• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Legends: Apotheosis

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Version

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
HeroVoltsy has also started playing it which is how it has gotten my attention.
Basic question I ask of all fangames: will save files be transferable to future versions?
They should be! I'm not good enough at coding to even dream of touching the save file structure, so as long as you leave the Game.rxdata file alone you should be fine.

Thanks for the heads up on HeroVoltsy starting a playthrough! I'm off to lurk suspiciously now.

Lucifer

Fallen1
They should be! I'm not good enough at coding to even dream of touching the save file structure, so as long as you leave the Game.rxdata file alone you should be fine.

Thanks for the heads up on HeroVoltsy starting a playthrough! I'm off to lurk suspiciously now.
That sounds awesome to me.

Lucifer

Fallen1
I have started the game and so far so good.

I figured out that I can't soft reset with F12 because it produces some stack error although it popped up a few others times such as when I talked to the first NPC in the Mound.

Now the only issue I am having is sometimes when I close the game and reopen it, when the first credits pop-up on the screen, it shuts down. I am nature hunting in the Mound and prefer to reset the unfavorables as to not waste Pokeballs and PC slots (in this case Party slots as I don't have access to a PC yet that I am aware of).

This can happen anywhere from a few to several times before the game will load.

UPDATE: I have finished the demo. Looking forward to more!

Last edited:

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
I have started the game and so far so good.

I figured out that I can't soft reset with F12 because it produces some stack error although it popped up a few others times such as when I talked to the first NPC in the Mound.

Now the only issue I am having is sometimes when I close the game and reopen it, when the first credits pop-up on the screen, it shuts down. I am nature hunting in the Mound and prefer to reset the unfavorables as to not waste Pokeballs and PC slots (in this case Party slots as I don't have access to a PC yet that I am aware of).

This can happen anywhere from a few to several times before the game will load.

UPDATE: I have finished the demo. Looking forward to more!
Yeah, other users have reported the issue with the stack error popping up after resetting with F12 too. I haven't been able to replicate it yet, so if you could send me any screenshots you have that would be a big help!

You've finished the demo already, but you do get access to the PC once you leave the Mound, and you can get crafting items to get more Pokeballs from the Apricorn trees in the Jingling Zhu compound and the Tumblestones in the Mound itself! Sorry if it wasn't clear 😅

Lucifer

Fallen1
Yeah, other users have reported the issue with the stack error popping up after resetting with F12 too. I haven't been able to replicate it yet, so if you could send me any screenshots you have that would be a big help!

Sure I have one:
hEZdE5g.png

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
I just uploaded a new patch, which brings the game to v0.1.3! The link and change log are in the main post.

RyeonSpeed

Rookie
Hey! Just finished the demo, and I had a lot of fun with it! You did a really good job!

Here's my overall review of what I played:

-I really like the environment, things are pleasant to look at and your map geography is generally pretty good to navigate. (This seems like a minor thing but I've played JRPG projects in the past where the creators get a bit too lazy on map design and end up with ugly environments)
-The UI is generally really polished and is great to look at.
-I thought the difficulty curve and fights were generally fairly engaging. Not too easy, not too difficult, this is great to play when you're just looking for a fun time and not looking to spear some hard fights in the ass. However, I will say that the beginning cave area is a bit too overtuned for early game. I'd at least the first room in the cave to not have mons higher than lvl 10 so that players won't get jumpscared by a lvl 14 mon killing their starter.
-I liked the setup to the story and generally all the characters feel pretty likable, although there hasn't been enough of them yet for me to form a better opinion.
-The first Sect Trial was a blast to play through. It was reminiscent of Mallow's trial in S&M, which I also liked. I liked the fight with Mingze before fighting the sect leader, it's a nice story touch. The sect leader fight itself was a blow-over but that's mostly because I lucked out with Rollout lmfao
-Pokemon diversity is pretty good, I'd say, although I'd like to see a few water types other than the starter Popplio (I'm not sure if I missed out on a water type elsewhere but I don't think the Cherubi quest is completable in the demo?)
-The crafting system is good, but needs some fine tuning. I find that there's no real reason to make potions when Berry Juices heal the same amount and cost less. Personally, I'd either buff potions or nerf the Berry Juice recipe. I do appreciate how it reduces the strain of managing money for basic supplies since you can just make them yourself, though.
-I completely understand if you can't but I'd personally like a change in music, I don't feel like vanilla Pokemon music fits the cultivation fantasy theme that much. Nonetheless, as a fellow fangame creator who sometimes has trouble getting fitting assets, I do get if getting access to other insertable music is out of your realm of possibility.

