• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Ancient Song (2 gym demo)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.

b8792494be82ccf66d17c406588337f3-dbdygzt.png

POKEMON ANCIENT SONG
676_by_nicotot642-dbfqh6u.gif
677_by_nicotot642-dbfqh6s.gif
678_by_nicotot642-dbfqh6m.gif

Welcome to the Symphong Region

::THREAD UPDATE::
im working on the game again

also the logo is just for weeb aesthetic, im not actually japanese
::FEATURES::
warning!!!!! This game includes music that might get you copyrighted!!!
i need to do some resarch in fair use and all that so be careful if you plan on showcasing this game!!!
2 GYMS
2 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY
OVER 50 AVAILABLE FAKEMON
NEW SYMPHONIC TYPING
AFTER DEMO AREAS TO CATCH STARTERS

vega fakemon cause why not
moving sprites/in progress of graphical overhaul

thats it
::PLAYABLE PROGRESS UPDATE::
update 0.0.7.3 Aesthetic Update #3

Download
::TEAM::
lil ol' me - scripter, mapper, artist, spriter

im making this game up as i go, so if anyone wants to help out with story, that would be neato!
wheelillar_by_nicotot642-dbfqxpm.gif
motocoon_by_nicotot642-dbfta62.gif
yamahanarch_by_nicotot642-dbftfbj.gif
aiprum_by_nicotot642-dbfrae5.gif
imported_piskel_by_nicotot642-dbftal2.gif

ALPHA SCREENSHOTS
capture_by_nicotot642-dbdfxpa.png
capture2_by_nicotot642-dbdfxp7.png
capture4_by_nicotot642-dbdfxp3.png
capture5_by_nicotot642-dbdfxot.png
capture6_by_nicotot642-dbdfxoo.png
capture7_by_nicotot642-dbdfxol.png

::EXTERNAL SUPPORT::
Deviantart

Pokemon - Game Freak/Nintendo
Sprites:
• GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
• Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
• Luka S.J. | Indexing and formatting the sprites
• dragonnite | GIF to PNG conversion
• Tebited15 | B/W styled trainer Red sprite
• Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow) | Gen 5 ball sprites

Battle Backgrounds:
• Eli | Ripping and compiling the backgrounds
• lilatraube | Some B2/W2 battle bases

Custom UI:
• Luka S.J. | Design, formatting and implementation

Scripts:
• Luka S.J. | Elite Battle System
• Maruno | General help and support
• dragonnite | GIF to PNG converter
• Pokémon Essentials | Base system

Sound Effects:
• GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
• BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects
Poccil/FlameGuru/Maruno - Pokemon Essentials
Relic Castle - for telling me what to do
and you all who support this game, thank you
FULL CREDITS ARE WITH GAME

Last edited:

Mozart

Annoying Twit
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) since we're posting these

Dude those sprites are top-notch!

Reactions: Nic

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
Your maps seem a bit choppy - the only good looking ones from the screens are the House one and the Forest one - the house is traighforward, but the forest has good spacing, interesting uses of trees with smaller trees and just looks good overall.
However, the other maps seem to be claustrophobic, and have uninteresting designs: those houses are incredibly small, and the paths don't even connect with one another for some reason. Those mountain tiles don't look like they should be able to be walked on - the paths are incredibly tight, and I don't think grass really fits that very well.

The plot seems pretty by the books, though I'm a little concerned about how closely this game takes "inspiration" from those existing games and with what credit.
Fakemon games are always fun and usually help mix up the gameplay in fun innovative ways - but some of those designs look a bit awkward in their poses or just design in general and not all of them feel as though they really fit as "pokemon" like the purple rabbit with the bag or the green lizard snake man.

Nic

ocean man
Those look like the starters from Pokemon Vega hmmmm.....
oooh ya got me! I think im putting those as place holders until i make something thats fun and original, but for now, yes, those are resprited vega mons haha------------------------
Your maps seem a bit choppy - the only good looking ones from the screens are the House one and the Forest one - the house is traighforward, but the forest has good spacing, interesting uses of trees with smaller trees and just looks good overall.
However, the other maps seem to be claustrophobic, and have uninteresting designs: those houses are incredibly small, and the paths don't even connect with one another for some reason. Those mountain tiles don't look like they should be able to be walked on - the paths are incredibly tight, and I don't think grass really fits that very well.

