• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Ask Me Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your main design philosophy when working on a game (either Fan Game or original game)? Aside from following the direction that the team is going for.

I’m not too sure what you mean, could you give another example?

How it's like on the games you work on? Like are they fun and things of that nature.

Phoenix Rising is currently not that much fun to work on, because the vast majority (if not everything) is bugfixing, which is repetitive and boring. Being one of the only people active during this period is also rough. But before (and presumably after) that, it was a lot of fun and everyone was doing their part.
Ethereal Gates is just... what it is. I like working on it, I like seeing the progress we make.

1) what is your full name?
2) suppose you want to make your own pokedex with custom features so you will read the full pokedex script and then you will add features or you will make new one.
3)suppose you are going to type some code for any purpose but that code is already written and you don't know then what will you do?

1. There’s a lot I’m willing to share but my full-full name I’d rather not share bc privacy and what not, but my real name is Marijn. That’s hard to pronounce in any language other than Dutch though, and I don’t like it anyway. Marin is better.
2. I always write my scripts from scratch, especially when I want to add custom functionality.
3. If it does exactly what I need, I’ll try to understand it and go with it. If I think I can improve upon it, I’ll rewrite/update certain parts. If I think it’s bad or not ideal or not user-friendly, I’ll rewrite it.

Yodelhoo

Catching wall bugs
What is your credit card number? (just kidding)
What is your thoughts on the games for this years game jam?

Anuran

Novice
As far as I was concerned, you were making a game for the jam. What happned to it?

A.J1

Extra
I’m not too sure what you mean, could you give another example?

Phoenix Rising is currently not that much fun to work on, because the vast majority (if not everything) is bugfixing, which is repetitive and boring. Being one of the only people active during this period is also rough. But before (and presumably after) that, it was a lot of fun and everyone was doing their part.
Ethereal Gates is just... what it is. I like working on it, I like seeing the progress we make.

1. There’s a lot I’m willing to share but my full-full name I’d rather not share bc privacy and what not, but my real name is Marijn. That’s hard to pronounce in any language other than Dutch though, and I don’t like it anyway. Marin is better.
2. I always write my scripts from scratch, especially when I want to add custom functionality.
3. If it does exactly what I need, I’ll try to understand it and go with it. If I think I can improve upon it, I’ll rewrite/update certain parts. If I think it’s bad or not ideal or not user-friendly, I’ll rewrite it.
Sorry but I don't understand what is scratch in 2nd answer.
Have you ever been to Amsterdam or Utrecht.

What is your credit card number? (just kidding)
What is your thoughts on the games for this years game jam?

I haven’t paid too much attention to them as I’ve been away, but I was scared there were gonna be very few entries this year. But there are still almost 15, so everyone did a great job!

As far as I was concerned, you were making a game for the jam. What happned to it?

Our jam game was very different from a normal Pokémom game and required a lot of custom code, events, and writing. We decided we wouldn’t make the deadline in time, and we’d rather out out a good game than a very lacklustre one. We should be able to release it this month or next month maybe? Depends on how much time we have.

Sorry but I don't understand what is scratch in 2nd answer.
Have you ever been to Amsterdam or Utrecht.

From scratch means it’s made from the ground up, without using anything pre-existing.

And yeah of course, I live in the Netherlands.

A.J1

Extra
A) How do you become moderator in pokecommunity?
B) how many hours you do coding in a day?
C) how you and Luka s.j become friends?
D) when do you started learning rgss?
E) where do you live in Netherlands?
F) can we become friends?
G) what is your favorite subject?
H) which super hero do you love most in marvel avengers?

A) How do you become moderator in pokecommunity?
B) how many hours you do coding in a day?
C) how you and Luka s.j become friends?
D) when do you started learning rgss?
E) where do you live in Netherlands?
F) can we become friends?
G) what is your favorite subject?
H) which super hero do you love most in marvel avengers?