Anyways, thanks for the game! I look forward to the next content update, keep up the good work.

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
Hey! Just finished the demo, and I had a lot of fun with it! You did a really good job!

Here's my overall review of what I played:

-I really like the environment, things are pleasant to look at and your map geography is generally pretty good to navigate. (This seems like a minor thing but I've played JRPG projects in the past where the creators get a bit too lazy on map design and end up with ugly environments)
-The UI is generally really polished and is great to look at.
-I thought the difficulty curve and fights were generally fairly engaging. Not too easy, not too difficult, this is great to play when you're just looking for a fun time and not looking to spear some hard fights in the ass. However, I will say that the beginning cave area is a bit too overtuned for early game. I'd at least the first room in the cave to not have mons higher than lvl 10 so that players won't get jumpscared by a lvl 14 mon killing their starter.
-I liked the setup to the story and generally all the characters feel pretty likable, although there hasn't been enough of them yet for me to form a better opinion.
-The first Sect Trial was a blast to play through. It was reminiscent of Mallow's trial in S&M, which I also liked. I liked the fight with Mingze before fighting the sect leader, it's a nice story touch. The sect leader fight itself was a blow-over but that's mostly because I lucked out with Rollout lmfao
-Pokemon diversity is pretty good, I'd say, although I'd like to see a few water types other than the starter Popplio (I'm not sure if I missed out on a water type elsewhere but I don't think the Cherubi quest is completable in the demo?)
-The crafting system is good, but needs some fine tuning. I find that there's no real reason to make potions when Berry Juices heal the same amount and cost less. Personally, I'd either buff potions or nerf the Berry Juice recipe. I do appreciate how it reduces the strain of managing money for basic supplies since you can just make them yourself, though.
-I completely understand if you can't but I'd personally like a change in music, I don't feel like vanilla Pokemon music fits the cultivation fantasy theme that much. Nonetheless, as a fellow fangame creator who sometimes has trouble getting fitting assets, I do get if getting access to other insertable music is out of your realm of possibility.

Anyways, thanks for the game! I look forward to the next content update, keep up the good work.

Thank you!! I'm glad to hear you had fun!! Noted on the early cave, I'll tune the levels in the first room so that it's less of an uphill slog there.

I did include a few options for Water-types (evolving Bidoof into Bibarel, Magikarp from PokeFeed/fishing, Ducklett and Tympole on Xinxi and Quanxi Road) but maybe the spawn rates could be better. I'll tweak those for sure!! Sorry you got stiffed by the RNG on that D:

Noted on the feedback on the crafting system and the Potions/Berry Juice thing. I'm following the Arceus recipes in that you'll need a base Potion in order to craft Super Potions, and Super Potions to craft Hyper Potions. Berry Juice is intended as an early game item that'll naturally taper off in usefulness as you progress through the game, and that's also easier for you to craft starting out from the Quiet Mound. I'll def consider tweaking the amount of HP they heal though!

I agree with you on the change in music eudhfuei but I ran out of time to select more relevant tracks and then teach myself to edit them so they looped, I'm going to work on that post-judging.

Thank you again for the feedback, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the demo!

RyeonSpeed

Rookie
Thank you!! I'm glad to hear you had fun!! Noted on the early cave, I'll tune the levels in the first room so that it's less of an uphill slog there.

I did include a few options for Water-types (evolving Bidoof into Bibarel, Magikarp from PokeFeed/fishing, Ducklett and Tympole on Xinxi and Quanxi Road) but maybe the spawn rates could be better. I'll tweak those for sure!! Sorry you got stiffed by the RNG on that D:

Noted on the feedback on the crafting system and the Potions/Berry Juice thing. I'm following the Arceus recipes in that you'll need a base Potion in order to craft Super Potions, and Super Potions to craft Hyper Potions. Berry Juice is intended as an early game item that'll naturally taper off in usefulness as you progress through the game, and that's also easier for you to craft starting out from the Quiet Mound. I'll def consider tweaking the amount of HP they heal though!

I agree with you on the change in music eudhfuei but I ran out of time to select more relevant tracks and then teach myself to edit them so they looped, I'm going to work on that post-judging.

Thank you again for the feedback, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the demo!
Seems I never ran into Ducklett and Tympole then, I was wondering where they were tbh lol

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to include in my initial review: idk if I somehow missed this but would it be possible for there to be some sort of feature that allows you to see a list of available pokemon per route?

