• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Resource Advanced Character Customization 2.0.0

WolfHeretic

Novice
WolfHeretic submitted a new resource:

Advanced Character Customization - This resource allows for players to implement a character customization screen into their games.

Hello! I just wanted to let people know that this an extension of a previously existing resource that I found on this thread. I'm not sure exactly how strict people are in terms of how much you can use other people's code when creating your own resource, but given that my script is double the length of the original and I have made multiple adjustments to the original script's code, I decided to post this.

ArchyArc

Lead Developer of Pokemon Sacred Johto
glad someone did a reimagining of this, used the shiney one myself currently and for awhile, feeling i will update (thus testing for bugs ig) looks great.

since its cross-compatible between v17 and 18 (not seen 18s changes yet) shouldnt be much issue with v16? feels like a relic still using it but hey.
i'll still test but if its any not actual game crashing errors but underlying or graphical ones, if you know that is. if there are issues i'll try and adjust it thus giving you a v16 port.

edit: saw you state the v17 and 16 thing, feels dumb asking, but i'll still test in v16

So the resource download seems to be missing(?)

Last edited:

WolfHeretic

Novice
So the resource download seems to be missing(?)

What part of the resource is missing for you? I put all the image files for the script in the download link, but the actual script itself is in the "How to install" section on the main post, don't know if that helps at all.

Nomi

Trainer
Hi, I've been trying to get the script to work, but it doesn't seem to. Here's one of the errors I've gotten trying to do pbCustomizeCharacter
unknown.png

This happens when I click yes on the prompt asking to fix it. If I press no, it says everything is missing. Problem is, all of the files exist.
unknown.png

This not only happens for hair, but tops, bottoms, accessories, and headgear.

When attempting pbChooseBaseGraphic, I get this error.
unknown.png

Any help would be appreciated!

ArchyArc

(not got the above errors before but guessing in v17 or 18) did have the first error with the bases cuz i had the folder called "overwold walk" but yours all seem to match.

quick question however (for OP) is there a way to tie the lock and unlock coding to items (not base but additional) so its easier to make a shop and such, if your unsure i can try and figure it out and give it back aswell (as if people might want it as an add-on)

WolfHeretic

Novice
Hello!

This happens when I click yes on the prompt asking to fix it. If I press no, it says everything is missing. Problem is, all of the files exist.
unknown.png

This not only happens for hair, but tops, bottoms, accessories, and headgear.

First, can I ask what version of Essentials you're using? If you're not using version 18, have you uncommented the script at the end of the CharCust_Utilities script (delete =begin at line 468, =end at line 493)?

When attempting pbChooseBaseGraphic, I get this error.
unknown.png

Any help would be appreciated!
It seems like you're calling pbChooseBaseGraphic in your intro. Are you calling it before you set your character's name and gender? This error seems like it's popping up because your player's character (gender) isn't defined yet (ie. set to nil)
Hope this helps!

Nomi

Trainer
Hello!

First, can I ask what version of Essentials you're using? If you're not using version 18, have you uncommented the script at the end of the CharCust_Utilities script (delete =begin at line 468, =end at line 493)?

It seems like you're calling pbChooseBaseGraphic in your intro. Are you calling it before you set your character's name and gender? This error seems like it's popping up because your player's character (gender) isn't defined yet (ie. set to nil)
Hope this helps!
I'm using v18 for it, and the pbChooseBaseGraphic is after where the name and gender are defined.
unknown.png

WolfHeretic

Novice
quick question however (for OP) is there a way to tie the lock and unlock coding to items (not base but additional) so its easier to make a shop and such, if your unsure i can try and figure it out and give it back aswell (as if people might want it as an add-on)

Yeah I'm not sure, I haven't really looked in-depth at the Pokemart script, sorry. It seems like the Pokemart screen is tied to physical items, so the way to avoid coding would be to tie each clothing item to an item you would define in the items.txt file, and then use the unlock script after checking whether that item is in the player's bag. Definitely feel free to look into that and get back to me if you want to though!

WolfHeretic

Novice
I'm using v18 for it, and the pbChooseBaseGraphic is after where the name and gender are defined.
Last question, did you name the file in the below image 0A.png or did that file appear once you ran my script?

This might be a v18 issue with the release. I'm going to run some tests on my end and see if I can figure out the problem. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Nomi

Trainer
Last question, did you name the file in the below image 0A.png or did that file appear once you ran my script?

This might be a v18 issue with the release. I'm going to run some tests on my end and see if I can figure out the problem. I'll get back to you ASAP.
I named it 0A and 0B. When they didn't work, I replaced it with the ones in the example folder download you posted and replace them, but they still didn't work.