A. Just contribute wherever you want, be active, helpful, and most importantly, don’t ask for it. Maybe one day you’ll get asked (and that’s how it goes 99% of the time).
B. Depends. If I have something I like to do and don’t have anything else to do one day, I can easily have coded for 11 full hours (with a few breaks of course). Normally it’s between 2 and 4 though, with school and other activities.
C. I bugged him like anyone bugged him but I persisted until eventually I learned, and I became less and less of an idiot over time, and then we just started venting/ranting in DMs. good times
D. About 18 months back or so I think
E. South Holland
F. probably
G. Gymnastics or Music but I don’t have music anymore and gymnastics isn’t really a subject I guess, so it’d probably have to be math (B, so algebra, goniometry, that kinda stuff). or maybe chemistry, that’s pretty neat too.
H. Iron Man, mostly because the suits fascinate me. But RDJ is also just a great fucking actor ngl. Tom Holland’s Spiderman is also amazing.

A.J1

Extra
1. How do you remember user defined instance method? as there are many
2.Do you use laptop or desktop
3.you use Android or not
4.Which programming language you know?

A.J1

Extra
1.supose any code you need which pre-exist somewhere else in your script editor and you don't know where it is ,how will you find it .
2.how you understand the structure of essential ,do you read each script in every script section .
3.how you find the required graphics in deviant art as it is very enormous or big

What’s your favorite fan game that you haven’t worked on?

Uhh... Sage maybe? I haven’t played or seen much, but what I did see looked pretty cool.

1. How do you remember user defined instance method? as there are many
2.Do you use laptop or desktop
3.you use Android or not
4.Which programming language you know?

1. The more you use a certain module/class/method/property, the better you’ll remember it.
2. Desktop
3. iOS on my iPod Touch mostly, but sometimes Android when I’m on my phone.
4. Best-to-worst: Ruby, C#, JavaScript, PHP, Java, Lua. Maybe more, but these are the ones I can think of.

1.supose any code you need which pre-exist somewhere else in your script editor and you don't know where it is ,how will you find it .
2.how you understand the structure of essential ,do you read each script in every script section .
3.how you find the required graphics in deviant art as it is very enormous or big

1. Ctrl + (Shift) + F.
2. Nah. When I need something, I usually just search for it. If I can’t find it, I look at the names of the scripts for something that might be related. If I don’t understand what something does, I look more broadly at what the section does. But it’s all mostly classes and modules.
3. I only ever google. If that leads me to DeviantArt, so be it.

A.J1

Extra
What you have done first time coding in rgss when you don't know any code any class/module or any global variable or any thing else.

A.J1

Extra
Just dick around until it works. That’s how most of my old SM Pack was made.
What is sm I don't think I remember

Uhh... Sage maybe? I haven’t played or seen much, but what I did see looked pretty cool.

1. The more you use a certain module/class/method/property, the better you’ll remember it.
2. Desktop
3. iOS on my iPod Touch mostly, but sometimes Android when I’m on my phone.
4. Best-to-worst: Ruby, C#, JavaScript, PHP, Java, Lua. Maybe more, but these are the ones I can think of.

1. Ctrl + (Shift) + F.
2. Nah. When I need something, I usually just search for it. If I can’t find it, I look at the names of the scripts for something that might be related. If I don’t understand what something does, I look more broadly at what the section does. But it’s all mostly classes and modules.
3. I only ever google. If that leads me to DeviantArt, so be it.

Please give me some tips for coding in essential

Your favorite food and country and iron man mark suit
I think I ask a lot ever hence it's a discussion

A.J1

Extra
You told me that you like chemistry so let's clear my doubts
How so4 (sulphate) forms as they both form negative ions and valency of oxygen is 2.
For example - H20, hydrogen valency - 1
and oxygen valency - 2
They react and form H2O (cross valency placing)
Hope you understand.

What's an obstacle that you've bumped on game dev that's not lack of time?

Ruby 1.8 and RGSS being slow has definitely made some things in the past harder or impossible. Another thing I wish Ruby had was proper Net::HTTP for internet related things.

Sorry but I really not understand what's SM Pack, did you mean sun and moon or any other.
SM does stand for Sun & Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back