Last edited:

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
Seems I never ran into Ducklett and Tympole then, I was wondering where they were tbh lol Oh, and one more thing I forgot to include in my initial review: idk if I somehow missed this but would it be possible for there to be some sort of feature that allows you to see a list of available pokemon per route?
Seems I never ran into Ducklett and Tympole then, I was wondering where they were tbh lol Oh, and one more thing I forgot to include in my initial review: idk if I somehow missed this but would it be possible for there to be some sort of feature that allows you to see a list of available pokemon per route?

Sure, I'll look into that! :)

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
Hey there! I'm still playing your game, but I found a pretty massive bug where the Combee event is supposed to be blocking the path.

You can talk to the guy instead of being in his line of sight, which will trigger the event 6 times and then let you past.

Thanks for telling me! I'll fix it ASAP.

EDIT: Did a quick bug fix, should be working fine now!

Last edited:

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
Okay, I've played through the entire demo! The game started with a handful of nitpicks and a few decisions I questioned, but it quickly came around and I ended up having a ton of fun, and there were a ton of really cool and fun ideas thrown around that I really liked in terms of story, worldbuilding, and gameplay motifs!

It actually took me a little bit before I realized the Sword was actually the bike and was floored for a second of how funny that is. I really liked the METASYS feature where it keeps track of all the lore and flavor text sections, and I really liked how you added those in the first place! It was honestly really cool to interact with stuff and get information on like the world, the sects, even the Oren Berries lmao. I really liked the attention you gave to the setting and the current dedication to it as well, rather than keeping stuff like that an afterthought. The world feels lived in that way! I tried to go back to one of the areas to learn more about a certain part of the story (Poison badge area) but was a little disappointed I didn't get to see the end of how that drama ended up (would've been fun side content to enjoy)

The gameplay started a little strange. I wasn't sure the reason was for Cave Random encounters and then also had overworld encounters pulling from the exact same pool, it made navigating the caves a little cumbersome, getting interrupted every few steps and dodging encounters in your face. I would choose to go one or the other (preferably keeping overworld encounters, I've never had fun Cave Encounters in any Pokemon game ever lol). I also felt the wild Pokemon level variance were a little strong, with me wiping twice before I even left the cave haha. Of course, this immediately got better when I finally got to keep going in the game, and the gameplay ended up being really smooth, fun, and just right in difficulty! The overworld encounters felt a lot better when they spawned in grass. I did have a major gripe with the way battling works:

My starter was Popplio and the rest of my part consisted of Pancham, Hisuian Growlithe, and Foongus. The issue is that through the entire game, Foongus and Pancham stayed about 10 levels under Growlithe and Popplio, due to the high number of Bug/Grass/Poison/Flying types. This basically led me to have to use only Growlithe and Popplio (positive/neutral match-ups to the above) for the majority of the game, with the other two lacking any good damaging moves to hit neutral targets, not enough Pokemon to hit super effectively, and thus not being really strong enough to keep up with the level curve. Coupled with no EXP.ALL/Share, this made using them impossible for the majority of the game without finding a specific space to grind them or slogging out a 1v1 fight (that I could've probably just won in 2-3 turns with Popplio and Growlite (which of course I didn't want to do). Going forward, I'd check the match-ups of catchable Pokemon going against enemy trainers and other wild encounters a little more meticulously, so that every Pokemon caught is useful against enough things in the game. It feels bad when a party member simply has no reason to be used!

I think the music choices could've been a little more fitting, some of the mapping/visual setpieces could've been a little stronger/memorable but when I got to the part with the pink trees it really stood out in a good way!! I love the setting of the region and the story pieces being set and so I'm really looking forward to seeing the physical region itself look just as good and unique!

Also the weirdest complaint you'll ever get, yeah okay, I get we lived in the mountains and we have basic robes and stuff but I'm like looking at a lot of the trainer designs (Parasol Lady, Xiaoqian etc) and I'm a little upset that everyone gets to look waaay better than me, cuz I was like "dude wait how come I don't get to have these everyone looks so pretty"?!?!? I hope it isn't against my Sect or anything to get a change of clothes down the lane or something lmao, sorry I go crazy for that kind of stuff

Anyway, I realized I said way more about this game than I usually do, but yeah, I had a lot of fun with the demo, at a certain point it was like 3 AM and I was like "okay i'm playing this for only 6 more minutes" and then I ended up playing the whole demo.

delusionsofgrandr

Novice
Okay, I've played through the entire demo! The game started with a handful of nitpicks and a few decisions I questioned, but it quickly came around and I ended up having a ton of fun, and there were a ton of really cool and fun ideas thrown around that I really liked in terms of story, worldbuilding, and gameplay motifs!

