• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Edge of Reality (v2.08)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
ezP5VUs.png

Introduction & Story

Welcome to Pokemon Edge of Reality, a game that brings a new and fascinating twist to the fan game genre! Here, you'll be thrust into an alternate reality with a brand new region to explore, known as Kavoenn. You'll experience and encounter many similar faces that you've seen in past Pokemon games, although they may act differently than you'd expect!

VgKklyQ.png

The game begins in Sinnoh, with you, as the protagonist, have just defeated champion Cynthia. After winning, you travel to Turnback Cave, looking to battle the legendary Pokemon, Giratina. But the battle is not as straightforward as it seems...

Features

• Search for your starter among 9 different and unorthodox Pokemon! (With updated move-sets and stats.)
  • Meet almost every canon character from the Pokemon games!
  • All Pokemon Gen 1 - 7 will be available to catch.
  • Pokemon can follow you!
  • An original region and story in an alternate world!
  • Mega Evolution!
  • New moves and maybe even a couple different "Regional Variants".
  • Every Town, City, Route, or Cave has a different theme!
  • Difficulty Modes!
  • Tons of Challenge Modes available! (Nuzlocke, Randomizer, etc...)
  • Achievement System with Rewards!
  • Quality of Life features, such as a Fast Forward Toggle, Quick Save, and functionality for Multiple Save Files.

Starter Locations
If you're struggling finding the Pokemon you want, this is for you!
Easiest to find:
Pancham: Can be found in the back left corner in the Kitchen/Living room
nibbling on a plant.

Slakoth: Located upstairs in the bedroom lying on a bed.

Duskull: Found in the basement in a Pokemon Center healing machine.

Hidden:
Noibat: Also found in the basement in a PC near the back of the room

Sewaddle: Located on the brown table inside the flower pot.

Trubbish: Can be found in the trashcan nearest the entrance to the upstairs bedroom.

Well hidden:
Mareep can be found somewhere in the bedroom. (If you look closely, you can spot the Mareep moving around by it's dust cloud)

This Pokemon is located in the kitchen. However, before being able to take it, you have to locate the file about the vulpix on a computer.

To get the a shiny Aron as your starter, you must enter the correct pass-code at a bookcase to enter a secret room. There is a diary written on a desk somewhere which should give you a clue to the password.

Screenshots

gVFlGVb.jpg

Yah8Juy.jpg

K1uIs39.jpg

gXea0NV.jpg

4pmV0RO.jpg

mjvYjDL.jpg

MZN5abr.jpg

EzwIAKy.jpg

vkjzmbj.jpg

Edge of Reality v1.0 Trailer

Demo Download and Credits

A new demo has been released! Version 2.0 adds a ton of new content, bringing the total playtime to around 10-20 hours! The full list of additions and changes can be read below!
Cities and Routes:
  • Added Lenespi City, which includes:
    • The Lenespi Recycling Center
    • Lenespi Apartment Complex
    • A fake beach
    • A bunch of side quests
    • An optional Tree Battle Challenge Event
    • Like 30 houses (what was I thinking smh)
  • Added Vivion Pass
  • Added Vivion City, which includes:
    • The Vivion Lighthouse (Which has been invaded)
    • A real beach!
    • A boat which cannot be ridden (yet)
  • Added half of Seaspring Slope, which includes
    • Chuck's Dojo
      • This place has a lot of puzzles
      • hehehe
    • A roadblock
  • Added Duskmire Wasteland (The final area of the demo)

Other Additions:
  • New Achievements System!
  • 4 or 5 Major battle events!
  • Collect Sidney's Sapphire!
  • Readjusted the difficulty to make the Normal difficulty easier.
  • Erased Easy mode, now there is only Normal, Hard, and Ruthless.
  • Improved the repel system to make it much more user-friendly!
  • Various Bug fixes
  • Lowered the game's file size a bit
  • Added gameplay improvements from the content in Demo v1.0
  • Finally, added a couple easter eggs! ;)

The download available currently is Demo v2.08, and can be downloaded Here! (Download the 2.08 file, unless for some reason you want to download a previous verison.)