ArchyArc

Yeah I'm not sure, I haven't really looked in-depth at the Pokemart script, sorry. It seems like the Pokemart screen is tied to physical items, so the way to avoid coding would be to tie each clothing item to an item you would define in the items.txt file, and then use the unlock script after checking whether that item is in the player's bag. Definitely feel free to look into that and get back to me if you want to though!

Yea testing now, is there a way to, atleast for the dev, to call stuff to fix it working on old saves? have got it unlocking the base ones but it always refers to "retUnlockedAccessoryArray" since it cant call them or smth.

WolfHeretic

Novice
I named it 0A and 0B. When they didn't work, I replaced it with the ones in the example folder download you posted and replace them, but they still didn't work.

Could you rename the files 0A and 0B, and then send a pic of any error message you get after you run the script again? Would also be nice to get a screenshot of the addNeccessaryFiles function in your code. I think the line numbers are a bit off between your script and mine so it's difficult to tell where exactly the script is going wrong.

WolfHeretic

Novice
Yea testing now, is there a way to, atleast for the dev, to call stuff to fix it working on old saves? have got it unlocking the base ones but it always refers to "retUnlockedAccessoryArray" since it cant call them or smth.
Really skeptical this will work but try this:
Where the following chunk of code appears in CharacterCust_Main
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
  def clothesUnlocking
    if !@clothesUnlocking
      @clothesUnlocking=[]
      @clothesUnlocking.push cnvrtBoolArr(HAIR_ITEMS)
      @clothesUnlocking.push cnvrtBoolArr(TOP_ITEMS)
      @clothesUnlocking.push cnvrtBoolArr(BOTTOM_ITEMS)
      @clothesUnlocking.push cnvrtBoolArr(HEADGEAR_ITEMS)
      @clothesUnlocking.push cnvrtBoolArr(ACCESSORY_ITEMS)
    end
    return @clothesUnlocking
  end

delete the lines "if !@clothesUnlocking" and the first "end". Run your game without trying to unlock any items and see if the script works. If it does, save and add those lines back in. Hope this helps.

ArchyArc

Turned it off and it can run, however it calls "Unable to replace files. One of the neccessary files does not exist" and the outfit doesnt save.

On loading it does the "oldsave thing", however unlike usual oldload stuff it runs fine after.

5t0BCco.png

this also happens on new saves, not the "unable to replace" but the not saving outfits and the error

Last edited:

Nomi

Trainer
Could you rename the files 0A and 0B, and then send a pic of any error message you get after you run the script again? Would also be nice to get a screenshot of the addNeccessaryFiles function in your code. I think the line numbers are a bit off between your script and mine so it's difficult to tell where exactly the script is going wrong.
unknown.png

and the error code is the same
unknown.png

WolfHeretic

Novice
Turned it off and it can run, however it calls "Unable to replace files. One of the neccessary files does not exist" and the outfit doesnt save.
Sorry this turning into a debug session. Based on the message, it seem like one of the "_curr" files isn't created when you run the Character Customization script. Can you check if all of the following files exist? There should also be another set of files which is named the same except "_curr" is appended to the end their names:
In the "Graphics/Characters" folder:
-boy_bike
-boy_surf_offset
-boy_run
-boy_dive_offset
-boy_fish_offset
-boy_fishsurf_offset
In the "Graphics/Pictures/" folder:
-introBoy
-mapplayer000

On loading it does the "oldsave thing", however unlike usual oldload stuff it runs fine after.

5t0BCco.png

this also happens on new saves, not the "unable to replace" but the not saving outfits and the error
I'm not sure what this error is tbh, feel like I've seen it before though. That might not be related to my script but I'm not 100% sure.

ArchyArc

boy_bike, boy_dive_offset, boy_fish_offset, boy_fishsurf_offset,boy_run,boy_surf_offset all exist, same for intro (i remvoed the stuff for mapplayer but its still there incase) however boy_surf_offset does not have _curr while all the others do

WolfHeretic

Novice
however boy_surf_offset does not have _curr while all the others do
I think that's what's causing it not to save. Have you added "boy_surf_offset" into the hash SPRITE_CONVERT_HASH?
If you haven't already, you need to add the line
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
"boy_surf_offset" => "overworld surf",
under the "boy_surf" line into the SPRITE_CONVERT_HASH hash, because part of the code that updates a player's current outfit relies on this hash. Lmk if this does/doesn't work or if you've already done this.

Back