The plot seems pretty by the books, though I'm a little concerned about how closely this game takes "inspiration" from those existing games and with what credit.
Fakemon games are always fun and usually help mix up the gameplay in fun innovative ways - but some of those designs look a bit awkward in their poses or just design in general and not all of them feel as though they really fit as "pokemon" like the purple rabbit with the bag or the green lizard snake man.
Thanks dude! You bring up some pretty good points. Of course all the maps arent final and are always subject to change. I think i need to stop with the whole," small is cute" philosophy in general to be honest. Especially if it effects the gameplay and overall look of the game. As for the non connected maps, I was kinda going for an ORAS feel with the seperated maps, but like you said, it does make the maps feel more claustrophobic in a sense. On an unrelated note, I'm planning on making original tilesets so the game feels more unique like the dark feel of Pokemon Reborn. I'm trying to go for more of a lighter story, and lighter feel while also keeping the difficulty real. As for the "inspiration", which i see none of, all I see are fakemon from the japanese rom hacks being put to "good" use, plain and simple. For the fakemon poses, I kinda want to take the "fall" on that one. As an artist, I tend to draw things with more movement, so I guess you could call it a style choice. So be it awkward, but I like the movement better than stagnant pokemon sprites, I do however, need to spend some time and make proper back sprites. I do need to change the description, since this game is focused more on fakemon. And yeah, thats my paragraph haha, thanks for the feed back, it really is appreciated! Im a criticism sponge id like to think so feel free to go in, my self esteem is piss garbage so i guess thats why im good at taking critiques and such. That aside, feel free to give more feedback when you get the chance, helps me grow, ya know?get it? cause im a rice guy??

Nic

ocean man
Thread Update "small is cute":
new screen shots showing off battle ui and new symphonic typing (might have to squint to see, sorry)
new starters, all original fakemon here on out
new title and logo, now centering around Meloetta... i miss pokemon evoas
demo 0.0.2 is out, play it with no expectations please, other than there is fakemon
- 1 gym
- 1 hour of game play

Questions/Comments:
"I don't like how small the protagonists are!" eh... I feel since my map sizes aren't the biggest, the next best thing to make it feel more open is to make the characters small, so i have a reason for my madness
"Where do i heal my pokemon? My mom is stupid, also the map is stupid." You can heal your pokemon by talking to the omelets placed around the game (Typhinas house, Penne Undergrowth) The map is a work in progress, again, don't have expectations that this is an extravagant demo.
"Why are there weird paths that I can't get to?" I'm planning on adding after-game areas for the official demo, much like Pokemon Vega, these areas will allow you to catch fakemon that you otherwise can't get in the main demo.
"Why release a demo that you're not confident about? Won't that just make the game seem less... special, or good?" Sure, I'm not confident, but I am proud that I even made it this far with just myself making the game. I have REALLY bad motivation issues, so this is a big step for me.
"Symphonic typing?" I know, I'm REALLY original, it's just another variant of Sound Type, just changed a bit, and added a new name for it.
"The range for the trainers need work." Yep.
"The catch rates for certain pokemon need fixing." Yep.
any further questions will be added to this reply.

"Enjoy", and feed back is appreciated.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
I'm playing this right now! One thing: I caught a Hoodirb with a black hood, but it's apparently supposed to have an orange hood? Did I accidentally run into some kind of variant over here or is that something different.

Nic

ocean man
I'm playing this right now! One thing: I caught a Hoodirb with a black hood, but it's apparently supposed to have an orange hood? Did I accidentally run into some kind of variant over here or is that something different.
Correctomundo! It has different hood colors~ Also, is everything working so far? Music, fonts, etc? I know other fonts are small, the only ones that seem to work well is the new font and the fire red font

Mozart

Annoying Twit
The smaller fonts look a little, uh, how can I describe this, fuzzy? When you use something besides the FR/LG font there's an echo of sorts. But yeah, everything else is working fine so far! I will love and cherish my super goth hoob birb.

Edit: Aight, now that I've played like 90% into this I think I can give a fairly balanced train of thoughts. I am saying this while fully well knowing that this is a demo-demo-demo so stuff like "there's no backsprites, there's no proper trainer sprite, yadda yadda" won't be mentioned cause, duh, of course there's not.

I'm not sure how I feel about the HP bar's styilization, it looks really cool but also makes me think well what purpose is there to it looking like this? I like the starters, I picked the water one because it's very cute and I could tell right off the bat it was based on the Libra sign, plus the water/fighting typing appealed to me. It seems a little weird that the grass and water starters get dual typing but not the fire starter, and I can't cleeeearly tell what the fire starter is supposed to be based on--I could guess possibly Virgo for the grass one since, sound, harp strings, but for fire starter I could only figure "well Aries and Leo are fire signs so maybe them?" Don't get me wrong though, they're adorable and I like them.