If you are updating the game from v1.0 and want continue with that save file, that's fine.
But when you boot the game from your save file, you'll receive an error message. Click ok, as it WON'T crash your game.
Save over your old file and then everything should be fine from there-on.

To continue using your old save file, follow this:
  • Rename your save file folder to "Edge of Reality Demo" (without the quotation marks)
    • To locate your save file on Windows:
      • C:\Users(your name)\Saved Games\Edge of Reality Demo 1_0
    • On Mac:
      • Right-click the app, Show Package Contents, drive_c, Program Files, Edge of Reality Demo 1_0
  • In all future demo's this problem shouldn't matter as releases will have the same save file name.

As a added note, Pokemon Edge of Reality is not a completed game, so there may be unexpected bugs and/or crashes, so save often and please report them in the thread. Also, any feedback on the difficulty of the game on any of the separate difficulty modes is appreciated!

--RPG Maker:
Enterbrain

--Pokemon Essentials:
Poccil
Flameguru
Maruno
FL.
P-Sign

--Elite Battle System
Luka SJ!

--Title Screen:
Luka again
https://fontmeme.com/pixel-fonts/ - The Edge of Reality Logo

--Sprites/Artwork/Tilesets:

Bulbapedia.net
Amethyst
Noscium
Quanyails
Zermonious
GeoIsEvil
KyleDove
ThePurplest
RM2K3Kid - For ripping the D/P Overworld Sprites.
ultrademise (from reliccastle, made the OW's for the items in my game.)
Diegotoon20 (Mimikyu OW)\
Princess Phoenix and José de la Sierra (Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds)
piphybuilder88 (Gen 7 OW's for Alolan Forms)
Mr Sunshine (All of the other Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds not done by the people above)
KleinStudio
izzyvicious (Hala, Burnett, and AZ Overworlds)
Tricko1 - Ripped the Mega Evolution Sound FX, Mega Evolution Cries (with help from Norbert Crescent), and the Mega Stone Icons! (with help from Ploaj)
Nx-kun, Lemon, and Sparta (Gen 4 Trainer Sprites)
PurpleZaffre - TONS of Overworlds: Ghetsis, N, Colress, NeoPlasma and Plasma Grunts, Flannery, Brawly, Juan, and Lorelei)
PurpleZaffre - Private Investigator, Pokemon Breeders, and Dragon Tamer (all commissioned by maicerochico)
JIKARORIGINAL - Guzma Gen 5 OW (Formatted to 4th gen by me.)
Clowcardruler
Venom12
chasemortier
Wergan & PurpleAladdin
Beliot419 (All the Sun and Moon Trainer Sprites)
Zender1752 (made 5th gen styled 7th gen overworlds, formatted and made unto the 4th gen style by me) (Even just redoing a Overworld made me realize how difficult and tedious it really is, so thank you to everyone who provided free OWs!)
tebited15 (Lucas Back sprite)
PokemonBrendan (Dawn Back sprite)
spritemight (Fogs and Panoramas)
Kuruttra (Oranguru Fan Art)
WilliamGJ and Rayd12smitty (Waterfall tiles)
Phyromatical
zetavares852
EVoLiNa
RadicalRaptr
EpicDay
Thurpok
UltimoSpriter
Dewitty
Prince Legandario
MinorThreat0987
TyranitarDark
kaitoooo
WesleyFG
BoOmxBiG
CrimsonTakai
ThatsSoWitty
UltimateTraveler
SpartaLazor
Alucus & Calis Projects
Speedialga
Pokemon-Diamond
Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
07harris/Paranoid
19dante91
27alexmad27
Alistair
Alucus
Alucus
Atomika
Bakura155
Blue Beedrill
Boomxbig
Bulbapedia and Bulbaforums
chimcharsfireworkd
Chio
CNickC/CNC
Flood
Fused
G-olden
help14
Jesse TBPro
lordindy
Kizemaru_Kurunosuke
klnothincomin
Kuroda-Taiki
Newtiteuf
Novus
Pokemon_Diamond
PrinceLegendario
Reck
Red-Gyrados
REMY35
RHN
Saurav
Scarexshivaking
Seiyouh
SL249
spaceemotion
spypoke megafc
ThePokemonChronicles
Gallanty
Hydrargirium
Deo - Custom Day/Night Tones
leparagon (Guzma Pixel art; Vs & Trainer Sprites)

