of the vendors in Ashfoam Cove and Umbaru Encampment that used to sell power items now also sells a Macho Brace.
  • Due to the puzzle being exceptionally difficult for most players, some guiding stones have been added to each level of the Sleeper Spire. The healing shrines on each floor also now give you the option to reset all of the door puzzles to off.
  • Swapped locations of an E. Breloom in the Sewers with the gift Slugma so that it provides some healing options that aren't so close together.
  • Epoch Gliscor family can now learn Gunk Shot, Dragon Rush as egg moves/tutor moves as well. Head Smash has been placed where Ancient Power was in its kit, and Ancient Power is now an egg move.
  • Epoch Stantler's Technician ability has been replaced with Protean and its dex entry updated accordingly. Its moves have now switched around a bit - 33 - Horn Leech, 43 Seed Bomb, 49 Icicle Crash, 53 Aurora Veil, 58 Megahorn. Energy Ball and Freeze Dry are now egg moves.
  • E. Geodude line's HA is now Dry Skin. Its BST has also been updated as follows - E.Geodude: BaseStats=55,70,80,15,25,55; E. Graveler: BaseStats=75,85,95,25,35,75, E. Golem: BaseStats=100,120,120,35,40,80
  • Charizard Y's BST was incorrect and was using X's BST in error.
  • Created a backup Victor in Agency Base: Delta that allows you to go to Frostgrad in case you white out before you've secured the fly spot in Frostgrad.
  • The cast in the Agency base (Emil, Shaymin, Wesley etc.) were still hanging around despite the events having concluded.
  • Bag autosort introduced to the main bag pocket
  • The game now has 5 backup save files
  • The game now has advanced Pokedex built in so you can view PBS data in-game itself rather than checking the reference documents that come with the download package
  • You can now change your keybindings controls more easily.
  • The game has an MKXP version!

Credits: If I have missed anyone or misquoted you in the credits, please tell me! I have absolutely zero intent to steal anyone's work and this has and always will be a pure passion project!

The following are credits for the various assets used in Pokemon Soulstones.

The vast majority of these names are because direct work was used, but some people were credited because I used their work in previous versions, or because I got inspiration from their work whether I used it or not, and I don't think the final game would be the way it is without me seeing their work, so I believe they should get credit for the creative processes of the game's development even if their final works weren't used.

Special thanks to the teams of Pokemon Rejuvenation, Pokemon Reborn, Pokemon Zero, Pokemon Castaway, Pokemon Daybreak, Pokemon Empyrean, and Pokemon Insurgence. I leaned significantly on these games for either assets,
inspiration, or bugging their leads for help throughout the entire development process (where assets were private, they were used for inspiration but I would be remiss to not include them in the credits list anyhow).

A HUGE thank you goes to everyone in the PokeCommunity and Thundaga discord servers for helping me with the random questions I had along the way because if it wasn't for the friendly folks on there, this game would never have become a reality!

------- ART (e.g. trainer overworlds, tilesets etc.) -------
Kyle-Dove
UlthiumDragon
MickelPickelYT
Skeizerr
PurpleZaffre
EndlessTGX
Geno
Maeracle
Skallhati
Smiley-Fakemon
JWNutz
Steelman2004
Anarlarendil
AveonTrainer
HGSSTransitions by Jonas930 (Art Ripped by Latias Tamer)
Kalarie
SageDeoxys
tonitur20
Delta231
enterbrain
kWharever
carchagui
Droid779
DormDude
Drawnamu
Alevanderlinde
XxSylph
AlizarinRed
Honnojis
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
The Smogon Sprite Project
Pokemon Defiance Mega Pokemon and Regional Form Resources
Pokemon Reborn Alterate Mod Pack
pyrromanis
BlueTowel
Magiscarf
Hexx_Vixtar
Angie
Beliot419
RBRNNova
Mr. Finn
NeosTH2001
MegaBlueAce
art-56
PKMNTrainerSpriterC
CalculusNova
Lance32497 and Sniper
LuRocha
jaylung
Borosepheles

------- MUSIC -------
Jobless Music
MezmerKaiser
Nintendo, The Pokemon Company
Chun Soft
FL.Remix
Hanksterman
Pokeli
Sela42
LukeeGD
Half Pixel
UberTuberBackPacker
RetroSpecter
ViziVoir
KecleonTencho(arugurete)
Raitsu
Monopoly Rubix
Helvetica
MC Bomber
Xencleamas
A Young, Dancing Moon
bauerklos music
Bliitzit
recordreader
Malik the Hedgehog
Alpha Remaster
raZ
iteachvader (for the .sf2 of Pokemon Emerald)
EesrekYT
Snowy Fox - RMN Music Pack
Pokemon Reborn Team
Pokemon Rejuvenation Team
Blizzard Entertainment for World of Warcraft soundtrack, Diablo soundtrack and Starcraft sound effects.