The first town selling Pokeballs but not antidotes or potions when you're about to go through a VERY LONG forest FULL of poison types is frustrating, and even the gym's town not selling antidotes when the leader has poison type Pokemon is off-putting. You get Magibun which is a psychic type to counteract them and plenty of bug types to counteract the one that's dark and poison, so that's fine, I'm not harping on the fact that the poison types exist!

Like I also mentioned, the compression on the text in some places (the battle menu when you're picking moves, the options menu in the beginning when you flip to DPPT text, that looks very strange, and as far as I know I have the fonts for all of those installed on my computer from previous games so I'm not entirely crazy.

I really like the designs for the Pokemon in this, like I said Pailn is very cute (I named mine Lapis), so is Hoodirb (I named mine Plaguella) and the wheel-caterpillar bug is amazing (I named mine NYOOM), even though I pointed out that there are a lot of poison types they're all really really cool designs. The little layout for picking moves with the specific typing symbol showing is also a neat touch. Overall I am pretty impressed with what you've got so far and yeah, you did a good job, dude! Whenever you're able to get out a follow up or updates I'll be eager to play!

Nic

ocean man
The smaller fonts look a little, uh, how can I describe this, fuzzy? When you use something besides the FR/LG font there's an echo of sorts. But yeah, everything else is working fine so far! I will love and cherish my super goth hoob birb.

Edit: Aight, now that I've played like 90% into this I think I can give a fairly balanced train of thoughts. I am saying this while fully well knowing that this is a demo-demo-demo so stuff like "there's no backsprites, there's no proper trainer sprite, yadda yadda" won't be mentioned cause, duh, of course there's not.

I'm not sure how I feel about the HP bar's styilization, it looks really cool but also makes me think well what purpose is there to it looking like this? I like the starters, I picked the water one because it's very cute and I could tell right off the bat it was based on the Libra sign, plus the water/fighting typing appealed to me. It seems a little weird that the grass and water starters get dual typing but not the fire starter, and I can't cleeeearly tell what the fire starter is supposed to be based on--I could guess possibly Virgo for the grass one since, sound, harp strings, but for fire starter I could only figure "well Aries and Leo are fire signs so maybe them?" Don't get me wrong though, they're adorable and I like them.

The first town selling Pokeballs but not antidotes or potions when you're about to go through a VERY LONG forest FULL of poison types is frustrating, and even the gym's town not selling antidotes when the leader has poison type Pokemon is off-putting. You get Magibun which is a psychic type to counteract them and plenty of bug types to counteract the one that's dark and poison, so that's fine, I'm not harping on the fact that the poison types exist!

Like I also mentioned, the compression on the text in some places (the battle menu when you're picking moves, the options menu in the beginning when you flip to DPPT text, that looks very strange, and as far as I know I have the fonts for all of those installed on my computer from previous games so I'm not entirely crazy.

I really like the designs for the Pokemon in this, like I said Pailn is very cute (I named mine Lapis), so is Hoodirb (I named mine Plaguella) and the wheel-caterpillar bug is amazing (I named mine NYOOM), even though I pointed out that there are a lot of poison types they're all really really cool designs. The little layout for picking moves with the specific typing symbol showing is also a neat touch. Overall I am pretty impressed with what you've got so far and yeah, you did a good job, dude! Whenever you're able to get out a follow up or updates I'll be eager to play!
Thanks for the honest feedback dude! And honestly, i fixed a lot of stuff for the next demo, like the forest area isbt full of poison types! The trainers pokemon actually correspond to the area they are in. Also, i updated the shop so it is not just pokeballs, added after demo areas that contain exclusive pokemon, and pokemon you couldnt get otherwise. This demo aims to encourage you to backtrack and catcb as many fakemon as you can, oh yeah, i also fixed the catch rates for the starting pokemon since they were a bit too high. I ALSO added different outfits for the male and female sprites, but ive only done like one other outfit for them so far haha. I feel like i would have to change the hp bars back to how they used to be, and or, change them so they are more simple, and maybe music themed. I feel like the current demo im working on will be a proper first demo.

Fennicka

Novice
I'm currently playing it and I overall enjoy the demo. It has really good sprites and I love graphic for the mc. :)
But I have a problem, I'm stuck or rather I don't know what to do. After the first gym I can use cut. To get it I should go back to the hometown, right? And the problem is - I don't know where to go. Both Thicket Underground and city are blocked by trees.