--Music:
Eric Matyas @ www.soundimage.org
RetroSpecter
Kamex
Vanilluxe Pavillion
Kunning Fox - Wild Battle remix and Trainer Battle remix, but a lot of other amazing tracks as well
Sonicwave1000 - Most notably the "Gurudd" Theme (which was actually a Zelda remix lol)
Lugigigas - His amazing "Epic Orchestrated" battle remixes (Duskmire Town Music)
PokeRemixStudio
ZameJack

Jobless Music - The Gym Leader's last Pokemon theme in RSE's soundfont
Aaron Krogh - Made ton's of music formated for RPGMaker that I used here!
Check out his soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/aaron-anderson-11
RyanA (RPGMaker Forums)
SCythuz (soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/scythuz) - Made some more amazing music!
TheBrogrammer (soundcload: https://soundcloud.com/thebrogrammer) - Town Music!
Nintendo/GameFreak-Pokemon RSE/ORAS Music
StarterKit - A lot of the music in there is used.
Giratina Remixes/Azure - Wild Batlle Victory Music (Remix from G/S/C)
FL.Remix - Kanto Gym Leader Remix
Random Talking Bush - Ripped modern Pokemon cries. Resource provided by Rhyden.
TGH - PMD Remasters
HellboundDochi - Super Paper Mario Sammer's Kingdom Remix
Jake Burrone - Ghost Girl Battle Theme
Pokken Tournament OST
Pokemon Rumble Blast OST

--Scripts:
Marin (Tons of stuff from Relic Castle and Pokecommunity)
LukaSJ (Tons more stuff from Relic Castle and Pokecommunity)
JV (Nuzlocke Script)
carmaniac (Speech Bubbles Script)
Swdfm and Mr. Gela (Password Script)
Jonas930 (New Replace Party Pokemon Script)
KleinStudio (Grass Animation, Fly Animation, Footprints, and Pond Bubbles Scripts)
Mr.Gela (Name-window Script, plus extra windowskin graphics)
Mej71 (Following Pokemon, challenge mode scripts, name-windowskin script, and Pokeballs in the Poke-center script)
Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, Venom12 (Help with Following Pokemon Script)
Ulithium_Dragon (Pokemon sprites on moniter script)
Joltik (Trainer Scale Evolving Pokemon Script)
WolfPP, rekman - Couple of Move animations for EBS

--Essentials PBS Editor Program v1.3:
Marin
PinkFluffyDragon

--Gen 7 Sprites and PBS:
Zeak6464
Tapu Fini
SpartaLazor
Leparagon
BlackOutG5
Rune
M3rein
Rigbycwts
Rot8er_ConeX
James Davy
Luka S.J.
Amethyst
Jan
Zumi
Bazaro
Koyo
Smeargletail
Alex
Noscium
N-kin
fishbowlsoul90
princess-phoenix
DatLopunnyTho
Conyjams
kaji atsu
The cynical poet
LuigiPlayer
Falgaia of the Smogon S/M sprite project
Pikafan2000
Lord-Myre
Lepargon
Amethyst
Jasper Fox
MillaLya

--Extra Move Animations:
Pkmn.master
KLNOTHINCOMIN
HarmonyConcept

--Pokemon Summary Screen:
Lucidious89 (IV stars displayed in the summary screen)
Akizakura16 (Also made or compiled a lot of other resources found in my game from relic castle and deviantart. Plus, she made some tutorials on fogs and tilesets that helped a ton.)

--Special Thanks:
Atomic Reactor (Youtube, where I first learned about Pokemon Essentials.)
My guy Kyle, who bug tested the game for me and provided moral support ;)

--Copyright Disclaimer:
Credit: Nintendo, Game Freak, Creature Inc., TPCi
Original Composition : Junichi Masuda, Go Ichinose
Original Designer : Ken Sugimori
OST - Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire music/Black and White music
--------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976,
allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism,
comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.
Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing.
Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."
All music and content included within this game is owned by the
respective artists and no copyright infringement is intended.

