• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Iron Mapper IRON MAPPER: Season 3 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned

[Enter Custom Title Here]
Very excited to compete in this one, I was hoping I could get a bit of a break of mapping but when another Iron Mapper starts then that break is just going to have to wait. I can't wait to see what everyone does with this theme I am looking forward to it.

Limesy

Rookie
Geez, that was quick. Awesome! Now's my chance to join since I missed the last one. The theme is really nice as well, you can do so many things with mountains other than those blank empty ones that you stumble across a lot.

I was hoping I could get a bit of a break of mapping but when another Iron Mapper starts then that break is just going to have to wait
It's iron mapper, not fluffy cloud playhouse mapper. No rest, only mapping. Get back to work!! :laughing:

Arma

A Martian Hyena
WHOOHOOO!! Man, I don't know why, but it's really awesome to see this competition back! Glad I took a random visit to this site. This pretty much guarantees I'll be at least a bit more active around here. Love the theme too, I've been using elevation in pretty much all of my outdoor maps to spruce things up, so I'm fairly confident when it comes down to mapping mountains.

... Even though it has been around a year since I even touched RMXP for the last time. n-n" Oh well, perfect excuse to get back into it!

Side note: Yay, I seem to have gotten my mapping badge back! =D
EDIT: Spelling/grammar mistakes

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
WHOOHOOO!! Man, I don't know why, but it's really awesome to see this competition back! Glad I took random visit to this site. This pretty much guarantess I'll be at least a bit more active around here. Love the theme too, I've been using elevation in pretty much all of my outdoor maps to spruce things up, so I'm fairly confident when it comes down to mapping mountains.

... Even though it has been around a year since I even touched RMXP for the last time. n-n" Oh well, perfect excuse to get back into it!

Side note: Yay, I seem to have gotten my mapping badge back! =D
Hey Arma! it's always nice to see you! Mountains are my go to map, you can create natural borders and blockades that force the player to traverse how you want them to, while keeping the scenery fresh and interesting - I might rely on it a bit too much haha!
It's been so long since I've sat down and worked on Game Dev work, I've just been so busy with school, I'm always excited to see your maps though! Good luck on the trial!

kirlial

Novice
That was an awesome trial and there were so many great entries! Congrats to both winners, those maps were both well deserving of a win.

Thanks for for the critique from the judges as well, it's been helpful so far!

Arma

A Martian Hyena
Grats Cilerba and NoodlesButt! Really liked your maps, so it's no surprise to me that you guys won!

Also thanks for the feedback, it kinda confirmed what I was thinking. I was well aware of creating a rather 'tame' and narrow map (only gave myself two 8*6 'chunks' in width to work with, in order to keep things simple). So that explains why the path was rather linear. About the "mountain top" vs "grass" tile usage, I really wanted to give the impression that the map was getting more rocky as you're going up, but I can see your point. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks again for the feedback, you can expect something more daring for next trial!

Last edited:

Munching Blue

Just a new boy in school
When will this event take place?? I want to participate. I couldn't participate on the game jam so I am sad as my exams where on. But now I am free.

Dr. Pikachu PhD

Trust me, I'm a doctor. Technically.
When will this event take place?? I want to participate. I couldn't participate on the game jam so I am sad as my exams where on. But now I am free.
Lol I feel that. I failed pretty hard to at completing the game during the time period of the jam, but I LOVE mapping and I can't wait for this to start back up. In the meantime we can appease ourselves by playing all of the great new Jam games tho! ^.^

Arma

A Martian Hyena
Pardon the intrusion, but will season three be as short-lived as its predecessor? =(

Dr. Pikachu PhD

Trust me, I'm a doctor. Technically.
Yes, finally!! ^.^ After my abysmal failure trying to get a game finished for Game Jam, I'm excited to try my hand at this! And it's a great theme this time too, even better :)

Reactions: Deo

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
Since I'm not too sure about the definition of a dungeon could someone tell me what is needed to make it count as a dungeon ... because I'm not sure if what I'm making right now is a dungeon(it's not a prison either).

Reactions: Deo
Since I'm not too sure about the definition of a dungeon could someone tell me what is needed to make it count as a dungeon ... because I'm not sure if what I'm making right now is a dungeon(it's not a prison either).
If you're unsure, look to the official games for examples. You have things like Abandoned Ship, Eterna Forest, Turnback Cave, and Giant Chasm. Buildings can definitely be dungeons -- although I'm not sure if say, the Valley Windworks would count as one. Honestly, it just depends if you can properly justify it being a dungeon somehow. It's a pretty broad theme, and there isn't really a strict definition of what a dungeon is in a Pokémon game.

VanillaSunshine

.。.:*バニラ陽光*:.。.
At the advice of a friend, I'm hyped and so ready to give this a try!!

Though I'm wondering: let's say, as an example, someone wants to create a map that represents the inside of a building or maybe a cave. If their building/cave has multiple floors, is there any recommended way that the judges suggest participators handle those types of maps, to keep them visually appealing and prevent any possible confusion as to what's being looked at? There isn't a very nice way of organizing multiple floors onto one map aside from placing them around each other, and the way the multiple floors relate to each other might not be immediately obvious from just a screenshot alone. I'd hate for a participator's map to be at a disadvantage just because it's difficult to actually see multiple floored areas on one map.

Is there any specific way we should go about those types of maps, to make it easier on the judges and on everyone else viewing the map submission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back