------- ANIMATIONS -------
Pokemon Reborn Team
Mde2001
Smeargletail
boonzeet
mej71
raZ
Luka S.J.
pret

------- TRAINERS (e.g. battle sprites) -------
Akuma-Tsubasa
Tsunfished
Drawnamu
ShinySeabass
buddyguyman
raZ
Assassannerr
PD
Pokecomicnewb
RichardPT
SilentNinja
ShiningStar5022
Litera-sure
Pokemon Reborn Team
TSR
duncapham
Furs the Fox
SuperAngel502
academico95
Mashirosakura
Young-Dante
Gamefreak
starsparkless
Mediocre-Mel
mickelpickelyt
kangaflora
Kaleriodion
CalculusNova
aveontrainer
Nephae
oniwanbashu
Cerulebell
Pokesho
Reign
Dragoon
castiboy
polloron
xavs-pixels
Keh-ven
Tebited15
Lolw3e932
soulcaliburfan
Poltergeist
saf3haven
CoffeeCup
RadicalRaptr
PKMNTrainerSpriterC
afo2006

------- TILES -------
raZ
Pokemon Reborn Team
Pokemon Rejuvenation Team
Gamefreak
WesleyFG
Michael
Leilou
Ekat
ditto209
jyadaha2
Andrea87sky
ditto209
LogiedanT-T
WillowWhips
PkmnAlexandrite
ditto209
Marcosik1992
Phyromatical
Alistair
Zeikaro

------- SCRIPTS AND OTHER GENERAL HELP -------
FL
raZ
PurpleZaffre
LostSoulsDev / carmaniac
Savordez
Marin
Rei
NettoHikari
Luka S.J.
mej71
shiney570
Maruno
Members of the Community Script Project
Nuri Yuri
ThatWelshOne_
GiraPrimal
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
KleinStudio
Michael
BIGFRIV
Marcello
JV
Sr. Haruno
Pokemon Reborn Team
derFischae
Boonzeet
ForeverZer0
Ccoa
Agckuu
Blizzard
thor348
Jonas930 - Replace Party
chardub
FabulaFares
SquonK
TechSkylander1518
Vendily
Black Eternity
Ego13
thepsynergist
Umbreon
WolfPP

------- ALPHA AND BETA TESTERS -------
cdawg0616
Spenser
Angie
Cygnus
Hi
Endless

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
help-14<s>Rataime
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Last edited:

Charmingloopy

Made and Lost Dev
I was wondering if there was a way to give myself the shinycharm when i first start game because i want to do a shinylocke but don't have a lot of time to shiny hunt

Jos_Louis

Developer of Pokemon Soulstones
I was wondering if there was a way to give myself the shinycharm when i first start game because i want to do a shinylocke but don't have a lot of time to shiny hunt
There is no legitimate way to give you a shiny charm right away, no. Having said that, the shiny rates are improved to 1/100 across the board so it doesn't take nearly as long to shiny hunt.

Aurora

Trainer
When I started this game, i was like ''an another fangame'' and it's on my top5. The mapping in the first 2-3 cities was basic but improved so much afterwards. It has many sidequests, many events and a heavy story. The story earned me.I appreciated that spiritomb and garbodor were catcable early in the game and easily.I haven't finished it 100%, but I write this comment to recommend it because it deserves more recognition.

Charmingloopy

Made and Lost Dev
There is no legitimate way to give you a shiny charm right away, no. Having said that, the shiny rates are improved to 1/100 across the board so it doesn't take nearly as long to shiny hunt.
I must have really bad luck then

Jos_Louis

Is this game not controller supported? What’s up with that?
This game does not natively support controllers, no. If you want to use a controller, you need to use a third party application called Joy2Key, however I don't officially support that tool. It's just what I've heard other people use.

Kk'

Rookie
Why I can't see Froakie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124_153839.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124_153839.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 213

Jos_Louis

You are on Joiplay which I don't officially support. I have no idea why you can't see a Froakie sprite because the game is designed to play on computers only.

My guess is that you haven't downloaded and installed the game correctly but beyond that, I can't troubleshoot.

abyx92

Rookie
Hey, I have a problem with using mini wailord app(dive). When I'm trying to, then i get error, and game crashes. Please Help.

Jos_Louis

What is the error message? Have you got a screenshot of the error message or can you post what was in your errorlog.txt file (you can find that in the same folder as your saved game file which is usually under C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\Pokemon Soulstones).

Where did you attempt to use the mini-wailord app? Have you touched any folder of the installed game after and deleted anything in error?

I need more info to help you.

abyx92

Rookie
i tried to use mini wailord on route 110. to find the submarine. error message is: Script 'Bitmap Cache' line 318 Errno:: ENOENT Occured
No Such file or directory- Underwater_tmp_0.png

Jos_Louis

I have no idea what happened, but try redownloading the game folders. It seems like an important file of yours went missing? I'm not sure how that happened...

abyx92

Rookie
I have no idea what happened, but try redownloading the game folders. It seems like an important file of yours went missing? I'm not sure how that happened...
never mind. I resolved the problem. It seems that the god mode mod I used, had messed something up, because when i started game without it, I can dive normally without errors.

Jos_Louis

It would be helpful if you lead with that. I don't know what this third party mod does but it can easily break things.

FPichu

Rookie
Could you possibly add some method to change the controls in-game? Say, for example, from arrow keys to WASD?

Jos_Louis

Unfortunately, I am not looking into adding more functionality to the game right now for this in particular but if you want to be able to change controls, you can use a third party application like Joy2Key.

I don't officially support the use of 3rd party apps but I have heard that people in the Discord server have been able to use this application without issue to change their controls to what they're comfortable with.

FPichu

Rookie
Unfortunately, I am not looking into adding more functionality to the game right now for this in particular but if you want to be able to change controls, you can use a third party application like Joy2Key.

I don't officially support the use of 3rd party apps but I have heard that people in the Discord server have been able to use this application without issue to change their controls to what they're comfortable with.
Thank you for the prompt reply, I'll download Joy2Key then, and try it out.

iggy1403

Rookie
I have a question, I'm currently in Amberforge City and I did main quest in Shaymin's Shrine and went to Carleton Canyons, did a few side quests there and now I'm stuck, what is my next objective? Where should I go next?

Back