Thank you to everyone who helped in the creation of this game, whether personally or through resources!
I hope all of you enjoy this demo and all feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

Chaos

Rookie
All of the content in the next update is actually completed, all I'm doing right now is bug testing and making sure everything is working how it's supposed to.

I would say the next update should be released by the end of April, but things don't always work out the way they should, so don't get your hopes up haha.
Thats great, cant wait to see how the game will turn out

Wiispeed03

Novice
ezP5VUs.png

A new demo has been released!

Version 2.0 of Pokemon Edge of Reality is available now! It adds around 5-10 hours of gameplay.
The new version can be downloaded Here! (Download the 2.0 file, unless for some reason you want to download the previous verison.)

For more information on the new version and all of the additions, check the main thread!

Enjoy!! All feedback is appreciated!

Maor80

Cooltrainer
Can i get mudkip in this version unlike in in version 1 if so how ican get it?

ShinyMissingno

??? Pokémon
uh... is there a particular reason that I get an error any time I try to use pokeballs? I can't catch anything. At all. An error pops up any time I try to use a pokeball, and when I hit 'ok' it removes a pokeball from my inventory but doesn't actually go through with the catch attempt. It's just consuming pokeballs.
this is the error it gives me;
It's talking about nuzlockes but I never set one up? I wasn't asked if I wanted to do a challenge, so I have no idea what it's going on about.
---------------------------
Edge of Reality Demo
[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]

Exception: SystemStackError
New Nuzlocke by JV and Mej71:192:in `pbThrowPokeBall_ebs'
EliteBattle_0:375:in `nuzlocke_ThrowPokeBall'
New Nuzlocke by JV and Mej71:221:in `pbThrowPokeBall_ebs'

Wiispeed03

Novice
uh... is there a particular reason that I get an error any time I try to use pokeballs? I can't catch anything. At all. An error pops up any time I try to use a pokeball, and when I hit 'ok' it removes a pokeball from my inventory but doesn't actually go through with the catch attempt. It's just consuming pokeballs.
this is the error it gives me;
It's talking about nuzlockes but I never set one up? I wasn't asked if I wanted to do a challenge, so I have no idea what it's going on about.
Edge of Reality Demo
[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]

Exception: SystemStackError
New Nuzlocke by JV and Mej71:192:in `pbThrowPokeBall_ebs'

I will look at that in a bit, but that has never happened to me, so I'm not completely sure what's happening. I'll try to figure out a solution.
Sorry about that!

ShinyMissingno

??? Pokémon
I will look at that in a bit, but that has never happened to me, so I'm not completely sure what's happening. I'll try to figure out a solution.
Sorry about that!
Thanks! I might try starting over in the meanwhiles - maybe I somehow set it to a nuzlocke while I was starting up? I just clicked right past the whole part that asked you about modes and stuff, figuring it'd give me a normal run. I didn't get very far in - was trying to catch a caterpie for some guy in a cave the next town over. It also crashed once while I tried to enter that second town, but not the second time? I missed the error though.
I have a vague unfounded suspicion it had to do with my mon holding the Kings Rock at the time, because my mon wasn't hoding the Kings Rock the second time I tried to enter the town, when the game didn't crash.

Past all my fun error adventures, this is an interesting game~! I like what I've seen so far if it makes you feel better. :D

Wiispeed03

Novice
Thanks! I might try starting over in the meanwhiles - maybe I somehow set it to a nuzlocke while I was starting up? I just clicked right past the whole part that asked you about modes and stuff, figuring it'd give me a normal run. I didn't get very far in - was trying to catch a caterpie for some guy in a cave the next town over. It also crashed once while I tried to enter that second town, but not the second time? I missed the error though.
I have a vague unfounded suspicion it had to do with my mon holding the Kings Rock at the time, because my mon wasn't hoding the Kings Rock the second time I tried to enter the town, when the game didn't crash.