Nic

ocean man
I'm currently playing it and I overall enjoy the demo. It has really good sprites and I love graphic for the mc. :)
But I have a problem, I'm stuck or rather I don't know what to do. After the first gym I can use cut. To get it I should go back to the hometown, right? And the problem is - I don't know where to go. Both Thicket Underground and city are blocked by trees.
wow, i was sitting here for like ten minutes beating myself up for this... I guess I forgot to put a way to get back to hometown, omg, im so sorry haha ill fix this right away for sure, thank you for telling me this.
EDIT: New version is up, allowing you to go back to Windchime Town to get cut and continue to the unfinished second gym, just talk to the signs and they should disappear, making you able to get past them.

Last edited:

WaterTrainer

Novice
From what I've seen of the game, it isn't too bad, you're doing really good for working on it by yourself.

Just a few critiques and questions.

Fakemon - The sprites/fakemon could use some work, it's a bit hard to make out what a few of the Pokemon are suppose to be, also, some don't look as if they have a face. Can I suggest studying official Pokemon sprites, see how shading and shapes work, try and smooth out lines, it took me years to figure out how to sprite decently and studying official sprites really helps.

Tiles - Try and be different, 99% of fan games are using the same tilesets from Gen 3 and tbh it's making all games look the same and a bit boring, try editing the tiles, changing colors etc, it really does make a difference.

Trainers - Please tell me you'll be adding in trainer sprites? The mini sprites at the beginning of battles is a real put off.

I would help on your game but I'm trying to finish off Solar Light/Lunar Dark while also getting my next game in order, but if you want I can try and make some Gen 3 style tiles for you to use, just to help your game stand out some more.

Fennicka

Novice
Hey, it's me again. While playing I've noticed something.
1.TM Return doesn't seem to work on any pokemon.
2.Vyena and Ledyba are missing from pokedex.
(I really hope I'm not annoyig you with pointing these tiny details out... :sweat:)

Nic

ocean man
From what I've seen of the game, it isn't too bad, you're doing really good for working on it by yourself.

Just a few critiques and questions.

Fakemon - The sprites/fakemon could use some work, it's a bit hard to make out what a few of the Pokemon are suppose to be, also, some don't look as if they have a face. Can I suggest studying official Pokemon sprites, see how shading and shapes work, try and smooth out lines, it took me years to figure out how to sprite decently and studying official sprites really helps.

Tiles - Try and be different, 99% of fan games are using the same tilesets from Gen 3 and tbh it's making all games look the same and a bit boring, try editing the tiles, changing colors etc, it really does make a difference.

Trainers - Please tell me you'll be adding in trainer sprites? The mini sprites at the beginning of battles is a real put off.

I would help on your game but I'm trying to finish off Solar Light/Lunar Dark while also getting my next game in order, but if you want I can try and make some Gen 3 style tiles for you to use, just to help your game stand out some more.
Thanks for the feedback dude! Honestly I should really learn to wait until I can provide something worth playing, cause right now I'm just making this up as I go. Think of this game as like a way for me to put down my ideas on a playable sheet of paper.

Fakemon - Yeeeeeeeah, my style isn't really reminiscent that of a Pokemon, I could call it a style choice and hide under a rock, but at the end of the day, I am making a Pokemon game haha. So yeah, I'll definitely study other sprites, I've only been spriting for like a few months anyways.

Tiles - I would VERY much like to differ my game from others with custom tilesets, and I should really take the time to learn about tilesets and how to make mine unique to my game.
As for the offer for those 3rd gen tiles, anything helps. I could study off them, and honestly, what would be the fun in creating a game without a little help? So yeah, if you could make a bit of a tileset, that would be more than helpful :)

Trainers - I'd rather draw them then sprite them, so expect drawn pictures for the trainer sprites, much like the trainer's back sprite during a battle.

Honestly, your'e kinda the reason I wanted to start making a fan game in the first place, so it's a bit surreal to have you offer help haha. But dude, keep doing what you're doing, the final update to SLLD, Pokemon Theos, I'm eagerly waiting for both 'cause I know they'll be awesome :)
Hey, it's me again. While playing I've noticed something.
1.TM Return doesn't seem to work on any pokemon.
2.Vyena and Ledyba are missing from pokedex.
(I really hope I'm not annoyig you with pointing these tiny details out... :sweat:)
You're not annoying me at all! In fact you're helping me a lot more then most people right now, aside from Watertrainer. Thank you for taking the time finding these small details, it helps me make a slightly more polished product than what it was before. Not that it hasn't been really "polished" before, but you get what I'm putting down.

JennyL

Rookie
Hi, i downloaded ur game after seeing it on youtube. It looks great and id love to play it but i cant get past the 1st part. I get my starter that i have to go show my mom before i can continue but i cant get back into my house at all. Big problem. Can you help me? What am i doing wrong? I really want to play this game. :sweat::sob:

Back