• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Jeff

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
t8bfX5T.png

Made for the Relic Castle game jam in 2015, this is the first fangame I ever made. As such, there were several things I did not know. I spent an hour not understanding why the screen wouldn't fade to black in a certain event. The reason was I forgot the "wait" command. This game was a mistake, but a good one I guess since it got spotlighted.

Plot

Jeffs are disappearing! About two weeks ago, someone noticed that people were vanishing. Now it has been discovered that all the vanished citizens were named Jeff! Various folks claim to have seen shady men carrying Jeffs off, but they were too afraid to do anything about it.

Now you, the player, have gotten get a call from your mother saying that your father, Jeff, has also fallen victim to these shady men of kidnapping qualities. Dumbsparce in ball- ah, sorry, Dunsparce in ball, you head out to save your father from the shady men. Why are these shady men kidnapping Jeffs? Who are these shady men, and what do they hope to accomplish? Find out all this in the game, an adventure awaits filled with bad jokes and... more bad jokes. The game is essentially just a big, bad joke. Whoops.

Features

• An extraordinarily silly adventure filled with Jeffs, non-Jeffs and P.L.O.T devices.
  • A buffed Dumbsparce.
  • 12 rare pokemon obtainable by doing tediously simple tasks for strangers.
  • A whole lot of interactable objects that will tell you obvious details, bizarre thoughts, and make fun of modern art.
  • An entire small island to explore.
  • Bad jokes.

Screenshots

nK8FrS8.png
5Itw3j2.png
DJ2LUvI.png
mZIqwdO.png

XXZsoBo.png
rDYVfxt.png
J2XVwUn.png
TmWnbuZ.png

Credits

Pokémon - Nintendo/Game Freak
RPGmaker XP - Enterbrain
Pokémon Essentials - Flameguru, Maruno, Poccil,
Music - GlitchxCity
Sprites - Spriters Resource

Download

Oh boy it's the game.
Google drive

Resources

As this was made for the game jam, the custom graphics I made for this game were compiled here for you to use in your own game if you want.
Google drive

Last edited:

LunarDusk

The Greenest of Noibats
Hi there Hukon! I figured it was time for another review after finishing up Pokemon Jeff, and well...not gonna lie when I say I might have made the experience a bit more tedious after playing your second game jam game first. I do want to start with a few puts I did like, before offering some insight on the points that were a bit less positive.

For the Positives notes, here is what I found:

• The character and world building is spot on with Jeff. I love the silly, humorous tones just like you had made in Thyme, and the NPCs are all interesting and unique, which made me want to explore more. By the end of the game I was pretty much only using a party of pokemon given to me by completing sidequests, aside from my Nidoqueen.
  • Leveling was pretty accurate. There was never a moment that I felt severely underleveled, and that was honestly a good thing to have so I didn't have to stretch over massive grinding outside of trainer battles.
  • Maps werent overly complicated, and while this may be something I would complain about in a fully completed game, in a game jam entry I'm very glad that you didn't try to pad the run time by simply making complicated and intricate maps with puzzles that would make things super tedious.
And now, for the not as positive notes:

• Little nitpick to start, but the hidden items should be something you click on the tile next to the item, not when you're hovering over the item (at least from experience).
  • The story just wasnt that engaging or entertaining. Like I know you were trying to make a meta joke against all the stereotypes in normal games, but it almost went too far for me. It also just felt like a tedious story, because nothing was made to be taken at all serious, and thus I felt no connection to what I was playing. I loved Thyme for it's humor, but I see now that Jeff had too much of this slef-depricating/meta humor and it kinda ruined the experience for me.

With all this said, I still think as one of your first projects it was a solid project, and I think since this project you have made a lot of good steps in becoming a stronger developer. Keep up the good work!

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
Still love the game dude, it was quirky and so fun to play. It gets really difficult near the end, but it was a great play!
It didn't take itself too seriously, but felt like a real pokemon game.

It was so much fun to play for the jam, and it totally holds up now. Really, great work on this, your style was perfect, and the silly npc's just made the whole game feel unique and fun

AgitatedLemon6

Novice
A tip for anyone wanting to play this, be warned to not run from battles. Revolution J boss is about 5 levels higher than the grunts, so train as much as you can.

By the way, what is your team? I am using Wartortle, Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Dunsparce, and Rotom. Can't find a good 6th. I've done all of the quests I have come across, and none of the reward pokemon jumped at me. Neither does any of the wild pokemon... Maybe a Nidoking?

Edit: Nevermind, as soon as I say that I find a Riolu (How do I evolve it in this game? Levels?)

2-3 Hours? With playing and grinding, my time is 5 hours and 15 minutes. xD :/

Back