It actually took me a little bit before I realized the Sword was actually the bike and was floored for a second of how funny that is. I really liked the METASYS feature where it keeps track of all the lore and flavor text sections, and I really liked how you added those in the first place! It was honestly really cool to interact with stuff and get information on like the world, the sects, even the Oren Berries lmao. I really liked the attention you gave to the setting and the current dedication to it as well, rather than keeping stuff like that an afterthought. The world feels lived in that way! I tried to go back to one of the areas to learn more about a certain part of the story (Poison badge area) but was a little disappointed I didn't get to see the end of how that drama ended up (would've been fun side content to enjoy)

The gameplay started a little strange. I wasn't sure the reason was for Cave Random encounters and then also had overworld encounters pulling from the exact same pool, it made navigating the caves a little cumbersome, getting interrupted every few steps and dodging encounters in your face. I would choose to go one or the other (preferably keeping overworld encounters, I've never had fun Cave Encounters in any Pokemon game ever lol). I also felt the wild Pokemon level variance were a little strong, with me wiping twice before I even left the cave haha. Of course, this immediately got better when I finally got to keep going in the game, and the gameplay ended up being really smooth, fun, and just right in difficulty! The overworld encounters felt a lot better when they spawned in grass. I did have a major gripe with the way battling works:

My starter was Popplio and the rest of my part consisted of Pancham, Hisuian Growlithe, and Foongus. The issue is that through the entire game, Foongus and Pancham stayed about 10 levels under Growlithe and Popplio, due to the high number of Bug/Grass/Poison/Flying types. This basically led me to have to use only Growlithe and Popplio (positive/neutral match-ups to the above) for the majority of the game, with the other two lacking any good damaging moves to hit neutral targets, not enough Pokemon to hit super effectively, and thus not being really strong enough to keep up with the level curve. Coupled with no EXP.ALL/Share, this made using them impossible for the majority of the game without finding a specific space to grind them or slogging out a 1v1 fight (that I could've probably just won in 2-3 turns with Popplio and Growlite (which of course I didn't want to do). Going forward, I'd check the match-ups of catchable Pokemon going against enemy trainers and other wild encounters a little more meticulously, so that every Pokemon caught is useful against enough things in the game. It feels bad when a party member simply has no reason to be used!

I think the music choices could've been a little more fitting, some of the mapping/visual setpieces could've been a little stronger/memorable but when I got to the part with the pink trees it really stood out in a good way!! I love the setting of the region and the story pieces being set and so I'm really looking forward to seeing the physical region itself look just as good and unique!

Also the weirdest complaint you'll ever get, yeah okay, I get we lived in the mountains and we have basic robes and stuff but I'm like looking at a lot of the trainer designs (Parasol Lady, Xiaoqian etc) and I'm a little upset that everyone gets to look waaay better than me, cuz I was like "dude wait how come I don't get to have these everyone looks so pretty"?!?!? I hope it isn't against my Sect or anything to get a change of clothes down the lane or something lmao, sorry I go crazy for that kind of stuff

Anyway, I realized I said way more about this game than I usually do, but yeah, I had a lot of fun with the demo, at a certain point it was like 3 AM and I was like "okay i'm playing this for only 6 more minutes" and then I ended up playing the whole demo.
Oh my god, thank you for the kind and detailed review! I've been having an absolutely horrid week at work, so seeing this really brightened my day!

I'm glad you enjoyed the lore and flavour text, I've been watching some playthroughs and feeling pretty bummed that some of the flavour text gets skipped over. I genuinely think you're the first person who read the Oren berry book uiwefjhewuif. I'm definitely going to work in more plot on the Poison sect, and the other sects too! I just didn't feel that it was something I could achieve within the time limit.

Thank you for your feedback on the Pokemon matchups and your gameplay experience, I'm the type of player who switch-grinds obsessively so it wasn't something that occured to me! I'll take it into account for future trainers/routes, and I'll think about going back and revising the teams that the trainers have too.

Asdjfuf I'll see if I can draw up some new outfits for the player characters. The truth is, the PCs were the first sprites I designed, so their outfits ended up looking more basic. I'm really glad that you liked the trainer designs though!

Back