Past all my fun error adventures, this is an interesting game~! I like what I've seen so far if it makes you feel better. :D

Thanks I really appreciate it! The thing is I've played the game two times through and my friend played it once and none of those errors happened. So honestly I have no idea what is going on which is very frustrating lol. But thanks for letting me know I'll see what I can do! And if that error when entering the city happens again please send me the message! Thanks!

ShinyMissingno

??? Pokémon
So, after staring a new file and absolutely blazing through the intro, I seem to be able to catch pokemon just fine. That's... weird. I DID nab that Sneasel from the adoption center in my first file, if that's a reason it might screw up. Hopefully it's not the reason my game decided I wasn't allowed to catch pokemon, I really want that small boy on my team...

EDIT; haven't gotten to the next town yet though. Will update if it decides to break again, but for now, I need to head off as it's super late at night, rip

Wiispeed03

Novice
So, after staring a new file and absolutely blazing through the intro, I seem to be able to catch pokemon just fine. That's... weird. I DID nab that Sneasel from the adoption center in my first file, if that's a reason it might screw up. Hopefully it's not the reason my game decided I wasn't allowed to catch pokemon, I really want that small boy on my team...

EDIT; haven't gotten to the next town yet though. Will update if it decides to break again, but for now, I need to head off as it's super late at night, rip

Ok, thanks for the Update! And I doubt the sneasel would be the problem, so you should hopefully be fine!

Also, I have added a little update to the downloads Here, v2.01, which fixes a few bugs that I noticed while playing myself, and completely removed the challenge modes, as they were causing too many problems that I, unfortunately, am not knowledgable enough to fix, lol.

Updating from 2.0 is as simple as extracting the files and running the game, and to update from 1.0 follow the same instructions in the main post.

Wiispeed03

Novice
Important Update!

OK so this should be the final update for a while, but when I uploaded v2.01 a couple of days ago one of the biggest bug fixes wasn't in the update.
I have just fixed it so please download the game again from the download link! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Blimpion

Rookie
Hey, really liking your game so far!

But I recently ran into a bug where I can't move after my fight with Cynthia in Lenepsi City.

Wiispeed03

Novice
Hey, really liking your game so far!

But I recently ran into a bug where I can't move after my fight with Cynthia in Lenepsi City.

J0RJgqW.png

So I checked the events and, as you said, the bottom events are bugged by an oversight of mine. If you enter through the top (the green circle), you should be fine. I'll upload a fix tonight or tomorrow morning.
Glad you're enjoying the game!

Wiispeed03

Novice
Ok, so v2.02 has been released, and adds a few bug fixes and gameplay improvements!
Download the latest version Here!

Blimpion

Rookie
Ok, so v2.02 has been released, and adds a few bug fixes and gameplay improvements!
Download the latest version Here!

Thanks for making the bug fixes, but I'm still having problems. Now, my character is just stuck in the chair while Cynthia is on the other side, unable to move. I think the game autosaved after the fight or something, and now I'm stuck.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Again, really liking your game!

Wiispeed03

Novice
Thanks for making the bug fixes, but I'm still having problems. Now, my character is just stuck in the chair while Cynthia is on the other side, unable to move. I think the game autosaved after the fight or something, and now I'm stuck.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Again, really liking your game!

Did you press the "s" key after the battle during the cutscene? That is the button for autosaving, and that might have made some problems for you. If you can't figure out any way to unfreeze your game, try sending me your save file @ pkmnedgeofreality@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do.

anaconda92230

Novice
Did you press the "s" key after the battle during the cutscene? That is the button for autosaving, and that might have made some problems for you. If you can't figure out any way to unfreeze your game, try sending me your save file @ pkmnedgeofreality@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do.

I have a problem I downloaded version 2.0.1 but I can not continue on my old version 1.0 backup how to continue on version 2.0.2? how to update ???

anaconda92230

Novice
I have a problem I downloaded version 2.0.1 but I can not continue on my old version 1.0 backup how to continue on version 2.0.1? how to update ???

Back